Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?



 
Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old September 1st, 2011, 12:53 PM
boyerd boyerd is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 23
Thumbs up Drink Package was best cruise deal ever!

Let me start by saying we are not big drinkers per say, however on a cruise, we do like to enjoy ourselves, after all it is a carribbean vacation! We were on the Connie last January and purchased the Premium Drink package prior to boarding. Initially we were concerned that with so many port days we might not get our money's worth.

Not only did we get our money's worth and more, there were other perks that we didn't anticipate. Aside from no slips to sign etc, often around the pool when a frozen drink started melting often the staff would ask if they could just make a new one. We tried many different types of drinks esp Martinis that we might not have bought otherwise. If we tried a new drink and didn't like it it was replaced with another drink of our choice without question.

In order to show you why we felt this was a great deal I will describe a typical day. Disclaimer... based on this, some may think that we are heavy drinkers...if that is the case , while we appreciate your perspective and opinion please do not comment on our consumption ( this is our first post and we have seen some petty unnecessary replies). The purpose of this information is not to expose our consumption for review and/or public scrutiny, but to demonstrate to those who like to let their hair down a little and are wondering from a ecocnmic standpoint is it worth purchasing a package.

0830-Latte with one and half shots of Bailys..........$10.00
1100-large water............................................. ..$ 3.50
1230- Frozen drink............................................. .$6.50
1430- Beer.............................................. ..........$5.00
1600- Frozen drink............................................. .$6.50
1800- Glass of wine while dressing for dinner............$10.00
1930- Martini and dancing prior to dinner.................$12.00
2030- Dinner ( 4 different types of wine by the glass as suggested with each course by sommommlier-not all entirely consumed)..$ 40.00
2215- Specialty Coffee..........................................$ 8.00
2300- Dancing/Bar/Show/Casino Cocktail.............................$10.00
2400- Nightcap.(wearever..maybe brought back to balcony) $10.00

Total...$121.50 ( Drink prices are approx by memory-please don't bust me for not remembering exact price..probably cause I drank too much..Ha ha)

Cost per day...$55.00
Remenber this is for one person double the savings when we each bought one!

Only difference on port days was that we had two beers when back on ship as compared to 3 poolside drinks. Many nights we actually stayed out dancing etc later and maybe had another one...or if really hot day at the pool and having fun with poolside neighbors maybe snuck in an extra beer!

If you think this might come even close to a typical carribbean vacation day for you, then you can see what a true value it is. The other convieniences were no slips to sign, bar servers, waiters and sommoliers knowing your preferences and offering drink suggestions and special cocktails that we had never tried before. We told our assit waiter the first night about the specialty coffee and we had it served with our dessert every night...no hassles. It really added to the vacation atmosphere that we enjoy!

Hope this helps!
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:21 PM
Debi_D's Avatar
Debi_D Debi_D is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Beautiful Cape Cod, MA USA
Posts: 1,461
Default

Well said!!! I would like to add, seeing all those 0.00 on your final bill at the end of the cruise was a real plus. We too love the drink package!
__________________



VOLENDAM 1983 ** VEENDAM 1984 ** VEENDAM 1984 (B2B) ** NOORDAM 1986 ** NOORDAM 1986 (B2B) ** NOORDAM 1993 (MEXICAN RIVERIA) ** VEENDAM 1996 ** SEA PRINCESS 1999 ** VEENDAM 2000 ** VEENDAM 2000 (B2B) ** GRAND PRINCESS 2001 ** AMSTERDAM 2001 (PANAMA)** DAWN PRINCESS 2002 ** INFINITY 2002 (HAWAII)** ISLAND PRINCESS 2003 (PANAMA) ** MERCURY 2003 ** CORAL PRINCESS 2004 (PANAMA)** OSTERDAM 2004 ** CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 2004 ** ZAANDAM 2005 ** ISLAND PRINCESS 2005 (HAWAII) ** CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 2006 ** WESTERDAM 2006 ** COSTA MAGICA 2007 ** NORWEIGAN JADE 2008 (1ST TRANSATLANTIC AWESOME) ** NOORDAM 2008 ** CROWN PRINCESS 2009** EQUINOX 2010** MILLENNIUM 2011** WESTERDAM 2011 (B2B)** EURODAM 2014 (B2B)
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:40 PM
red919's Avatar
red919 red919 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 262
Default

ITA!

