Next ship build after Allure of the Seas

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Atlanta/Palm Springs
23,163 Posts
Joined Apr 2002
Originally posted by DEIx15x8
I uploaded a video of the entire Captain's Corner from the Oasis's January 2nd sailing. In part 6 (about 3:30 in) Captain Wright talks about the state of the fleet and that the banks don't want them building anything new at this time. In an email from him last week he also said that their are no ship orders on the horizon. Some of the questions in other segments may be of interest as well. He discusses things like the environment impact and efficiency of Oasis during several questions as well.
All9: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYcTYUYD7YQ
Part6: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtgRp50g4UY
Makes sense to me. RCI really does not any new tonnage at this time. The fleet is not that old. Plus you look at the five new ships for Celebrity. They are also set with their fleet. I would rather see RCCL stop building ships, pay down their debt, let pricing catch up with demand to bring quality back up in a few areas. I do remember Adam Goldstein making a comment during one of the Oasis reveals and he clearly stated that there would not be any more Radiance size ships built. Look at Celebrity, their newest ships are close to 130,000 tons and are longer than the Voyager class ships.
Now in SE Florida from NY
7,681 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by cruisingator2
Makes sense to me. RCI really does not any new tonnage at this time. The fleet is not that old. Plus you look at the five new ships for Celebrity. They are also set with their fleet. I would rather see RCCL stop building ships, pay down their debt, let pricing catch up with demand to bring quality back up in a few areas. I do remember Adam Goldstein making a comment during one of the Oasis reveals and he clearly stated that there would not be any more Radiance size ships built. Look at Celebrity, their newest ships are close to 130,000 tons and are longer than the Voyager class ships.
We were docked at St. Kitts a couple of weeks ago and the Sostice appeared just as big as the Explorer even thought the GRT is less.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
<marquee>Mr. Incredible</marquee>

PLUS.

San Diego, CA
2,987 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
I would hope for more Radiance class size ships (or smaller ) in the future, but it appears there is nothing on order for Royal Caribbean after the Allure's arrival in December this year, at least through the fall of 2012. Celebrity has their Eclipse arriving this spring and the Silhouette (not wild about that name!) in the fall of 2011, and a fifth Solstice class ship planned for fall 2012. The future of ship building will certainly be interesting to watch.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
09/15 RCI Jewel of the Seas (California Coastal), 11/09 RCI Radiance of the Seas (Baja),10/07 Crown Princess (Canada/New England), 06/04 RCI Serenade of the Seas (Alaska), 12/01 Radisson Paul Gauguin (South Pacific), 11/01 RCI Viking Serenade (Baja), 10/01 RCI Radiance of the Seas (Pacific NW), 12/00 RCI Voyager of the Seas (w. Caribbean), 12/99 Radisson Paul Gauguin (South Pacific), 12/96 RCI Grandeur of the Seas (Bahamas), 11/95 Celebrity Horizon (s. Caribbean), 09/95 HAL Statendam (Alaska), 04/95 Majesty Royal Majesty (w.Caribbean), 03/95 NCL Windward (s. Caribbean)
Ottawa, On, Cda./Naples, Fl. USA
6,087 Posts
Joined May 2004
Originally posted by rccl2675
i just got off the liberty and the captain charles had said that rccl is gonna make other radiance class ship and that liberty of the sea will be going to bayonne in 2012
A big YES for more Radiance Class ships but a big NO to moving the Liberty away from here.

Kathy
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Tomko2 D+
Live, Laugh & Love.
Central, Tx
4,746 Posts
Joined Oct 2003
Interesting thread.

I for one would love more Radiance Class ships. RCL needs to move back toward some of the Gulf ports and they would be better served having somewhat smaller ships in those markets. (Not that 90K ton ships are small)

Here is a wish list....

