Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Hawaii

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 30th, 2012, 11:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Maui Day 2 suggestions

Will be on POA. In Maui, Day 1 we will go to snorkel Black Rock and then head to Lahanai.
Day 2 We were thinking of doing IO Valley but this only appears to take about an hour or two. Any suggestions for what else to do before we have to return the rental car by 3:30 that day? Have already done road to Hana and have no interest in going to Halaekala.

Old April 30th, 2012, 12:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsleeper View Post
Will be on POA. In Maui, Day 1 we will go to snorkel Black Rock and then head to Lahanai.
Day 2 We were thinking of doing IO Valley but this only appears to take about an hour or two. Any suggestions for what else to do before we have to return the rental car by 3:30 that day? Have already done road to Hana and have no interest in going to Halaekala.
Some ideas:

1. Visit the "upcountry" area around "Cowboy-paniolo town" Makawao and Kula. Lavender farm, orchid farm, winery, ziplines, several great arts and craft galleries (meet the artist, visit the studio, etc), several interesting restaurants for lunch (try Hali`imaile General Store)

and/or

2. Visit "hippie-town" area around Pa`ia and "lower Pa`ia". Some nice north shore beaches like Ho`okipa or Baldwin (but rough in winter), more interesting shopping, restaurants for lunch (try Charlies or Paia Fish Market).

J & M

Sailed:
Feb 2012 - NCL Pride of America - Hawai`i (again!)
Feb 2011 - Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos
Dec 2010 - Carnival Glory - Bahamas
Dec 2009 - Celebrity Millennium - Lower Caribbean
Nov 2008 - NCL Majesty - Bahamas
Jan 2008 - NCL Majesty - Western Caribbean
Mar 2007 - NCL Pride of America - Hawai`i
Mar 2006 - NCL Majesty - Western Caribbean

Last edited by chihuaha; April 30th, 2012 at 12:30 PM.

Old May 1st, 2012, 05:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chihuaha View Post
Some ideas:

1. Visit the "upcountry" area around "Cowboy-paniolo town" Makawao and Kula. Lavender farm, orchid farm, winery, ziplines, several great arts and craft galleries (meet the artist, visit the studio, etc), several interesting restaurants for lunch (try Hali`imaile General Store)

and/or

2. Visit "hippie-town" area around Pa`ia and "lower Pa`ia". Some nice north shore beaches like Ho`okipa or Baldwin (but rough in winter), more interesting shopping, restaurants for lunch (try Charlies or Paia Fish Market).

J & M
These are two excellent suggestions. I work with someone from Maui and they made the same recommendations. So I don't think you can wrong.

Old April 30th, 2012, 01:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

Don't know when your sailing but possibly a whale tour out of Ma'alaea which is about 15 min. from cruise pier and or Maui Ocean Center. These two are side by side.

Last edited by Pokeraddict; April 30th, 2012 at 01:30 PM.

Old May 5th, 2012, 07:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

When we were in Maui on the POA last summer, we rented a car on the first day and headed to Lahaina/Kaanapali (stopping off to attend Sunday Mass first). We had booked an Atlantis Submarine excursion there, which was wonderful. We poked around Front Street and spent time showing our children places we had been on our honeymoon 25 years earlier. We ended that day by attending the Old Lahaina Luau. We drove back to the ship and my husband and son went and dropped off the car, catching the last shuttle of the evening back.
The second day we didn't have any firm plans because when we had finally decided a few weeks before our trip to try the Haleakala Sunrise Tour (we drove it ourselves on our honeymoon and didn't want to this time), we found that we had waited too long to book it: the ship's excursion was sold out and there was no outside company that offered a sunrise tour that fit our needs. Once on board, we decided at the last minute to book the ship's excursion (no worries about missing sail away!) to the Iao Valley, Maui Plantation (where a nice lunch was included) and the Maui Ocean Center. We were very happy we did. Even though this was a ship's excursion, it was basically bus transportation to the various places where we were "set free" to do as we liked. There was enough time in each place to not feel rushed. Since you have a rental car, you could drive to each of these places yourself if you're interested. I also think Chihuaha's suggestions look very interesting and I'm going to keep them in mind for our next trip! Good luck with your planning!

