Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Luxury Cruising

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Luxury Cruising Is it a state of mind?

Discussion to include, but not limited to: Abercrombie & Kent • American Safari • Aqua Expeditions • Azamara • Bora Bora Cruises • Compagnie du Ponant • Cruise Asia Ltd. • Crystal • Cunard • French Country Waterways • Go Barging • Hapag-Lloyd • Hebridean • Heritage Line • Lindblad Expeditions • Oberoi Group • Oceania • Orion Expedition Cruises • Paul Gauguin Cruises • Regent Seven Seas • Sea Cloud Cruises • Seabourn • SeaDream • Silversea • Star Clippers • Travel Dynamics • Uniworld • Windstar

Old March 28th, 2012, 03:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default What would you recommend for a couples first luxury cruise

My husband and I have cruised on NCL,RCL,DCL. We want to try a luxury cruise next year for our anniversary.
Any recommendations? We would consider any Itinerary leaving out of the states.

Thank you for any suggestions!
Christine

Last edited by indychristine; March 28th, 2012 at 03:10 PM.

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Christine, I have been on what is now Regent Seven Seas for almost 20 years. Regent is all inclusive which includes gratuities, alcohol, air fare, one hotel night pre-cruise and many excursions. The small ships with no more than 700 passengers and the excellent service make Regent the line I prefer.

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you for that info NC! I will check Regent out!
Christine
CCL Pride May 2015

CCL Sunshine 2014
DCL Fantasy 2013
DCL Dream 2012
DCL Fantasy 2012
RCCL Mariner of the Seas 2011
DCL Dream 2011
DCL Wonder 2010
DCL Wonder 2009
DCL Magic 2009
NCL Dream- 2005

Old March 29th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Thumbs up I started my luxury cruises with Regent,also

and loved it...Also gone on Seabourn(again GREAT) and Seadream(too small and no balcony)..
So many things to consider,,,check out ALL the details before,read the many reviews,,etc.Find what important to YOU,,everyone different.
I start with ship size,,don t like the Larger,,luxury lines,,ie...Crystal ships 1200 passengers..and then SeaDream too small (100),,,find 400 to 700 JUST RIGHT>..sounds like the 3 bears...haha
Then chose itinerary,,,dates,length,room size,dining options,,can go on and on..
Look for best prices and find travel agent to help,,mine even gives %5 cash back on luxury cruises.
Give it a try and see if its the one for you,,,or (like me),,,try many and enjoy them all(just ea.a little different) ..good luck PS.. also may want less expensive optoions like Oceana,Azamara.Step up from lines you ve tried.

Old March 29th, 2012, 05:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexandra cruiser View Post
and loved it...Also gone on Seabourn(again GREAT) and Seadream(too small and no balcony)..
So many things to consider,,,check out ALL the details before,read the many reviews,,etc.Find what important to YOU,,everyone different.
I start with ship size,,don t like the Larger,,luxury lines,,ie...Crystal ships 1200 passengers..and then SeaDream too small (100),,,find 400 to 700 JUST RIGHT>..sounds like the 3 bears...haha
Then chose itinerary,,,dates,length,room size,dining options,,can go on and on..
Look for best prices and find travel agent to help,,mine even gives %5 cash back on luxury cruises.
Give it a try and see if its the one for you,,,or (like me),,,try many and enjoy them all(just ea.a little different) ..good luck PS.. also may want less expensive optoions like Oceana,Azamara.Step up from lines you ve tried.
The Crystal ships aren't as large as you quoted. The Symphony is 922 passengers and the Serenity is 1070 passengers. Because Crystal has the least expensive single supplement, a "full" ship is never "full".

Last edited by Texas Tillie; March 29th, 2012 at 05:04 PM.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:57 AM
10,000+ Club

It really depends upon your likes and dislikes. A few of major differences in the luxury cruise lines are:

1. Silversea is the most formal of the luxury lines followed by Seabourn and Crystal. Regent is Elegant Casual.

2. No smoking in Suites or balconies on Regent. No smoking on balconies -- but smoking in suites -- on Silversea and Crystal. Smoking in suites and balconies on Seabourn.

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (3 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Rome to Lisbon / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Miami to Miami - 14 nights - Riviera / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Old March 30th, 2012, 03:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you have sailed on the larger ships, you might find Crystal more to your likeing. Because it is larger than the other lines, it offers more in the way of activities and sea entertainment. In addition, because the ships only carry around 900 passengers on a ship that a mass market line would carry 1500 to 2000 passengers, you will never feel crowded, even on a full ship.

