Really stupid scissors question

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

The Villages, Florida
1,831 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Bring two pairs of scissors in two separate luggage cases. What are the odds both will be taken. What a a stupid rule- imho!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
200+ PAST CRUISES on American Hawaiian Independence, Cunard, Celebrity, Royal Caribbean, Princess, Disney, Norwegian Cruise Lines, Carnival, Costa, Holland America, MSC.
"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream."
RCI PINNACLE CLUB MEMBER; MSC BLACK CARD MEMBER; PRINCESS ELITE; CELEBRITY ELITE PLUS
Belleville, Ontario
407 Posts
Joined Nov 2008
Originally posted by truffles2
I agree! I would think they would have "bigger fish to fry"
You would think that would be the case but on our Jan 17th sailing on AOS I got a call in our stateroom from security to go back to where we handed in our luggage which meant leaving the ship and going all the way to the luggage handling section. On the scanner they detected a pair of scissors in my husbands first aid kit. They had me open up the case and they inspected the scissors and deemed them ok to go on board. That was 30 minutes of my life I will never get back.
Sugar Land, TX
5,856 Posts
Joined Mar 2004
Originally posted by HappiTravels
You would think that would be the case but on our Jan 17th sailing on AOS I got a call in our stateroom from security to go back to where we handed in our luggage which meant leaving the ship and going all the way to the luggage handling section. On the scanner they detected a pair of scissors in my husbands first aid kit. They had me open up the case and they inspected the scissors and deemed them ok to go on board. That was 30 minutes of my life I will never get back.
You just ruined my theory. I was noticing that those of us who posted that our scissors weren't confiscated had them in checked bags, but the ones taken were in carry-ons. I thought maybe RC was more concerned about carry-on scissors than checked scissors for unknown reasons. I guess they don't like some checked scissors either.
197 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
I need scissors for my knitting and I'm bringing them! I have a pair of fiskar's kids safety point (blunt tip) scissors. They actually are incredibly sharp in the blade, but can't stab you. I can see them not wanting dressmaking shears (which can kill), but I can't imagine them making me survive 2 full weeks in the middle of the ocean without my kids blunt scissors.
Texas
468 Posts
Joined Feb 2005
Originally posted by southerngoose
I have a pair of fiskar's kids safety point (blunt tip) scissors. They actually are incredibly sharp in the blade, but can't stab you. I can see them not wanting dressmaking shears (which can kill), but I can't imagine them making me survive 2 full weeks in the middle of the ocean without my kids blunt scissors.
I don't know, you might be able to gnaw away at someone's finger with those horribly, dangerous scissors!! Just tell them if they made you go two weeks without them, YOU would be more dangerous than any scissors you could bring! haha.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

A-cruisin' we will go . . .
Rhapsody of the Seas - 3/16/03
Rhapsody of the Seas - 8/15/04
Rhapsody of the Seas - 10/9/05
Rhapsody of the Seas - 8/27/06
Rhapsody of the Seas - 7/29/07
Voyager of the Seas - 2/3/08
Jewel of the Seas - 3/23/09
Voyager of the Seas - 3/7/10
Serenade of the Seas - 3/5/11
Voyager of the Seas - 3/17/12
Navigator of the Seas - 6/1/14
Charlotte, NC
4,554 Posts
Joined Jun 2001
I've had three pair of scissors confiscated from my first aid kit which was in my carry-on. I started several years ago putting them in the outside zippered part of my checked bag...no problem. I have to have them because we lock our luggage with cable ties and I need them to cut off the ties.

On our Thanksgiving cruise while packing the last night, I discovered the zipper was broken. We had to use the scissors to punch holes in the top and bottom of the bag so we could thread cable ties through...LOL...we called it our redneck suitcase! Nevertheless...the scissors were very handy!

I think they have eased up on the scissors rule, but check the TSA site to confirm.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Click here for my Carnival Ecstasy review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2473715

Past & Upcoming Cruises
Admiral Cruises Emerald Seas ~ 1990 & 1991
Carnival Destiny ~ 2007
Carnival Ecstasy ~ 2017
Carnival Fantasy ~ 1993, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014
Carnival Liberty ~ 2008, 2009, 2012, 2014 (2X),
Carnival Paradise ~ 2003
Carnival Triumph ~ 2003, 2004
Celebrity Century ~ 2002
Celebrity Horizon ~ 2005
Celebrity Reflection ~ 2016
Celebrity Summit ~ 2009
Crown Princess ~ 2009, 2015
Dolphin Cruise Lines Dolphin ~ 1992
Golden Princess ~ 2006, 2011
Norwegian Norway ~ 2001
Norwegian Pride of America ~ 2007
Royal Caribbean Freedom of the Seas ~ 2015, 2016
Royal Caribbean Oasis of the Seas ~ 2013
Royal Caribbean Sovereign of the Seas ~ 1998, 1999, 2000
Royal Caribbean Serenade of the Seas ~ 2010, 2017
Star Princess ~ 2005
13 Posts
Joined Oct 2006
I've been carrying round nosed scissors on planes for the last couple year. The regs for RCCL say no sharp items. I'm bring my knitting and my sharp round nosed kiddy scissors.

