Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Costa Maya

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:36 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACruiseGuy View Post
Maybe the cruise lines should collect relief money.......

They build a port and a pier, and all their ships benefit.

It would be great if they focus some funds to the people who lived there....as well as reconstruction efforts.

Can you imagine visiting Costa Maya in the future, and not being able to visit the fishing village? Its the real reason the port has any substance....
ACruiseGuy,
I'm curious.... Did Julie Minter email you??? Just wondering!!!!

In Memory of September 11th
Always Remember, Never Forget.......

Carnival Sensation-Caribbean---March 2002
Caribbean Princess-Caribbean--January 2005
Pride of America-Hawaii------------October 2005
Carnival Paradise-Mexico Baja--March 2006
Carnival Valor--Caribbean----------December 2006
Coral Princess-Panama Canal----April 2007
Carnival Miracle-Caribbean--------November 2007
Tahitian Princess-Tahiti--------------October 2008
Ruby Princess----Caribbean---------November 2009
Grand Princess- Caribbean---------January 2011
Caribbean Princess-Caribbean----February 2012
Ocean Princess-Tahiti Islands-February 2014

The Scuba Diving in Tahiti was fantastic

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Here is the pic of Chac-Chi, the resort to the right of the pier. The owner sent me the letter and the link.
http://news.yahoo.com/photo/070822/i...r582010275.jpg

I tried to get it to upload, but no cigar.

Piece it together with picture of the cruise ship port and you have the panorama.. Its so sad.

Marge
Starz723

Un-Official Vocalist and Entertainer

Marge
Starz723@aol.com

Last edited by Starz723; August 22nd, 2007 at 11:39 PM.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:41 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for posting! Our thoughts and prayers are with them.
7/2008 Carnival Conquest - good times
10/2008 Carnival Fantasy - me & hub
3/2009 Carnival Fantasy - spring break!
12/2009 Carnival Dream - Dream NYE

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hey Music City: we love Nashville and all the people in Tenn. Thank you for the great pictures. We sat in those green chairs when we visited in Jan. Your pictures made me smile even tho the news on that region is so very sad. From a New Englander who appreciates the friendly atmosphere of Tenn. and Costa Maya.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for posting the update. I'm glad everyone is OK...............
Valor....11/11

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

No doubt that with their attitude, they will be back, better and stronger. God be with them.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:49 PM
10,000+ Club

Thumbs up Well said Parrothead8,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parrothead8 View Post
I disagree with you 100%...........the people there depended on us to help with their livelihood.............It was the way Mexico used to be...........unspoiled and beautiful(you need to go past the pier area).............I,for one, say bring it back.....and we'll be there!
I agree with you 100%.
I also liked it there very much. I hope it is rebuilt for these people so that the tourists can come back.
238 nights at sea.. 125 nights on RCCL so far
1998 - Viking Serenade.. 3 nt
2001 - Viking Serenade.. 3 nt
2001 - Adventure.. 7 nt cruise
2002 - Enchantment.. (14nt B2B cruises)
2003 - Brilliance.. 11 nt cruise
2004 - Empress.. 11 nt cruise
2006 - Navigator.. (14nt B2B cruises)
2007 - Empress.. 11 nt cruise
2008 - Mariner .. ( 14nt B2B cruises)
2009 - Mariner.. 2 night San Pedro Pre-inaugural cruise
2009 - Adventure.. (14nt B2B cruises)
2010 - Mariner.. 7 nt cruise
2011 - Serenade.. (14 nt B2B cruises)
2012 - Dec. 5-19.. Golden Princess Hawaii cruise
2013 - cruise canceled for a NY summer vacation
2014 - Oct. 30-Nov.10.. cruise cancelled by NCL
2014 - Canceled the Nov. 2 & 9, Galveston Navigator B2B's for the-
2014 - Dec 4 - 19.. Grand Princess Hawaii cruise.

RCCL Diamond Member - 1 point from D + ...
member of the Henry Fan Club

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:56 PM
BeckyThane

Thank you, Mr. Lee.

