Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old February 4th, 2008, 12:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hi Jade...

I agree with Lois.

find out when the high tea will be. It is INFORMAL dress so women in dressy outfits, men in jackets and ties.

Ask the maitre'd if it would be possible for you to attend...

The worse that could happen is for him to say no.

Dave

G.K. Chesterton

Old February 4th, 2008, 05:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

WOW, lots of posts but there still doesn't seem to be a definate answer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kruznkanuk View Post
The elegant teas we have been invited to on every cruise have stated "for Select and Elite Captain's Club members" on the invite. However, if you are Classic level and in a suite I am sure your butler can wrangle you an invite as they can do most anything like that. Just ask the first few days of the cruise so you don't miss it!
When we were invited to the Elegant Tea last time around we weren't Select or Elite members BUT were ina Suite and the invitation was just posted on our door ... ...no wrangling involved .... also, I just checked the invite and it didn't mention anything about being Select, Elite or Suite passengers or being for any specific group.

On X's website it stated for both Suites AND CC that VIP invitations are part of the 'perks' which actually led me to posting the question in the first place so I suppose what I'm trying to figure is are the invites for both Suites and CC the same. It seems though that I will probably have to wait until March when we cruise to see what happens!... Would hate to miss out though if they just 'forgot' to send us an invite (if we're 'supposed' to get one) - this happened to us for our Cruise Critics GTG on our last cruise - they forgot to send us the invite ... luckily though I remembered when it was supposed to be and I telephoned them to double check.
NCL Gem 7-Day Greek Isles, Round-trip Venice 28th August 2010
NCL Jade Canary Islands & Morocco 15th January 2010
Celebrity Summit Southern Caribbean March 22nd 2008
Celebrity Summit Alaska (AGAIN!) July 27th 2007
RCCL Radiance Alaska September 17th 2005
RCCL Grandeur Eastern Caribbean 2000

Old February 4th, 2008, 05:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyMe View Post

When we were invited to the Elegant Tea last time around we weren't Select or Elite members BUT were ina Suite and the invitation was just posted on our door ... ...no wrangling involved .... also, I just checked the invite and it didn't mention anything about being Select, Elite or Suite passengers or being for any specific group.

On X's website it stated for both Suites AND CC that VIP invitations are part of the 'perks' which actually led me to posting the question in the first place so I suppose what I'm trying to figure is are the invites for both Suites and CC the same. It seems though that I will probably have to wait until March when we cruise to see what happens!... Would hate to miss out though if they just 'forgot' to send us an invite (if we're 'supposed' to get one) - this happened to us for our Cruise Critics GTG on our last cruise - they forgot to send us the invite ... luckily though I remembered when it was supposed to be and I telephoned them to double check.
I was leaning towards the "just forgot" as the reason we didn't get our invite on Millie.

Next Up:

=X=Century 10/2001, =X=Mercury 10/2002, Carnival Sensation 01/2003, HAL Zaandam 10/2003, =X=Infinity 04/2004, =X=Summit 10/2004, HAL Zuiderdam 10/2005, HAL Westerdam 10/2006, =X=Constellation 03/2007, <+> Azamara Quest 10/2007, =X=Millennium 01/2008, =X=Century 03/2008, =X=Century 02/2009, =X=Century TA 11/2009, =X=Solstice 10/2010, =X=Solstice TA 11/2011, =X= Millennium 04/2012, =X=Constellation 1/2014

Old February 4th, 2008, 10:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnlyMe View Post
I just went back and checked all of the Celebrity Today issues and other info from our 1/20/08 seven night Millie cruise. There was only one elegant tea in the dining room. It was for anyone on the cruise. It was listed in the Celebrity Today.
When we arrived in our cabin, there was a welcome aboard letter from the Captain's Club representative. It also listed all of the events for our Select membership level. No separate invitations were issued for any of these events. The Celebrity Today also listed the various Captain's Clubs events for each membership level on the day they took place. To gain entrance to an event, you had to show your seapass card that indicated your membership level.
So, I don't think you will get a separate invitation for an elegant tea. It will be listed as an event on the letter you receive in your cabin for either your Captain's Club membership level or cabin category.
Les

Old February 4th, 2008, 11:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Our 1st cruise on X was a 2 wk repo from Alaska and we were in a CS. There were a 'boatload' of invites when we walked into our suite. We attended everything (and were vastly amused at some snafus). At some point (can't remember if it was the 1st or 2nd week) we received an invite to the Elegant Tea which was to be held in the specialty rest. We dressed appropriately and arrived at the requested time. Everything was beautiful, desert carts, harpist, several senior officers, and a bunch of wait staff. They were expecting ~60 people and we were the ONLY ones who showed. Honestly, it was a hoot! Everyone sat, or stood around our table laughing and talking. They practically FORCED us to eat, and I returned the favor by nagging at them to eat, "It will be insulting if you do don't join us!". It was our 2nd inside joke with the crew on that cruise (because of another special invite), and made for a lot of laughter and winking over those two weeks.

You'll be happy to know there IS a point to telling you this story (other than the fact that the memory makes me laugh!). While trying to pretend I was eating the pile of food on my plate, I asked who gets the "special invites". I was told suite pax, elite members, and cc pax CAN be invited, but, not all are, and those that are invited are not necessarily invited to all events/activities. I guess it's mostly about being in some sort of category which rates the invites and luck of the draw.

