Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old January 18th, 2010, 02:10 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Members Speak Out: Should Cruise Ships Have Returned to Haiti?

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Members Speak Out: Should Cruise Ships Have Returned to Haiti?

Read the entire news article...

Old January 18th, 2010, 02:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes, the ships should go. There are a lot of people who depend on the ships for their living. As long as their visits do not interfere with the rescue efforts more ships should be encouraged to visit the other side of the island not effected by the earthquake.
Carnival Fascination 10/16/14, Carnival Legend 12/22/13, Carnival Breeze 06/22/13, Carnival Fascination 12/27/12, Caribbean Princess 4/8/12, Carnival Imagination 2/24/12, Caribbean Princess 4/24/11, Carnival Destiny 1/7/10, Carnival Glory 4/11/09, RCCL Monarch of the Seas 1/09, RCCL Grandeur of the Seas 1/08, Carnival Inspiration 6/07, Carnival Inspiration 2/07, Carnival Fascination 12/01, Carnival Fantasy 2/98, Carnival Fantasy 4/94

Old January 18th, 2010, 02:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Interesting article in todays Guardian here in the UK.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010...iti-earthquake

Adventure of the Seas - 29/08/14
Adventure of the Seas - 20/04/14
Brilliance of the Seas - 24/02/14
Splendour of the Seas - 19/10/13
Allure of the Seas - 12/05/13
Norwegian Breakaway - 28/04/13
Mariner of the Seas - 25/08/12
Liberty of the Seas - 13/05/12
Liberty of the Seas - 29/10/11
Liberty of the Seas - 14/05/11
Adventure of the Seas - 20/05/10
Freedom of the Seas - 20/08/09
Freedom of the Seas - 22/10/06
Brilliance of the Seas - 27/10/05
Navigator of the Seas - 07/05/05
Mariner of the Seas - 18/04/04

Old January 18th, 2010, 03:48 PM
20,000+ Club

For those who don't feel comfortable enjoying themselves while so close to "utter devastation", how far away do you have to be to feel comfortable. Jamaica is not that far away, and it is the next stop. And even in the best of time, the people of Haiti are suffering.

Quote:
"Not only would I not feel safe, but I wouldn't feel comfortable enjoying a vacation so close to utter devastation and loss of life."

Old January 18th, 2010, 04:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

RE:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchdog View Post
Yes, the ships should go. There are a lot of people who depend on the ships for their living. As long as their visits do not interfere with the rescue efforts more ships should be encouraged to visit the other side of the island not effected by the earthquake.

Of course the ships should call at Labadee! It's secured and nearly 90 miles from the ravages of quake damage in the capitol.

Staying away robs locals around Labadee of their living -- they sell artworks, etc., at the property whenever a ship is in port. Kids come from nearby villages in little kayaks, hoping passengers will drop 'change' from upper decks and the kids dive for it.

Halting port calls at Labadee now would be akin to avoiding tourist areas of Southern CA after a quake in the region. Would it have been prudent to stay away from Disneyland in Anaheim because the San Fernando Valley was a mess? NO! The state needs the revenue and no one is done any favors by those who feel discomfort at vacationing somewhere nearby.

Tourism is/was one of the things Haiti had going for it -- don't take it away from them!

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 18th, 2010, 05:39 PM
5,000+ Club

The guardian article is ridiculous and even carries an old picture misleading as it is to fool readers into thinking all ships still anchor in the bay!

Read this article on Haiti ...

http://travel.sky.com/inspiration/blogs/Cruise-Diary

Relax Unwind Be Yourself! =Ruby Princess.

www.sunshimmer.proboards85.com- for those wanting to see Corfu

YOU CAN`T APPRECIATE THE RAINBOW WITHOUT THE RAIN.

d.darby3@ntlworld.com

MSC Orchestra November 2014 Venice to Dubai
MSC Divina November 2013 T.A. Venice to Miami
MSC Opera June 2013 Southampton to Norway
MSC Poesia November 2012 T.A. Barcelona to Fort Lauderdale
Norwegian Jade April / May B2B 2012
Norwegian Jade February 2012
Costa Deliziosa December 2011
Mariner of the seas May 2011
Oasis of the seas October 2010
Queen Victoria May 2010
Ruby Princess November 2009....
Vision of the Seas September 2009
Brilliance of the Seas June 2009
Ruby Princess November 2008 ....

Old January 18th, 2010, 11:19 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Not stopping in Hati will not aid the people of Port Au Prince one whit. We should not change our tourist plans because of the tragedy to one part of the country. Tourism, relief supplies and money from the cruise companies are all good things for Hati. Add the prayers and well wishes to the ship's Hatian crew and may miracles happen for the people of Hati. Meanwhile, let's visit Hati and help the local economy any way we can. Withdrawing the tourist visits would just be another blow to Hatians.

