Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old May 1st, 2012, 01:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Best deal to get to Vancouver, Canada June 2, 2012...????

Looking at flying, cruising, shuttle, train, bus etc. from Nevada to Vancouver, Canada for a cruise through Alaska and back to Vancouver.

I see a 2 day Princess cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver for $99 each. There is a 11 day gap before getting on the Princess for the cruise through Alaska.

Train is out of the question, husband doesn't want that.

Shuttle from SeaTac Airport/Pier 66/Pier 91 to Vancouver and back is $98 per person. Flight to Seattle is $285 per person.

Trying to add more cruises under the Princess name, so I can eventually get free Internet, but would consider any cruise. Already have the Alaska cruise locked up for a great price, two of them, so it is round trip, Vancouver to Alaska and back to Vancouver. We did that so that if we drive we will have the car in Vancouver. If we fly, it is cheaper round trip.

My question to those who cruise the Alaska, are there tours in Vancouver that make sense to fill up the 11 days before the cruise? that are cost efficient? Is there a way to get to Vancouver early enough to board 6/2 and not break the bank? If we fly, we could fly to L.A. or such to cruise to Vancouver or Seattle and then shuttle... No cheap flight it seems to Seattle or Vancouver (Alaska/Air Canada).

What's the options out there? I looked at cruises from San Francisco... etc.

Trying to find a solution... any help would be most appreciated.

I think the drive would be two days, about 10 hours each. I maybe wrong. Also, I understand there are two piers/ports in Vancouver quite the distance from each other. Which does Princess use?

Old May 1st, 2012, 09:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

We always fly direct to Vegas from either Vancouver or Bellingham. There is a shuttle from Bellingham. Usually can fine a good deal.
Eurodam- June 2012- Baltic

Old May 1st, 2012, 12:19 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda the Adventurer View Post
Looking at flying, cruising, shuttle, train, bus etc. from Nevada to Vancouver, Canada for a cruise through Alaska and back to Vancouver.

I see a 2 day Princess cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver for $99 each. There is a 11 day gap before getting on the Princess for the cruise through Alaska.

Shuttle from SeaTac Airport/Pier 66/Pier 91 to Vancouver and back is $98 per person. Flight to Seattle is $285 per person.

Trying to add more cruises under the Princess name, so I can eventually get free Internet, but would consider any cruise. Already have the Alaska cruise locked up for a great price, two of them, so it is round trip, Vancouver to Alaska and back to Vancouver. We did that so that if we drive we will have the car in Vancouver. If we fly, it is cheaper round trip.

My question to those who cruise the Alaska, are there tours in Vancouver that make sense to fill up the 11 days before the cruise? that are cost efficient? Is there a way to get to Vancouver early enough to board 6/2 and not break the bank? If we fly, we could fly to L.A. or such to cruise to Vancouver or Seattle and then shuttle... No cheap flight it seems to Seattle or Vancouver (Alaska/Air Canada).

I think the drive would be two days, about 10 hours each. I maybe wrong. Also, I understand there are two piers/ports in Vancouver quite the distance from each other. Which does Princess use?
Your drive time to Vancouver will be about 20 to 23 hours depending where you are starting from in NV. I am a native Vancouverite but 11 days precruise maybe just a little much, particularly with hotel rooms running $150 to $200/night. You could spend a couple of nights up at Whistler and another couple over on Vancouver Island and Victoria...but 11 days would be a bit hard to fill.

If you are anywhere close to Las Vegas, Allegiant offers some pretty inexpensive fares to Bellingham, WA and then it is an easy shuttle ride to Vancouver.

