Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
NEW! Find Your CELEBRITY Roll Call

Old September 1st, 2009, 09:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Post Dinner at Captains table.

My husband and I are counting down the days until our Oct 31 Summit Cruise. Want to know how does someone get invited to the captains table for dinner.

Old September 1st, 2009, 10:08 PM
5,000+ Club

You can't really 'get' yourself invited. No one knows for sure how they choose invitees, but often they're in the top suites, or are high-level members of Captain's Club, or it could be a very special occasion (like a 50th anniversary). We were invited once on Summit and have absolutely no idea why as we were none of the above ... but it was a wonderful treat!

NEXT UP: Alaska! Summer 2014
PAST: Closing in on 20 cruises on Royal Caribbean & Celebrity

Old September 1st, 2009, 10:22 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Keep in mind that you probably won't be eating with Captain if you do get invited. We dined at the table twice, once with the Staff Captain and once with the Asst. Hotel Manager and his fiance.

Both were great experiences - how they choose is sort of up to them.

Old September 1st, 2009, 10:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Who knows?

The Captain's Club Hostess/Host issues the invitations to the Captain's Table. On our last X cruise (Constellation) the CC Hostess (Rosalba)invited us--I have no idea why, but it was great. We were sailing in a category 6 outside cabin--everyone else at the table was in a suite or had many. many cruises on Celebrity. We ate with the staff captain. Everyone met in one of the lounges where drinks were provided. When we went to the MDT we were instructed to leave the drinks on the table. A waiter brought them to the table (refilled to the brim). Wine was also provided with dinner. It was my DW's favorite experience in all of our cruises.

By the way, Rosalba is a great CC Hostess. I'm not sure which ship she is on, but she does a great job. She knew everyone who had been invited to the Captain's Table by name and ontroduced each of us to the others.

Celebrity Captain's Club Elite

Golden Princess, California Coastal--Thanksgiving, 11/2013
Amsterdam, Alaska, 7/2013 * Inspiration, Baja Mexico, 5/2013 * Zaandam, 12/2012 * Mexican Riviera, 12/2013 * Infinity, Alaska, 6/2012 * Oosterdam, Mexican Riviera, 1/2012
Westerdam, Alaska 6/2011 * Millennium, Alaska b2b 5/2010 * Carnival Elation, Mexican Riviera, 1/2010 * Statendam, Alaska, 6/2009 * Ryndam, Alaska, 6/2009
Constellation, Caribbean, 1/2009 * Veendam, Alaska b2b, 6/2008 * Oosterdam, Mexican Riviera, 11/2007 * Mercury, Mexican Riviera, 1/2007
Mercury, Pacific Northwest, 9/2006 * Infinity, Ultimate Alaska, 5/2005 * Summit, Alaska Southbound, 9/2003 * Mercury, Alaska Inside Passage, 9/2000

Old September 2nd, 2009, 01:05 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

There is one thing you can be sure of - one does not ask to be invited to dine at the Captain's table; to do so is considered the height of bad manners and taste. The best you can hope for is that the invitation fairy decides that you would make a pleasant and interesting couple for the Captain and his other guests

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 2nd, 2009, 04:37 AM
50,000+ Club

The reality is that there are some who do ask to sit at the captain's table on most cruise lines/ships. If you want to, you can mention it to the hostess. This won't guarantee that it will happen and the odds will be low but people do this. Many would never mention that they ask but it happens often.

With that said typically folks are selected for different reasons. This could include the type of room they have booked, the number of cruises they have sailed on with both Celebrity and Royal Caribbean, a special event such as anniversary, etc.

Keith

Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:50 AM
5,000+ Club

Depending on what Captain you're sailing with, sometimes the Captain actually requests who he liked to dine at his table. But usually it is the Captain's Club Hostess that handles this task.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cool captains table

fUN BUT VERY FORMAL AND MOST OF THE GUESTS ARE WELL-OFF MONETARILY SPEAKING.
SINCE WE HAVE DONE SECURITY FOR THE LINE HAVE EATEN SEVERAL TIMES WITH THE CAPTAIN.

WRITE A LETTTER REQUESTING IT AND SEE IF THEY WILL ASSIST

Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

It used to be the CC Hostess who was in charge of the invitations at the Captain's Tables, but during our last two cruises in July/August it was handled by the Hotel Administration, but I don't know if it's going to stay that way. And of course, the Captain himself (or Hotel Director, Staff Captain, etc...) can invite someone to their table.
Asking to be invited at the Captain's Table is not done, IMO. Although I'm not saying the OP is planning to, since this is not clear in the post.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 12:59 PM
10,000+ Club

Show some cleavage during the meet the captain reception.

