Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > What Ever Happened To........???

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

What Ever Happened To........??? A place to discuss the glorious past of cruising...the ships, the people, the cruise lines, the ports that bring back those wonderful memories.

Old January 19th, 2007, 07:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

The Festivale holds a special place in my heart. On July 6, 1980 (second night of the cruise) while on the bow looking out at the gorgious Caribbean night sky, my boyfriend proposed marrige. I accepted and we were married February 14, 1981 onboard the Queen Mary in Long Beach, CA. We have been on many cruises since then, but nothing beats the cruising experience of those long ago days.

Old January 23rd, 2007, 06:40 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Question Help getting a Past Guest Code...

I see there are quite a few of you who have sailed on the Festivale around, if not in 1989. Well, this is my problem....

That was the last time I sailed with CCL till this upcoming cruise (Jan. 27th) on the Ecstasy. I booked my cruise with an outside TA online not CCL. I have not been able to get through my TA or CCL a past guest code cause CCL said that they did not keep records that far back. In fact I talked twice on the phone with CCL and their operators were useless and not at all helpful on this topic. One said I could just tell them at the terminal when I get on the ship that I was a past guest and they would give me a code...then another CCL operator said I would have to send them a copy of my old tickets! I didn't keep those tickets these past 18 years! GEZZZZZZZZZ.

So have any of you been able to get a past guest code if your last cruise with CCL was on the Festivale? If so...how did you do it?

I am running out of time and I want to be able to attend the past guest party on board and as of now, I will not receive an invitation to the party. GRRRRRR!

To late now to worry about a past guest discount...I have been upgrade from a 1A (bunk bed) to a 5A 2 twins with 2 portholes, so I am happy with that!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks!

UPCOMING TRIPS & CRUISE:

CROSS-COUNTRY RV ROAD TRIP
for 2 months
TO VISIT FAMILY & FRIENDS

***RV ROAD TRIP INCLUDING A CRUISE: OCT. 16 - DEC. 19, 2014***

PANAMA-CENTRAL AMERICA-CARIBBEAN CRUISE
for 11 days on the
CELEBRITY EQUINOX

***RE-UNION CRUISE WITH FRIENDS - NOV. 10, 2014****
CRUISE ROLL CALL--CLICK HERE

COMPLETED CRUISES:

Carnival - 'Festivale': Eastern Caribbean 9-22-89
Royal Caribbean - 'Rhapsody of the Seas': Western Caribbean 9-10-06
Carnival - 'Ecstasy': Western Caribbean 1-27-07
Princess - 'Golden Princess': Mexican Riviera 10-27-07
Princess - 'Crown Princess': Eastern Caribbean 10-26-08
Princess - 'Sapphire Princess': Mexican Riviera 10-31-09
Princess - 'Emerald Princess': Eastern Caribbean 11-28-10
Holland America - 'Oosterdam': Mexican Riviera 1-29-11
Princess - 'Emerald Princess': Southern Caribbean 11-28-11
Carnival - 'Destiny': Bahama Islands-Grand Turk 12-12-11
Princess - 'Grand Princess': 14 Days-Caribbean 11-24-12
Carnival - 'Magic':
Western Caribbean 2-3-13
Princess - 'Emerald Princess': Eastern Caribbean 11-29-13
Princess - 'Caribbean Princess': Western Caribbean 4-26-14

Old January 24th, 2007, 08:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Pre-Database CCL Cruises

We sailed on the Mardi Gras in 1977, 1978 & 1984 and the Festivale in 1979. All in the pre-computerized, pre-database days. No company records around to validate our sailing on these long ago trips. Fortunately, we still have our Welcome Onboard photos with the two of us standing very prominently on the gangway in front of a ship's lifering, with the ship's name and date clearly showing. All we had to do was bring those photos onboard, show them at the guest relations desk, and we were immediately confirmed as loyal alumni cruisers!

Old January 24th, 2007, 09:52 PM
5,000+ Club

What a great idea about bringing the picture. I have that from my Carnivale cruise - although a much younger me.

Carnival's Carnivale 1980 Caribbean
RCCL Nordic Prince 1993 Alaska
Disney Wonder 1999 Caribbean
Celebrity Mercury 2003 Mexico
Carnivale Pride 2004 Mexico
Celebrity Mercury 2004 Mexico
Celebrity Infinity 2005 Hawaii
Diamond Princess 2006 Hawaii
Golden Princess 2008 Hawaii
Star Princess 2009 Mexico
Sea Princess 2010 Mexico
Golden Princess 2011 Hawaii
Grand Princess 2013 Alaska

Old March 13th, 2007, 10:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Red face memories!

