Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old March 1st, 2010, 07:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

I get very seasick. On my first cruise, if it were not for a friend offering me patches he did not need I would have gotton off at the first port and flown home. I had sailed numerous times on very small craft without issue. The cruiseship made me sick. I was really surprised.

I always have the patch with me, and I ask my doctor to give me enough for a fresh patch every day. The box says they last three days but I've never had them last more than two. There are side affects. I find that I am thirsty, but no cotton mouth. My eyes do dilate. It is also important not to touch anything after you touch the sticky part before you wash your hands well. You don't want to ge tthe medication in your eye. I had less side effects this year than I had the past two.

The bonine is supposed to be good, I don't like taking anything that will make me drowsey as I already have allergy meds that do that. The ginger did not work for me. I also tried seabands, but they don't totally do the trick for me.

You will have to talk to your doctor to get the prescription. Tell him/her your concerns. I would be prepared with a few different options. Seasickness is just terrible.

I think it is an excellent question to raise. There are many solutions, hope you find the right one. Happy cruising.

Allure of the Seas 01/29/2012 (Ft. Lauderdale-Labadee-Costa Maya-Cozumel-Ft. Lauderdale)
Allure of the Seas 02/06/2011 (Ft. Lauderdale-Nassau-St. Thomas-St. Maarten-Ft. Lauderdale)
Liberty of the Seas 01/17/2010 (Miami-Labadee-Grand Cayman-Cozumel-Miami)
Freedom of the Seas 01/25/2009 (Miami-Labadee-San Juan-St. Maarten-Miami)
Explorer of the Seas 08/09/2008 (NJ-Bermuda-NJ)
Liberty of the Seas 01/19/2008 (Miami-Grand Turk-St. Thomas-Labadee-Miami)

Next Up: Independence of the Seas Feb 2013

Old March 1st, 2010, 08:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

The patch is scopalamine, jimson week. It is contraindicated if you have heart problems - especially high blood pressure, or are a stroke risk. One odd side effect that wasn't mentioned is it may dilate the tiny blood vessels in your sinuses makign you feel like someone filled them with cement [but it goes away fairly fast if you remove the patch.]

Another odd side effect is if you are wearing one, and get really sweaty, don't snuggle with someone with heart/stroke issues as the scopalamine can be carried in your sweat and effect the other person. I got to be the other person and got the cement sinuese and racing heart but since I already knew about the cement sinus issue [from a long time ago prior to heart troubles pulling jimson weed out of my pasture to keep teh sheep from eating it] I knew what it was.

Explorer of the Seas 2-5-10 Sailed!!!

Old March 1st, 2010, 08:23 PM
20,000+ Club

The Patch made me feel horrible and screwed up my vision.
Bonine has no side effects for me, so that is what I use and it works great.

Never say never.

Carnival: Celebration 5/1991~ Holiday 2/2003~ Miracle 6/2004~ Inspiration 3/2007~ Legend 3/2008~ Fantasy 11/2008~ Miracle 8/2009~ Triumph 2/2010~ Liberty 12/2010~ CCL Freedom 11/2011~ Spirit 4/2012 and DONE
Celebrity: Infinity 11/2006
Royal Caribbean: Explorer of The Seas 9/08
Norwegian: Spirit 11/2007~ Sky 2/2009~ Star 3/2009~ Dawn 11/2009~ Dawn 1/2011~ Dawn 9/2012~ Sun 2/2013~ Sun 2/2014

"I was born in the sign of water, and it's there that I feel my best"~~ Glenn Shorrock

