Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:47 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cawagner View Post
It would be me, hubby and our 2 kids age 13 and 18 So I am thinking it will doable.

On our first cruise with just me and hubby we barely spent time in our cabin...only to sleep (just wont be any of that this trip LOL!)
We have done inside 3 times with our teen kids. Boys shower and get ready for dinner in the Gym locker room (they like the big showers better there anyway). Once was on Disney and the cabin was huge. The next time it was on Carnival and we didn't realize they could make a cabin that small but we made do. Then on the NCL Sun we had a extra large inside which was amazing. Wish all the ships had large insides like this.

I would not do it with anybody other than family but you will be fine.

The best was when after numerous cruises I surprised the kids with our first balcony cabin. My daughter said "there must be a mistake, our cabin can't be on this side of the ship" and I opened the door.

Lots of people on these boards seem to have suites or book an extra cabin for the kids. Not all of us can afford this. Live within your means and enjoy your vacation!

HAL Ryndam 1998
Disney Wonder 2003
CC Victory 2005
NCL Sun 2006
NCL Dawn 2007
Costa Mediterranea 2008
MSC Orchestra Feb 28th/2009 or is it no it's
Rhapsody of the Seas- Australia Dec. 1st 2009
MSC Poesia Feb 27/2011
NCL Star Mar 4/2012
Jewel of the Seas Oct 28/2012 25th Anniversary- Saying " I do " all over again
MSC Poesia Mar 2/2013 First time back on the same ship
Celebrity Summit Mar 1/2014 First time leaving from San Juan
Celebrity Summit Feb 28/2015
Celebrity Constellation Feb 29/2016

Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:16 PM
Cool Cruiser

Memories, memories ...... We are diamond cruisers now, and always reserve a balcony, but back when our kids were in college and we were new to cruising, we did 4 of us in an inside cabin on the Majesty. Regardless of what anyone says, it is do-able and will make for wonderful memories and conversation!

Our kids were boy and a girl - boy was a football player and not a small person - our daughter is of average size. Fortunately they were both "jocks" and having the family run around in underwear was not a problem - they had been raised in YMCA Locker rooms.
The kids had the pullman beds and we had the two bunks underneath them - not romantic, but it was a family trip, and all we could afford.

We had a wonderful vacation - introduced the kids to cruising - they both cruised for their honeymoons several years later.

It takes planning, the ability to get a quick shower at the workout facilities or pool, and scheduling and knowing how long it takes you to get ready. I might add that we dressed each night for dinner in the main dining room and we were never late. The kids still laugh about it - when the kids saw the size of that inside cabin when we arrived their faces were priceless!

Of course it is not perfect and we missed the space/bathroom, etc., but we still had a great cruise and lots of great memories.

Incidentally, we are not campers, still prefer resort-type vacations, and still often take trips together, and now include grandchildren who are infants and toddlers.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:18 PM
20,000+ Club

The last time we shared a cabin with our kids we swore we would not cruise again with them if it meant sharing...and we were in a balcony cabin, not an inside.

Sure you can spend plenty of time out of the cabin, but trying to live comfortably in that small space during the time you are all together is a challenge. No way can I sleep with that many people snoring, farting, up in the middle of the night several times to pee. Then there is the never ending clutter. It turns what could be a nice vacation into a test of tolerance, patience and frustration.

We'll be treating them this Christmas, probably our last family vacation and they have a cabin next door, no way will we share again. It's just not worth it to us, our vacation time and $ spent is too precious to be annoyed or angry with each other the whole time.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

If the cabin size is similar to those on Carnival, then it's really not that big a deal. We recently sailed Princess with the smallest inside on the ocean and survived. The troubling part was once the bunks were down, it was really tight. The kids spent a lot of time in the kids program or on deck with me. Outside of the penthouse suite there isn't a cabin big enough for me to hang out all day with 2 kids. We also go camping in a travel trail, our favorite family's time, so being close in small quarters is a part of our life style. When we want a vacation that is about abundance of space, we book a resort. As often as we vacation I couldn't afford the upgrades on cabins and staying home is not an option. Go knowing it will be tight but define your vacation not by the space but the time spent and memories created.

The shower in the cabin was so small that I finally decided to soap the walls, spung around several times, played footsy with the soap after it fell to get it back, got dizzy before it was all over. I bet you no one can match that shower memory Your vacation is what you make it and DH is still asking where was he when all this was happening :-)!

Last edited by kooljamming; October 22nd, 2009 at 08:33 PM.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 08:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepsicruiser View Post
I don't know if this has been mentioned but if it was me I'd get a room close to a public bathroom. 4 in a room can get testy with 1 toilet. And don't forget the area usually has showers that would help if you took turns showering in there and then returning to room to finish up.