Old May 5th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by namaste1223 View Post
We drove back to the ship and my husband and son went and dropped off the car, catching the last shuttle of the evening back.
Do you remember what time was the last shuttle?

On our second day on POA for this Aug., we've booked a Molokiki diving/snorkeling trip, so will be getting up very early for that. We'll follow with a trip to Ioa Needle, then to Lahaina and black sand beach to snorkel, and then drive the north side back to Kahalui.

Went on:
Carnival Freedom Aug. 24/13 (8d, FLL -> Grand Turk; La Romana, DR; Curacao; Aruba)
NCL Pride of America Aug. 25/2012 (7d Hawaii; Honolulu -> Kahului, Maui; Hilo; Kona; Kauai)
Carnival Splendor Aug. 22/2010 (Long Beach -> Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Luca)
Costa Fortuna Mar. 14/2010 (7d, FLL->Nassau, Ocho Rios, G Cayman, Cozumel)
Carnival Splendor Aug. 30, 2009, hurrican Jimena forced changes (7d, Long Beach -> Catalina; Ensenada; Cabo; missed PV and Maz)
Carnival Triumph Jun 29, 2009 (5d, New York -> Saint John/NB; Halifax)
Carnival Liberty Aug. 23, 2008 (7d, Miami -> Half Moon Cay; USVI; San Juan; Grand Turk)
Carnival Destiny Aug. 26, 2007 (7d, San Juan -> USVI; Dominica; Barbados; St. Lucia; Antigua)
Carnival Miracle Aug. 27, 2006 (7d, Tampa -> G Cayman; Cozumel; Belize; Costa Maya)
Norwegian Wind Aug. 24, 2005 (10d Honolulu, Oahu -> Hilo; Fanning island; Kauai; Lahaina, Maui; Kona)

Old May 6th, 2012, 12:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Middleager View Post
Do you remember what time was the last shuttle?

On our second day on POA for this Aug., we've booked a Molokiki diving/snorkeling trip, so will be getting up very early for that. We'll follow with a trip to Ioa Needle, then to Lahaina and black sand beach to snorkel, and then drive the north side back to Kahalui.
Wow! That seems like a very ambitious program for one day! What are you doing on Day 1 (or am I misunderstanding and this is actually Day 1 in Maui, but Day 2 of the cruise)?
I seem to remember that the luau (which was in Lahaina) ended about 8:30 or so and we had no time to waste getting back, so I'm pretty sure the last shuttle was at 9pm (We used Thrifty through their Blue Chip program). The person I spoke to on the phone at Thrifty when I called to ask the very same question told me that they would wait if we were a little late, but I don't think I'd be comfortable relying on that. You might want to call before reserving to confirm shuttle times for when you're there. Actually, if you do mean this is Day 2 in Maui and the POA sails at 6:00, you'll have no trouble returning your rental before the last shuttle...I hope!

Old May 6th, 2012, 07:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
I seem to remember that the luau (which was in Lahaina) ended about 8:30 or so and we had no time to waste getting back, so I'm pretty sure the last shuttle was at 9pm (We used Thrifty through their Blue Chip program). The person I spoke to on the phone at Thrifty when I called to ask the very same question told me that they would wait if we were a little late, but I don't think I'd be comfortable relying on that.
I understand that if you miss the shuttle there are taxis for a reasonable cost, do you know if this is correct? My intent is to call Thrifty to be on the safe side but thought it would hurt to ask too.

Life is short, break the rules, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that makes you smile.