Upcoming Cruises
Western Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 10, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 17, 2015
Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - January 24, 2015
British Isles - Royal Princess - August 25, 2015
Hawaiian Islands - Ruby Princess - January 9, 2016

Previous Cruises:
Eastern Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 19, 2014 .. Western Caribbean - Celebrity Silhouette - Jan 12, 2014 .. Athens to Venice - Ruby Princess Sept. 15, 2013 .. Rome to Athens - Ruby Princess - Sept. 9, 2013 .. Southern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 16, 2013 .. Eastern Caribbean - Emerald Princess - Jan. 6, 2013 .. Mediterranean & Adriatic - Grand Princess - Sept. 4, 2012 .. Southern Caribbean - Celebrity Constellation - Jan. 14, 2012 .. Mexican Riviera - HAL Oosterdam - Dec. 24, 2011 .. Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 18, 2011 . . Pacific Coastal - Sapphire Princess - May 14, 2011 . .Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 11, 2011 .. Eastern Caribbean - Ruby Princess - Jan. 16, 2011 .. Western Caribbean - Crown Princess -Jan. 8, 2011 .. Mexican Riviera - Sapphire Princess - Dec. 4, 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Sept. 4 2010 .. Alaska - Diamond Princess - Aug. 28, 2010. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 9, 2010 .. Southern Caribbean - Grand Princess - Jan. 15, 2010 .. Alaska - Sapphire Princess - Sept. 19, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Coral Princess - May 15, 2009 .. Panama Canal - Coral Princess - Jan 6, 2009 .. Pacific Coastal - Golden Princess - May 3, 2008 .. Hawaii - Diamond Princess -Dec.18,2007 .. Alaska - Celebrity Mercury - Aug. 10, 2007 .. Alaska - Canadian National Steamship's - SS Prince George - 13 cruises - May thru Sept, 1963 (crew member)

Old May 1st, 2012, 03:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Check out Allegiant Air. It flies out of Las Vegas to Bellingham and you can sometimes get incredibly low priced flights (as low as $19.00 or $39.00)

Old May 1st, 2012, 03:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Putterdude View Post
If you are anywhere close to Las Vegas, Allegiant offers some pretty inexpensive fares to Bellingham, WA and then it is an easy shuttle ride to Vancouver.
For example:
You can fly Allegiant LAS-BLI June 1 and return June 9 for $140 (closer to $200 by the time luggage etc is added) Alaska is about $250.
The same shuttle will be porportionately cheaper as well.
NCL Pearl, Panama Canal 10/2011 (14)+Orlando (5)
NCL Pearl, Pacific Coastal 9/2011 (5)
NCL Star, Pacific Coastal 9/2010 (5)+Los Angeles (5)
Golden Princess, Pacific Coastal 10/2009 (7)+Los Angeles (5)
Celebrity Century, W. Med & Malta 10/2008 (10)+Barcelona (6)
NCL Wind, Hawaii & Fanning Island 10/2005 (10)
RCL Rhapsody of the Seas, Alaska 8/2000 (7)

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 1st, 2012, 03:59 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

Check out West Jet (a Canadian economy airline). I just did a dummy res LAX to Vancouver & return, and it came back at close to $300 pp including all taxes.

Last edited by agabbymama; May 1st, 2012 at 04:00 PM.

Old May 1st, 2012, 04:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default thank you all

thank you all

Old May 1st, 2012, 06:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Husband found a solution!!!!

Quote:
thank you all
He booked a flight through Princess, at a reasonable price. If there is any flight delays on the 3 legs, Princess will fly us to the next port.

Hooray !!!!

Old May 1st, 2012, 06:11 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
He booked a flight through Princess, at a reasonable price. If there is any flight delays on the 3 legs, Princess will fly us to the next port.
Are you sure this is true? Was this cheaper than just booking the flights directly with the airline yourself?

Old May 1st, 2012, 06:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6rugrats View Post
Are you sure this is true? Was this cheaper than just booking the flights directly with the airline yourself?
Husband is happy and I am happy we are flying. The fare is fair, perhaps a few dollars more, but we have the BIG plus if there are flight problems Princess will fix it .... to me that is worth another $100+.