A Radiance class ship that is nuclear powered. (No more diesel fuel) It could run for year without fuel and make long trips with no thought about "conserving fuel". Take the best of some of the new ideas and put them on board. Better itineraries! There are a LOT of people who go on a cruise for the ports, NOT the ships. (Gasp did I just say that out loud?)

These "officer" rumors always lead to a lot of hope and never pan out.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
I wrestled with reality for years, Doctor, and I'm happy to state, I finally won out over it. (Jimmy Stewart in "Harvey" 1950)
2,926 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Originally posted by pcl_cruiser
I think they should survey the cruisers and make a ship with all of the elements that cruisers really like. For example, most seem to like the prominade and the radiance class, as well as flow riders and ice skating rinks. So why not make a ship the size of radiance, with the other elements and make the cabin choices simpler and cheaper????

You know I was thinking about that this morning as I was riding back home from the Port of Miami. Surveying the guests on what they like, for example: I LOVE the glass elevators facing the ocean on the Jewel & other Radiance Class ships and I wish they would put these on the newer ships!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Sovereign of the Seas 1999 ** Enchantment of the Seas 2008 ** Jewel of the Seas 2009 ** Oasis of the Seas 2010 Review ** Grandeur of the Seas 2010 Review ** Liberty of the Seas 2010 Review ** Majesty of the Seas 2010 Review ** Navigator of the Seas 2011 ** Allure of the Seas 2011 Review ** Liberty of the Seas 2012 ** Enchantment of the Seas 2014 Review** Brilliance of the Seas 2014 Review** Liberty of the Seas 2014 ** Jewel of the Seas 2015 Review ** Enchantment of the Seas 2016 Review ** Harmony of the Seas 2017 ** Independence of the Seas 2018

Carnival Imagination 2010 ** Carnival Glory 2013 Review ** Carnival Breeze 2014 Review ** Carnival Conquest 2017

Norwegian Sky 2011 ** Norwegian Epic 2012 Review ** Norwegian Sky 2012

Disney Dream 2012 ** Disney Magic 2016 Review ** Disney Dream 2018

MSC Seaside 2018

Coral Princess 2011 Review
Kutztown, PA
3,156 Posts
Joined May 2007
I would love to see a Freedom Class ship with Nordic Empress style lobbies. It was great to be able to leave the room and walk down the hall to the giant stair well lobby with floor to ceiling windows and chairs. They should get rid of the rooms that line the sides of the forward and aft atriums and replace them with a lounge on every floor. Nothing fancy with bars or anything (though those new automated wine machines on the Oasis could be easy), just chairs and a great view. That's the main thing that has bothered me about the Voyager-Freedom classes. They have a hump but waste it on rooms. All that glass open to the atrium would probably also open the ship up to a lot more light and they could even turn the non glass elevators so that they are glass and travel through the lobbies.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
04/10/2000 - Disney Magic - Port Canaveral - 4 Night Bahamas
07/07/2001 - Carnival Victory - Manhattan - 5 Night Canada
06/16/2002 - Nordic Empress - Manhattan - 7 Night Bermuda
07/16/2004 - Voyager of the Seas - Cape Liberty - 9 Night Western Caribbean
06/09/2007 - Liberty of the Seas - Miami - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean
01/02/2010 - Oasis of the Seas - Port Everglades - 7 Night Eastern Caribbean
11/22/2012 - Independence of the Seas - Southampton - 13 Night Westbound Transatlantic
05/17/2013 - Grandeur of the Seas - Baltimore - 7 Night Bermuda
01/11/2014 - Grandeur of the Seas - Baltimore - 10 Night Western Caribbean
11/23/2014 - Quantum of the Seas - Cape Liberty - 8 Night Bahamas Inaugural
12/01/2014 - Quantum of the Seas - Cape Liberty - 11 Night Southern Caribbean
09/18/2015 - Jewel of the Seas - Vancouver - 8 Night Pacific Coastal
10/23/2016 - Harmony of the Seas - Barcelona - 13 Night Westbound Transatlantic
04/17/2017 - Anthem of the Seas - Cape Liberty - 12 Night Southern Caribbean