It's sad to think that the beautifull Festivale is no longer around - she truly was a majestic lady and not even closely matched by the superliners of today - awesome they may be but not nearly so enchanting. I worked aboard the TSS Festivale for three and a half years - 1986-1990 - and came to think of her as home. Its wonderful to hear that after all these years ther are people such as yourself who share such fond memories .

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelBCroozer View Post
My husband and I took our second cruise in July, 1987 on the Festivale. We went out of San Juan and traveled to St. Thomas, St. Marten, Barbados, & Martinique. It was your oldtime ship. Instead of straight corridors, you had little hallways off the main one and the rooms were different. Not all exactly the same as some are now. I'm glad we got to experience an older ship. We went on the Tropicale in 1985 for our honeymoon and it was the new ship for Carnival, but still enjoyed the Festivale a couple of years later. We just booked our next cruise on the Miracle. It is in the Spirit class and looking forward to trying out that type of ship.

Tropicale 1985
Festivale 1987
Enchanted Isle 1998
Celebration 2000
Inspiration 2001
Conquest 2003
Holiday 2004
Glory 2005
Elation 2006
Miracle June, 2007

Old March 28th, 2007, 08:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonV View Post
I booked my first cruise through Carnival on the Fascination in 1995. It left from San Juan and it was visiting Caracas, Venezuela which was my primary reason for choosing this ship. My partner had a friend who was a travel agent so we gave the booking to him. The travel agent got sick with AIDS and died and we called his office just under 60 days before our cruise and found out that he had booked us on the Festivale.

We got the booking changed to the Fascination but had to pay a cancellation penalty and they wouldn't waive it. When we arrived in San Juan, the Festivale was right next to us and it seemed so small and old but stately.

The older I get, the more I appreciate the classic ships like the Norway, Queen Mary and the Festivale. I sailed a few years ago on the Holiday and loved it and had the time of my life. I wondered if life onboard was similar to what passengers on the Festivale experienced. They were about the same GRT and passenger capacity. The Holiday was an easy ship to learn and get around on and the crew was awesome. Someday the Holiday will be retired too but I can't help to think of how I should have gone on the Festivale. I got into collecting some mementos from the early ships of carnival and a blue rectangular plate of the first 3 Carnival ships is one of my favorite possessions.

I'm sure many of you have traveled on the Festivale and I would love to hear yours stories about her. I highly regret not being able to ever travel on her.
I sailed on the Festivale two times back in the 70's and thought it was a great ship! Had some great times on there and fond memories traveling with friends who were new to cruising. Compared to the newer ships, I like the newer ones better of course! However, we sailed on an old Celebrity ship called the Meridian back in 11/95 and had a large cabin, much larger than most and it was great!

Old July 20th, 2007, 10:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Best Cruise Ship

My mom and sister and I took our very first cruise on the Festivale in January of 1979. Since then, we cruised the Holiday, Regal Empress and the Golden Princess (biggest ship I've ever been on). The Golden Princess took us across the Atlantic (6 days) and then to Ireland, Paris, London, Scotland and Belgium - that definitely was the largest ship and longest cruise but the one I remember most and the one that had the biggest impact on me was the Festivale in 1979. Now that was a ship in every way! We rocked and rolled, literally, all the way to the Carribbean and back - and just as we learned our way around the ship, it was time to disembark. It lasted 7 days. On that ship NO one ever slept. It was a 24/7 party. The stewards were very personable and friendly (like family). Every time you left the room and came back, it was clean, sheets turned back, a chocolate on your pillow. I swear I think they were sitting somewhere watching you so they could jump in there as soon as you left. I believe if you wanted them to read a book to you, they would have! The parties were fun, the people crusing were fun - they even placed you at dining tables according to your marital status and age. We were all three single so they placed us at a dining table with 3 single men our ages. We always ate with the same people. The entire crew became your buddies. They came out to you at the pool to ask if you wanted a coke. We learned that the word "Coca-Cola" was the universal word. Half the time, we couldn't understand what they said and they couldn't understand us - then someone would say "Coca-Cola" and everyone smiled and nodded! Then there were the midnight buffets - the cruise ships today could take a lesson - every cruise we've been on since Festivale, when we ran up to the midnight buffet as they advertised it, we were so disappointed. They were just open restaurants and grills - no flair, no fun. The Festivale's midnight buffet was exciting - every night there was a HUGE ice sculpture in the middle of the buffet with plates as big around as trash can lids with mounds 4 feet tall of meats, cheeses, breads, hors dourves, and so much more it was like a fantasy! They don't do that anymore on the ships of today. The cabins were small like you'd find on a cabin cruiser and the showers would drill holes through you! We rocked and rolled all day and night, tossing and turning. I remember trying to walk down a hallway and the ship pitched and you'd just go falling through a door into someone else's room! Everyone would laugh and we'd get our bearings again. It took us nearly a week on land to get our "land legs" back. Just walking around the house you would find yourself weaving like on the ship. It was so funny! I've been on several beautiful ships since, but nothing has ever left a lasting impression on me like the Festivale has. It was a ship I am so thankful I got to experience! It breaks my heart to see her painted as the Island Breeze and then the Big Red Boat and it really breaks my heart to know she was torn apart. I can't help wondering if the people crusing on her as the Island Breeze and the Big Red Boat could "feel" the Festivale's spirit - it was definitely too strong to subside, even now.