Has anyone heard from Ivan & David? They do tours of the Mayan ruins.

Old August 22nd, 2007, 11:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

We Will Be Back!!

Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Carnival Fascination 7/30/2012, Carnival Glory 6/2010, Carnival Legend 8/09, Carnival Destiny 3/09, Carnival Spirit 8/2008, Carnival Miracle 12/2007, Carnival Legend 5/2007, Carnival Imagination 2/2007, Carnival Glory 11/2006, Carnival Triumph 7/2006, Carnival Valor 12/2005, Carnival Inspiration 9/2005, RCCI Radiance of the Seas 12/2004

Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:03 AM
20,000+ Club

There really is no reason to walk away at this point. There is property to be developed in that area. All they need is a airport and it's over. When you rode in the cab to Majahual from the pier area did you notice the 2-lane highway? What do you think that's for? The pier will be rebuilt regardless of the future of Majahual. Maybe sad but true. It's always possible investors will get scared and back out but given its potential as a cruise spot someone will go for it.

So it's had a couple big hurricanes??? One this week and one in the 50's? Big deal, that can happen anywhere in the Caribbean in any given year. The pier will be back and the tourist will return, it just might not be the same as it was. Plus the current land owners will probably be willing to sell now more than before Dean just to avoid the expense and struggle of starting over. I would imagine there are many looking at this as a blessing and not so much as a disaster.

Just my .02

Next up:

Grandeur of the Seas - Bahamas/Key West
Oasis of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean

Previous Cruises

Royal Caribbean:
Sovereign Class: Sovereign of the Seas (2x), Monarch of the Seas (2x), Majesty of the Seas
Vision Class: Enchantment of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas (2x), Rhapsody of the Seas
Radiance Class: Jewel of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas
Voyager Class: Adventure of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas (2x), Navigator if the Seas, Voyager of the Seas
Freedom Class: Freedom of the Seas (2x), Liberty of the Seas
Oasis Class: Oasis of the Seas (3x), Allure of the Seas

Celebrity Cruises:
Galaxy
Solstice

Carnival Cruises:
Triumph
Pride
Dream

NCL:
Windward

Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks so much for posting that.....The email makes me feel very humble....My prayers are with them
God Bless

Past Cruises

Princess Regal 1995

Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:18 AM
10,000+ Club

Thank God they had the good sense to evacuate days in advance.

Buildings can be rebuilt, people are irreplaceable.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:21 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrleo33 View Post
I just got this email from the folks at Chac Chi and wanted to share it because I know so many of your are concerned about them and have been praying for their safety:

Hi,
As you know hurricane Dean entered on Mahahual the 21th of August. My self and my family would like to thank you for all your prayers and good thoughts for our family, workers and Chac-Chi. We appreciate the time you took to write us to ask about our status. When Dean arrived, Chac-Chi was empty, we all left several days in advance to a safer place and we are all fine.
Dean strike Mahahual with a huge force and the results were not good for us and for most of the inhabitants of Mahahual. Most of the touristic infrastructure was severely damaged, buildings that were not of concrete were almost completely destroyed.
Unfortunately Chac-Chi was strongly damaged, our main structure, a big palapa which holds the restaurant, had lost it's roof and several of or cabañas were also damaged. You can see a picture by Reuters of our place at the following link.
Another bad news was the lost of almost half the Costa Maya pier and they estimate that it will be repair in about 6 to 8 months (http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=2162).
We are still evaluating the extensive damage that our place received, and we estimate a long recovery time. We hope to be open around the same time that the cruise ship pier is repaired and will be open as long as you or people as your self are willing to come to our place to have a good time. All changes are for good and life give us new opportunities to improve, we will try to make a better place were you can enjoy and relax on your vacations.
Once again I would like to thank you for all your support this years and we hope to see you again when we are up and running again.
Joaquin R.
Thank you for the post...Hope all comes back quickly. I have never been to your place but from all I've read over the past day and a half....I'll make sure to visit you the next time......
What a great attitude yoou have.....
T's & P's.....
MrLeo...Could you make sure the posts placed on this thread get back to them .......

