Would you sail to West Africa?

Would you sail to West Africa?  

176 members have voted

1. 1. Would you sail to West Africa?

• Yes, I love to try new things.
    • Yes, I'm sick of the typical tourist traps.
    • Yes, I love the adventure of "less developed" ports.
    • Maybe, if it's part of an overall voyage that interests me.
    • Maybe when there's more infrastructure.
    • Maybe, but I'll have to do some research first.
    • No, I prefer more well-known ports of call.
    • No, I stick to ports that are closer to home.
    • I have another answer, which I'll post.

For many of those who cruise frequently, new ports of call are a welcome deviation from standard destinations. We're curious whether up-and-coming ports in West Africa will become the next big thing. What do you think? Please check out our story here (http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3738), and be sure to vote in our poll!

~Ashley :)

Edited by Dan Askin

I'd go in a heartbeat. We stopped in Senegal and Morocco on the (old) Royal Princess in 2005. Unfortunately I'm not retired and don't have the same allotment of vacation days as I had before. The Princess itineraries look fantastic, but they're 31-day voyages.

By the way, we were lucky our CD was able to have the Ballet National du Senegal give a single performance aboard ship. It was the best "folkloric" performance we've ever seen on a cruise.

• 3 weeks later...

I have lived and worked there and cruised there with Fred. Olsen. There is so much to see and learn. In the former French colonies (Senegal, Cote 'Ivoire, Togo etc) the infrastructure tends to be better than in other countries. However, Ghana and Sierra Leone have lots to offer. I think visits there by more cruise ships would be great for the passengers and beneficial to the economies of the host countries.

Not only would I cruise there, I am already booked. We sail May 7 from Cape Town up the west coast of Africa and end in Dover on June 7.

I am also booked on 5th November for 31 days Southampton to Southampton on the Saga Ruby.

• 2 months later...

Just came back from the May 7 sailing in Ocean Princess, Cape Town to Dover and thoroughly enjoyed it; some of the cities were new to me and were helpful in providing a glimpse as to how many people in the world cope with daily life.

Would not hesitate to consider a similar itinerary in the future.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Not only would I cruise there, I am already booked. We sail May 7 from Cape Town up the west coast of Africa and end in Dover on June 7.

Hi Paul,

Super! How did you like your cruise? I can hardly wait to go there...

Did you post some commentaries about your trip? Where can I read it?

What excursions did you take in Senegal, Ghana, Togo, Benin & Namibia if you sailed there?

I hope you read this message. I am not really familiar with this site Cruise Critic yet, but I feel I will like it...

MoniqueMontreal,

If you give me your email address I can send you my diary which covers the cruise from Capetown to Le Havre.

I also have a list of the Tour Guides we used in all the different countries.

Jennie

Hi Jennie:

We are also planning on doing a West Africa cruise from CapeTown to Dover on the Ocean Princess. Would you mind forwarding your itinerary and tours to me at tjbrowneller at wbhsi.com? (replacing "at" with @ sign). Please include any comments that you may have regarding the tours.

I also have the cruise segment right before the one above that goes from Singapore to Capetown. Cannot do both time wise but my wife thinks that the West Africa would be safer and away from pirates:))

Thank you so much for helping us with all the information that you can give to us.

Terry and Judy

Hi Jennie:

We are also planning on doing a West Africa cruise from CapeTown to Dover on the Ocean Princess. Would you mind forwarding your itinerary and tours to me at tjbrowneller at wbhsi.com? (replacing "at" with @ sign). Please include any comments that you may have regarding the tours.

I also have the cruise segment right before the one above that goes from Singapore to Capetown. Cannot do both time wise but my wife thinks that the West Africa would be safer and away from pirates:))

Thank you so much for helping us with all the information that you can give to us.

Terry and Judy

We have done both segments (Cape Town to Singapore and Cape Town to Dover) and loved them both. We never felt in any danger from the pirates. Captain Ravera decided to skip the scheduled stop in the Seychelles after half a dozen pirate attacks in that area. We gave those islands a wide berth as we sailed from Madagascar to Oman. Princess has taken the Seyshelles off the itinerary for sailings after ours last fall.

We were just looking at new Princess itinerary for 2012. They are offerring the Capetown to Dover trip in May, 2012. Sounds interesting.

Glad to see all the input about this itinerary. We are not familiar with the ports offered. Is there anyway to arrange a safari for a few days between ports? Does Princess ever offer this as an overland trip? Let me know. Thank you.

Princess did not offer an overland tour to the game parks.

A number of people came to southern Africa early for a safari to one or more of the game parks.

Thanks for the information. If you know of anyone who went early to go on a safari I hope that you may give to me any information that you may have. I am at tjbrowneller at wbhsi.com.

Terry (and Judy)