Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Cozumel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old February 1st, 2010, 08:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Money bar, Cozumel info please

Has anyone been to the Money Bar in Cozumel? How does it compare to Chakanaab?

I heard it is free, you just pay for your food and drinks and can snorkel from shore.

I wonder how the snorkeling is and if there is plenty of shade, atmosphere, etc...

Ad Sponsored By
Old February 2nd, 2010, 06:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Yes to all Q's. Go and enjoy.

Old February 3rd, 2010, 05:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Anyone else have more detailed info

How does Money bar compare to Chakanaab?

Old February 3rd, 2010, 11:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

hopefully the below link works, too bad it does not zoom underwater. Money Bar is laid back. Notice the snorkel boats as most tours stop here. Food is good and a moderate 120mxn for most meals. They are very fair on exchange rate.
Compared to Chak snorkel is much more natural and larger area. Map on side of dive shops shows how to use the currents to your advantage. Construction accross street continues and will surely change ambience once it is finished. It did not interfere with our day last week. Google for the website they have a massage and lunch package for a good price. You will never feel hassled or crowded. The chairs and the lounges in the sand are serviced by Roberto. He has always provided us with great service. Tell Roberto Big Robb says hola.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...314.39,,0,3.99

Old February 4th, 2010, 07:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thanks!

Thanks! yes the link works. I will discuss it with my dad. Only difference I see is that they don't have a pool...but it would save us money..

Old February 4th, 2010, 11:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Could we walk from the International Pier to Money Bar? It does not look far?

Old February 5th, 2010, 12:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Docking at International pier in March. Money Bar looks like it is only a mile or two from the pier. Can we walk? Tried to look at maps but not getting exact distance. Thanks for help. I thought I'd take my 16 yr old sons snorkeling while their father is diving. I realize we can take a taxi - if it is that close though we would rather walk.

Old February 5th, 2010, 04:05 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunandsnow View Post
Docking at International pier in March. Money Bar looks like it is only a mile or two from the pier. Can we walk? Tried to look at maps but not getting exact distance. Thanks for help. I thought I'd take my 16 yr old sons snorkeling while their father is diving. I realize we can take a taxi - if it is that close though we would rather walk.
You're a good 2 miles + from Money Bar. You have a whole other pier area between you before you get to the cutoff to the old beach road and the main road isn't conducive to walkers. Getting a cab is fairly quick and easy and not all that expensive.
Carnival Dream, January 2010
Carnival Dream, May 2010
Carnival Dream, June 2011
Carnival Liberty April 2012
Carnival Breeze, November 2012

Old February 5th, 2010, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

It is $8usd. via cab and I would recommend it. Usually a taxi waiting or plenty driving by for a return.

Old February 5th, 2010, 07:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdukey View Post
hopefully the below link works, too bad it does not zoom underwater. Money Bar is laid back. Notice the snorkel boats as most tours stop here. Food is good and a moderate 120mxn for most meals. They are very fair on exchange rate.
Compared to Chak snorkel is much more natural and larger area. Map on side of dive shops shows how to use the currents to your advantage. Construction accross street continues and will surely change ambience once it is finished. It did not interfere with our day last week. Google for the website they have a massage and lunch package for a good price. You will never feel hassled or crowded. The chairs and the lounges in the sand are serviced by Roberto. He has always provided us with great service. Tell Roberto Big Robb says hola.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...314.39,,0,3.99

It sounds like you have been here, can you tell me if they allow fishing from shore? My DH would like to bring his rod and just fish for a bit. Also does this place rent snorkel equipment? This looks like a place we would really enjoy.