We shall see how that goes this weekend.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
17,908 Posts
Joined Jun 2002
Wow..so we need to bring scissors for cutting medically needed stuff...guess i have to email them for dispensation? i have ones that are only 4 inches long, total..the blade also has a cover...sheesh!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cape Liberty Info blog

Cruise Photo Albums

My Cruise History:
Royal-too many to count, X-3, NCL-2, CCL-too many to count, MSC-1, HAL-1
So many cruises, so little time and money!

illegitmi non carborundum kmt
5,057 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
I opened my scissors up and stuck them in with my jewelry roll along with necklaces, bracelets, rings, etc. and they went through with my carry-on just fine.

I still haven't heard a good reason on why RCL won't allow them. If you are in a hurry to do some evil and haven't stolen a steak knife from the Windjammer or dining room, just break a wine bottle and go for the throat.

Tucker in Texas
1,170 Posts
Joined Mar 2007
Originally posted by Tucker in Texas
I opened my scissors up and stuck them in with my jewelry roll along with necklaces, bracelets, rings, etc. and they went through with my carry-on just fine.

I still haven't heard a good reason on why RCL won't allow them. If you are in a hurry to do some evil and haven't stolen a steak knife from the Windjammer or dining room, just break a wine bottle and go for the throat.

Tucker in Texas
They have thought of that Why do you think they don't allow you to bring drinks on board?
Sarasota, Fl.
458 Posts
Joined Jan 2006
All of the new, crazy rules (such as the new "deadly scissors" rule) and reduction of rewards and benefits for past passengers is one of the reasons we have chosen to sail Royal Caribbean far less now than in the past. With all the increased passenger capacity coming in the future, you would think they would be bending over backwards to keep passengers returning. Instead, they hike prices, delete member benefits, and enact crazy rules. Makes no sense to me. But then, I guess that's why I am not a cruiseline executive.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
64 Cruises on 14 Cruiselines
Navarre, FL
1,374 Posts
Joined Mar 2008
Originally posted by davekathy
I always take in my checked luggage a small pair of mustache grooming scissors and a small Leatherman. Never had an issue or problem with either going security. I don’t know why I take the Leatherman. I’ve never used it.
We had a leatherman taken from our carry on the FOS. We now don't take one. Not worth it.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Navarre Bob

Carnival Diamond
Royal Caribbean Diamond Plus
122 Cruises - 2 years and 165 days (895 days) on Cruise Ships

Future Cruises:
Carnival Dream 9/24/17 B2B 14 days from New Orleans
RCI Allure of the Seas 10/29/17 7 days from Fort Lauderdale
Carnival Fantasy 12/2/17 5 days from Mobile
Carnival Magic 2/3/18 7 days from Port Canaveral
RCI Liberty of the Seas 3/25/18 7 days from Galveston
RCI Serenade of the Seas 4/20/18 16 days Transatlantic from Ft. Lauderdale to Copenhagen
5,057 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by Mines
They have thought of that Why do you think they don't allow you to bring drinks on board?
I'm breaking the bottle of wine I had delivered to my cabin from the wine package (lol).

Tucker in Texas
Seattle
252 Posts
Joined May 2007
Originally posted by Fionna
Guess it's a good thing I didn't bring any crochet or cross stitch to relax on the balcony with on my cruise a couple of weeks ago... I'd have to gnaw my way through the yarn and thread... *phooey*
My sister made exactly this "foolish" plan on our Hawaii to Vancouver cruise last year. RCI confiscated the scissors in her checked luggage when we embarked in Honolulu and she was called to the 'naughty room' to retrieve her luggage.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Life isn't measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

