Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Old September 28th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Same Sex Cruising - Beefs and Bouquets!

On another post of mine about same sex marriage, I noticed a great deal of gay cruisers have many stories, good and bad to tell. My spouse and I have been treated like gold for all our cruises. We only had one incident while during a Show on Celebrity Solstice a comedian told a bad gay joke which we and a lovely lesbian couple we had just met at the FOD found offensive. We left the show and reported it to customer service and they took it very very seriously. We were told immediately that they value their gay customers. They had a little chat with that comedian.

Will you share your experiences?

Check out my Travel Adventures on Video! http://www.youtube.com/deekie13

Countdown...

Old September 29th, 2010, 10:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

We've had no bad experiences other than the occasional passenger making a snide comment, which has been rare and attributed to ignorance.

We went on a cruise in 2009 for my 50th birthday and ended up with a group of 65 friends along. For the night of my birthday, I hosted a dinner at the Crown Grill (we had arranged this ahead of time) and had the entire middle section in the back with plenty of passengers around us.

During the dinner, my partner got up and made a speech (the other passengers were listening quite intently) and presented me (in front of our friends and the entire restaurant) with a diamond commitment ring.

Many times rest of the cruise, people would stop me and ask if I was the one whose partner had given him the ring. When I said yes, they responded with congratulations, etc.

Old September 29th, 2010, 12:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

We've never had a bad experience which probably explains why we're at 25 cruises and counting. We're very partial to Celebrity having sailed many other lines.

We were on a cruise in 2008 with a group of friends celebrating various milestones. It happened to be our 20th anniversary. Much to our surprise and my embarrassment, our friends arranged for an anniversary cake, the waiters were beaming and I think as excited for our friends as they sang to us. Later the waiter asked how long we had been together, the maitre'd came by to congratulate us. It was a nice evening.

I think many passengers are blithely unaware we're a couple. We have often traveled with my in-laws and we hear someone tell my MIL, "you're so lucky to have your boys travel with you" or "your boys look so much alike" or some such comment. And my FIL is totally into helping us "find" the other gay couples on board. It's cute.

Old September 29th, 2010, 03:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

We've been cruising since 2000, and I can't think of one unpleasant experience. After trying a few different cruise lines, we settled on Princess as our best fit. Being from Southern California (born, raised and will die here) my attitude was quite different from my husbands - he grew up in rural Michigan, didn't get to Cal until 1980 when we met. His attitude has relaxed totally over the course of our years together and Princess has always been supportive. If there have been passengers who objected to our relationship, they had the good sense to keep it to themselves.
Regal Princess - Mexico - Oct. 2005
Celebrity Summit - Alaska - May. 2006
Celebrity Summit - Hawaii - Dec. 2006
Regal Princess - Hawaii - May 2007
Diamond Princess - Hawaii - Sept. 2007
Dawn Princess - Mexico - Feb. 2008
Island Princess - Panama Canal - Sept. 2008
Golden Princess - Hawaii - Dec. 2008
HAL Ryndam - Sea of Cortez - Mar. 2009
HAL Veendam - Sea Of Cortez - Oct. 2009
Coral Princess - Panama Canal - Dec. 2009
Golden Princess - Hawaii - April 2010
Golden Princess - Hawaii - Dec. 2010
Sapphire Princess - Hawaii - Mar. 2011
Sapphire Princess - Pacific Coastal - Sept 2011
Sapphire Princess - Hawaii - Nov. 2011
Golden Princess - Hawaii - Jan. 2012
Golden Princess - Hawaii - Nov. 2012
Star Princess - Hawaii - Jan. 2014

Old September 29th, 2010, 03:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Borrego View Post
Being from Southern California ... my attitude was quite different from my husband's - he grew up in rural Michigan, didn't get to Cal until 1980 when we met. His attitude has relaxed totally over the course of our years together and Princess has always been supportive. If there have been passengers who objected to our relationship, they had the good sense to keep it to themselves.
Perhaps my attitude still needs some adjustment. Of the two of us, I'm the one with lingering reticence to closing the closet door behind me. I'm more cautious about when or before whom to refer to my husband as ... well, as my husband. Whether that's from being a few years older, or from being a rural Michigander, I'm unsure. Nevertheless, our cruises, along with the GLBT get-together meetings that most ships provide, have played no small part in our enjoying our lives together.

