Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > MSC Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

MSC Cruises
Read hundreds of MSC Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best MSC Cruise Deals.

Old February 19th, 2012, 07:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs down Europeans are Rude and No Manners

Been on the MSC Poesia last week Feb 11-18 2012, and what an experience that was. Yes I read all the posts and do agree to disagree. Case in point when you enter a buffet line, you do not shove your way through and not say excuse me in your language or enter the theater late and come into a seat and barge through, without saying something. I offered to get up and let someone into a seat and I could not move fast enough for the impatient and rude Europeans.
The staff are dimwits( No English whatsoever. Do they not leave from Ft Lauderdale, Florida USA. You ask them a simple question and they look at you like you have 3 heads. Or they just say NO or refer you to the reception desk. Do they wear blinders and just do not think? No manners either. ie..will not hold a door open for you or help you. Learn ENGLISH FOR STAFF. Manners are Manners and if you want American people to come on their cruise-ship, bend a little or leave from the Caribbean and not the USA.

Old February 20th, 2012, 03:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

No comment worth making.
11/2014 - Costa neoRomantica - Ancient Mediterranean (11) (Italy/Greece/Turkey/Malta)

Done:

3/2014 - MSC Sinfonia - Capetown-Civitavecchia (19) (S. Africa/Namibia/Senegal/Canary Is./Morocco/Corsica/Italy)
9/2013 - Costa Pacifica - Aegean Costa Club Cruise (13) (Italy/Greece/Turkey)
2/2013 - Costa Magica - East Med (12) (Italy/Greece/Israel/Turkey)

9/2012 - Costa Luminosa - Magic Europa (10) (Denmark/Germany/UK/France/Spain/Portugal/Italy) B2B:
9/2012 - Costa Luminosa - Verde Lime (5) (Italy/Spain/France)
6/2012 - MSC Magnifica - North Cape-Svalbard (15) (Germany/Denmark/Norway)
1/2012 - MSC Fantasia - West Med/Atlantic (11) (Italy/Spain/Madeira/Canary Is./Morocco)
10/2011 - Costa Atlantica - East Med (10) (Italy/Egypt/Cyprus/Turkey/Greece)
9/2011 - Costa Atlantica - Central Med & Black Sea (13) (Italy/Greece/Turkey/Ukraine/Romania)
5/2011 - MSC Melody - West Med/Atlantic (11) (Italy/Spain/Portugal/Morocco/France)
4/2011 - MSC Melody - East Med (11) (Italy/Greece/Cyprus/Lebanon)
2/2011 - Costa Romantica - Indian Ocean (14) (Mauritius/Seychelles/Madagascar/Reunion)
10/2010 - Costa Mediterranea - East-Central Med (11) (Greece/Cyprus/Egypt/Malta/Libya)
6/2010 - MSC Poesia - North Europe (14) (Germany/Norway/Iceland/Faroe & Shetland Is.)
3/2010 - Costa Marina - Atlantic Islands (14) (Spain/Morocco/Canary Is./Madeira/France)
1/2010 - MSC Splendida - East Med (11) (Italy/Greece/Israel/Egypt/Tunisia)
8/2009 - Costa Serena - East Med (7) (Greece/Turkey/Croatia/Italy)

4/2009 - Costa Concordia - East Med (11) (Greece/Turkey/Cyprus/Egypt/Italy)
1/2009 - Oberoi Philae - Nile River Cruise Luxor-Aswan (7)
12/2007 - Costa Europa - Savona-Dubai Repositioning (18) (Egypt/Suez/Jordan/Yemen/Oman)
5/2007 - MSC Opera - Norwegian Fiords (7) (Germany/Norway/Denmark)
6/1994 - MSC Monterey - East Med (12) (Egypt/Israel/Turkey/Greece/Italy)