Cruise Photos: http://picasaweb.google.com/dmpicone/
Oasis of the Seas video series: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgd7VFO5yRo
Independence of the Seas video series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...IJaWs--llGvkn0
Grandeur of the Seas 5/17/13 video series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...Zwii1p1oZ58Lwf
Grandeur of the Seas 1/11/14 video series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...aUv8jwKinUONT9
Quantum of the Seas 11/23/14 & 12/1/14 video series: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...cBZFPWPqNM3nVq
Disney World video series: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list...akwBLswkcePo4O
2,473 Posts
Joined Aug 2009
Originally posted by klingoncruiser
Interesting thread.

I for one would love more Radiance Class ships. RCL needs to move back toward some of the Gulf ports and they would be better served having somewhat smaller ships in those markets. (Not that 90K ton ships are small)

Here is a wish list....

A Radiance class ship that is nuclear powered. (No more diesel fuel) It could run for year without fuel and make long trips with no thought about "conserving fuel". Take the best of some of the new ideas and put them on board. Better itineraries! There are a LOT of people who go on a cruise for the ports, NOT the ships. (Gasp did I just say that out loud?)

These "officer" rumors always lead to a lot of hope and never pan out.

Neeeeeeever gonna happen.

I have been at quite a few "Captain's Corners" and if there is one thing that they all say - you are NOT going to be seeing a nuclear-powered cruise ship.

Did you know that many countries BAN them from their harbors?
Toronto, Canada
744 Posts
Joined Dec 2009
Solstice Class: Solstice
Occupancy: 2,850
Tonnage: 122,000
Length: 1,033 ft
Beam: 121 ft
Draught: 27 ft
Cruise Speed: 24 kts

Inaugural Date: 23 Nov 2008

Radiance Class
: Brilliance
Maiden Voyage: July 19, 2002
Passenger Capacity: 2,501
Gross Tonnage: 90,090
Length: 962'
Beam: 105.6'
Draft: 26.7'
Cruising Speed: 25 knots

2850-2501= 349
It is NOT a big Difference in passengers and Not that much larger in size except for tonnage

Solstice is
35% more than Radiance

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Brilliance (1) Sea Princess (1) Liberty (6) Oasis (2) Allure (1) Independence (3) Freedom ???
[email protected]: 85 RCCL Cruise Points: 102

Overall [email protected] = 92 RCCL+Princess

Northern,New Jersey
3,119 Posts
Joined Nov 2007
I think what we are seeing here is everybody's dream. It probably is a good chance that there will not ever be a 3rd Oasis class ship, so everyone just wants to dream about what the next ship will be like.

Personally, I think a modified Radiance class ship to replace the aging Vision class ships could be a good reality. RCI needs smaller ships that can get into the ports in the expanding markets that they are entering into. Some of the big ships just don't cut it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
PLUS
Aloha of the Seas

496 Days Cruisin + 209 Days in Hawaii (34 Perfect Days- Cruisin Hawaii)

45 Cruises on 6 Different Cruise Lines to 125 Different Ports in 54 Different Countries on 5 Continents
7,681 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Originally posted by Swath
Solstice Class: Solstice
Occupancy: 2,850
Tonnage: 122,000
Length: 1,033 ft
Beam: 121 ft
Draught: 27 ft
Cruise Speed: 24 kts
Inaugural Date: 23 Nov 2008

Radiance Class: Brilliance
Maiden Voyage: July 19, 2002
Passenger Capacity: 2,501
Gross Tonnage: 90,090
Length: 962'
Beam: 105.6'
Draft: 26.7'
Cruising Speed: 25 knots

2850-2501= 349
It is NOT a big Difference in passengers and Not that much larger in size except for tonnage
Solstice is35% more than Radiance

I think you have the double occupancy figure for Solstice and the full capacity for Brilliance (all 3rds and 4ths occupied). Will check.

