Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 09:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

Question Mal de Debarquement + long flight

Has anyone who has experienced MDD after a cruise noticed if its worse after a long flight? I've had this after every cruise, usually for about a week. Mostly vertigo. The one time I had a short flight (~2.5 hours) it lasted for 2 weeks, but it was also a very turbulent flight. I'm going on a 10 day European cruise with a 9 hour flight. I'm a little worried that the extended flight might make it worse when I return. (we're not staying any extra days, flying the same days of the cruise). On this cruise we only have 2 full days at sea, once in the beginning and once near the end. I'm hoping that will help as well.

Old May 2nd, 2012, 01:44 PM
50,000+ Club

I've had it, too, but the flight has never made it better or worse. You might try some motion sickness meds....that can help!

Old May 2nd, 2012, 04:50 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I have read here to take seasick medicine after you get off the ship even though you are on land. If you took it on the ship, continue to do so when cruise is over.

Any one else heard this?????????
Regency
Premier
Cape Canaveral Cruises
Carnival
Royal Caribean
NCL
Celebrity
Princess
Costa

Old May 3rd, 2012, 01:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

My husband had it real bad once and a doctor told him to take meclazine (Bonine). I've had it several times and it usually goes away in a couple days. I can't say if the long flight makes it worse or not, I don't think so.

Old May 3rd, 2012, 03:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

After our first cruise, it took me 2 weeks to get my land legs back. It was horrible the first week. We were rolling pretty good on that cruise.

Our second cruise we hardly felt any motion, and I wasn't quite as bad after that one, within a week I was back to normal, and symptoms weren't as severe as the first one.

I don't think it has anything to do with the flying. Somone recommended to start taking Bonine a few days prior to getting on the ship and continuing it a few days after. I tried it for our 2nd cruise, but I didn't like how it made me feel, but I get side effects from anything I try taking. You can buy Bonine at Walmart, it's not too expensive.

Lovin this cruisin thing!

Sapphire Princess...Alaska!............8/4/12
Crown Princess....Western Carib.....2/5/11
Emerald Princess...Eastern Carib.....2/28/10