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Would being on your Honeymoon qualify?

I'm marrying this Saturday, the 5th, and I am on the Solstice Sailing on the 7th (Monday). My (soon to be) wife has never been out of the country hardly and she's never taken a cruise (heck, she can't even swim). To be at the Captain's Table one night would be the cat's pajamas for her.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Can't hurt to ask !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ommadawn View Post

I'm marrying this Saturday, the 5th, and I am on the Solstice Sailing on the 7th (Monday). My (soon to be) wife has never been out of the country hardly and she's never taken a cruise (heck, she can't even swim). To be at the Captain's Table one night would be the cat's pajamas for her.
Why don't you contact Customer Service and talk to them about it --- did
you purchase any special gifts for your bride as a surprize - for ex. flowers or
chocolate covered strawberries ??? some champagne, perhaps --- again,
give the cruise line a call or talk to your travel agent if you booked that way. Time is of the essence -- so please, don't dawdle.

Best wishes on your upcoming marriage --- live long and proper !

Costa Atlantica Jan, 2002 Caribbean
Dawn Princess - Jan, 2003 Caribbean
Celebrity Summit - Jan, 2007 Panama Canal - full transit
RCCL Mariner of the Seas - Jan, 2009 Around the Horn B2B
Holland America Westerdam - Oct. 2012 - Hawaii and South Pacific
Holland America Westerdam - Jan. 2015 - B2B - Caribbean

Blue skies and calm seas await !!

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ommadawn View Post

Ommadawn, congrats on the upcoming nuptials!
I'd suggest that you introduce yourselves to the CC Host/Hostess onboard, and tell them that you just got married & it's your bride's first cruise ever. Who knows? The captain's table fairy might whack you!

Last edited by usha; September 2nd, 2009 at 02:31 PM.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:35 PM
5,000+ Club

We have cruised Celebrity 14 times and have been invited to dine at the Captain's table 7 of those cruises. We were invited our very first cruise and usually book an inside cabin.
I think our success has to do with three things:
--We always book a table for two in the dining room.
--My wife and I are a very happy couple and it shows.
--My wife is tall, blond and cute. (most important factor I think?) Can you see why usha always gets an invite!!!

I didn't notice any Captain's table events on our last Solstice cruise. Not sure they are doing this on this new class of ship. Seems to be a big deal on the Millennium class of ships.

Celebrity -- Horizon (‘93), Galaxy (‘97), Zenith (‘98), Constellation (‘02), Century (‘02), Millennium (‘03), Summit (‘04), Mercury (‘05), Galaxy (‘05), Century (‘06), Millennium (‘06) , Constellation (‘08), Constellation (‘08), Solstice (‘09), Solstice (‘10), Eclipse (‘11), Summit (‘11), Millennium (‘11), Silhouette ('12), Silhouette ('12), Silhouette ('13), Infinity ('13), Infinity ('13), Century ('13), and Century ('14)
Holland America -- Veendam (‘03), Volendam (‘04), Zuiderdam (‘05), Westerdam (‘06), Maasdam (‘07), Maasdam (‘07), Westerdam (‘08), Maasdam (‘09), and the Nieuw Amsterdam (‘11)
Royal Caribbean -- Rhapsody of the Seas (‘01), Voyager of the Seas (‘02), Splendor of the Seas (‘02), Grandeur of the Seas (‘04), Vision of the Seas (‘04), Radiance of the Seas (‘09) and the Allure of the Seas ('12)
NCL -- Starward (‘78), Norwegian Dream (‘95), and the Norweigan Sea (‘01)
Princess -- Star Princess (‘03), Caribbean Princess (‘05), and the Golden Princess ('13)
Azamara -- Journey (‘07) Oceania -- Regatta (‘09) Cunard -- Queen Mary 2 (‘10), and Queen Mary 2 ('13)
Sitmar -- Fairsea (‘82)

(428 days total)

--------------------------------
Future Cruises: Royal Caribbean Navigator of the Seas (11/2014), Celebrity Eclipse (12/2014), NCL Jewel (03/2015), Celebrity Reflection (6/2015), Royal Caribbean Anthem of the Seas (6/2015), Celebrity Equinox (12/2015), and Celebrity Silhouette (3/2016).