Completed Cruises:
Sapphire Princess (Hawaii, Mar 2011)
Golden Princess (Hawaii, Dec 2010)
Golden Princess (Hawaii, Apr 2010)
Coral Princess (Panama Canal, Dec 2009)
ms Veendam (Sea of Cortez, Oct 2009)
ms Ryndam (Sea of Cortez, Feb 2009)
Golden Princess (Hawaii, Dec 2008)
Island Princess (Panama Canal, Sep 2008)
Dawn Princess (Mexico, Feb 2008)
Diamond Princess (Hawaii, Sep 2007)
Regal Princess (Hawaii, May 2007)
GTS Summit (Hawaii, Dec 2006)
GTS Summit (Alaska, May 2006)
Regal Princess (Mexico, Oct 2005)
Regal Princess (Panama Canal, Dec 2004)
Vision of the Seas (Mexico, Dec 2002)
ms Veendam (Alaska, May 2000)

Last edited by Ringtail; September 29th, 2010 at 03:47 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 15th, 2010, 10:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hello Trickie

Nice thread!!! We have been on about 15 cruises, mostly Celebrity and RCCL, but also Princess, NCL, and Carnival. We have NEVER had a bad experience, far from it. We dont kiss and hug out in public but we are obviously a couple, dancing together in the disco etc. Most people really seem to like getting to know us, and we have a great time. I have never even seen anyone so much as give a sneer or dirty look or rolled eyes. I think it is due to much more awareness these days.

Kent and Tom
Attached Images
File Type: jpg OASIS St Thomas Kent Tom.jpg (27.2 KB, 186 views)

Old October 21st, 2010, 08:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

8 years back, my partner's ex and I turned 50 and 40 respectively, so we took a cruise out of Port Canavaral with 35 friends to celebrate. (our birthdays are 10 years and a day apart......creepy, I know.....)

We used a gay travel agent out of DC that we had found on the internet, and he thought it sounded like such a good time that he also booked the trip...

The crowds on trips out of Central Florida seem to be a bit more middle America than the crowds out of Miami and FLL, so evidently, our group was quite the topic of conversation throughout the ship....

Our TA was walking through the lobby one night when he overheard a more mature woman say to her husband, "Oh look! That's one of the gay boys!", to which the TA went up to her to thank her, since it had been so long since anyone had called him a boy!
MIAMI MARLINS
FLORIDA PANTHERS
CHICAGO BULLS
CHICAGO BEARS

2014--MSC Divina
2014--NCL Epic
2013--Carnival Breeze
2013--RCCL Liberty of the Seas
2012--NCL Sky
2012--NCL Sky
2011--NCL Sky
2011--NCL Epic
2010--RCCL Independence of the Seas
2010--Celebrity Century
2009--NCL Pearl
2009--NCL Sky
2009--Carnival Destiny
2009--RCCL Freedom of the Seas
2008--Celebrity Constellation
2007--HAL Westerdam
2007--RCCL Liberty of the Seas
2006--Caribbean Princess
2005--RCCL Brilliance of the Seas
2003--Carnival Imagination
2002--RCCL Monarch of the Seas
2001--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
2000--Carnival Imagination
1999--Carnival Fascination
1998--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
1996--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
1994--NCL Windward
1993--NCL Westward

Old October 21st, 2010, 09:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Being Gay - (should be)Non-Issue

My Partner and I enjoy taking cruises and have meet so many wonderful people and have had tons of memorable experiences.

We read with interest when individuals state that they have never had any unpleasant experiences or overheard anti-Gay comments.
Cruises mirror the demographics and attitudes of society. Yes, we have had numerous looks and comments made.

In addition, we have had comedians who clearly crossed the line in their comments regarding Gays. We addressed these situations
on board but honestly feel a double standard exists. In our opinion, if the same comments were made regarding other groups it would be
offensive but regarding Gays it is acceptable.

Before taking a cruise, we have put a roll call for the cruise in the Gay/Lesbian CC roll call thread with no responses. We have also
attended the Friends of Dorothy meetings but rarely meet anyone to socialize with.

We always request a table for two in the main dining room. On a number of our cruises we have requested larger tables
when individuals have wanted to dine with us.

On all of our cruises the majority of the crew has been very Gay friendly (if not Gay themselves). For whatever reason the only negative/hostile crew members we
have encountered have been individuals who were from India.

On our Europe cruise this past summer, we spend several days in Copenhagen before and after the cruise. It was so wonderful for the first
time in our lives to be in an environment where being openly Gay is non-issue. We did not want to return to the United States.

