Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Ask a Cruise Question

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Ask a Cruise Question Post your general cruise questions here.

Old May 5th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hurtigruten deposits

Anyone else have problems with deposit refunds from Hurtigruten? I think I have been scamed

Old May 5th, 2012, 10:00 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lighthousenutcase View Post
Anyone else have problems with deposit refunds from Hurtigruten? I think I have been scamed
If you will give more details of how your deposit was not refunded per the contract schedule, it would help to determine if you are owed money or if it was properly held as forfeiture. (when did you book, when is the sail date, did you pay a 20% deposit, or more, when did you cancel and how was it done)

Been There Done That: Crown Princess April 2013, Crown Princess Oct/Nov 2012, Grand Princess Dec 2011, Sapphire Princess March 2011, Emerald Princess July 2010, Maui by Kayak March 2008, Grand Princess March 2007 (Man Overboard Cruise) Carnival Spirit March 2006, Golden Princess June 2004, Star Princess July 2002, Ryndam June 1998, Nordic Prince 1986, Norway 1984

Old May 6th, 2012, 05:08 AM
5,000+ Club

Yes, we do need more details. Other than they were a bit slow in processing the paperwork, we've not had any problems with them, but we have followed their procedures and timelines when requesting something.

Old May 6th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Was I Scammed or just stupid

We booked and paid deposit of 20% on July 29,2011 ($1316 for the two of us) The brochure's terms and conditions said cancellation before 90 days of trip was no fee. Due to ilness we had to cancel so on May 3 2012 we cancelled for the August 15 package tour that included hotel in Oslo and train to Bergen for August 16 sailing on Hurtigruten's Midatsol. Our booking agent said we had booked thru her travel agency (which the brochure said to do) and they did not do refunds. That was NEVER mentioned in our contract which came on a Hurtigruten letterhead or any other correspondance until we cancelled.

Her final correspondence said "We are unable to offer any refund on deposits all correspondence shows that we are a UK based company and all price's quoted have been quoted in Brithish pounds . Booking conditions are also on our website for all passengers to view." Sure enough-it said no refund of deposit.!!

Old May 6th, 2012, 01:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
We booked and paid deposit of 20% on July 29,2011 ($1316 for the two of us) The brochure's terms and conditions said cancellation before 90 days of trip was no fee. Due to ilness we had to cancel so on May 3 2012 we cancelled for the August 15 package tour that included hotel in Oslo and train to Bergen for August 16 sailing on Hurtigruten's Midatsol. Our booking agent said we had booked thru her travel agency (which the brochure said to do) and they did not do refunds. That was NEVER mentioned in our contract which came on a Hurtigruten letterhead or any other correspondance until we cancelled.

Her final correspondence said "We are unable to offer any refund on deposits all correspondence shows that we are a UK based company and all price's quoted have been quoted in Brithish pounds . Booking conditions are also on our website for all passengers to view." Sure enough-it said no refund of deposit.!!
Take it up with your Credit Card Company. They have the horsepower to work miracles.

Side point: Does Hurtigruten refund your money to the travel agency?

Carnival Spirit 2003 (Caribbean)
Carnival Fascination 2004 (Caribbean)
HAL Noordam 2004 (Norway)
Celebrity Horizon 2005 (Caribbean)
Sun Princess 2006 (Caribbean)
Diamond Princess 2007 (Alaska)
Carnival Splendor 2008 ( E. Mediterranean)
Carnival Glory 2010 (b2b E+W Caribbean)
Emerald Princess 2012 (Caribbean)
Island Princess 2012 (Panama Canal-full transit)
Ruby Princess 2014 (Caribbean)
HAL Ryndam 2014 (W. Caribbean)

Old May 6th, 2012, 03:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Our booking agent said we had booked thru her travel agency (which the brochure said to do) and they did not do refunds. That was NEVER mentioned in our contract which came on a Hurtigruten letterhead or any other correspondance until we cancelled.

This sounds as if your travel agency is "scaming" you rather than Hurtigruten?

What I don't understand is, where did you book? In the US (as that's where you seem to be from and you state you paid in $) or in the UK?

The UK booking conditions state:
60 or more days - Retention of deposit
42–59 days - 30%
28–41 days - 60%
14–27 days - 90%
Less than 14 days - 100%

While the US booking conditions state:
More than 90 days before - No fee
90-61 days before - Fee corresponding with the deposit paid
42-60 days before - 30%
28-41 days before - 60%
14-27 days before - 90%
Less than 14 days before - 100%

If you indeed booked with an UK based ta, under UK booking conditions... it appears that you might indeed have lost your deposit.

Last edited by Piggeldy; May 6th, 2012 at 03:04 PM.

Old May 6th, 2012, 05:55 PM
5,000+ Club

Sounds to me like it's the agency that is scamming you, not Hurtigruten. Indeed, take it up with your credit card company, and you might also contact Hurtigruten directly, and see what their response is.