I just reread my post and meant to say "the GYM area usually has showers so you can take turns taking showers there"

Old October 22nd, 2009, 09:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well hubby and I talked about it and decided on 2 yes 2 inside cabins even found connecting cabins in our price range so...yeah!

Carnival Sensation ~ March 2011
Carnival Freedom ~ June 2010
RCC Monarch ~ 01/26/2009

Old October 22nd, 2009, 10:49 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Cool cruiser - I guess I really am a little late to add to this but wanted to say that we have mostly done inside cabins with four of us and have done Majesty (same as Monarch). We find there is plenty of room. Our family is three guys and me....so more tuxedos than dresses in our cabin. We do not find any problems at all with the size of the rooms. We hang all our clothes in the closet and put shoes in the closets too and arrange our four bags (one each) either in the closet on the night stands or on the couch or desk depending on the room configuration. We find the room stays very tidy this way. You do have to shower in shifts. I usually go first, that way I can use the desk to put on make up etc.

I also did Empress with two other adult women (so only three in the room) and it was a piece of cake as well. One in the bathroom, one at the vanity desk and one finishing getting dressed.

It's way easier to do the inside cabins with four than people here make it out.

Now that's not to say that two cabins isn't better, of course it is and when we feel we have extra money we have booked the two cabins adjoining, the extra space and extra bathroom are definitely handy but not necessary for a great vacation.

Enjoy your holiday!

10/85 NCL Southward
10/86 NCL Norway
10/88 Carnival Holiday
10/94 Carnival Fantasy
10/97 Carnival Fantasy
12/99 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas
12/01 RCCL Voyageur of the Seas
12/01 RCCL Majesty of the Seas
11/02 Carnival Legend
10/03 RCCL Serenade of the Seas
11/03 RCCL Serenade of the Seas
06/04 Carnival Victory
11/04 RCCL Navigator of the Seas
05/05 RCCL Voyager of the Seas
09/05 RCCL Empress of the Seas
11/05 RCCL Jewel of the Seas
05/06 RCCL Radiance of the Seas Hawaii
11/06 RCCL Explorer of the Seas Repo to Miami
05/07 Celebrity Galaxy TA
12/07 RCCL Legend of the Seas 15 Day TA
04/08 RCCL Voyager of the Seas 13 Day TA
10/08 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 11 Day Repo
05/09 RCCL Serenade of the Seas 14 Day Alaska
10/09 RCCL Monarch of the Seas 5 Day Caribbean
11/09 RCCL Independence of the Seas 13 Day TA
04/10 RCCL Jewel of the Seas 11 Day Panama
08/10 RCCL Liberty of the Seas 7 Day Western Carib
10/10 RCCL Oasis of the Seas 7 Day Eastern
09/11 Carnival Freedom 6 Day Western
12/11 RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 12 Day Carib
04/12 Celebrity Solstice Western 7 Day
08/12 RCCL Jewel of the Seas 16 Day TA
12/12 RCCL Explorer of the Seas 10 Day Caribbean
04/13 RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 9 Day Caribbean
09/13 RCCL Jewel of the Seas 7 Day S. Caribbean
09/13 RCCL Enchantment of the Seas 5 Day Bahamas
03/14 RCCL Rhasody of the Seas 11 Day Queensland
04/14 Celebrity Solstice 18 Day Australia to Hawaii

Old October 23rd, 2009, 01:02 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Well hubby and I talked about it and decided on 2 yes 2 inside cabins even found connecting cabins in our price range so...yeah!

You definitely will not regret your decision...very smart choice

Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy ks View Post
You definitely will not regret your decision...very smart choice
Yeah, the more we thought about it...it IS vacation and it is the kids' first cruise we would rather make them love it and not think OMG never again because they did see some pictures with the pullmans down http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1060263 (second picture) and the kids were I'm not sleeping on that!

Thanks everyone for the info!

RCC Monarch ~ 01/26/2009

Last edited by cawagner; October 23rd, 2009 at 09:46 AM.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 09:56 AM
20,000+ Club

Copied from another thread.

Is this the pic??? I seriously don't know how people can stand it Maybe if you've got 4 kids in there and they are having a great time, but adults with their adult sized kids?

I just remember always having someone wanting in the bathroom when I was in there, having to dress in the hall and being bashed by one of the doors opening. Not to mention, there was always someone opening the cabin door at the worst possible moment for me and having passersby peering in. Luckily we had a balcony, so I would go out there to put on makeup.

Last edited by Happy ks; October 23rd, 2009 at 09:57 AM.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Is this the pic??? I seriously don't know how people can stand it Maybe if you've got 4 kids in there and they are having a great time, but adults with their adult sized kids?