And, as for the current "hot topic" - bullying - bullying comes in many forms, among them being hurtful and hateful speech. We have heard some of the most hateful speech on or travels, and no longer ignore it.

Rick/John
Carnival Mardi Gras - November 1975 - Caribbean -Carnival Spirit - January 2009 - Mexican Riviera-Holland America Zaandam - April 2009 - Hawaii-RCL Serenade of the Seas - September 2009 - Alaska/West Coast-Coral Princess - January 2010 - Panama Canal-Carnival Miracle - March 2010 - Southern Caribbean-Azamara Journey - August 2010 - Northern Europe-Carnival Glory - October 2010 - New England/Canada-Carnival Miracle - January 2011 - Southern Caribbean-Golden Princess - April 2011 - Hawaii-Allure of the Seas - May 2011 - Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Millennium - September 2011 - Central America/Panama Canal-Jewel of the Seas - December 2011 - Mexico Monarch of the Seas - October 2012 - Bahamas Caribbean Princess April 2013 - Southern Caribbean - Carnival Paradise - August 2013 - Mexico
Golden Princess - August 2014 - Alaska

Brilliance of the Seas - December 2014 - Caribbean
Emerald Princess December 2015 - Southern Caribbean

The World is a Book, and those that do not travel read only one page - Saint Augustine

Old October 22nd, 2010, 07:25 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trickie Dickie View Post
On another post of mine about same sex marriage, I noticed a great deal of gay cruisers have many stories, good and bad to tell. My spouse and I have been treated like gold for all our cruises. We only had one incident while during a Show on Celebrity Solstice a comedian told a bad gay joke which we and a lovely lesbian couple we had just met at the FOD found offensive. We left the show and reported it to customer service and they took it very very seriously. We were told immediately that they value their gay customers. They had a little chat with that comedian.

Will you share your experiences?
We had the same experience as you on HAL except for two important differences. It was the cruise director who made the joke and nobody would apologize or acknowledge it was wrong. He was actually boo'd from the crowd and he said "c.mon, you know I'm just kidding." I doubt he'd have substituted black, Muslim or Jewish" for gay in his joke.
Past Cruises: RCL (Allure, Oasis, Freedom, Liberty (x2), Adventure, Navigator, Mariner, Brilliance, Enchantment (x2), Majesty (x2), Sovereign), Celebrity (Constellation, Century, Solstice(x2), Eclipse), HAL (Westerdam), NCL (Sky, Star), Princess (Sapphire Princess, Ocean Princess), Carnival (Dream)

Upcoming: Celebrity Reflection - November 2013 * Quantum of the Seas - January 2015

Old October 22nd, 2010, 09:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down Comedians play to their audiences

Comedians, simply board the ship in one port, stay on for a night or two and then leave. In our opinion, cruise ships are like society in general: if a comedian does not feel there are any Gay onboard...laughs at the expense of Gays are acceptable.

Our first bad experience was on HAL. We addressed what occurred, only to receive excuses. This past spring on the Carnival Miracle we walked out
when the comedian said: "I need to use an anti-Gay disinfectant". When we addressed this: we again simply got excuses from the Cruise Director.
Carnival Mardi Gras - November 1975 - Caribbean -Carnival Spirit - January 2009 - Mexican Riviera-Holland America Zaandam - April 2009 - Hawaii-RCL Serenade of the Seas - September 2009 - Alaska/West Coast-Coral Princess - January 2010 - Panama Canal-Carnival Miracle - March 2010 - Southern Caribbean-Azamara Journey - August 2010 - Northern Europe-Carnival Glory - October 2010 - New England/Canada-Carnival Miracle - January 2011 - Southern Caribbean-Golden Princess - April 2011 - Hawaii-Allure of the Seas - May 2011 - Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Millennium - September 2011 - Central America/Panama Canal-Jewel of the Seas - December 2011 - Mexico Monarch of the Seas - October 2012 - Bahamas Caribbean Princess April 2013 - Southern Caribbean - Carnival Paradise - August 2013 - Mexico
Golden Princess - August 2014 - Alaska

Brilliance of the Seas - December 2014 - Caribbean
Emerald Princess December 2015 - Southern Caribbean

The World is a Book, and those that do not travel read only one page - Saint Augustine

Old October 28th, 2010, 04:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hope you don't mind me contributing to this thread people.
UK Straight couple (with gay daughter) who tend to gravitate towards gays on board, more by coincidence than design, as we just seem to get on particularly well with gay people.
More extrovert, more fun, and we tend to enjoy our cruises more with them.
Spent last years Mariner OTS ex-LAX with two guys Craig and Jack. They made our cruise.