"Cruise Critic" official group cruise group leader...September 18th 2010...Carnival Fantasy out of Charleston, SC. The cruise I met my sweetie on...

CCL: Fantasy (3)-Sensation-Miracle-Liberty-Inspiration-Destiny (2)-Glory-Dream-Valor
RCCL: Grandeaur (2)-Enchantment
NCL: Leeward-Dawn
HAL: Veendam (3)-Ryndam (2)-Maasdam
Celebrity: Zenith (2)-Horizon
Princess: Golden
Regal: Regal Empress (2)

Upcoming cruises...

NCL Getaway Oct. 25th 2014...

Last edited by jessemon; August 23rd, 2007 at 12:32 AM.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:23 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Ok, Julie was able to email me again. She's in another town as they have no power. She said Frank and Enrique are ok. I don't know who they are, but apparently well known in town and by tourists. She also sent me photos from today that Frank took..... I will post several here. I am also posting some of Julie's email. But first, let's start with a photo I took of Costa Maya as were leaving on our cruise. I forgot I took until I was looking back through my photos.....

In a message dated 8/22/2007 8:08:15 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, julie@blueoceansafari.com writes
thank God that Frank and Enrique are ok, attached is what he saw today,and pictures of mahahaul., and our house, sorry, I don't know what to think... or say, as far as where to send stuff, if you would think about sending it to Continental Airlines in Cancun, we are in the midst of setting up a tatastrophy area, to help EVRYONE, not just a few, so please believe me when I say that I and everyone in Mahahual thanks you for anything you can do. we have all lost everything, but we are very greatful to have people care about our little paradise, yes it is a village, and we will grow again, of course if you have any pictures of Mahahual, from before, remember it, now is just rocks and debri everywhere. I'm in mexico now. the only gas station was whiped out, so we need containers to put gasoline in, if you could send 10gls or 5lgs.. anyway we will have a real assestment by tomorrow evening... God Bless.

with the outmost regard

Julie Minter

In a message dated 8/22/2007 8:08:15 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, julie@blueoceansafari.com writes
Praise be to the Lord Jesus for sparing your home. mine was not as fortunate, but we are confident it will get rebuild some day.
I know you won´t mind me sending your email to our friends at cruise critics, they are very interested in helping our community, our little paradise, and there is lots of people who are concerned, I am so humble by all of the outpour of support, we need to come up with a commity to insure that the people of mahahual get assistance, we all needed.

Dan, and Debbie, and Kat, please forward this email to all who are interested in helping, and God Bless you..

Julie

In Memory of September 11th
Always Remember, Never Forget.......

Carnival Sensation-Caribbean---March 2002
Caribbean Princess-Caribbean--January 2005
Pride of America-Hawaii------------October 2005
Carnival Paradise-Mexico Baja--March 2006
Carnival Valor--Caribbean----------December 2006
Coral Princess-Panama Canal----April 2007
Carnival Miracle-Caribbean--------November 2007
Tahitian Princess-Tahiti--------------October 2008
Ruby Princess----Caribbean---------November 2009
Grand Princess- Caribbean---------January 2011
Caribbean Princess-Caribbean----February 2012
Ocean Princess-Tahiti Islands-February 2014

The Scuba Diving in Tahiti was fantastic

Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:24 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retired not Expired View Post
The pier comes straight into that red building on the right. It would be to the right of that photo.
Oops - sorry guys - my perspective was off.
Carnival Valor
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Glory
Carnival Victory x2
Carnival Miracle

Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:33 AM
20,000+ Club

Great pics of Majahual MC! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Next up:

Grandeur of the Seas - Bahamas/Key West
Oasis of the Seas - Eastern Caribbean

Previous Cruises

Royal Caribbean:
Sovereign Class: Sovereign of the Seas (2x), Monarch of the Seas (2x), Majesty of the Seas
Vision Class: Enchantment of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas (2x), Rhapsody of the Seas
Radiance Class: Jewel of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas
Voyager Class: Adventure of the Seas, Mariner of the Seas (2x), Navigator if the Seas, Voyager of the Seas
Freedom Class: Freedom of the Seas (2x), Liberty of the Seas
Oasis Class: Oasis of the Seas (3x), Allure of the Seas

Celebrity Cruises:
Galaxy
Solstice

Carnival Cruises:
Triumph
Pride
Dream

NCL:
Windward

Old August 23rd, 2007, 12:39 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz723 View Post
Here is the pic of Chac-Chi, the resort to the right of the pier. The owner sent me the letter and the link.