Old March 1st, 2010, 09:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PamelaRic View Post
I'm the world's worst seasick sailor. I get motion sickness so easily that I cannot even ride in the backseat of a car. Well, I can, but you certainly don't want what happens when I do. I use the Scopolamine patch. Since at first it does make me a little sleepy, I put it on the night before the cruise and let it help me get a good night's sleep. The worst side effect I've ever had was "cotton" mouth. I just drink a lot of water. I have used the transderm scop for car and bus trips, scuba diving, sailing, cruising, flying. I have a continual refilling RX I use it so much. I have tried absolutely everything for motion sickness and have been sick through them. Scopolamine is the only thing that has ever worked for me. Personally, I think there is nothing more miserable in this world than being seasick. My advice would be to try it before the ship to see if you do have problems and if you do, are they manageable problems like having a dry mouth. Lately, I don't seem to have the dry mouth problem.
Good luck,
Pamela
Tucson
Pamela you sound like me with not being able to ride as a passenger in a car without getting sick, I don't go on vacation without my patch, thank god I have not experienced any side effects other than like you said thirsty. I put it on the day before I fly to make sure I don't get sick on the plane.

Old March 1st, 2010, 09:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

An anesthesiologist suggested benadryl to me. My wife loves to read and couldn’t in the car. She takes 50mg prior a long road trip and reads away. She tells me it works well on the boat too. The only issue is needing to take the dose 3 times a day.

Old March 1st, 2010, 09:43 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikeboats View Post
Hi, I am prone to sea sickness though I only got sick on a small fishing boat and never on a cruise boat (only 2 other cruises) . I am sailing on the Oasis on Saturday, aft. Does it make you tired? I don't drink so that is not an issue, but I don't want to be "out of it". Does that Bonvine (sp) work and where can you get that? Thanks for any input.
When working on boats that are not much bigger than the lifeboats on Oasis I did get seasick, yuck!!! I used the patch...got dry mouth but decided it was better than a mouth full of barf.

Ultimately like with other RX you need to discuss your specific condition with your MD...there may be contraindications for the patch for you. Lots of other options out there though.

Hope you have a seasick FREE cruise you really enjoy!!!

Past Cruises:
Disney Ships: Disney Magic Oct 2012 // Disney Magic March 2013
Norwegian Ships: Norwegian Getaway 2014
Princess Ships: Island Princess April 2012 // Sapphire Princess July 2012 // Emerald Princess August 2013 // Caribbean Princess 2014
RCCL Family of Ships: Voyager OTS Dec 2011 // Mariner OTS Dec 2011 // Celebrity Millennium Oct 2011 // Allure OTS 7/17/2011 // Legend OTS 6/4/2011 // Brilliance OTS 2/1/2011 // Voyager OTS 12/19/2010 // Voyager OTS 11/28/2010 // Enchantment OTS 3/15/2010 // Serenade of the Seas 6/27/2009 // Voyager of the Seas - 4/12/2009 // Mariner of the Seas - 2/19/2009 // Voyager of the Seas - 12/28/2008 // Adventure of the Seas - Aug 2008 // Navigator of the Seas - 3/15/2008 // Grandeur of the Seas - 12/29/2007 // Majesty of the Seas - 10/5/2007 // Explorer of the Seas - 04/15/2007
Other Ships: Kangroo Explorer on GBR - Aug 2004 // Reeftel on the GBR - Aug 1999 //\\ Worked as Deck Crew on Multiple Vessels (Including offshore drilling rigs) Summer Work 1987-1991

RCCL Diamond Plus / Celebrity Elite / Princess Elite / Disney

Old March 1st, 2010, 10:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOANN226 View Post
Pamela you sound like me with not being able to ride as a passenger in a car without getting sick, I don't go on vacation without my patch, thank god I have not experienced any side effects other than like you said thirsty. I put it on the day before I fly to make sure I don't get sick on the plane.
Joann - Looks like we are twins!!

