Any Problems Cruising with a Small Travel Rollator

Rocknie

My wife and I have not been on a cruise for over twenty years, but we are sailing once again in late October. Since our first cruise, I've had three back surgeries and two knee replacements (too much H.S. & college FB). I can't walk more then twenty yards and can't stand for any length of time. I travel with a small rollator which, allows me to walk without much difficulty, sit to rest when needed, and is light enough my DW can carry it up stairs, if necessary. We travel often and it has never been a problem on either airlines or taxis (fits easily into trunk). However, I'm nervous about using it on the cruise ship and concerned about taking it on excursions. Anyone have any experiences or areas of concern I should know about in advance? Thanks for your understanding and help!! :)

I travel regularly on airplanes and cruise ships with a 4 wheel rollator. Never had an issue or concern using it. You will definitely will not be the only one on board ship using one as many people cruise with walker and or rollators. Have taken my rollator on many excursions. Please do not stress over this.

When flying you can use the walker right up until your board the plane. At which time the rollator will than be left on the jet way to be loaded onto the plane. It will than be returned onto the jet way at your destination. Just remember when you get to the gate check in at the desk to make certain that the rollator is properly tag.

Should not be a problem.

Having said that here are a few tips:

Elevators are a congestion problem. When you have a chance get on. It does not matter if it is going in the wrong direction. It will turn around and go where you want to.

In the MDR, your wait staff will store your rollalater until you are ready for it.

There will be more DS on early Seating than late.

Do not try to be first in line for MDR. Show up 30 minutes pre-dinner, get a drink, sit relax, wait for the line to go down.

My wife and I have not been on a cruise for over twenty years, but we are sailing once again in late October. Since our first cruise, I've had three back surgeries and two knee replacements (too much H.S. & college FB). I can't walk more then twenty yards and can't stand for any length of time. I travel with a small rollator which, allows me to walk without much difficulty, sit to rest when needed, and is light enough my DW can carry it up stairs, if necessary. We travel often and it has never been a problem on either airlines or taxis (fits easily into trunk). However, I'm nervous about using it on the cruise ship and concerned about taking it on excursions. Anyone have any experiences or areas of concern I should know about in advance? Thanks for your understanding and help!! :)

Consider requesting assistance with boarding the ship. It is a long walk to the ship once you get into the cruise terminal, most certainly more than what you stated you can do. Wheelchair assistance is available and it will help you get onboard without becomming exhausted. You and your DW can pile your carry on bags onto the rollater, and someone from the cruise ship will push the wheelchair onboard. Depending upon what time you arrive, you can be dropped off in the Windjammer, or in the Centrum area, or even in your cabin if it is ready.

The wheelchair the cruise line provides is just for boarding, so you won't be able to use it for the duration of the cruise. If you decide to rent a wheelchair for use on board, it will be delivered to your cabin and at the end of the cruise it will be picked up from the cabin as well.

Once onboard, you can stop at the guest services desk to request wheelchair assistance for debarking at the end of the cruise.

I've used my rollator on multiple cruises and have never had any problem at all.

Enjoy your trip!

Great and timely info...I'm going with my 90 yr old mom on a 4 day next month, and I was wondering about which walker she should bring, so I was glad to hear she could bring her rollie on the flight and it would be gate checked.

I also am glad to hear that you can get wheelchair assistance with boarding. Mom can walk well enough with her walker, but I'm not familiar enough with Port Canaveral to know if it would be a huge walk or not. Do you just call the cruise line to arrange it, or is it through the Port?

We're so looking forward to this trip and anything I can do to make it a little less taxing for Mom would be a bonus!

Thanks

Rollator made great difference on my last cruise. There were enough that the AD could have set up a race. NEW ITEM I don't know how much more it weighs, but Drive has a Wheelchair/Rollator model. Really can safely push on or walk.

If not for this Board I wouldn't have known about a Rollator. Mine is a 11# Medline. Costco and Walgreen stores usually stock them.

Happy Sails,

Blessings, Gail

Great and timely info...I'm going with my 90 yr old mom on a 4 day next month, and I was wondering about which walker she should bring, so I was glad to hear she could bring her rollie on the flight and it would be gate checked.

I also am glad to hear that you can get wheelchair assistance with boarding. Mom can walk well enough with her walker, but I'm not familiar enough with Port Canaveral to know if it would be a huge walk or not. Do you just call the cruise line to arrange it, or is it through the Port?

We're so looking forward to this trip and anything I can do to make it a little less taxing for Mom would be a bonus!

Thanks

You request wheelchair assistance through the cruise line for boarding and disembarking. Note that you may have to wait for them to push others, esp. at disembarking.

You might want to consider renting a wheelchair during the cruise since ships are big and to get best out of seeing ports.

I take rollator and wheelchair for my 91 year old father.

Good luck and have fun.

I use a scooter on board. I most ports, I use my rollator. I have learned that private tours are a lot more accomadating to disabled folk that the cruise line tours. I take tours that use vans and not large buses. They are much easier to get on and off and they just put the rollator in the back. They are cheaper too.

• 2 weeks later...

Scooter rental can be obtained from "Special needs at sea". I just got a quote for $287.00 including taxes for a 15 day cruise out of Los Angeles. The scooter will be in our cabin when we arrive and we will leave it there when we depart.

This will greatly enhance my cruise experience, as I have chronic knee pain, and cannot walk very far. Very excited about this option.

• 1 month later...

I use a rollator all the time. My therapist told me I need the exercise! :) mine folds up and stores against a wall or in the doorway when I'm in the room for the night. I put it out first thing in the morning while I get ready.

In the theaters I push it up against the stage to keep it out of the way of other pax/ performers. Sign in with special needs and let them know you have one for muster drills. I love the basket under my seat to store books, cameras, kindle, etc. I've even pushed it during a Halloween parade!