I tried to get it to upload, but no cigar.

Piece it together with picture of the cruise ship port and you have the panorama.. Its so sad.

Marge
Starz723

7-3-11 -Norweign-Spirit - New Orleans to Cozumel, Belize & Roatan
2-27-11 - Royal Caribbean - Voyager of the Seas - 7 night - Galveston to Cozumel, Falmouth, Grand Caymans

6-21-10 - Royal Caribbean - Majesty of the Seas - 4 night - Miami to Key West, Nassau, Coco Cay.
2-21-10 - Royal Caribbean - Voyager of the Seas - 7 night - Galveston to Cozumel, Roatan, Costa Maya
11-1-09 - Carnival Conquest-7 night (Family Cruise)-Galveston to Cozumel, Jamaica, Grand Caymans
07-23-07 - Carnival - Fantasy-5 night (Mother Daughter Cruise)-New Orleans to Cozumel & Costa Maya
06-3-07-Royal Cari bbean - Rhapsody of the Seas-7 night-Galveston to Cozumel, Roatan, Skipped Costa Maya (due to high winds) back to Cozumel, Progresso
11-30-06 - Royal Caribbean - Splendour of the Seas- 4 night-Galveston to Cozumel
07-2-02 - Royal Caribbean - Rhapsody of the Seas-7 night-Galveston to Key West, Grand Caymans, Cozumel

Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:03 AM
Cool Cruiser

Here is a good 'before' picture of the resort next to the pier to compare to the Reuter's photo.

It was good to hear no one was hurt from the resort. I definately found spirt and hope in the letter that was posted from the resort owner. Costa Maya is battered and bruised, but it will be back.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Chac Chi.jpg (14.0 KB, 425 views)
Celebrity Zenith 9/4/04 (Bermuda Take II)
Legend of the Seas 12/2/06 Our Wedding
Vision of the Seas 11/11/07 Mexico
Monarch of the Seas 5/21/08 DH B-day in Baja
Mariner of the Seas 11/9/08 I'm Turning Platinum!

Last edited by jamiski; August 23rd, 2007 at 01:05 AM.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:14 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz723 View Post
We are still evaluating the extensive damage that our place received, and we estimate a long recovery time. We hope to be open around the same time that the cruise ship pier is repaired and will be open as long as you or people as your self are willing to come to our place to have a good time. All changes are for good and life give us new opportunities to improve, we will try to make a better place were you can enjoy and relax on your vacations.

Once again I would like to thank you for all your support this years and we hope to see you again when we are up and running again.

Joaquin R.
Thank you Starz for this report. What an amazing attitude! I wish them all the best.

Old August 23rd, 2007, 01:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just from a lot of experience on the Grandeur . . . and also knowing that in the winter and springtime that the currents are too rough for ships to even pull into the dock (remember the dent?) - they used to just have a sea day, just like not being able to pull into Cayman.

Seem to remember that the port can only hold maybe 3-4 ships, so redeploying to another port may not be that big of a deal . . . but it is wintertime and that's when A LOT of the ships that are doing Europe/Alaska and other more exotic runs come back to the Caribbean. Remember Cozumel having 13 ships in one time . . totally evil!!!

If someone's got the time . . you can probably go to cruisecal and see who was to be in Costa Maya and figure out where the empty berths are in other ports on the same day

Also thinking that tendering in Costa Maya (like what Cozumel did after their hurricane) would be an issue due to those strong currents . . .