And I was lucky enough to buy the drink package for my upcoming cruise BEFORE the price increase.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:52 PM
boyerd boyerd is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 23
Default

Wha increase! I thought it was only speciallty restaurants that went up?
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old September 2nd, 2011, 11:23 AM
Idahobaker's Avatar
Idahobaker Idahobaker is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 209
Unhappy More money for the booze!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyerd View Post
Wha increase! I thought it was only speciallty restaurants that went up?
Yep, premium package went up by $60. It'll probably go up again.
__________________
Ed, the Idahobaker

"Never eat spinach with a stranger."
____________________________________________

Celebrity Millennium Sept 19, 2011 Panama Canal

Reply With Quote

Ad Sponsored By
  #6  
Old September 24th, 2011, 02:21 AM
Blanco-Grande Blanco-Grande is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 415
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyerd View Post
Wha increase! I thought it was only speciallty restaurants that went up?
they went up about $100 but dropped 2 days ago about $50
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:57 PM
Maz_1's Avatar
Maz_1 Maz_1 is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: England
Posts: 271
Default

Well said. We purchased the Premium drinks, we are not big drinkers but I can confidently say that it was worth our while & we will definitely purchase the premium drinks package again next year.
__________________

[/url]
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old November 12th, 2011, 09:31 PM
dennbr9's Avatar
dennbr9 dennbr9 is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Livonia, MI
Posts: 8,185
Default

Hope your liver feels it was a good deal too:-)
Reply With Quote

  #9  
Old November 12th, 2011, 11:18 PM
librarylady19's Avatar
librarylady19 librarylady19 is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Southwest Suburbs of Chicago
Posts: 5,634
Wink

Here's a link to the drink menu from the Molecular Bar. I plan to try all of them

http://schplinky.smugmug.com/Solstic...26_fyRPu-XL-LB
__________________
Sandi
Click here for Celebrity S Class Cabin Spreadsheet







Azamara Journey (V3) - 5/12/14 - Photos
Celebrity Reflection (AQ) - 1/12/13 Review - Photos

Celebrity Summit (AQ) - 9/2/2012 Review - Photos
Celebrity Eclipse (AQ) - 12/10/2011 Review Photos
Celebrity Summit (SS) - 12/11/2010 Review - Photos
Celebrity Equinox (AQ) - 11/19/2009 Photos
Celebrity Century (CC) - 3/5/2009 Photos
Reply With Quote

  #10  
Old January 8th, 2012, 04:07 PM
Canadian Villager's Avatar
Canadian Villager Canadian Villager is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: The Villages, FL
Posts: 1,190
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz_1 View Post
Well said. We purchased the Premium drinks, we are not big drinkers but I can confidently say that it was worth our while & we will definitely purchase the premium drinks package again next year.
My wife and I have just signed up for the Celebrity Equinox for Feb 21, 2013. We have never sailed Celebrity before and we have never had the opportunity for a drinks package. If you do not sign chits, how do they know that you have a package and what package you have?
__________________
Mar 2015 - Celebrity Eclipse
Feb 2014 - Celebrity Equinox
Feb 2013 - Celebrity Equinox
Dec 2011 - Carnival Paradise
Feb 2011 - Carnival Freedom
Jan 2010 - Carnival Miracle,
Jan 2009 - Carnival Freedom,
Jan 2008 - Carnival Celebration,
Apr 1979 - Sun Princess,
Nov 1973 - Emerald of the Seas
Reply With Quote

  #11  
Old January 8th, 2012, 04:14 PM
prim8keeper's Avatar
prim8keeper prim8keeper is online now
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,058
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian Villager View Post
My wife and I have just signed up for the Celebrity Equinox for Feb 21, 2013. We have never sailed Celebrity before and we have never had the opportunity for a drinks package. If you do not sign chits, how do they know that you have a package and what package you have?
If you purchase it ahead of time it says it on your sea pass and I presume it comes up when they swipe it as well in the computer. If you buy the package once you board they place a sticker on your sea pass.
__________________
Future Cruises:
Celebrity Silhouette, Western Caribbean Holiday, Dec. 2014
Celebrity Eclipse, Exotic Southern Caribbean, Feb. 2015 - Roll Call
Celebrity Summit, Bermuda, June 2015
Celebrity Eclipse, Southern Caribbean Holiday, Dec. 2015 - Roll Call
Celebrity Reflection, Eastern Caribbean, Jan. 2016
Celebrity Xpedition, Galapagos Xpedition, Nov. 2016

Past Cruises:
Celebrity Summit, Bermuda, June 2014 - Photo Review
Celebrity Equinox, Ultimate Caribbean, Jan. 2014
Celebrity Equinox, Ultimate Caribbean, Feb. 2013
Celebrity Solstice, Western Caribbean, Dec. 2011


Email Me: prim8keeper@gmail.com
Reply With Quote

  #12  
Old September 1st, 2011, 01:59 PM
Debi_D's Avatar
Debi_D Debi_D is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Beautiful Cape Cod, MA USA
Posts: 1,461
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by red919 View Post
ITA!