Let me say, IF you're invited to something, PLEASE GO! Believe me, you'll thank me for this advice. I realize there are lots of cruisers who've grown weary of the Special Invites, but my limited experience says GO GO GO! You'll have a great time!

Happy cruising!

Denise

Old February 5th, 2008, 06:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default ConciergeClass Elegant Tea Invitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirley and Les View Post
I just went back and checked all of the Celebrity Today issues and other info from our 1/20/08 seven night Millie cruise. There was only one elegant tea in the dining room. It was for anyone on the cruise. It was listed in the Celebrity Today.
When we arrived in our cabin, there was a welcome aboard letter from the Captain's Club representative. It also listed all of the events for our Select membership level. No separate invitations were issued for any of these events. The Celebrity Today also listed the various Captain's Clubs events for each membership level on the day they took place. To gain entrance to an event, you had to show your seapass card that indicated your membership level.
So, I don't think you will get a separate invitation for an elegant tea. It will be listed as an event on the letter you receive in your cabin for either your Captain's Club membership level or cabin category.
Les
Hi Les,

This answer is on the house. On Connie last March we stayed in the same CC Class cabin and got a nice invitation on our door the day of the Elegant Tea and it read:

ConciergeClass Elegant Tea Invitation
You are cordially invited to the VIP Elegant Tea
Date:…
Venue: …
Time:…

Informal Dress Code: Jacket required.
Please Present Invitation

=X=

I just happen to recall I had a picture of my DW holding it, enclosed below. It was a very nice event and I would say around 75-100 attended and most dressed formal (Tux). We sat with fellow pax from the UK that taught us uninformed yanks the proper educate for the event. We were not so lucky to get a invite on Millie.

Joel
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tea Invite.jpg (13.9 KB, 10 views)

Next Up:

=X=Century 10/2001, =X=Mercury 10/2002, Carnival Sensation 01/2003, HAL Zaandam 10/2003, =X=Infinity 04/2004, =X=Summit 10/2004, HAL Zuiderdam 10/2005, HAL Westerdam 10/2006, =X=Constellation 03/2007, <+> Azamara Quest 10/2007, =X=Millennium 01/2008, =X=Century 03/2008, =X=Century 02/2009, =X=Century TA 11/2009, =X=Solstice 10/2010, =X=Solstice TA 11/2011, =X= Millennium 04/2012, =X=Constellation 1/2014

Old February 5th, 2008, 07:11 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lois R View Post

Jade, I am being sincere with my next comment so please take
it with the spirit it is intended.
I know you had problems with land customer service and are
disappointed with a few things already. I just hope you go and try to
have a good cruise
I also realize it is human nature to do comparisons. I did it
when I sailed HAL too.
But I really hope you and your family have a good time.
I am sure we will have a great time. We have never had a bad cruise.

Old February 5th, 2008, 12:41 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We've been invited on our Celebrity cruises but never attended. We enjoy afternoon teas but not enough to dress up to attend. My guess is we have plenty of company who skip due to the dress code.

Cruising since 1968

Old February 5th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepWaterMariner View Post
We've been invited on our Celebrity cruises but never attended. We enjoy afternoon teas but not enough to dress up to attend. My guess is we have plenty of company who skip due to the dress code.
Hi DeepWaterMariner

We feel the same way, especially since I think that serving "tea bag" tea at "elegant" tea is comparable to serving instant coffee at an upscale restaurant. If they served real tea, I might be inspired to dress for it. At home, we have a collection of loose brewing tea and we brew a pot of real tea every morning.

On the hand, we have gone to afternoon tea on our Holland America Cruise which does not have a dress code. Holland America does their afternoon tea a little differently every day, and each one was very good.

Old February 5th, 2008, 03:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just got off the Century yesterday - a 4-day cruise, and we were invited to elegant tea in the dining room one afternoon. Because we were in a suite and elite I have no idea if we were invited for one or both reasons but they do offer it on the shorter cruises. It was on our one day at sea.
Fantasy, Ecstasy, Fascination, Elation, Triumph, Glory, Meridian, Century, Millennium, Zenith, Mercury, Norwegian Majesty, Star Princess, Regal Princess, Grand Princess, Golden Princess, Caribbean Princess, Crown Princess, Ruby Princess, Emerald Princess, Sapphire Princess, Song of America, Monarch of the Seas, Legend of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas, Grandeur of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas, Independence of the Seas, Eurodam, Westerdam, Nieuw Amsterdam

Old February 5th, 2008, 03:50 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Sweet View Post
Hi DeepWaterMariner

We feel the same way, especially since I think that serving "tea bag" tea at "elegant" tea is comparable to serving instant coffee at an upscale restaurant. If they served real tea, I might be inspired to dress for it. At home, we have a collection of loose brewing tea and we brew a pot of real tea every morning.

On the hand, we have gone to afternoon tea on our Holland America Cruise which does not have a dress code. Holland America does their afternoon tea a little differently every day, and each one was very good.
Princess does an excellent job with tea time also. It's held every day in the dinning room, anyone can attend, and no dress code. If tea time is only done once a cruise then maybe you can get people to dress up. Tea was an essential part of the daily schedule on my one Seabourn cruise and it was also come as you are.

Cruising since 1968

Old February 5th, 2008, 04:16 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Sweet View Post
Hi DeepWaterMariner

Did you get to the Dutch Tea? What about the Indonesian tea? They do not always do that but I loved seeing everyone in full Indonesian Dress.

As other have stated above, these teas are never really well attended. That is why I was surprised to find out they would (may?) require an invitation.