I get very frustrated by this "them" and "us" philosophy. It's all about going away and having a good time. Orientation is a total irrelevance.

Simple as!!!

Old October 29th, 2010, 11:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

My husband and I absolutely love cruising. We have never done a "gay cruise." We love meeting other passengers on-board and have rarely had any problems. As others have reported, we've had comedians make comments and we had a cabin steward who was a bit cold to us on one cruise. But for the most part the crew have always been warm and welcoming and we've met some absolutely wonderful people, both straight and gay in our travels.
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera - October 2006
Norwegian Dawn - Canada/New England- Oct 2007
Pride of America -Hawaii - December 2007
Norwegian Pearl - Alaska - August 2008
Norwegian Star - Mexican Riviera - October 2008
Norwegian Pearl - Pacific Coastal - September 2009
Sapphire Princess - Pacific Coastal - September 2009
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - March 2010
Royal Princess - Pacific coastal - September 2010
Diamond Princess - Australia/New Zealand - January 2011
Norwegian Star - Western Caribbean - December 2011
Coral Princess - Pacific Coastal - September 2012
Norwegian Dawn - Western Caribbean - December 2012
Diamond Princess - Australia / New Zealand - February 2013
Golden Princess -Inside Passage - September 2013
Norwegian Jewel - Pacific Coastal - September 2014
Norwegian Getaway - Eastern Caribbean -December 2014

Old July 3rd, 2011, 04:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

We had one bad experience on a South Pacific cruise out of Sydney on Dawn Princess. There was actually a large G&L contingent aboard, about 18 came to the LGBT drinks and a gay entertainment member managed to get us free champagne each time. However one night we went to go see the late show of a cabaret entertainer we knew from gay pubs in Sydney. We arrived to find out the show was cancelled and when we asked a staff member why we were told the show was too "gay" and that Princess was a family line and didn't go for that thing.

After a number of complaints the cruise director came and made a not very sincere apology, made up for only by the fact that he brought more free champagne.

Otherwise we have always felt wlecomed by both staff and other cruisers, whether on activities or dancing together at the nightclubs. We've done one Atlantis cruise and met many who had only ever been on gay cruises and said that is all they would ever do, but we have made many good friends both gay and straight from all over the world and would never give up that opportunity.

Norwegian Wind - Hawaii - 2002
Dawn Princess - South Pacific - 2008
Dawn Princess - Brisbane to Sydney - 2009
Freedom of the Seas - Western Carribean - 2010
Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera - 2010

Old July 27th, 2011, 11:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

The only issue my partner and I have had when going on a cruise (which we've now been on 4 together now) was requesting our beds together and when getting to our room them being separated as 2 twins instead of 1 queen. It's happened twice because we assume they see 2 men on the manifest for the room and assume incorrectly that we aren't a couple. Bad assumption but better than snide comments... those have not happened to us (at least to our knowledge.)

Nautical Cities - Cruise Ship Tickers

Old July 9th, 2011, 11:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Lol @ the overalls comment. I know what you mean though. I lived in NYC for many years and got a big dose of culture shock from day 1. Figured it's all good as long as the individuals' intent is good.
NCL Getaway 4/12/14-4/19/14 Our First Getaway and 4th NCL Cruise. Third with our oldest friends from our first cruise!

Old April 23rd, 2012, 11:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaNavy View Post
Never a problem on any of my cruises, regardless of with whom I was cruising. The only weird vibe I ever got was on one cruise, from another gay couple at that, perhaps because my partner and I were an interracial couple (but since I didn't ask, I can't say for sure, maybe they just got up on the wrong side of the bed for 10 consecutive days ). It wasn't an isolated incident either; every time they saw us their body language got very withdrawn and defensive. But it didn't affect our enjoyment of the cruise; after about the second incident, we thought it was funny.

Cruise ships are about as gay-friendly an environment as I've encountered.
Lol. There was a gay FOD cruiser that some of the FOD bunch didn't find to have the most appealing personality, but while I'm certain those that didn't mesh well knew so, everyone for the most part kept it courteous and polite enough that it wasn't unbearable when situations put us all together. We all still had support for each other though, even those whom had personalities that could use an update.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
NCL Getaway 4/12/14-4/19/14 Our First Getaway and 4th NCL Cruise. Third with our oldest friends from our first cruise!