Old February 20th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterscrubs View Post
Been on the MSC Poesia last week Feb 11-18 2012, and what an experience that was. Yes I read all the posts and do agree to disagree. Case in point when you enter a buffet line, you do not shove your way through and not say excuse me in your language or enter the theater late and come into a seat and barge through, without saying something. I offered to get up and let someone into a seat and I could not move fast enough for the impatient and rude Europeans.
The staff are dimwits( No English whatsoever. Do they not leave from Ft Lauderdale, Florida USA. You ask them a simple question and they look at you like you have 3 heads. Or they just say NO or refer you to the reception desk. Do they wear blinders and just do not think? No manners either. ie..will not hold a door open for you or help you. Learn ENGLISH FOR STAFF. Manners are Manners and if you want American people to come on their cruise-ship, bend a little or leave from the Caribbean and not the USA.
Wow we were on the sailing prior and never found a crew member who couldn't speak/understand reasonably good english. I do agree about the seating but on our sailing americans did it too and without staff in the theater, seats were being saved by all regardless of the requests not to do so. I found reception staff to be the most rude out of all the staff onboard. I asked for a piece of tape the woman had the dispenser within inches of her hand and she said NO we don't have any, then I heard a man in a scooter ask for a screwdriver to fix the handle on his scooter and again the woman said No didn't even offer to call someone to try and help. The girls at the spa were the most helpful always holding the doors to go out to the pool once we got off the elevators said good morning asked how we were and not in a sales type of way.

I do question your statement with how leaving from the caribbean instead of florida would make any change other than making it more of a PITA to get to and from the ship.

Old February 20th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

I am European and was also on that cruise. I can only say that if all Europeans are rude then all North Americans are greedy and obese. It's only the French who are rude

Old February 20th, 2012, 12:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleeder View Post
I am European and was also on that cruise. I can only say that if all Europeans are rude then all North Americans are greedy and obese. It's only the French who are rude
Agreed on all counts!!

On the Med!!

09/82 Home Line’s Atlantic, Bermuda
08/03 Disney Wonder 3 Day, Nassau
08/04 Disney Magic
7 Day, Western Caribbean
12/06 Disney Magic 4 Day, Nassau
08/07 Disney Magic, Mediterranean
08/08 NCL PoA, Hawaii
08/09 RCCL Legend of the Seas, Eastern Mediterranean
01/10 NCL Norwegian Jewel, Central America
05/10 RCCL Jewel of the Seas, Baltic Capitals
09/11 RCCL Allure of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean
07/12 RCCL Allure of the Seas, Western Caribbean
09/12 Disney Magic, Canadian Maritimes
07/13 NCL Breakaway, Bermuda

Old February 21st, 2012, 04:15 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleeder View Post
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You - LOVE IT!!!

Old February 20th, 2012, 12:51 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Sorry!! Your comment is very rude, even if you had a bad experience you dor not generalize a whole continent.

Old February 20th, 2012, 02:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Very uncalled for statement. I did not find this on the Poesia at all!

And rude! We were in Tuscany a few years back and I was horrified at the demand of the visiting Americans.

Old February 20th, 2012, 04:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

"The staff are dimwits( No English whatsoever. Do they not leave from Ft Lauderdale, Florida USA. You ask them a simple question and they look at you like you have 3 heads. Or they just say NO or refer you to the reception desk. Do they wear blinders and just do not think? No manners either. ie..will not hold a door open for you or help you. Learn ENGLISH FOR STAFF. Manners are Manners and if you want American people to come on their cruise-ship, bend a little or leave from the Caribbean and not the USA."

I was sorry to hear such a comment about staff being dimwits because they do not understand English. We have been on Carnival, RCCL and Princess and there were several staff members who did not understand or speak English very well. A person's attitude is important in these situations. If you smile at someone, and ask a question and that staff member does not speak English, h/she will usually find someone to help you. Even when a ship is sailing from Fort Lauderdale it is unrealistic to think that all staff will speak English fluently. I have read many cruise reviews where Americans traveling in the Med are outraged when not all staff, or passengers, can speak English. Although many Americans are sorely lacking in language skills, most make an effort when traveling abroad to learn a few phrases in the languages of the countries they will visit. To travel in other countries and expect everyone to know English is very narrow-minded. We travel to Europe by ourselves, by land, and have never had any problems. Although I speak Italian, I can barely get by with French, which I am now learning. Before we went to France, I learned a few phrases, such as good day, please, thank you, and where are the washrooms. Everyone seemed pleased that I made an effort to speak a bit of their language. It is a big world and we all should try to enjoy each others cultures and learn from each other. There are rude people everywhere, and certainly here in the U.S. To call all Europeans rude is very wrong, as most people who have been to Europe would agree.