Radiance of the Seas Alaska B2B- Aug 2017
Grandeur of the Seas New England - Sept 2016
Serenade of the Seas New Orleans to Boston - Apr 2015
Rhapsody of the Seas Alaska - Aug 2009
Rhapsody of the Seas Hawaii to Vancouver - Apr/May 2009
Monarch of the Seas Baha Weekend - Jan 2008
Celebrity Mercury Pacific Northwest - Sept 2007
Norwegian Spirit New England - Sept 2007
Brilliance of the Seas Miami to Barcelona Transatlantic - Apr 2005
Vision of the Seas Mexican Riviera - Feb 2002
Grand Princess Eastern Caribbean - Feb 1999
Carnival Holiday Baha Weekend - Feb 1998
florida
1,116 Posts
Joined Feb 2008
i take the sewing scissors that fold into themselves....so far...so good.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[url="http://www.cruisecritic.com"]
197 Posts
Joined Apr 2003
Oh please! Hobby scissors???? I will admit that I always carry my backup cutter...aka the dental floss container. My dentist gives these "samples" that are maybe the size of two quarters stacked on top of each other. I have never seen a regulation that says that I can't carry that anywhere and it will cut floss and yarn, except for bulky weight yarns. It will also cut small gauge wires, wire insulation etc to cause damage to electronics in planes and ships.

It's like regulating knitting needles but not pens and pencils. If you are concerned about stabbing, don't allow ball point pens. I saw the movie Red Eye and after that...I realize that the ball point pen can really cause an injury.

I always say that every passenger is safer with me and my knitting. Not only will *I* not freak out and have a panic attack worrying if someone else is carrying a bad thing, but if there's a bad guy, we have a weapon too. Trust me...the bad guy isn't going to use kids scissors or knitting needles to attack us...he'll have a better, weapon. I'm barely keeping up with my weapons.
Fort Worth, TX
1,263 Posts
Joined Apr 2007
When we were in line at the port to get on the ship, the lady was yelling to the lines random things that were not allowed that we should "take back" (to our cars). One thing she yelled was scissors but she did say "except manicure scissors." I gave Josh the "Oh S" look because I had a pair of elementary school children scissors in my make up bag that was in the bottom of my carry on. They did not detect them. And I did need them (for cutting off tags from new clothes and for cutting my random bangs that were missed at my last hair cut, lol)... I also have a small glass nail file, but I am thinking that that is okay.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
AMBER
Carnival Valor - Dec 16, 2017
Carnival Breeze - July 30, 2017
Carnival Liberty - August 8, 2016
Carnival Freedom - March 7, 2015
Carnival Ecstasy - May 14, 2011
Voyager OTS - Jan 10, 2010
Carnival Ecstasy - Jan 10, 2009
Carnival Ecstasy - Sept 6, 2008
Carnival Conquest - Sept 2, 2007
Rhapsody OTS - Sept 3, 2006

Northern Illinois
939 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
Thanks for asking this question. Not that I would be ignoring the rules on purpose but I also use flector pain patches and need scissors to cut them. I think if I were to use a steak knife to cut them I would be missing one of the fingers I would be putting those patches on lol.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
**** Sue ****

Grandeur of Seas 12-99
Grand Princess 12-00
Grand Princess 12-01
Majesty of Seas 5-02
Golden Princess 11-02
Grand Princess 11-30-03
Caribbean Princess 12-3-05
Caribbean Princess 5-6-07
Caribbean Princess 5-4 & 5-8-08
Majesty of the Seas 3-1-10
Radiance of the Seas 4-7-11
Caribbean Princess 4-13-13
Royal Princess 4-6-14
Crown Princess 4-9-16
Carnival Conquest 4-20-17
3,183 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by southerngoose
Oh please! Hobby scissors???? I will admit that I always carry my backup cutter...aka the dental floss container.
That's a great idea! I can't quite figure out how I can use it to cut my toenails on my upcoming 28-day cruise!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Troop ship, Alexandria to Southampton 1945, 7 days. River Nile paddle steamer, Sudan to Tanganyika & return, 1946, 1947.
MV Akaroa, Southampton to Auckland 1968, 48 days. Yangtse River Cruise 2005, 4 days. Nile cruise Luxor to Aswan 2008 - 4 days.
Holland America - 58 cruising days, 100 status days.
Celebrity - 70 days.
Royal Caribbean - 72 days.
The Villages Florida
459 Posts
Joined Jun 2007
Originally posted by bouhunter
She's talking about the ship, not the airport.
I had my Scissors taken from me when I was boarding the Grandeur of the Seas in Tampa. They were in my carry -on; I usually take them to trim my mustache. They had about 4" blades and I was told I could pick them up at the security area after my cruise .Once I boarded we were given 6" steak knives to eat lunch( GO FIGURE ) didn,t bother to pick them up after cruise!