Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Orient Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old July 31st, 2008, 01:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Having looked through the ships for sale listings, I think Maxim Gorkiy is a good one, especially as she is class 1A Baltic ice...however she and others are on the market and all could fit the position well...

Costa Marina

Paloma

Maxim Gorkiy

New Flamenco

Dalmajia

Last edited by Goldryder; July 31st, 2008 at 01:57 PM.

Old July 31st, 2008, 02:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Incidently Doug, I think VoD could be looking for a replacement to Discovery. She has been running with an engine down since March this year, she lost another one about 3 weeks ago and they cancelled a cruise to get that put right. She left on her current cruise on the 25th July and has already dropped one port and cut short others again...just as she was doing before her 13th July cruise cancellation.

Discovery is in a mechanical mess and VoD don't seem to want to repair her for some reason. Not sure if she is 2010 compliant, but if not, my guess is that she is being run down ready for beaching/breaking.

Old July 31st, 2008, 03:07 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Ally - As far as I know, MAXIM GORKIY does not have an ice-strengthened hull. (That doesn't mean she's not a good candidate, though.)

COSTA MARINA, again a good choice.

I would not be particularly happy with NEW FLAMENCO but she might be a possibility.

DALMACIJA and ROYALE STAR (ex PALOMA etc.) are too small and slow so entirely out of the question IMO.

As for DISCOVERY, I do not think Voyages of Discovery has any intention of replacing her. I do not know the technical details of her engine problems but I am sure everything possible is being done to repair her as soon as possible. These situations are often far more complicated than they appear from a passenger's standpoint - for example, it is possible that the necessary parts to properly repair her need to be specially made.

Old July 31st, 2008, 03:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Discovery has a blown crankshaft bearing & seal that went when she was in the Amazon earlier this year. She has been running at reduced speed and missing ports ever since...and upsetting guests no end in the process.

Gorkiy does have a Baltic ice class 1A snout, Doug....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Categor...ss_1A?powerset

She would be absolutely perfect for Orient as she is as close to MP you can get, without having MP

Type: Combined ocean liner / cruise ship
Tonnage: 25022 gross register tons (GRT)
Displacement: 5,677 metric tons of deadweight (DWT)
Length: 194.72 m (638 ft 10 in)
Beam: 26.57 m (87 ft 2 in)
Draught: 8.27 m (27 ft 2 in)
Depth: 16.40 m (53 ft 10 in)
Ice class: 1 A
Installed power: 2 × AEG steam turbines
combined 16668 kW
Propulsion: Twin propellers
Speed: 22 kn (40.74 km/h)
Capacity: 790 in planned liner service
652 in cruise service

Old July 31st, 2008, 07:19 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I don't dispute that DISCOVERY has had problems for some time now, I am just saying that that doesn't mean Voyages of Discovery is choosing not to fix her. It is possible (and in my view, probable) that it simply can't yet, due to un-availability of parts or some other issue.

As for MAXIM GORKIY, Wikipedia is about the last place I would look for information on cruise ships - some of the errors I have seen in there (not this one) are real howlers. (I'm not an anti-Wikipedia zealot; I use it for some things, but for ships it is really, really awful.) At any rate, the Wikipedia article on MAXIM GORKIY article cites this page from the owner's web site as saying that she is has ice class 1A, which it doesn't. (With Wikipedia it is always very important to look at the citations.) The person who added that to the article apparently doesn't - as most laypeople wouldn't - understand the difference between types of class notation. What the page says is "Notation: + 1A1, PASSENGER SHIP", which is perfectly true, and has nothing to do with ice class. An even more reliable source, her listing Det Norske Veritas Register of Ships, says exactly the same thing: "Class Notation: 1A1 Passenger Ship". All this means is: () Vessel built under the supervision of another recognized classification society and later assigned class in Det Norske Veritas. (1A1) Vessel for which periodical surveys are stipulated in relation to special (main) periodical survey intervals of 5 years. (See here for DNV class notation definitions.) If she had ice class 1A her listing would show " 1A1 ICE-1A Passenger Ship". For comparison, here is MARCO POLO's DNV listing, which clearly shows "Class Notation: 1A1 ICE-1C Passenger Ship", indicating her ice class 1C.

