Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Crystal Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Crystal Cruises
Read Crystal Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Crystal Cruise Deals.

Register for a Cruise Critic/Crystal Cruises Meet & Mingle

Need to make a change or addition to your Meet & Mingle registration? Update Your Meet & Mingle Registration

GO TO: Crystal ROLL CALL Forums

Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Art Sales

Is there an art gallery on Crystal? The industry has turned against Park West and other auctioneers...is anyone selling art onboard?

Thanks!

Rotterdam V 9/94
Maasdam 12/94
Crystal Harmony 5/95
Regent Rainbow (8/95)
Nieuw Amsterdam 9/95
Noordam 10/95
Crystal Harmony
Veendam
Sun Princess
Crystal Symphony
Sovereign of the Seas
Viking Serenade
Norway
Nordic Empress
Rhapsody of the Seas
Maasdam
Norwegian Dream
Norwegian Sky
Norwegian Sun (12-01)
Norwegian Star (4-02)
Voyager of the Seas (6-02)
NCL Sky aka "Skytanic"(9-02)
Vision of the Seas (12-02)
Mercury (4-03)
Paul Gauguin (5-03)
Zuiderdam (10-03)
River Empress (1-04)
Seven Seas Navigator (2-04)
Seven Seas Voyager (5/04)
Ryndam (10-04)
Seven Seas Voyager (12-04)
Crystal Symphony (3-05)
Crystal Harmony (5-05)
SeaDream 1 (7-05)
Crystal Harmony (11-05)
Celebrity Infinity (10/06)
Pride of America (1/07)
Norwegian Sun (10/07)
Norwegian Star (12/08)
Norwegian Epic (5/11)

Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:52 AM
Cool Cruiser

I haven't seen any art auctions on board either ship in over a year. On the Symphony, corridors that lead to Prego used to display them and have been replaced by large posters (you can see one if you look at the computer center) and the dedicated art gallery on the Serenity is now a shop...so I would say that the auction was left on land.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:44 AM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out2See View Post
I haven't seen any art auctions on board either ship in over a year. On the Symphony, corridors that lead to Prego used to display them and have been replaced by large posters (you can see one if you look at the computer center) and the dedicated art gallery on the Serenity is now a shop...so I would say that the auction was left on land.
Absolutely correct!

Keith

Old August 3rd, 2012, 07:53 AM
10,000+ Club

Default Good Choice by Crystal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Out2See View Post
Cheers for Crystal in making their ships a "free-zone" from such hype and flim flam. That type of salesmanship and questionable "values" does not really fit for the environment of a class operation.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For details and visuals, etc., from our July 1-16, 2010, Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. This posting is now at 77,744 views.
http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/s....php?t=1227923

Old August 3rd, 2012, 12:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree - art auctions have no place on a luxury line. We took a quick, 5-day trip on QM2 on in 2010 and were appalled to see masses of tacky "art" displayed throughout most of the Winter Garden, pretty much making that room unavailable for passenger relaxation for the duration of the voyage. It was a disappointment on both counts. A company striving to honor Cunard's long tradition should have known better.

Old August 3rd, 2012, 05:19 PM
10,000+ Club

Default Yes, absolutely....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seafairer View Post
I agree - art auctions have no place on a luxury line. We took a quick, 5-day trip on QM2 on in 2010 and were appalled to see masses of tacky "art" displayed throughout most of the Winter Garden, pretty much making that room unavailable for passenger relaxation for the duration of the voyage. It was a disappointment on both counts. A company striving to honor Cunard's long tradition should have known better.
but someone must be purchasing!

Cunard is heavily into the art auctions and 'deals' with outside vendors doing the work. If you say that you can't fly home with your painting, they will offer to have it shipped. Curiously the shipments are done elsewhere and you aren't buying the same item you saw on the ship.

A sucker is born, etc.