Brilliance has 1,094 cabins which equals 2,188 double occupancy. Total capacity, 2,501.
http://shipstips.com/brillianceoftheseas.htm

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

PLUS.

7,681 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
timed out - for editing.

Nowhere can you find the number of cabins on the Solstice, just the total of passengers at 2,850 (berths).
So the Solstice is 32,000 tons bigger and carries 350 more people. Lots of space here. 2850-2501.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

PLUS.

San Diego, CA
2,987 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by The Big Booper
I think you have the double occupancy figure for Solstice and the full capacity for Brilliance (all 3rds and 4ths occupied). Will check.

Brilliance has 1,094 cabins which equals 2,188 double occupancy. Total capacity, 2,501.
http://shipstips.com/brillianceoftheseas.htm.
You are correct Big Booper: Brillance passengers based on double occupancy totals 2,110 and the maximum passengers with uppers is 2,501.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
09/15 RCI Jewel of the Seas (California Coastal), 11/09 RCI Radiance of the Seas (Baja),10/07 Crown Princess (Canada/New England), 06/04 RCI Serenade of the Seas (Alaska), 12/01 Radisson Paul Gauguin (South Pacific), 11/01 RCI Viking Serenade (Baja), 10/01 RCI Radiance of the Seas (Pacific NW), 12/00 RCI Voyager of the Seas (w. Caribbean), 12/99 Radisson Paul Gauguin (South Pacific), 12/96 RCI Grandeur of the Seas (Bahamas), 11/95 Celebrity Horizon (s. Caribbean), 09/95 HAL Statendam (Alaska), 04/95 Majesty Royal Majesty (w.Caribbean), 03/95 NCL Windward (s. Caribbean)
26,241 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by John Henry on CC
Bill, that's sort of where I was going with my comment. I think that RC will take a little hiatus from building. It's prudent, don't you think? Let them concentrate on making the ships that they have perform up to the high standards we Cruise Critics demand.
I think that just the normal amount of time that it takes between ordering a ship and constructing it and floating it out, means that nothing new will be coming into the fleet before 2013 or 2014 at the very earliest. I have always thought that the product they deliver on all of the ships in the fleet is of high quality but certainly attention to detail and maintaining those high standards are things that they should continue to aspire to.
On another note, if I had a dollar for every time that a "captain" or other high ranking ship's officer incorrectly proclaimed as fact something about RCI's future plans, I could probably pay for a round the world cruise. I think we need to remember (and perhaps those loose lipped officers need to be reminded), that their primary responsibility is to handle their vessels in a professional manner and they should attend to those assigned duties and not seek to aggrandize themselves by claiming to have special knowledge of the inner workings of the corporation and its plans for the future. With the possible exception of Captain Bill Wright, it is highly unlikely that they will be privy to the decisions made in the executive board rooms until those executives elect to reveal them. In the meantime I will give more weight to the comments by the Chairman and by the line's president about RCI's future construction plans. They have regularly and consistently stated that building more Radiance class ships is just not something that they are considering for all of the reasons that have been cited time and again. The economy may improve over the next few years but the economies of scale offered by the larger ships will not change.
Central PA
4,002 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
My wish list for a future build:

1. size somewhere in the range of Radiance - Solstice
2. lots of glass like Radiance class
3. Centrum or short Promenade - no mall at sea
4. ENCLOSED SOLARIUM - why did they stop this and then start sending the ships to cold waters?
5. don't remove the option for traditional dining
6. decent-size lounges - not present on Oasis (P&D party in the theater??!!)
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Past Cruises: (1 TP, 14 TAs and counting!)
Royal Caribbean, Diamond +
Celebrity, Elite
Princess: a few, and hope for more
NCL, Carnival: No Mas!

