A must pack item for AK cruise tour???

napunani

Would a light weight Down parka be overkill?

I think a light weight one would be fine. You will be your coldest the morning of Tracy Arm because there are ice and mountains all around you and it gets windy.

From what I researched, it rains more in Aug then June or July so keep that in mind when packing.

Would like to hear from those who took AK cruise tour this summer...what is one thing you packed that you were happy you didnt leave at home???

Thanks!!

I haven't read the whole thread so I'm sure this has been mentioned before. But, it's worth repeating over and over....binocculars. Don't even consider going to Alaska without them. :)

• 3 weeks later...
I haven't read the whole thread so I'm sure this has been mentioned before. But, it's worth repeating over and over....binocculars. Don't even consider going to Alaska without them. :)

I'll say that they are a nessessity for any people who don't take photos.

My BIL used them all the time, but his DW is the photogragher.

I went without binocculars because I knew I wouldn't use them. I always have my camera with me that has a good optical zoom built in, so it would be too much to carry around the ship and we were saving luggage space.

can't find that LL Bean Storm Jacket that is waterPROOF.

this one is water resistant and has three layers:

http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/65688?feat=58537-ppxs&dds=y

that looks awesome (and it's on sale) because of the layering effect but it is not water proof which sounds like a big deal.

someone got a layered waterPROOF jacket they recommend?

I just got one from Eddie Bauer.....it's waterproof and windproof....just came yesterday.....I really like it!

DH wears 2XL, we both found rain jackets and rain pants at Bass Pro Shop, they have a whole department with rain gear. If you don't have that store, perhaps you have something similar, like Dick's sporting Goods, etc.?

• 6 months later...

My husband and I had a wonderful cruise last month on the Millenium Seward-Vancouver route.

My best tips for making your alaskan cruise better are:

1. have comfortable, well worn in walking shoes. I had relatively new ones and ended up with aching feet!

2. a waterproof hat with a wide brim (OR Snoqualmie) worked well for me- others had bill caps with their jackets hood to keep the rain off. It poured in Juneau and Ketchikan! Umbrellas do not work well in a crowd...

3. take the time to learn all the features of your new camera before you cruise!

Alaska was wonderful, I can't wait to go back!

Happy Cruising everyone!

we just returned from a cruise tour! had the time of my life but this is what you definately need to bring.

a weather proof jacket- only had rain one day Glacier Bay it was miserable out but you really wanted to be outside, the rain actually helped with the calving.

my husband had a scope and it was passed around the bus when we saw caribou and bears that were a little further out

a camera with a telescopic lens

good walking shoes probably hiking would be best

and yes my husband wore shorts every day!

in Denali it was really windy and the sand was blowing so glad we had hats with neck strings so they would not blow away

and sunglasses.

like the idea of a battery operated night light wish we had thought of that.

Just returned from AK and there were 2 things that I noticed. 1) the ponchos were pretty much ineffective. We saw lots of ponchos while on rainy tours that the ponchos were just blowing all over and didn't cover what it should have. Rain jacket needed, I had mine and stayed dry the whole time.

Very helpful thread indeed. We returned 2 weeks ago from Alaska and I did not want to buy a rain proof jacket just for the trip, I might not use it ever again. So I bought identical ponchos from the Dollarstore and cut off the bottom part of poncho no 2 and sew it quickly onto the the bottom of poncho no 1 and whala I had a long poncho that cover my whole body down to my feet for $ 4 total.

It rained heavily in Ketchican and my long poncho was fantastic.. it kept my pants and shoes dry and also I had my bag with camera, money, etc over my shoulder and under my poncho. My hubby went and bought an expensive rain coat which kept his top parts dry but his pants and shoes got soaked, while I stayed dry as a bone. its lightweight and packes easily in your bag for when you need it. Its the best $ 4 investment I have made for my Alaska cruise !

For those of you from warm climates, no need to invest in a costly rain jacket, if money is an issue, bring a hooded light jacket that you already have and just layer it underneath with soft nice comfy fleece jacket and a layer or 2 underneath eg short sleeve T shirt and make yourself an inexpensive long poncho and you will save a bundle and be dry all the time.

Something that was very handy is to bring a men's ball cap.. its great to wear on rainy days under your hoody if you wear glasses.. it keeps the rain off your glasses.

Something I will bring next time, is good detailed maps of the route of the ship..I saw people with Garmin satelite, I forgot the word now, and they were mapping our route as we went.. the ships's map on the TV in our room was not detailed enough. So many channels and islands along the way, I would have love to follow our route a bit better.

For the cold days out on deck for the girls, a pair of pantyhose underneath a nice pair or sweats as an extra layer is lightweight and very warm or just wear 2 pairs of pants over one another eg in Glacier Bay.