RCCL Nordic Empress - Bermuda - May 1999
Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean - May 2002
Grand Princess - Western Caribbean - April 2004
Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean - November 2004
Crown Princess - 9 day RT from NY - Eastern Caribbean - May 2007
Caribbean Princess - Repo Cruise - October 2008
Carnival Fascination - Key West & Nassau - May 2009
Caribbean Princess - 8 day Repo Cruise - October 2009
NCL Jewel - Florida & Bahamas - May 2010
NCL Jewel - 9 day RT from NY - Eastern Caribbean - May 2011
Caribbean Princess - 10 day Repo Cruise - October 2011
Pride of America - 13 day Hawaiian Adventure - Land & Cruise - June 2012
NCL Dawn - Western Caribbean - December 2012
NCL Dawn - Bermuda - September 2013
Breakaway - Florida & Bahamas - December 2013
Coral Princess - Panama Canal - March 2014
NCL Gem - 9 day RT from NY - Eastern Caribbean - October 2014

Old May 6th, 2012, 11:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Wow! That seems like a very ambitious program for one day! What are you doing on Day 1 (or am I misunderstanding and this is actually Day 1 in Maui, but Day 2 of the cruise)?
I seem to remember that the luau (which was in Lahaina) ended about 8:30 or so and we had no time to waste getting back, so I'm pretty sure the last shuttle was at 9pm
We tendered in Lahaina last time and drove the RT Hana. Loved it. So I know the roads/driving south of Lahaina. This time like to go to the north (on day 2).

The Molokini diving/snorkeling is on our day 2 of Maui, because it starts early. We'll be getting back to the ship earlier on day 1, so we should have no problem. Day 1 we're going to Mt. Haleakala, and then either a beach, or maybe will do Ioa Needle too (and not go there on day 2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyskie View Post
I understand that if you miss the shuttle there are taxis for a reasonable cost, do you know if this is correct? My intent is to call Thrifty to be on the safe side but thought it would hurt to ask too.
I heard it's walkable, as people who returned cars late can walk. But I'd like to know how long the walk is. On day 2 in Maui, we'll like to start driving at 5:50am (to get to boat ramp by 6:30am) So if it's a 10min. walk that how we'll need to plan for it.

Went on:
Carnival Freedom Aug. 24/13 (8d, FLL -> Grand Turk; La Romana, DR; Curacao; Aruba)
NCL Pride of America Aug. 25/2012 (7d Hawaii; Honolulu -> Kahului, Maui; Hilo; Kona; Kauai)
Carnival Splendor Aug. 22/2010 (Long Beach -> Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, Cabo San Luca)
Costa Fortuna Mar. 14/2010 (7d, FLL->Nassau, Ocho Rios, G Cayman, Cozumel)
Carnival Splendor Aug. 30, 2009, hurrican Jimena forced changes (7d, Long Beach -> Catalina; Ensenada; Cabo; missed PV and Maz)
Carnival Triumph Jun 29, 2009 (5d, New York -> Saint John/NB; Halifax)
Carnival Liberty Aug. 23, 2008 (7d, Miami -> Half Moon Cay; USVI; San Juan; Grand Turk)
Carnival Destiny Aug. 26, 2007 (7d, San Juan -> USVI; Dominica; Barbados; St. Lucia; Antigua)
Carnival Miracle Aug. 27, 2006 (7d, Tampa -> G Cayman; Cozumel; Belize; Costa Maya)
Norwegian Wind Aug. 24, 2005 (10d Honolulu, Oahu -> Hilo; Fanning island; Kauai; Lahaina, Maui; Kona)

Old May 7th, 2012, 10:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
The Thrifty in Kahalui is less than 2 miles away so a taxi is only ~$8 for a carload.

Old May 8th, 2012, 11:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Yes, there were taxis a short distance away. My husband said he heard from people that had used them that they were expensive. He said that it wasn't that far to return to the ship (about 1.5 miles) and if it were daylight, he would have walked it.