Old July 22nd, 2007, 11:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Such Great Memories

First cruise ever was on the Festivale - summer 1978. My roommate and I had a fantastic time. We had a stateroom with a porthole. One bed was under the porthole so we divided up the time being able to sleep in that bed. The last night of the cruise I woke up and looked out the porthole. We were passing another cruise ship and the picture of the ship in the moon light was wonderful.

Our cabin steward would turn down our beds and put our nightgowns on them with a little fancy "rosette" in the middle.

Wonderful, wonderful memories. Talked about that cruise so much that my husband booked us on Princess for our 20th wedding anniversary. Back on Princess again in 2008 for our 25th.

Coral Princess - January 2008
HAL Zuiderdam - March 2007
Star Princess - February 2003
Carnival Festivale - May 1978

Old August 20th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Omg

That sounds like the room My girlfriends and I had!! I remember it was at the end of the ship. There were 4 of us. They had to bring in two rollaway beds for two of us. We couldn't walk in the cabin at all when the beds were opened up. The toilet was in the shower! The sink was in the room. It was just horrible, we complained about our room, they gave us a bottle of Champagne and 10% off our next cruise!! After 20 years I finally found the courage to go on Carnival again....I hope it's good. We did have a great time on that cruise though!!! I was about 19 or 20 then.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool thefestival 1989

our first on festival was in 1984 and our second was in 1989,loved it and really miss it. have been on carnival triumph,holiday and destiny plus dawn princess. the best ones were FESTIVAL and HOLIDAY.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family 299.jpg (15.2 KB, 91 views)

"
The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever."

Professional Goof Off
Did as little as possible
Now Retired
and doing more of doing less therefore I am working harder.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool festival 84/89

here are some pics of the ship. hope you like them
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TransCastle027CarBook.jpg (33.4 KB, 183 views)
File Type: jpg TransCastle036CarBook.jpg (39.4 KB, 465 views)
File Type: jpg TransCastle016CarnSC2086.jpg (11.7 KB, 173 views)

"

Professional Goof Off
Now Retired

Old September 3rd, 2007, 01:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

was my first cruise back in 1993.. sailed out of san juan. I remember having so much fun on that ship. Thanks for sharing the pictures.. i remember everything about the ship.. and i went down that slide too.. was fun!

I also remember no tv in the rooms either.. we were on the upper deck in a quad interior. don't remember much more than that since I was only 13 years old at the time. I look back on the pictures we took and the video and that always brings back more memories.

Carnival Pride Vacation Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jBKFtkVrw8

Carnival Triumph Vacation Video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NZeM1GQuuDQ

Past Sailings
-------------------
Carnival Pride 1/26/2014
Carnival Magic Inauguration 11/14/11 - 1 night onboard
Carnival Triumph 3/15/2008
Carnival Imagination 11/11/1995
Carnival Festivale 12/5/1993

Last edited by jwlnroe; September 3rd, 2007 at 01:53 PM.