I realize that is probably way more than you wanted to know, but the bottom line is, Wikipedia is in error.

Old August 1st, 2008, 09:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Guys

Few thing's i wanna correct here, not that im expert but worked at the deck department since 1983 and the fack is that Maxim gorky is build for artic waters in Finland and she is carrying ice class 1A what is one down from 1A super what is same ice class what Ice brakers have now days.

Working in Marco Polo i know that MP did NOT and still do not have ice class, she has as mentioned here Class 1C hull what is ice strengtened hull (means thicker) and NO actuall ICE class.

Some what big different but ship is still safer on ice than any costa ship, and that is what NEW orient is looking for, ship with ICE class, history and carisma.

Unfortnunently there is not so many ship on thse days available on this particular catecory.

but lets wait and see what they are up to in NEW Orient Line.

Old August 1st, 2008, 03:33 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I'm sorry but you must be confusing MAXIM GORKIY with a different ship... She was built in Hamburg for Atlantic crossings between Hamburg and New York and seasonal cruises, not in Finland for Arctic waters.

As for MARCO POLO, of course she has an ice-strengthened hull, she is not in the same class as an icebreaker. Sorry if I did not make that clear.

Old August 2nd, 2008, 06:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

According to the Sovcomflot site...

http://www.sovcomflot.ru/pages.aspx?...2&templ=vessel

Quote:
Shipyard: Deutsche Werft, Germany
Built Date: January 1969
Delivery Date: 1 January 1969
Flag: BAHAMAS
Tech. class: Det Norske Veritas
Notation: + 1A1, PASSENGER SHIP
Hull number: xxxx

Old August 2nd, 2008, 08:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnewmanatsea View Post
I'm sorry but you must be confusing MAXIM GORKIY with a different ship... She was built in Hamburg for Atlantic crossings between Hamburg and New York and seasonal cruises, not in Finland for Arctic waters.

As for MARCO POLO, of course she has an ice-strengthened hull, she is not in the same class as an icebreaker. Sorry if I did not make that clear.
Doug

You are correct I was on wrong ship, MG is as you said and Goldryder confirms on his\her link from Hamburg....My apology,, i was looking other ship same time when writing what i heard Orient has been looking,, but let them confirm or not for that....

but lets wait and see what Orient will bring for us,,, that would be intresting,, but one thing i can say
as per they media statement, they promiced come up with in weeks from that press relice with announcement what will be they new flag ship, and so far they have not come up with anything so as from Crew perspective,, we are wondering are they serious or what is taking so long or has the money become an issue...

Ex orient crew are waiting but cant get any answer from them.....
One thing is that IF they are waiting too long guys and girls are getting other jobs and then agai they are not available for an other year...

Old August 3rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default To Richard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard in Panama View Post
There is a growing "mature" (but not "old"), educated, articulate, somewhat affluent, well-traveled market out there that is thirsty to expand their horizons, knowledge and experience. They are turned off by mass market ships that "nickle and dime" passengers, by "art auctions",spas pushing product, banquet food, and teenagers dressed in sequins and feathers with canned music. Regards, Richard
Have we met? The only thing you left out is my hair colour.

Ruby

Old August 3rd, 2008, 06:43 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoicemp View Post
You are correct I was on wrong ship, MG is as you said and Goldryder confirms on his\her link from Hamburg....My apology,, i was looking other ship same time when writing what i heard Orient has been looking,, but let them confirm or not for that....
No problem.

I can't think of any ice class ships of the appropriate size that are for sale, but of course "any ship is for sale at the right price".

Quote:
Originally Posted by insidevoicemp View Post
Ex orient crew are waiting but cant get any answer from them.....
One thing is that IF they are waiting too long guys and girls are getting other jobs and then agai they are not available for an other year...
Well, I hope something happens soon as it would be a real pity for Orient Lines to come back without many of its former crew.