BEWARE !!!!! Clipper Odyssey

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 03:09 PM.
#1
florida, usa
527 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
We were on the Odyssey, and were in quite rough seas. As the ship was rollling, my husband grabbed the doorway to keep from falling.. & the door slammmed on his finger (THE DOOR HAD NO PERMANENT STOP!!!) Long story short......3 days in a Hong Kong hospital....surgery, 35 stitches in his thumb &
a pin to hold the fractured bone.Will not talk about the $$$ but the discomfort & inconvenience to myself & my wife is absolutely terrible.
I had gotten letters from the home office, saying how sorry they felt !!???
Quite disappointed, to say the least, and have cancelled a cruise with them that we had booked on board. We have been told by a number of people to sue them, but that is out of the question...It would be nice if they had requested if there was anything that they could do to make us feel better............
At the end of the 6th week after the accident, I am hoping to be able to have the pin removed, and become a normal person. The opposing thumb does make one helluva difference
#2
Southern California
35,749 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
I am sorry to hear of your injury. I hope you make a full recovery.

However, I am not clear on the point you are trying to make. Were you expecting the door to stay open when someone grab it in rough seas?
#3
florida, usa
527 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
all doors on ships (as do Silversea,&Regent) should have permanent stops.When one is being slammed around by rough seas..it is logical to grab the nearest firm fixture.
#5
Southern California
35,749 Posts
Joined Oct 2005
Am I to understand that you mean the door should lock in the open position?

If that is what you mean, then I am telling you that I don't know of any cruise ships that have doors that lock open in the open position. I have been on six cruises on four different lines plus I have been on seven ship tours on four different lines (giving me exposure to ten ships on seven different lines) and I have yet to see a door that locks in the open position.
#6
19,297 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
Originally posted by Chelonia
We were on the Odyssey, and were in quite rough seas. As the ship was rollling, my husband grabbed the doorway to keep from falling.. & the door slammmed on his finger (THE DOOR HAD NO PERMANENT STOP!!!) Long story short......3 days in a Hong Kong hospital....surgery, 35 stitches in his thumb &
a pin to hold the fractured bone.Will not talk about the $$$ but the discomfort & inconvenience to myself & my wife is absolutely terrible.
I had gotten letters from the home office, saying how sorry they felt !!???
Quite disappointed, to say the least, and have cancelled a cruise with them that we had booked on board. We have been told by a number of people to sue them, but that is out of the question...It would be nice if they had requested if there was anything that they could do to make us feel better............
At the end of the 6th week after the accident, I am hoping to be able to have the pin removed, and become a normal person. The opposing thumb does make one helluva difference
sorry this happened to you. Btw, did you have trip insurance to cover the sugery?
#7
florida, usa
527 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
we had insurance...but had to lay out l$17,000 which we were told could take
anywhere up to 9 months to collect.
As far as the person who said they hadn't known of any cruise lines that have door stops....I repeat...SILVERSEA & REGENT have them, and we've been on a total of over 100 cruises since 1956 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#8
6 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by Chelonia
As far as the person who said they hadn't known of any cruise lines that have door stops....I've been on a total of over 100 cruises since 1956 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Over 100 cruises and 1956 !!!!?? Man you are older than dirt
#9
florida, usa
527 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Originally posted by Cambur
Over 100 cruises and 1956 !!!!?? Man you are older than dirt
MUCH OLDER , AND STILL KICKING, AND HAVING A BALL !!!!
#11
The Netherlands
995 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Sorry to hear your story, but it's a good decision not to sue them.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
22 Cruises completed and still counting Totally addicted to cruising Love to explore the world...
#12
Shatnerstan
25,064 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Originally posted by Cuizer2
Am I to understand that you mean the door should lock in the open position?

If that is what you mean, then I am telling you that I don't know of any cruise ships that have doors that lock open in the open position. I have been on six cruises on four different lines plus I have been on seven ship tours on four different lines (giving me exposure to ten ships on seven different lines) and I have yet to see a door that locks in the open position.
Doors locking open are a fire hazard. (well technically not a hazard but they would aid in the spreading of fire).
#13
florida, usa
527 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
Doors that lock open BETWEEN ROOMS within a suite, would NOT spread a
fire. The outside door would only stay open with a wedge when the passengers are within the suite !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
#14
274 Posts
Joined Mar 2005
Hope you are feeling better. I can't figure out which of you is writing the letter but I will just give my sympathy to you both. If it makes you feel any better, I was talking to a physician on the Celebrity ships and he said "hand in door" injuries are the most common on board their ships.
#15
In the NCL fleet NOW
51 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
Originally posted by Chelonia
all doors on ships (as do Silversea,&Regent) should have permanent stops.When one is being slammed around by rough seas..it is logical to grab the nearest firm fixture.
As i have been working at the cruise ship business last 24yr,,, doors in the ship
are NOT considered as A permanent fixtures.

and just to have point,, it's A ship,, it will move according to waves and wind so every one should take note on that and holding I.e. hand rails as those are Permanent fixtures.

Unfortunately most of the times when our guests are falling during bad weather ship is getting the blame, but try to remember,, it's a moving object and it wont give warnings when it is moving,,

take advice and move more carefully when you are onboard the ship and specially when the winds start to picking up, that one you will noticed.