Old February 21st, 2012, 08:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

I have to wonder what the "simple question" was?

Acting out the request like in a game of charades has worked for us when the person didn't understand what we were saying. But they told us they didn't understand in nearly perfect english.

Old February 21st, 2012, 01:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default I want to apologize for my blog entry

By all means there were Europeans whom made the Cruse an exception. I am sorry if I generalized all Europeans(some Europeans) I retract the statement that the staff was dimwits wrong choice of words. Sometimes you write and don't think it through.

Old February 21st, 2012, 04:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

A nice apology misterscrubs, thank you . I am a European, DH is another sort of European, and we can see the differences between nations. The Italians want to eat as soon as the restaurant opens and have no concept of queuing, the Spanish want to eat as late as possible, and have no concept of queuing, the French are a little introspective and have no concept of queuing. Brits have the concept of waiting in line unless its a Ryanair flight when manners go out of the window . Seriously though I am a mild mannered middle aged European lady who would never ever push-in or be rude to anyone, although I have learned how to stand up for myself when needs be.

Different cultures have different ways about them. I have learnt to be tolerant and go with the flow when abroad.
Radiance of the Seas 6/2003
Ocean Village 4/2004
Ocean Village 3/2005
Costa Romantica 9/2006
Costa Magica 12/2006
Jewel of the Seas 4/2007
Costa Fortuna 9/2007
Splendour of the Seas 4/2008
Freedom of the Seas 12/2008
MSC Opera 5/2009
Independance of the Seas 11/2009
P and O Oceana 5/2010
Costa Mediterrania 9/2010
NCL Pearl 11/10
P and O Arcadia 03/2011
Celebrity Solstice 06/2011
RCI Freedom of the Seas 07/2011
Costa Favolosa 10/2011
Brilliance of the Seas 1/2012
MSC Orchestra 4/2012
NCL Epic 7/2012
NCL Jade 8/2012
Costa Deliziosa 4/2013
MSC Opera 6/2013
Carnival Valor 7/2013
NCL Epic 9/2013
NCL Breakaway 1/2014
NCL Jewel 4/2014
NCL Epic 7/2014
Celebrity Solstice 11/2014

Old February 21st, 2012, 04:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rusky123 View Post
A nice apology misterscrubs, thank you . I am a European, DH is another sort of European, and we can see the differences between nations. The Italians want to eat as soon as the restaurant opens and have no concept of queuing, the Spanish want to eat as late as possible, and have no concept of queuing, the French are a little introspective and have no concept of queuing. Brits have the concept of waiting in line unless its a Ryanair flight when manners go out of the window . Seriously though I am a mild mannered middle aged European lady who would never ever push-in or be rude to anyone, although I have learned how to stand up for myself when needs be.

Different cultures have different ways about them. I have learnt to be tolerant and go with the flow when abroad.
That is really funny if it wasn`t so true.

Old February 21st, 2012, 04:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

The Problem with Speaking English

1. The Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than
Englishmen and Americans.

2. The Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than

3. The Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks
than Englishmen and Americans.

4. The Italians and French drink a lot of red wine and suffer fewer heart
attacks than Englishmen and Americans.

5. The Germans drink a lot of beers and eat lots of sausages and fats and
suffer fewer heart attacks than Englishmen and Americans.