Pamela
Tucson

Scheduled Cruises:
Nov 24, 2013: Carnival - Magic - Mexican Riviera
March 23, 2014: RCI - Navigator - Western Caribbean

Past Cruises:
Nov 18, 2012: Carnival - Splendor - Mexican Riviera
Jan 2, 2011: RCI - Mariner of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
Nov 30, 2009: RCI - Radiance of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
Oct 14, 2009: RCI - Radiance of the Seas - Baja
Sep 18, 2009: RCI - Monarch of the Seas - Bahamas
Sep 14, 2009: RCI - Monarch of the Seas - Bahamas
Apr 26, 2009: RCI - Radiance of the Seas - Chile to San Diego
Dec 14, 2008: RCI - Vision of the Seas - Mexican Riviera
Oct 13, 2008: RCI - Monarch of the Seas - Baja
Sep 15, 2008: RCI - Monarch of the Seas - Baja
Dec 15, 2007: Holland America - Oosterdam - Mexican Riviera
Mar 26, 2007: RCI - Splendor of the Seas - Western Caribbean

Old March 1st, 2010, 10:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

The patch is the only thing that has worked well for me, but did get sick from taking them off after having them on for 14 days. Evidently it is best to leave them on, so you come off the med gradually. They do cause dry mouth and blury vision.

Bonine makes me horribly tired.

On my next trip I'm going to try Scopace, which is the tablet form of the patch. It has to be taken every 8 hours, but hopefully I'll be able to control the dose and have less side effects.

Old March 1st, 2010, 10:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have used the patch on 5 cruises and never had any kind of reaction. Would not cruise without one.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

This may or may not help but I was extremely sea sick on an Eastern Caribbean Cruise and we were experiencing some rough tides, and I didn't want to eat dinner. Our waiter suggested Green apples. They calm your stomach down. and it actually works. The issue is trying to find them on the ship..

The thing my daughter has done was when she started feeling nauseated she took one of those sea sickness pills that they give out for free at the medical area. Not sure what it was but it worked and she didn't have an issue..

Dramamine also works well and you can buy that at any drugstore.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 12:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Pros and Cons of Seasick Patch

My wife and I have cruised twice on RCCL (Ambassodor of the Seas 6/08 and Serenade of the Seas 12/09). She is a physician and we used the patch both times. No ill effects to report. We put the patch on immediately on boarding which gave about 4 hours prior to departure on a 7 day cruise. We changed in out on Wednesday for the remaining days.

If there are any concerns ask your doctors, but the peace of mind going into the cruises were worth the prescription which is pretty reasonable.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 07:47 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Ginger capsules have always worked well for us with no side effects. They are available at most drug stores,

On a Myth Buster's episode last year ginger, bonine, dramamine and the patch all proved effective. The wrist bands didn't.

People who rountinely get motion sickness while riding in a car have an excellent opportunity to try the different remedies before getting on a ship.
ROYAL CARRIBEAN CRUISES: GRANDEUR May 2003 ~ SPLENDOR Nov 2003 ~ GRANDEUR Apr 2004 ~NAVIGATOR Dec 2004 ~ RHAPSODY Feb 2005 ~ RHAPSODY Aug 2005 ~ NAVIGATOR BTB NAVIGATOR Nov 2005 ~ BRILLIANCE Feb 2006 ~ RHAPSODY Apr 2006 ~ NAVIGATOR Jun 2006 ~ VISION Sep 2006 ~ FREEDOM Nov 2006 ~ BRILLIANCE Feb 2007 Panama Canal ~ EXPLORER Apr 2007 W Caribbean ~ RADIANCE Sep 28,2007, 15 Day Hawaii ~ RADIANCE B2B RADIANCE Jan 13 & Jan 19, 2008 E & W Caribbean ~ VOYAGER Mar 2 2008 W Caribbean ~ LIBERTY Sept 13 2008 E Caribbean ~ JEWEL Dec 8 2008 Panama Canal ~ VOYAGER Jan 18 2009 W Caribbean~ LIBERTY Oct 24, 2009 E Caribbean ~ OASIS Sept1, 2012 W Carribean ~ NAVIGATOR Nov 24, 2012 from New Orleans ~ ALLURE Apr 7,2013 from Ft Lauderdale ~ JEWEL ~ Aug 31, 2013 from San Juan ~ BRILLIANCE ~ Sep 22, 2013 from Boston ~SERENADE, Dec 12, 2013 from New Orleans ~ ALLURE, Feb 9, 2014, from Ft Lauderdale ** MAJESTY, Feb 16, 2014 from Miami
ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES BOOKED: ** SERENADE, Mar 29, 2014, from New Orleans ** VISION, Jun 9, 2014 from Ft Lauderdale ** NAVIGATOR B2B, Sep 7, Sep 14, 2014 from Galveston ** NAVIGATOR B2B, Oct 19, Oct 26, 2014 from Galveston ** SERENADE B2B2B, Nov 29, Dec 6, Dec 13, 2014 from New Orleans ** ADVENTURE B2B, Feb 1, Feb 8, 2015 from San Juan ** INDEPENDENCE B2B Sep 6, Sep 13, 2015 from Ft Lauderdale