Old September 3rd, 2007, 04:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool festival 1984

in case you all want to see more... ...well here they are ..there are more but I don`t want to bore you all with tooooo much. thanks for all your threads..it was really good reading..some brought TEARS to my DH`s eyes...

butch & muriel

P.S. I think that is the last time I ever shook hands with the CAPTAIN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg family 217.jpg (12.8 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg family 224.jpg (23.2 KB, 168 views)
File Type: jpg family 255.jpg (21.4 KB, 145 views)
File Type: jpg family 297.jpg (15.4 KB, 170 views)
File Type: jpg TransCastle014Carn.jpg (22.9 KB, 115 views)

"

Professional Goof Off
Now Retired

Old September 24th, 2007, 03:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by morriscats View Post
Oh the memories sailing on Carnivale with my 3 single girlfriends. Getting lost in the hallways. Our waiter feeding my friend her dessert because she said she was full. Going to the "room" to dry our hair and use our curling irons because we could not do that in the stateroom (even if there was room). I love the new modern cruise ships but I will never forget that sailing and all the fun we had. I thought we just just the luckiest girls to be able to afford that ($750.00 inluding air to Miami).
I saw you list of ships and dates.

The one and only cruise I have ever been on was that Carnivale in August of 1980 also.

I was bored and just starting trying to track down that old ship and ran across this site. Not sure if that thing is still around. It was a gambling ship in Galveston, Texas for a while in the 90's I believe.

Huh, we were on that ship at the same time. I remember it sailing from Miami on to Puerto Rico, then on to the Virgin Islands if I recall and then on to Nassau in the Bahamas. I think it had to divert because of a hurricane in the gulf at that time if my memory serves me correctly.

Cheers,
Old Oiler

Old October 1st, 2007, 01:43 AM
5,000+ Club

Default pics

Thanx for sharing pics derf...Carnival Holiday actually looks big!!! I love looking at pics of old ships
12/06 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
05/07 Liberty of the Seas - Western Caribbean - Maiden Voyage
10/07 Vision Of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
04/08 Monarch of the Seas - Baja Mexico
09/08 Rhapsody of the Seas - Alaska - now C&A Platinum
01/09 Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 1
04/09 Carnival Elation - Baja Mexico B2B part 2
12/09 Celebrity Equinox - Southern Caribbean
04/10 Radiance of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
10/10 Caribbean Princess - Southern Caribbean
03/11 Majesty of the Seas - Bahamas
05/11 Carnival Paradise - Baja Mexico

So far 101 wonderful days spent at sea!!

Old October 1st, 2007, 02:19 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Oiler View Post
I saw you list of ships and dates.

The one and only cruise I have ever been on was that Carnivale in August of 1980 also.

I was bored and just starting trying to track down that old ship and ran across this site. Not sure if that thing is still around. It was a gambling ship in Galveston, Texas for a while in the 90's I believe.

Huh, we were on that ship at the same time. I remember it sailing from Miami on to Puerto Rico, then on to the Virgin Islands if I recall and then on to Nassau in the Bahamas. I think it had to divert because of a hurricane in the gulf at that time if my memory serves me correctly.

Cheers,

Old Oiler
No, we sailed from Miami to Puerto Rico, Samana and St. Croix. I thought Carnivale was the biggest thing I had seen - now getting ready to sail to Hawaii on Diamond Princess - close to 3000 cruisers!!!

Carnival's Carnivale 1980 Caribbean
RCCL Nordic Prince 1993 Alaska
Disney Wonder 1999 Caribbean
Celebrity Mercury 2003 Mexico
Carnivale Pride 2004 Mexico
Celebrity Mercury 2004 Mexico
Celebrity Infinity 2005 Hawaii
Diamond Princess 2006 Hawaii
Golden Princess 2008 Hawaii
Star Princess 2009 Mexico
Sea Princess 2010 Mexico
Golden Princess 2011 Hawaii
Grand Princess 2013 Alaska

Old October 22nd, 2007, 09:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by just having fun View Post
our first on festival was in 1984 and our second was in 1989,loved it and really miss it. have been on carnival triumph,holiday and destiny plus dawn princess. the best ones were FESTIVAL and HOLIDAY.

Great pics! I loved that ship. We were at a table with 2 other couples and did a "cabin crawl" afterwards to compare cabins. Our cabin was at the very end of the hall and if you went to the left you could go out on a the deck in the front of the ship. You know, the one they don't let you out on anymore. One couple on their honeymoon had twin beds and would push them together at night, and everyday the steward would move them apart.

My kids laugh when they look at pics of the older ships. Their first cruise & and my first on a big ship was the Pride. Boy was that a shocker, I was lost for about an hour the first day.