Last edited by kelmac; September 2nd, 2009 at 02:36 PM.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:36 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We were invited twice on different cruises and really enjoyed the experiences. We had become friendly with the Captains Club hostess and furture cruise sales person. We were totally surprised and delighted when we got the invitiations. We usually just book an outside cabin.

They are looking for friendly and out going people - I guess we qualify!

Laissez les bons temps rouler Let the good times roll!

Song Of Norway, Tropicale, Costa's Daphne, Regent Sun, Seabreeze, Regent Sun, Horizon, Crown Princess, Regal Princess, Statendam, Monarch Of The Seas, Carnival Spirit, Infinity, Mercury, Mercury, Mercury , Carnival Spirit, Serenade of the Seas, Carnival Spirit B2B, Mercury, Mercury, Carnival Elation, Zaandam, Radiance of the Seas, Carnival Spirit B2B, Carnival Spirit, Celebrity Century, Zuiderdam, Celebrity Century, Celebrity Century , Carnival Conquest B2B, Celebrity Eclipse April 5th 2014 Southern Caribbean, Legend of the Seas November 3rd, 2014 Quebec to Ft Lauderdale, Celebrity Equinox April 17th Southern Caribbean , October 2015 B2B Carnival Dream from New Orleans; March 26, & April 2nd 2016 B2B Celebrity Reflection
cool:

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were invited once to a private reception followed by dinner with the captain many years ago. It was a terrific experience. We became friendly with the captain and he invited us to the bridge for the sail out of the Panama Canal at night. We asked the captain why we were invited to dinner, he said,"sometimes I have to eat with who the company tells me to eat with and sometimes I have room to invite people that I choose". The other people invited that night included a couple with another longer cruise scheduled on the same ship the following month, 2 couples whose luggage never made the ship and a group of 3 single girls.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Very Easy

Anyone can dine with the Captain and yes honeymoons do qualify. All you need to do is do what you every day in life - ask.

Old September 2nd, 2009, 03:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

We were invited to the Captain's Table on our April 2009 cruise on Solstice by the Captain's Club Hostess - Daniella. We have cruised on Celebrity many times. We went to the Captain's Club Hostess to inquire about booking a future cruise and she invited us. This was one of the most memorable things that we have ever done on a cruise! We met in a reserved area of one of the bars by Daniella, the Captain joined us and we had appetizers and drinks before dinner. Then we were led into the main dining room after everyone else was seated, they took a group photo, then served us our meals along with a different type of wine with each course! We were also invited to tour the bridge the next day, which was just as fabulous! What a great experience!!
Celebrity - Summit - March 2008
Celebrity - Solstice - April 2009
Celebrity - Summit - March 2010
Celebrity - Solstice - April 2011
Celebrity - Summit - April 2012
Celebrity - Reflection - April 2013
Celebrity - Sillouhette -March 2014

Old September 2nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't think it will be bad to inquire about the possibility. As for you gets asked--who knows. We have been invited three times and the guests have all been varied, including couples that were cruising the first time with X. I would venture to say all of the invitees had some sort of interaction with officers or the CC host/hostess that made them feel they would be good dinner companions.

X Reflection 3/13 and 7/13
X Silhouette 10/11 and 5/12
X Eclipse 11/10
X Constellation 10/10 and 5/14
Majesty of the Seas 6/10
X Infinity 2/10 (28 days at sea)
Oasis of the Seas 11/09
X Equinox 11/09
Jewel of the Seas11/09
X Solstice Inaugural, 11/08 and 5/09
NCL Sky 8/08 and 8/09
X Galaxy 3/08 and 8/90
X Millennium 1/08, 11/11 and 1/14
X Century 3/07, 1/09, 2/09, 1/10 and 10/10
Carnival Inspiration 10/02
Small Ship –Europe, summer 1972

Old September 2nd, 2009, 11:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Red face 3 Times For Us Also

Ok hear is the scoop for us. 1st time on the Constellation N. Europe with our movie star gorgeous daughter 22 at the time. We were in an aft family cabin. ( We are not that good looking) 2nd time on the Mercury just my husband and I in an inside cabin, go figure. However my husband had spoken with the Captain's club hostess the night before. I guess he was charming. 3rd time this July with our daughter and new husband. This time she had asked the Captain's club hostess a question. I guess that charm runs in the family. We were both booked in outside cabins. She is 28 by this time.