And I was lucky enough to buy the drink package for my upcoming cruise BEFORE the price increase.
I know it is tough pill to swallow but it is still a better deal. We try to pay it in advance so we don't have a large bill at the end of our trip.
__________________



VOLENDAM 1983 ** VEENDAM 1984 ** VEENDAM 1984 (B2B) ** NOORDAM 1986 ** NOORDAM 1986 (B2B) ** NOORDAM 1993 (MEXICAN RIVERIA) ** VEENDAM 1996 ** SEA PRINCESS 1999 ** VEENDAM 2000 ** VEENDAM 2000 (B2B) ** GRAND PRINCESS 2001 ** AMSTERDAM 2001 (PANAMA)** DAWN PRINCESS 2002 ** INFINITY 2002 (HAWAII)** ISLAND PRINCESS 2003 (PANAMA) ** MERCURY 2003 ** CORAL PRINCESS 2004 (PANAMA)** OSTERDAM 2004 ** CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 2004 ** ZAANDAM 2005 ** ISLAND PRINCESS 2005 (HAWAII) ** CARIBBEAN PRINCESS 2006 ** WESTERDAM 2006 ** COSTA MAGICA 2007 ** NORWEIGAN JADE 2008 (1ST TRANSATLANTIC AWESOME) ** NOORDAM 2008 ** CROWN PRINCESS 2009** EQUINOX 2010** MILLENNIUM 2011** WESTERDAM 2011 (B2B)** EURODAM 2014 (B2B)
Reply With Quote

  #13  
Old September 1st, 2011, 02:07 PM
38anchor's Avatar
38anchor 38anchor is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Lancashire, UK
Posts: 665
Default

Thanks for putting together such a comprehensive list. We have booked the premium package for our upcoming Silhouette and after reading your post I know we have made the right decision.

Just one question though.... where do you get the
Quote:
0830-Latte with one and half shots of Bailys..........$10.00
at 8.30 in the morning. Sounds delicious. I am presuming it must be Cafe al Bacio?
Reply With Quote

  #14  
Old September 1st, 2011, 02:29 PM
boyerd boyerd is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 23
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38anchor View Post
Thanks for putting together such a comprehensive list. We have booked the premium package for our upcoming Silhouette and after reading your post I know we have made the right decision.

Just one question though.... where do you get the at 8.30 in the morning. Sounds delicious. I am presuming it must be Cafe al Bacio?
That's the spot...open at 0700
Reply With Quote

  #15  
Old September 1st, 2011, 02:43 PM
Moomintroll's Avatar
Moomintroll Moomintroll is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: from Southampton, England - living in Port Townsend, WA
Posts: 202
Default

Your post has me re-thinking my decision to not go with the premium package!
I have a question - are the "drink of the day" frozen drinks in the souvenir glasses included? I thought the limit is $12 per drink and they are $10?

Thank you for sharing your experience!
__________________


Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - Thanksgiving 2012
Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas - Christmas 2011
Celebrity Equinox - Ultimate Caribbean - December 2011
Celebrity Solstice - Western Caribbean - August 2010
Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera - Christmas 2009
Mariner of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean - June 2005
Reply With Quote

  #16  
Old October 14th, 2011, 06:21 PM
dzcruisers's Avatar
dzcruisers dzcruisers is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Lowcountry South Carolina
Posts: 6,611
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38anchor View Post
Thanks for putting together such a comprehensive list. We have booked the premium package for our upcoming Silhouette and after reading your post I know we have made the right decision.

Just one question though.... where do you get the at 8.30 in the morning. Sounds delicious. I am presuming it must be Cafe al Bacio?
Don't forget you can get sodas in the can and fresh juices and bottles of water with dinner or to take back to your cabin. He left out a lot of extras besides alcohol that it includes. We always got big bottles of water to take when we went ashore.
__________________
Happy Cruisin'!!!
Dianne and Doug
EMAIL



X Constellation, Feb 2014, Carib, NavOTS TA, April 14, 2012, Nav OTS W. Carib. April 8, 2012, X Constellation Sept 7, 2011 AMS to IST, RCI Jewel OTS May 6, 2011 TA, X Equinox Oct 31, 2010 TA, X Summit May 2010 Bermuda, X Infinity Panama Canal Sept. 25, 2009, Carnival Glory Jan. 2009 W. Carib., X Summit Feb. 2007 Panama Canal, Carib. Princess B2B E & W Carib Sept. 2006, Diamond Princess Alaska Aug. 2004, X Galaxy Feb 2004 S. Carib, Golden Princess Nov. 2003 E. Carib, Regent Voyager June 2003 Baltic, X Infinity Alaska Aug. 2001, X Galaxy Nov 2001 S. Carib, RCI Legend of the Seas Med, June 2000, X Horizon Sept. 1999 Bermuda, X Galaxy S Carib. April 1999
Reply With Quote

  #17  
Old September 1st, 2011, 02:59 PM
kitkat9438's Avatar
kitkat9438 kitkat9438 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 3,460
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyerd View Post
Let me start by saying we are not big drinkers per say, however on a cruise, we do like to enjoy ourselves, after all it is a carribbean vacation! We were on the Connie last January and purchased the Premium Drink package prior to boarding. Initially we were concerned that with so many port days we might not get our money's worth.