Carnival Miracle 8/12
RCI Majesty 9/11
Carnival Freedom 1/10
NCL Spirit 8/08
Carnival Triumph 5/06
Carnival Fascination 5/04
Carnival Pride 7/03
Carnival Festivale 4/89

Costa Carla 8/84

Old October 24th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Great Thread!

I've really enjoyed this thread with all the old Carnival memories! My only actual Carnival experience was on the Mardi Gras in 1975 or 76. We had a fabulous time. It was our first cruise experience - our waiter was named "Ace" - he told us he would be our ace in the hole and was he ever. Couldn't do enough for us and had a great time doing so. As another poster mentioned, you dried your hair in special rooms as there were no outlets in the cabins. Also recall it was so rough one night that they actually mounted ropes in the hallways to hang onto. Saw one guy who was obviously a sailor in a previous life and quite pleased with himself as he didn't need to use the ropes and balanced perfectly. It's amazing to think how our expectations of a cruise experience have skyrocked over the years.
We almost went on the Carnivale in 1979 or 1980 - got on the ship and noticed most of the baggage was still on the pier when we were about ten minutes from the scheduled sailing time. Then we heard an announcement that unfortunately due to a labour dispute, the cruise was cancelled! Yikes! Fortunately our tour operator got us rooms at the Fontainbleu for the night and spent the next day trying to arrange either airfare home or an opportunity to stay on at the Fontainbleu. We were lucky and grabbed the second last cabin on the Azur Seas for a four-day Bahamas trip. When we got back to Miami after the mini-cruise we saw in the paper that the striking workers had all been deported by Carnival.
Interesting way to resolve a labour dispute but I doubt if they've had another one since!
Thanks again for the fun memories!

Rob

Old February 28th, 2008, 07:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Festivale - Dec 85

My wife and I had our honeymoon on the Festivale in December 85. We had a wonderful time at what today would be consider an intimate ship. I believe she could accomodate 1400 passengers.

The crew was awesome. I remember one evening, the wait staff performed one of their songs and our waiter came back visually upset. He told us that he was upset because he was first in line to get us the deserts and lost his place when they went to sing.

I don't think I've seen a more accessible talented cruise director (Although Ken Rush from RCCL comes close). The midnight buffets that happen every night would put the infrequent ones on todays ship to shame. Not to mention the "Grand Gala" buffet the last night of the cruise.

Bingo was an event to keep you entertained until the nights entertainment started. It wasn't a "revenue" generating activity as it is today. I believe the cards were $5 each and were good for the 3 or 4 games they played. The entertainment was a mix of professional singers and comedians along with passenger talent shows.

The ships band not only played for the shows, but also afterwards played in a lounge.

Oh yes, cash was accepted on the ship and it was ok to run a tab while you were in a lounge. I understand the reasons the cruiselines need to swipe your card after every drink, but it seems like a waste a paper. What's so bad if you know you will be staying in the lounge for a while to give the waiter your card that he can run when you close up? Would save a lot a paper that way., but I digress....

Our room was small, but we were fortunately to have an ocean view cabin (U59). Before anyone compliments me on my memory, I happen to have the key as I had forgot to leave it in the room when we departed. However, the room seem to get larger as the week progressed. There were no balconies (today, I will not book a room without one), but one of the decks facing aft, was completely empty at 10pm at night, and my wife and another couple would frequently stay there thru the early hours just talking and enjoying the ocean.

Thinking back on this ship, I truly miss her, however having been on ships that are almost 3 times her size, I'm not sure I could go back if I had the opportunity.

I'll try to scan in some pictures I have.

Allure of the Seas 2-26-12
Navigator of the Seas 12-1-2008
Navigator of the Seas 1-28-2008
Liberty of the Seas 9-15-2007
Enchantment of the Seas 11-16-2006

Carnival Fascination 10-7-1995
Carnival Festivale 12-8-1983

Last edited by longwood; February 28th, 2008 at 07:15 PM. Reason: clarification

Old March 13th, 2008, 10:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default The Carnivale

I cruised the Carnivale in the early 80's. My first cruise ever! I went with my work girlfirend, Jean, and we shared a cabin with 2 other young women that we had never met! Jean had the lower bunk, I had the upper bunk. The cabin was "in the basement" of the ship and had a support pole right in the middle of the cabin. And I remember the price, $999 for this 7 day cruise including airfare. That was soooo expensive back then, I was making $4.30 per hour! What a hoot!