Barbara and Walter
Bowie, Md.

2014Oceanic Discoverer New Zealand South Island
2013 Disney Dream 2012Diamond Princess The Orient route Star Princess Cape Horn Route SA 2011M/V Evolution Galapagos Islands 2011 Uniworld River Duchess Tulips/windmills;2010 Crown Princess Canada/New England;2010 Coral Princess Panama Canal;2009 Oceania Nautica Greece and Turkey;2008 Cunard QM2 Southern Caribbean;2008 Celebrity Constellation Iberia & TA;2007 Majestic American Queen of West ColumbiaR;2006 Princess Star Princess Baltic;2004 Princess Tahitian Princess South Pacific;2003 Viking River Cruises Clara Schumann Elbe R;2002 Coral Princess (Aust) Coral Princess2 Reef;2001 Princess Royal Princess Norwegian Fijords;2000 Jungle Expeditions La Turmalina Amazon R;1999 Disney Magic Bahamas;1998 RCCL Enchanment of Seas Western Carib.;1996 Princess Star Princess (old) Alaska;1994 RCCL Monarch of the Seas Southern Carib;1990 RCCL Nordic Prince Bermuda;1987 RCCL Sun Viking Eastern Carib.

Old January 19th, 2010, 04:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuizer2 View Post
For those who don't feel comfortable enjoying themselves while so close to "utter devastation", how far away do you have to be to feel comfortable. Jamaica is not that far away, and it is the next stop. And even in the best of time, the people of Haiti are suffering.
Yes of course the ships should go To Labadee and take as many supplies as they can. As for the people who say that they couldn't enjoy themselves near such a disaster should remember how lucky they are to have homes, families, food etc to go back to. Maybe they should be thinking of how they can help the people of Haiti instead of only thinking of themselves. I would not enjoy the rest of my cruise if I had not tried to help in some way.

Old January 19th, 2010, 04:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

There is a real danger that RCI could be perceived as benefiting from Haiti's misfortune by sending cruise ships to the country. A case of 'business as usual' is all well and good but this does tend to feel like RCI are helping the economy & those affected by the quake in Haiti...but at the same time as maintaining their profit margins by sending ships full of guests with healthy wallets and appetites there.

Dangerous ground...quite literally IMHO.

Jane Archer has mentioned this thread in her blog on the Travel Weekly website, I added my comments there too. The amount of money RCI earns could be used much better and more effectively by them chartering freighters to send greater amounts of aid & supplies.

CCL have donated $5m but are not sending their own ships to deliver it.

Last edited by Goldryder; January 19th, 2010 at 04:49 AM.

Old January 19th, 2010, 08:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default keep going to Labadee

[quote=Goldryder;22747952]There is a real danger that RCI could be perceived as benefiting from Haiti's misfortune by sending cruise ships to the country. The amount of money RCI earns could be used much better and more effectively by them chartering freighters to send greater amounts of aid & supplies.quote]

I live in New York City. After September 11, New Yorkers truly appreciated the first groups of tourists that came to visit our city. Relief and reconstruction for a devastated community is needed in all forms. I think RCI made the right decision.
Brilliance OTS Mediterranean 10/09
Splendour OTS Mediterranean 4/09
Splendour OTS B2B Mediterranean 11/08
Jewel OTS 8/08 Baltic Sea
Jewel OTS 6/08 Brit Isles
Legend OTS 1/08 So. Carib
Legend OTS 12/07 So Carib
Voyager OTS 12/05 Western Caribbean
Golden Princess 3/04 Western Carib
Celebrity Century 12/02 Eastern Caribbean
Sun Princess 8/01 Alaska
SS Mauretania Dec. 1958 Caribbean

Old January 19th, 2010, 10:07 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldryder View Post
There is a real danger that RCI could be perceived as benefiting from Haiti's misfortune by sending cruise ships to the country. A case of 'business as usual' is all well and good but this does tend to feel like RCI are helping the economy & those affected by the quake in Haiti...but at the same time as maintaining their profit margins by sending ships full of guests with healthy wallets and appetites there.

Dangerous ground...quite literally IMHO.

Jane Archer has mentioned this thread in her blog on the Travel Weekly website, I added my comments there too. The amount of money RCI earns could be used much better and more effectively by them chartering freighters to send greater amounts of aid & supplies.

CCL have donated $5m but are not sending their own ships to deliver it.
Congratulations. You are the first person I have seen try to turn delivering much need supplies into a negative.