I just remember always having someone wanting in the bathroom when I was in there, having to dress in the hall and being bashed by one of the doors opening. Not to mention, there was always someone opening the cabin door at the worst possible moment for me and having passersby peering in. Luckily we had a balcony, so I would go out there to put on makeup.
Yeah, that would be one of the pics I showed them, they wanted no part of that LOL would rather NOT have a cruise filled with bickering in the cabin.

RCC Monarch ~ 01/26/2009

Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:14 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Those pics are enough to convince anybody. I guess it all depends on the ship and is not only about being an 'inside'. As I previously posted we have done 3 insides with kids and never had anything that small. I would not be able to survive a week like that. The OP made a good call.

HAL Ryndam 1998
Disney Wonder 2003
CC Victory 2005
NCL Sun 2006
NCL Dawn 2007
Costa Mediterranea 2008
MSC Orchestra Feb 28th/2009 or is it no it's
Rhapsody of the Seas- Australia Dec. 1st 2009
MSC Poesia Feb 27/2011
NCL Star Mar 4/2012
Jewel of the Seas Oct 28/2012 25th Anniversary- Saying " I do " all over again
MSC Poesia Mar 2/2013 First time back on the same ship
Celebrity Summit Mar 1/2014 First time leaving from San Juan
Celebrity Summit Feb 28/2015
Celebrity Constellation Feb 29/2016

Old October 23rd, 2009, 10:15 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
It would be me, hubby and our 2 kids age 13 and 18 So I am thinking it will doable.

On our first cruise with just me and hubby we barely spent time in our cabin...only to sleep (just wont be any of that this trip LOL!)
the reason you only spent time in your cabin was to sleep is because that's all the cabin would accommodate. If you had a nicer cabin you'd spend more time enjoying it. Now with two teens it would be unbearable, I wouldn't do it.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Old October 23rd, 2009, 11:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Can't remember the thinking process, but we (4 ladies) did this once..inside cabin. We had friends in adjoining cabin and that was our saving grace. We had a ball and I guess the reason was we treated it like summer camp or dorm for grown-ups. Obviously we spent little time in the room, however, we did manage to pull off some hilarious videos. It was a 7-day cruise and between the 4 of us, we had over 40 pairs of shoes in that tiny cabin. I think the extreme cramped quarters can either be a subject of jokes or it can turn the whole cruise sour. Luckily, we went the joke route. I don't know if that would work well with a 13yr-old and 18yr-old. My kids might have tossed me overboard during the week if it had been them.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:25 PM
5,000+ Club

Bring lots of oil!

Old October 23rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

Honest to God truth, that was about the size of the HOUSE I grew up in.
I guess many here couldn't even imagine but it's not that bad

God Bless America becaue only here many would think that is really that bad, since you are on a boat/ship!
Going to the bathroom at night doesn't mean going outside or holding it. I tell my kids when mama goes home it like a special camping trip, a lot of nature:-)

Last edited by kooljamming; October 23rd, 2009 at 12:36 PM.

Old October 23rd, 2009, 02:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default You all better get along with each other

I roomed with 2 other adult females on the Majesty of the Seas in August and it was tight. It's a good thing we only packed 1 carry-on luggage a piece. Closet space is minimal and the bathroom is VERY small. Climbing up the ladder to the bunk bed is no picnic. Good Luck!

Past Cruises:
Carnival Destiny - 5/21/2011
RC Oasis of the Seas - 4/24/2010
RC Majesty of The Seas - 8/21/2009
Carnival Miracle - 5/8/2009
RC Adventure of The Seas - 5/11/2008
Carnival Sensation - 5/21/2000

Last edited by dimepiece814; October 23rd, 2009 at 02:30 PM. Reason: typo

Old October 31st, 2009, 12:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

I've only done it on Carnival because their inside cabins are bigger than RCCL's cabins and it was tight there. We had 2 adults, 1 grown son and his 10 yr old son. I can't imagine doing it in a smaller cabin. That is why we often take Carnival when we need extra space. BTW, we were on a 12-night European cruise on the Carnival Freedom.

Old October 31st, 2009, 09:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

hubby just commented he and 3 of his shipmates could do it, no problem. Way more space than when he was stationed on a submarine ... on a sub, you essentially get a rack space 3 feet by 6 feet by 24 inches from teh top of the mattress to the bottom of the rack above ... and you have a tray under the mattress 6 inches deep and a locker 4 inches tall by 20 inches wide by 20 inches deep to stow stuff like your shaving kit [it is ventillated].

Explorer of the Seas 2-5-10 Sailed!!!