Old September 17th, 2012, 06:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelcat2 View Post
It really depends upon your likes and dislikes. A few of major differences in the luxury cruise lines are:

1. Silversea is the most formal of the luxury lines followed by Seabourn and Crystal. Regent is Elegant Casual.

2. No smoking in Suites or balconies on Regent. No smoking on balconies -- but smoking in suites -- on Silversea and Crystal. Smoking in suites and balconies on Seabourn.
Sounds like Regent for me. The less smoke the better

Cruise History
Azamara Quest French Riveria 4/03/2013
Norwegian Epic 11/24/2012 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic 10/2012 Western Caribean
Regent Seven Seas Navigator 09/2012 Ship Inspection
NCL Sky 08/2012 Bahamas
Island Princess 04/2012 Ship Inspection ]
Carnival Liberty 04/2012 Ship Inspection
Allure of The Seas 04/2012 Ship Inspection
Ruby Princess 03/2012 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Imagination 11/2011 Bahamas
Crown Princess 04/2011 Ship Inspection
Emerald Princess 04/2011 Ship Inspection
NCL Sky 04/2011 Ship Inspection
Celebrity Solstice 02/2011 Eastern Caribbean
Regal Princess 05/1994 Alaska

Old March 30th, 2012, 08:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you! This is all good information . Fortunately I love doing research so here I go! I have already dug into the reviews!
Can't wait to try our first luxury cruise!
CCL Pride May 2015

CCL Sunshine 2014
DCL Fantasy 2013
DCL Dream 2012
DCL Fantasy 2012
RCCL Mariner of the Seas 2011
DCL Dream 2011
DCL Wonder 2010
DCL Wonder 2009
DCL Magic 2009
NCL Dream- 2005

Old March 30th, 2012, 10:09 PM
10,000+ Club

Just rethought my response. For a first cruise, nothing can beat the Paul Gauguin in Tahiti. Most Regent cruisers (and many others) began their luxury cruising on the PG. It is, IMO, impossible to beat that lovely ship in the most beautiful place on earth (and it was recently refurbished).

I know that this does not leave out of the states, however, cruises that leave out of the states are more mass market than anything. You either go to Alaska, the Caribbean or Mexico. If you go to these places, it doesn't matter what cruise line you are on. Why pay luxury prices? You can get a perfectly good cabin on Princess or Celebrity.

My last thought is SeaDream Yacht Club. They are luxury--- small intimate ships -- all-inclusive. . . . check out their website http://www.seadream.com/ . Many posters on this thread are giving their personal preference for cruising which may not be yours. The PG and Seadream seem to be aimed more towards what you are looking for:-(

Itineraries Sailed: Alaska (2 sailings) / Baltics / Barcelona – Dubai / Cape Town – Rio / E. & W. Caribbean (3 sailings) / Ft. Lauderdale – Lima / Istanbul-Venice / London-Monte Carlo / Miami – Barcelona / Mumbai – Bali / New York-Southampton / Rome to Lisbon / Singapore to Sydney / Stockholm - Copenhagen / Tahiti / Venice-Rome / Vancouver-Tokyo

Upcoming cruises: / Miami to Miami - 14 nights - Riviera / Rio to Barcelona - 18 nights - Mariner / Cape Town to Cape Town - 15 nights - Mariner / Explorer - 2016

Last edited by Travelcat2; March 30th, 2012 at 10:16 PM.

Old April 27th, 2012, 03:21 PM
10,000+ Club

I suspect that you will fit well on Sea Dream. Smallest ships and close to a 1:1 crew to passenger ratio. The other luxury lines are much more formal and stuff, and the want to be luxury , like Regent are anything but luxury. Whenever you get over 200 passengers you leave the luxury level and go down to the upscale level.

Old April 27th, 2012, 05:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

I vote for SeaDream. Been onboard twice and have another planned for next year... But I will admit, at this point, I don't have experience with the other luxury lines.

As problems go, choosing the right luxury cruise line is a darn nice one to have!

Our first cruise- Vision of the Seas- June 4, 2009 Baltics

Old August 1st, 2012, 02:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

We took a Seabourn trans atlantic in the spring and it was fantastic. I have traveled all over the world and eaten in some very good restaurants and I would say their food was comparable. The suite we had (standard balcony) was over 300 sf and the bathroom I would take in my house. Service was outstanding and the transatlantic repositioning cruises were a real deal from a price standpoint.
The only disappointment was that the wines, particularly the reds were not up to my desired taste. Took about six days before we finally found one we liked.
All inclusive is great. No signing slips, worring about how much something costs nor calculating tips.

A great cruise if you aren't into port days as there were many days as sea.

Enjoy