Upcoming:

RC Brilliance, Barcelona TA, November '17
Celebrity Infinity, Cape Horn, March '18
Celebrity Infinity, Chile through Panama Canal, March '18 B2B

RC Independence, Southampton TA, October '18
Celebrity Edge, Caribbean, January '19
Easton, Pa
2,953 Posts
Joined May 2005
Maybe its me, but I am not a big fan of the Mega Ships ( oasis ) The Freedom Class is ok, but we love the Voyager Class and Radiance Class ships. If RCI was build any new ships, I would really love to see them build a few of the smaller ships and replace the Majesty and Monarch or maybe a new class that is between the Souverign Class and the Vision Class. Make a new class that is smaller would be my vote. Bigger isnt always better.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Official Balcony Snob.......
Please choose to adopt a pet and help save a life !!

Atlanta, GA
475 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by negc
On another note, if I had a dollar for every time that a "captain" or other high ranking ship's officer incorrectly proclaimed as fact something about RCI's future plans, I could probably pay for a round the world cruise. I think we need to remember (and perhaps those loose lipped officers need to be reminded), that their primary responsibility is to handle their vessels in a professional manner and they should attend to those assigned duties and not seek to aggrandize themselves by claiming to have special knowledge of the inner workings of the corporation and its plans for the future. With the possible exception of Captain Bill Wright, it is highly unlikely that they will be privy to the decisions made in the executive board rooms until those executives elect to reveal them. In the meantime I will give more weight to the comments by the Chairman and by the line's president about RCI's future construction plans. They have regularly and consistently stated that building more Radiance class ships is just not something that they are considering for all of the reasons that have been cited time and again. The economy may improve over the next few years but the economies of scale offered by the larger ships will not change.
Captain Johnny of the Mariner (soon to be of the Allure) was asked the "new build" question this past week. He said that talk is to let Allure get some operating time, and then economy permitting, return to a size similar to Freedom class.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Dusty

1972-1978 Govt. Sponsored Cruises
2005 Voyager of the Seas
2006 Voyager of the Seas
2007 Adventure of the Seas
2008 Mariner of the Seas
2009 Pride of America
2010 Mariner of the Seas
2010 Oasis of the Seas
2011 Adeventure of the Seas
2012 Pride of America
2013 Freedom of the Seas
2015 Allure of the Seas

Toronto, Canada
3,607 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
While we were onboard the Serenade, the Capt & CD talked of future build for RCI - they had a working name of Marco Polo and said size would be between Radiance and Voyager, which makes complete sense after reading all the other "rumours" qioted here. Size/features of these 2 combined could be a winner. And let's not forget, future build is looking beyond 2013. How many of the current ships may be out of service in the next 3 - 5 years? Companies have to forecast 5 - 10 years down the road to keep competitive.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melanie
26,241 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by melbur
While we were onboard the Serenade, the Capt & CD talked of future build for RCI - they had a working name of Marco Polo and said size would be between Radiance and Voyager, which makes complete sense after reading all the other "rumours" qioted here. Size/features of these 2 combined could be a winner. And let's not forget, future build is looking beyond 2013. How many of the current ships may be out of service in the next 3 - 5 years? Companies have to forecast 5 - 10 years down the road to keep competitive.
Whatever will happen it is very unlikely that there will be any new RCI ships introduced before 2013 at the very earliest. While they might shift some of their current ships currently to one of their other lines, they won't be taking them out of service before they absolutely have to. Even the oldest ships in their fleet (Monarch and Majesty) still have years of life left in them, and if it proves to make more economic sense to extend their service that is most likely what they will do.
Toronto, Canada
3,607 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Originally posted by negc
Whatever will happen it is very unlikely that there will be any new RCI ships introduced before 2013 at the very earliest. While they might shift some of their current ships currently to one of their other lines, they won't be taking them out of service before they absolutely have to. Even the oldest ships in their fleet (Monarch and Majesty) still have years of life left in them, and if it proves to make more economic sense to extend their service that is most likely what they will do.
That's what I meant, out of service with RCI.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Melanie