Not only did we get our money's worth and more, there were other perks that we didn't anticipate. Aside from no slips to sign etc, often around the pool when a frozen drink started melting often the staff would ask if they could just make a new one. We tried many different types of drinks esp Martinis that we might not have bought otherwise. If we tried a new drink and didn't like it it was replaced with another drink of our choice without question.

In order to show you why we felt this was a great deal I will describe a typical day. Disclaimer... based on this, some may think that we are heavy drinkers...if that is the case , while we appreciate your perspective and opinion please do not comment on our consumption ( this is our first post and we have seen some petty unnecessary replies). The purpose of this information is not to expose our consumption for review and/or public scrutiny, but to demonstrate to those who like to let their hair down a little and are wondering from a ecocnmic standpoint is it worth purchasing a package.

0830-Latte with one and half shots of Bailys..........$10.00
1100-large water............................................. ..$ 3.50
1230- Frozen drink............................................. .$6.50
1430- Beer.............................................. ..........$5.00
1600- Frozen drink............................................. .$6.50
1800- Glass of wine while dressing for dinner............$10.00
1930- Martini and dancing prior to dinner.................$12.00
2030- Dinner ( 4 different types of wine by the glass as suggested with each course by sommommlier-not all entirely consumed)..$ 40.00
2215- Specialty Coffee..........................................$ 8.00
2300- Dancing/Bar/Show/Casino Cocktail.............................$10.00
2400- Nightcap.(wearever..maybe brought back to balcony) $10.00

Total...$121.50 ( Drink prices are approx by memory-please don't bust me for not remembering exact price..probably cause I drank too much..Ha ha)

Cost per day...$55.00
Remenber this is for one person double the savings when we each bought one!

Only difference on port days was that we had two beers when back on ship as compared to 3 poolside drinks. Many nights we actually stayed out dancing etc later and maybe had another one...or if really hot day at the pool and having fun with poolside neighbors maybe snuck in an extra beer!

If you think this might come even close to a typical carribbean vacation day for you, then you can see what a true value it is. The other convieniences were no slips to sign, bar servers, waiters and sommoliers knowing your preferences and offering drink suggestions and special cocktails that we had never tried before. We told our assit waiter the first night about the specialty coffee and we had it served with our dessert every night...no hassles. It really added to the vacation atmosphere that we enjoy!

Hope this helps!
I agree with everything you said! Sounds like the exact same experience I had. PRICELESS!!! We'll be getting it again in December on the Summit. Can't wait.
__________________
Kathy

katlawson9438@yahoo.com

Reply With Quote

  #18  
Old November 16th, 2011, 04:30 PM
jackdec jackdec is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Ireland
Posts: 351
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitkat9438 View Post
I agree with everything you said! Sounds like the exact same experience I had. PRICELESS!!! We'll be getting it again in December on the Summit. Can't wait.
Hi Kathy. Is there a charge for Drinking water during your meals. Or is this free. We are big water drinkers and wonder if there is a charge for water. You have now got me thinking that a drinks package might be money well spent. Where can we find the different packages for the Equinox.
Dec
Reply With Quote

  #19  
Old November 16th, 2011, 04:41 PM
bighairtexan's Avatar
bighairtexan bighairtexan is online now
10,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: DFW area
Posts: 12,478
Default

Your glass will be kept filled w/ ice water poured from a pitcher. If you like bottled water then you are charged for it.
__________________
_______________________________
cruisingbht@gmail.com
Reply With Quote

  #20  
Old November 16th, 2011, 04:47 PM
njaloha's Avatar
njaloha njaloha is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NJ
Posts: 453
Default "Tap Water?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighairtexan View Post
Your glass will be kept filled w/ ice water poured from a pitcher. If you like bottled water then you are charged for it.
I hope this doesn't sound daft but here goes anyway; where does the water come from? Are there huge tanks of it in the bowels of the ship or is it manufactured through a desalination process?
__________________



1/2013 - Celebrity Silhouette
2/2012 - Celebrity Silhouette
8/2005 - NCL Pride of America
4/2000 - Disney Magic
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks

Ad Sponsored By


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:21 PM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.