6. Algerians have almost no sex and suffer fewer heart attacks than

7. Brazilians seldom stop having sex and suffer fewer heart attacks than

CONCLUSION

Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills

Sorry about my English

Last edited by mbeginner; February 21st, 2012 at 04:58 PM.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:39 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

LOL that was funny, thanks....Speaking English is Dangerous LOL

To the OP....while I was NOT on your cruise I must say I didn't find that many rude Europeans on my cruise last November. The "front desk" was the only place..rude staff that seemed to cater to the Italians who didn't just jump the line, they came in the "other end" of the line, ignored the line and would rush up to the front desk LOL

I found the rest of the staff really nice, very polite, helpful and cheerful. Most all spoke English, no real problems. Many of the workers are Indonesian and they are a bit more reserved than the Filipino fun loving crew on Carnival but they really were nice

Emerald Seas, Dolphin, Majesty Cruise Line, Sea Escape 6x Discovery 8x : (all out of biz)
Star Princess 1x, Grand Princess 1x
Imagination 4x, Destiny(ugh) 2x, Glory 3x, Valor 2x, Liberty 1x, Spirit to Alaska 1x, Freedom 1x Conquest 1x
NCL Sky 2x, NCL Pearl 1x,RCI Navigator of the Seas 1x,
MSC Poesia 3x, MSC Divina 1x

MSC Divina US Inagural with Fireworks Review

Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:38 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
By all means there were Europeans whom made the Cruse an exception. I am sorry if I generalized all Europeans(some Europeans) I retract the statement that the staff was dimwits wrong choice of words. Sometimes you write and don't think it through.
Thank you.
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Aug 13
MSC Sinfonia - Western Med - May 13
Costa Atlantica - Arabian Gulf - Mar 13
MSC Musica - Greek Isles - Sept 12
MSC Opera - Buenos Aires to Southampton Apr 12
Costa Favolosa - Arabian Gulf - Jan 12
MSC Orchestra - Western Med - Oct 11
Costa Romantica - Indian Ocean - Jan 11
MSC Musica - Venice to Rio - Nov 10
MSC Melody - Med & Black Sea - Jul 10
MSC Sinfonia - Livorno to Durban - Oct-Nov 09
MSC Fantasia - Western Med - Apr 09
MSC Lirica - Dover to Genoa - Sept 08
MSC Lirica - Transatlantic (Fort Lauderdale - Dover) - Mar-Apr 08
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Sep 07
MSC Opera - - Jul 07
MSC Opera - Eastern & Southern Caribbean - Jan 07
MSC Opera - Western Med - May 06
MSC Opera - Transatlantic (Genoa - Fort Lauderdale) Dec 05-Jan 06
MSC Opera - Eastern Med - Jun 05

Old February 22nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
LOL thats new ,now unhappy american cruiser wants staff to bent for him.

Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:43 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
I for one am happy they leave from the USA. Much easier to get to than the Caribbean. I did not have this experience last year and have booked again for next winter. Our biggest problem was all the Americans complaining all the time. Although we are English, we sometimes switched to French so others wouldn't make conversation with us, didn't want to hear all the whining.

Maybe you best chose another cruise line and leave MSC to those of us who enjoy it and don't expect the whole world to speak English.

HAL Ryndam 1998
Disney Wonder 2003
CC Victory 2005
NCL Sun 2006
NCL Dawn 2007
Costa Mediterranea 2008
MSC Orchestra Feb 28th/2009 or is it no it's
Rhapsody of the Seas- Australia Dec. 1st 2009
MSC Poesia Feb 27/2011
NCL Star Mar 4/2012
Jewel of the Seas Oct 28/2012 25th Anniversary- Saying " I do " all over again
MSC Poesia Mar 2/2013 First time back on the same ship
Celebrity Summit Mar 1/2014 First time leaving from San Juan
Celebrity Summit Feb 28/2015

Old February 22nd, 2012, 04:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by monicajay View Post
Although we are English, we sometimes switched to French so others wouldn't make conversation with us, didn't want to hear all the whining.
Bonjour Monicajay
LOL, I do this too.
Not just on cruises, but to hagglers on the beach, pushy salespeople etc.
- MSC Divina - Feb 14 B2B