Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > P&O Cruises ( UK )

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

P&O Cruises ( UK ) - Company Profile & Ship Reviews

Old April 21st, 2012, 01:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Drinking soft drinks outside of cabin?

Hi everyone,

We are on P&O cruise N302 from Belfast in Jan 2013 and have a question about soft drinks.

When we arrive at Barbados and if we can find somewhere to stock up on soft drinks at the port at a good price (can anyone help with a location for this?) are we allowed to take these tins up on deck/at lunch/at dinner/around the ship or are they exclusively for use inside the cabin only?

Old April 21st, 2012, 02:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi,

There is a shop in the cruise terminal in Barbados where we picked up a 6 pack of bottles of coke light (diet coke by another name) for 6 US dollars if I remember correctly. They also had ordinary coke. The shop is on the left of the building, about half way down as you come in from the ship, and it sells alcohol as well, but not much else. It was cheaper here than the other shops.
Have a great cruise!

Old April 21st, 2012, 04:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomelessBear View Post
Hi,

There is a shop in the cruise terminal in Barbados where we picked up a 6 pack of bottles of coke light (diet coke by another name) for 6 US dollars if I remember correctly. They also had ordinary coke. The shop is on the left of the building, about half way down as you come in from the ship, and it sells alcohol as well, but not much else. It was cheaper here than the other shops.
Have a great cruise!
Thanks for that, one less thing to do now. Did you take any bottles with you in a cool bag etc on deck or to dinner etc?

Old April 21st, 2012, 04:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTNI View Post
Thanks for that, one less thing to do now. Did you take any bottles with you in a cool bag etc on deck or to dinner etc?
You might get away with it on the sun-deck without staff noticing but never seen anybody in MDR with a cool bag. Why would you want to take it to dinner and not order from the waiter?? After all, you wouldn't take a cool bag into the dining room in a hotel or a restaurant at home.

Future Cruises

Fred Olsen Black Watch South American Discovery 8th January 2015
P&O Oceana Caribbean and USA 8th February 2016

Last edited by tartanexile81; April 21st, 2012 at 04:43 PM.

Old April 21st, 2012, 07:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTNI View Post
I wouldn't have walked around the ship with a bottle in hand personally, but I don't see why you couldn't take a cool bag to the pool deck with some in. Just get a plastic glass from the ship and use that. Although I have also never taken pop to the dining room with me, there is nothing stopping you from putting some in a glass and taking it to the dining room with you that way. Just my personal opinion.

Ad Sponsored By
Old April 21st, 2012, 08:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

You can take as much soft drinks as you like on the ship. I was recently on Arcadia 31 nights from Singapore to Sydney. I saved a fortune by taking my own drinks on the ship. I kept cans cool in the cabin fridge as well as 600ml bottles. I was able to take them to the buffet and deck areas for lunch and was never questioned about them.

You would be crazy to pay P&O's prices for soft drinks as they are a major rip off. I bought their wine package for the restaurant and a few glasses of wine througouht the cruise but on a long voyage I had to maintain a budget and bring my own drinks.

Old April 22nd, 2012, 02:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sutho View Post
You would be crazy to pay P&O's prices for soft drinks as they are a major rip off. I bought their wine package for the restaurant and a few glasses of wine througouht the cruise but on a long voyage I had to maintain a budget and bring my own drinks.
I dont think their soft drink prices are a rip off at all. I think they are very reasonable. I cant believe people on this thread are talking about taking their own soft drinks into dinner or the buffet. In fact I think its a cheek to do so. Given the cost of a cruise surely people should factor in the cost of soft drinks?

Celebrity Eclipse - Canary Islands Oct 2014

Cruises to date:

Celebrity Eclipse - Med May 2014
Celebrity Eclipse - Iceland & Fjords July 2013
Adventure of the seas Transatlantic April 2013
Azura -Baltics May 2012
Ventura -Caribbean Jan 2012
Ventura -Med April 2011
Ventura -Caribbean Dec 2010
Azura -Med May 2010
Independence of the Seas -Med April 2009

Old April 22nd, 2012, 03:31 AM
5,000+ Club

Try a few experiments before your cruise.
Take half-a-dozen bottles of Newcastle brown to your local, drink it in the beer garden. Mebbe take a few sandwiches as well.
Take a cooler with a nice chilled Chablis to your favourite restaurant. Remember to take a corkscrew, you don't want to be faced with a corkage fee.
And take some Tesco pop from your hotel room to the bar to drink while watching the footie on the big screen.

If those establishments are happy for you to do so, there's no reason why you shouldn't do likewise on a P&O ship.

P & O have by far the most liberal (unwritten) drinks policy of all major cruise lines, which allows you to drink your own stuff in your cabin/balcony, same as the policy in most hotels.
That's a privilege which can be withdrawn without notice, and there's a lot of us who'll be well hacked-off if that happens because of cheapskates who wander the ship, the decks, the bars, the buffet, with their own drinks in hand.

JB

Old April 23rd, 2012, 09:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Bull View Post
Try a few experiments before your cruise.
Take half-a-dozen bottles of Newcastle brown to your local, drink it in the beer garden. Mebbe take a few sandwiches as well.
Take a cooler with a nice chilled Chablis to your favourite restaurant. Remember to take a corkscrew, you don't want to be faced with a corkage fee.
And take some Tesco pop from your hotel room to the bar to drink while watching the footie on the big screen.

If those establishments are happy for you to do so, there's no reason why you shouldn't do likewise on a P&O ship.

P & O have by far the most liberal (unwritten) drinks policy of all major cruise lines, which allows you to drink your own stuff in your cabin/balcony, same as the policy in most hotels.
That's a privilege which can be withdrawn without notice, and there's a lot of us who'll be well hacked-off if that happens because of cheapskates who wander the ship, the decks, the bars, the buffet, with their own drinks in hand.

JB
Totally agree with what you say JB. I cannot believe that someone who has spent £1k's on a cruise would try and save the odd £1 here and there by doing this. As JB says they do not have to allow this. If they get wind that this is what too many people are doing, (and don't think they don't know what you are doing), that is some of their profit down the swanney, so what happens . They will not want to put up cruise prices too much, so they recoup the money by banning any drinks taken on board. That will be a popular move,wouldn't it!! I believe I am correct in saying the American ships do not let you take any on board, and if you read those lines boards on here some people are pathetic in what they will do to try and smuggle some on board.