Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Hebridean Island Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old January 13th, 2012, 12:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Hebridean Princess tops prestigious list

Hebridean Princess just won top honors on Andrew Harper's Hideaway Report. I wish I didn't have to wait until November to find out why!

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/hebrid...024700812.html

Our first cruise- Vision of the Seas- June 4, 2009 Baltics

Old June 10th, 2013, 06:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default I can wait

deleted
Celebrity Mercury Western Caribbean Feb 1998
Holland American Noordam Western Med 2000
Norwegian Sky Eastern Caribbean March 2001
Celebrity Zenith Western Caribbean March 2002
Celebrity Millenium Eastern Caribbean Jan 2004
Celebrity Constellation Southern Caribbean March 2005
Celebrity Infinity Atlantis Charter Nov 2005
Celebrity Infinity Atlantis Charter March 2006
Celebrity Galaxy Greek Isles July 2007
Celebrity Constellation Scandavia/Russia Jun 2008
Celebrity Infinity Alaska May 2009
Celebrity Constellation Transatlantic Sep 2009
Celebrity Equinox Holy Land Oct 2010
Celebrity Solstice Eastern Caribbean Jan 2011
Celebrity Solstice Venice, Croatia, Montenegro Aug 2011
Celebrity Century New Zealand & Australia Jan 2012
Celebrity Silhouette Transatlantic December 2012
Celebrity Summit Bermuda May 2013
Celebrity Infinity Iceland & Norway June 2013
Celebrity Millenium China, Japan & Korea April 2014
Celebrity Silhouette Western Caribbean November 2014
Celebrity Solstice Hawaii April 2015
Question/Email Me: email me

Last edited by johhnnyt; June 10th, 2013 at 06:27 PM.

Old August 29th, 2013, 08:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Did you ever find out why? I am looking to go on this cruise and would like to know your thoughts...?

Old August 29th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hebridean is excellent. We had a wonderful time. They took care of everything! It's worth the money.

Old September 3rd, 2013, 08:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hello knot head. What is Hebredian's kid policy? You know why I'm asking! From the web site it looks like the meals are very formal is that true? We are intrigued but perhaps 50 is too small particularly if it is on the formal stuffy side both staff and guests. Input would be helpful as we explore various options.

Old September 13th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default A little out of date, but....

Quote:
Originally Posted by JES4845 View Post
Hello knot head. What is Hebredian's kid policy? You know why I'm asking! From the web site it looks like the meals are very formal is that true? We are intrigued but perhaps 50 is too small particularly if it is on the formal stuffy side both staff and guests. Input would be helpful as we explore various options.
Several years ago, we sailed on another of Hebredian's ships. Absolutely everything was included. We sailed up through the Hebredes -- if we wanted to visit a castle, a crew member came along to pay everyone's admission. One day, we called at an island with two ports -- they dropped us and a bunch of bicycles at one port, and moved the ship to the other port. Half-way across the island, they had rented a village hall, set up tables or lunch -- we're talking cloth tablecloths, china, crystal, silver -- and enough wine that not everyone navigated those bicycles the rest of the way.

Hubby is a single malt drinker (which is why we chose that cruise) -- no additional charge for good whiskey on that ship!

But yes, for Americans, the dining room is stuffy. If you're British, it is what you'd expect at a fine restaurant.

Hope that information is of some value to you.

Old September 14th, 2013, 08:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
What are you looking for from your cruise? destination, experience? and how old are the children?

Old September 14th, 2013, 09:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaelsail View Post
What are you looking for from your cruise? destination, experience? and how old are the children?
LOL... I think he's trying to ESCAPE children. In which case, I think Hebridean Princess might be just what the doctor ordered.

Old September 14th, 2013, 09:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Hi there. According the literature I got last year when we sailed, children under age nine are not allowed. We did two five night back to back cruises in November and had an awesome time. No kids on board at all. In fact, at age 40, I was the youngest on the first cruise. On the second cruise, there were a few people who appeared to be in their 20s, but they were with their parents. We met several really nice folks, including a couple of very elderly people who were still very sharp and spry and had fascinating stories about World War II!

I didn't think Hebridean Princess was "stuffy", really. It's not like SeaDream, though. There's no pool, hot tub, or spa and they have planned tours and activities in the morning and afternoon. You don't have to take part if you don't want to; you can organize something else, including fishing trips or hikes. Their pursers are outstanding and will hook you up. It is true that just about everything is covered. You pay up front and once you get piped on board, you don't have to spend another cent. They won't even ask you for a credit card!

I didn't think the meals were that much more formal than SeaDream's (in the dining room, anyway). There's less variety, but the food quality is excellent and so is the wait staff. Seating is not open, though, and you will have the same wait staff all week. You are expected to dress nicely for dinner. I made a couple of videos of the gala dinners and of Scotland itself. Let me know if you want the links. I also posted a big thread on the SeaDream board while I was on the Hebridean Princess. It has pictures and links to reviews. It's the "I'm gonna cheat on SeaDream just once in 2012" thread. I bumped it for you.

We had a fantastic time on Hebridean Princess. I would not hesitate to book with them again. In many ways, I liked it as much or even more than SeaDream. The staff is not as over the top friendly as SeaDream's is, but they are still excellent and very professional.

I even thought the stateroom was more comfortable and we were in the cheapest one with no windows. It is a very British experience, though. You'll be drinking excellent gin and tonics and scotches instead of mojitos!

I'm happy to answer any other questions, so let 'er rip!

Last edited by knotheadusc; September 14th, 2013 at 09:29 AM.

Old September 14th, 2013, 10:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Yes indeed escape is the operative word particularly given SeaDream's increasingly kid friendly policies and practices! Thanks for the information.