I used my fleecy head band to keep my ears and forehead warm a lot on the outer decks and thin gloves and a nice soft fleecy scarve to keep my neck warm, was things I used a lot.

Next time I will pack 5 T shirts for hubby, a T shirt during the day was always his 1st layer as its warm inside the ship .. we packed too many warm things and not enough 1 st layers of short sleeves.

Did not use the insulated mugs we packed but used my small alarm clock a lot to see the time during the night.

Bring small amount of insect repellant as we had very hungry mozzies on our days out and about.

• 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
Anyone take an umbrella?

Some people have. It's generally not a recommended item, as it's difficult to handle an umbrella, camera, tour books, and whatever else you might have in your hands while out touring.

And poking someone's eye out while trying to be in a crowded space with others is not fun.

The recommendation is usually to have a good waterproof jacket with hood.

• 1 month later...

Sunscreen.

I put it on my face everyday on our Alaskan cruise because with the cool weather you can't feel the sun as strong but it still gets you. My BIL had the back of his neck turn very sore and red from the White Pass Rail and Glacier hike in Skagway. He was starting to peel on the flight home.

Anyone take an umbrella?

Just back. Took an umbrella, never needed it. We had gorgeous weather the whole time. No rain and it wasn't cold except in the fjord.

Take GOOD binoculars! Whale sightings from the ship and on the whale watching trip in Juneau!

If you have a jacket that is the nylon/windbreaker type that also has a detachable fleece liner BUT is not waterproof, my mother suggested that we purchase a can of SCOTCHGARD and really spray the outer jacket really well. Did it and it worked better (and was cheaper) having to purchase a new jacket. Will be taking the same jacket with me but will add a couple of sweatshirts as we are going farther north than the last two cruises.

Previous Cruises:

Alaska - Westerdam - September 2009

Alaska- Rotterdam - September 2010

Mexican Riveria - Oosterdam - April 2011

Future Cruises – in planning stage:

2012 - Alaska - 14 day cruise

2013 - Eastern Med - 28 day (includes cruising Black Sea)

I like your idea of Scotchguarding the jacket. Could you tell if the spray affected the feel of the jacket (stiff or sticky) or the fabric? I am borrowing a friend's very thin down jacket and would like to spray it, if you think it would be ok.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

All the obvious from above..waterproof gear, hats, gloves, etc. My DH wore the same outer shirt every day, until I washed it and he continued to wear it.

We liked having magnets, and an Alaska map to have on the wall so we could follow our route. Also used magnets to have the latest onboard newsletter. Our cruise had computer classes, and we wanted to be sure to go to those.

I got a collapsible "tray" with compartments from the dollar store, and liked to have it out for miscellaneous stuff. We kept our cabin very tidy(as opposed to at home :-/). I used an over the door small thing from the dollar store and hung it on the towel bar tray, and kept meds, make up, lotion, misc. in it...it took up no room in the luggage, and made it convenient to find stuff in the bathroom.

We took febreeze room spray for the bathroom, which was a nice courtesy item..I figured I would leave it there, but had plenty of room to bring it back, and will use it at home.

Flashlights

Battery operated clock

thermal mugs for coffee or cold drinks

shelf liner from the dollar store for bedside stands so things wouldn't roll off

We packed all our clothes for Alaska in our carry ons, and took soda, wine, and misc. stuff in our checked bag. DH wore his sport coat on the plane, and carried his fleece. I carried my fleece and waterproof jacket. Had plenty of room, and didn't really overpack...our weather was great, so we didn't need our waterproof stuff, but who knew? Better to be safe than sorry,

You don't need extra hangers on HAL...they had more than we could possibly use, and more closets/storage than we could ever need. Wish the hotels we visit for a week at a time had as much storage/hangers!

I like your idea of Scotchguarding the jacket. Could you tell if the spray affected the feel of the jacket (stiff or sticky) or the fabric? I am borrowing a friend's very thin down jacket and would like to spray it, if you think it would be ok.

Trust me - scotchguard spray will NOT make a garment even close to water resistant - I tried! Buy a waterproof jacket - you will never regret it! I was the only one who did not have one in our group and I was wet and miserable! Bought a Columbia Bugaboo 3 in one jacket when I got home! Is perfect and kept me water proof in Venice during all the flooding last December. Light weight and can be worn several ways! See if you have a Columbia outlet near you- best money I have spent in a long time!

I found a rain suit, jacket and pants, at Walmart for $10. Bought one for DH and me and will stick them in the backpack. If we don't need them, I can return them.

Do you or anyone else have a source for a wall map of the Inside Passage? I like the idea of having it displayed on the wall of our cabin. I googled around, and couldn't find an inexpensive paper "road" map of the area that could be ordered online.