Old January 19th, 2010, 10:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Labadee

Royal Caribbean is doing the right thing by continuing to Labadee...especially since they are delivering the equivalent of two cargo containers of relief with each visit! As far as I know, no other cruise line is doing anything...and they sail right past Hispanola on their way to other ports of call...

To all of the people who are criticizing RCI for stopping and allowing passengers to enjoy a beach day--what is the difference between that and all the resort visitors enjoying their vacations in the Dominican Republic? It's the same island!

RCI employs about 300 people in Labadee, not including the 200 licensed vendors who sell their wares in the markets. They are not only delivering aid, but also much needed revenue to the local economy.

Old January 19th, 2010, 10:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Last night I spoke with my friend that works on Liberty of the Seas. Today will be the first time they've been to Haiti since the earthquake. He said the ship is loaded with supplies and the crew has donated items and money.

At first, I thought it was in poor taste for RCCI to continue to go to Labadee but since reading blogs and articles about the efforts that RCCI is doing and speaking with my Liberty friend about how the crew feels about helping the people of the country then I think it's a no-brainer that they should continue to go there.

If ships stop going then that is income that Haiti is without, not to mention the Haitian people that RCCI employs on the days the ships are there.

I know first hand that the captain and chef have no problem giving food to the people ... I saw it myself last January.

It's a win-win situation for everyone involved.

Royal Caribbean Explorer of the Seas 8/2013

Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas 4/2011
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas 6/2010 - My first solo
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas 8/2009
Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas 1/2009
Carnival Fascination 9/2001

Old January 19th, 2010, 12:58 PM
Cool Cruiser

I can see both points but it's not like RCL is just dropping of its cruisers on the beach - they are bringing supplies etc to the area. No one has looked at the other side either, the cruisers are providing money to the area and I'm sure that some of those living/working their must have family in the disaster area. Who's to say that the money the locals are making isn't going to support their family caught up in the disaster. Without the cruisers they wouldn't have money and wouldn't be able to help anyone else.

For the person who mentioned "CCL have donated $5m but are not sending their own ships to deliver it." Isn't that business as usual for them. Nothing against carnival as I just cruised them but no one can say what Carnival would have done if Labadee was one of their ports.
Splendour of the Seas 13-10-07 - Greek Isles
Splendour of the Seas 20-10-07 - Greek Isles & Turkey
Eurodam - 27-12-08 - Southern Caribbean
Carnival Freedom - 27-12-09 - Caribbean
Navigator of the Seas 28-12-10 Caribbean
Carnival Sensation - 8-12-11 - Caribbean
Coral Princess - 20-8-12 - Alaska

Old January 19th, 2010, 01:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

I agree. and what about the poverty in our own countries/cities?
sorry...but the rest of the world is NOT going to shut down. there is devastation happening all over the world. The fact is, life goes on.

Old January 19th, 2010, 01:57 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Haiti port of call

Has anyone asked, how the cruisers on board the ships feel about Haiti as a port of call right now? True, Haiti sorely needs the tourists and help-but the timing is way off and insensitive, callous and shameful.

Old January 19th, 2010, 02:06 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kengai View Post
Has anyone asked, how the cruisers on board the ships feel about Haiti as a port of call right now? True, Haiti sorely needs the tourists and help-but the timing is way off and insensitive, callous and shameful.
Some have chosen to remain on board.

So you think it is insensitive, callous and shameful for Royal Caribbean to continue to bring income to a country that desperately needs it. Why?

Old January 19th, 2010, 03:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

its just so sad to see how some people have thought that a cruise ship docking at Haiti at this very desperate time is anything but a positive ..

while the cruise ships are bringing in new money, supplies and some relief to the island .. how is this a bad thing? i really just dont understand it ..

" how can i enjoy myself while something like that is going on 100 miles away ? " so, does that mean you're sitting at home crying, praying and just plain sad all the time ?

seriously .. get over yourself

Old January 19th, 2010, 04:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

I also think that RCI is doing the right thing by their cruise ships at are still docking at Haiti. I prefer some other lines, but often have cruised with Royal - and I am looking for another cruise for next year with them because of many things - and their treatment of Haiti is near the top. Bravo RCI. This diamond cruiser is happy with what they are doing.

Old January 19th, 2010, 04:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Some have chosen to remain on board.

So you think it is insensitive, callous and shameful for Royal Caribbean to continue to bring income to a country that desperately needs it. Why?
Because, as the song says- there is a time for every season-would you want people frolicking at the cemetery, while you are laying your loved ones to rest- staying on board ship while it is in Haiti, would be for me even worse-as I would feel even more helpless, so close and yet immobilized to help-I'd feel compelled to go and jump ship to help with the rescue efforts.
Yes, of course RCCl should resume Haiti as a port of call, but NOT NOW!