Carnival Paradise 6/13 Enchantment of the Seas 4/13 Carnival Liberty 4/13 Norwegian Dawn 2/13 Monarch of the Seas 12/12 Carnival Ecstasy 8/12 Monarch of the Seas 5/12 Monarch of the Seas 5/11 Monarch of the Seas 4/2011 Freedom of the Seas 12/2010 Bud Light Port Paradise III Radiance of the Seas 11/10 Monarch of the Seas 9/10 Monarch of the Seas 7/10 Grandeur of of the Seas 3-10 Monarch of the Seas 11-09 Carnival Sensation 9-09 Monarch of the Seas 7/09 Monarch of the Seas 6/09 Carnival Sensation 3-09 Carnival Sensation 11-08 Freedom of the Seas 10-08 Sovereign of the Seas 5-08 Sovereign of the Seas 1-08 Carnival Glory 9-07 Sovereign of the Seas 5-07 Sovereign of the Seas 3-07 Carnival Glory 10-06 Grandeur of the Seas 3-06 Carnival Inspiration 10-05

Old February 5th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the quick response. We'll cab it either to Money Bar or Corona.

Old February 6th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

We went in December and had a good time. Took a cab, rented snorkeling gear and snorkled for about 45 minutes. Then we just sat at a table, had some drinks and ate a DELICIOUS meal of fresh caught fish. It was reasonably priced and wonderful, and the snorkeling was pretty good. We were a little too tired to go back out, as we did have to fight the current a bit to swim back in.

Past Cruises:
RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 12/14/09 - Freedom of the Seas - 5/24/09 - Mariner of the Seas - 5/29/05 - Navigator of the Seas - 5/31/03 - Adventure of the Seas - 6/16/02 - Explorer of the Seas -5/26/01

Cunard Queen Mary 2 - 8/3/07 - Silja Symphony 7/06 - Star Princess - 5/28/04

Old February 6th, 2010, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think we are going to the money bar for the package deal, (lunch/snorkel/massage), and want to shop in town. Would you suggest taking a cab from the port to town, shop, then take a cab to the money bar, then cab back to ship, or other way around.

NCL Starward - June 1988 Carribean
Amer/Hawaiian SS Independencse- M. 1991 Hawaii
Princess Regal- 1993 Carribean
Carnival Fascination - Feb 1995 S. Carribean
NCL Majesty- Sept 1998 Bermuda
Princess Dawn- 2001 Carribean
Carnival Fantasy- April 2004 Bahamas
Carnival Valor- March 2007 W. Carribean
Costa Med.- March 2008 Carribean
March 2009-vacationed in Florida
Carnival Freedom- April 2010
Carnival Miracle-April 2011
Carnival Dream- April 2012
Princess Caribbean- April 2013

Old February 7th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

there is a dive shop to rent snorkel gear, for fishing I do not know and have never seen it. they have a dock/pier so if another part of your group is on a dive trip they can be dropped off on there on the return as it is close to the marina and southeast reefs.

As far as Money Bar or shopping 1st, I guess it would be dependant on what time your boat arrives as the shops off the main path may not open until 10am. If you dock a Punta Lagosta you will close to shopping. International or Puerta Maya you will be closer to the Money Bar.

I am just trying to share my Cozumel experiences and enjoy the Money Bar for its location to the piers and its laidback and welcoming atompshere. I am sure other areas are great too, but after 4 visits this is our comfort spot. Enjoy!!!

Old February 11th, 2010, 07:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Our ship is in from 8-5 at Puerta Maya.
I think I read the time is 1 hr. difference in April?
Do you know when everything opens in town? I guess I should email money bar and see when they open also. Your right this will make a difference on if to shop or go to money bar first.

NCL Starward - June 1988 Carribean
Amer/Hawaiian SS Independencse- M. 1991 Hawaii
Princess Regal- 1993 Carribean
Carnival Fascination - Feb 1995 S. Carribean
NCL Majesty- Sept 1998 Bermuda
Princess Dawn- 2001 Carribean
Carnival Fantasy- April 2004 Bahamas
Carnival Valor- March 2007 W. Carribean
Costa Med.- March 2008 Carribean
March 2009-vacationed in Florida
Carnival Freedom- April 2010
Carnival Miracle-April 2011