Last edited by Don Pedro; March 2nd, 2010 at 07:52 AM.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:19 AM
5,000+ Club

If your motion sickness isnt terrible go for bonnine and ginger pills. Definitely consult your medical Doctor to see if the scopalamine patch is indicated for your experience with sea sickness. No one has mentioned, so I thought Id throw this out there, Dr's will not prescribe scopalamine for kids, it is a strong medication and as others have stated there are many side effects that can happen and alter your cruise experience.

June 2014 Explorer, we're coming back for one last hurrah! Turning Diamond+ on the RC ship we have sailed most!
November 2014 Quantum OTS
December 2014 Quantum OTS
September 2015 Serenade OTS 12nt Canada/NE!

The Sails that Started it all.......
It started way back, when I was a kid.
My Grandparents often sailed on The Oceanic and to say the Bon Voyage Parties were memorable is an understatement!*

Chandris Amerikanis 1987 First time to Bermuda!•Celebrity Zenith July 2001•Voyager of the Seas June 2004•Voyager of the Seas April 2006
Explorer of the Seas July 2007•Explorer of the Seas December 2007•Explorer of the Seas June 2008•*Parents Vow Renewal-2008*
CCL Miracle December 2008•Explorer of the Seas June 2010•Explorer Holiday Cruise December 2010•June 2011 OASIS•
May 2012 Celebrity Summit to Bermuda•October 2012 CCL Destiny•Fell in Love with the Enchantment of the Seas January 2013•
May 2013 Summit • I ♥ ≈X≈ • December 2013 Sadly had to cancel Grandeur • January 2014 11 nts on Legend of the Seas •

Live from Explorer July 2007- - Live from Explorer 12/2007 Holiday Cruise-
CCL from RCI Miracle 12/2008 - - Explorer June 24,2010 Review
♥Team Ks 14nt Holiday Sail 12/2010
- Team K on Oasis - 6/24/11 Review

Summit Review May 2012

I ♥ Blogging

Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

I did the patch for my first 8 or so cruises. Then when I took it, on the following cruise, my vision was blurred. My vision stayed blurred until the medication wore off. The blurriness was not for long distance but for close-up distance (like a foot away from my eyes). So there was no putting on make-up!

I was about 28 yrs old when this happened. So now, I don't take anything unless the seas are VERY choppy..I'll take Bonine. I think after awhile, you kind of get use to the movement and don't get sick anymore. This is coming from someone who get extremely motion sick in every situation.
[color="Blue"]Always cruisin' with my BFF (hubby). Going on cruise #21 during Thanksgiving
This 5th grade teacher needs her pampered vacations!

Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Red face

I was seasick after I got off my last cruise. I took 1 Bonine and it made me sleep for 2 days. I am so glad that I didn't take it on my cruise. If you haven't taken it before, be sure to try it first. Medicines usually do make me sleepy. I only take a kid's dose of cold medicine.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 10:56 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Pros and Cons of Seasick Patch

my wife gets motion sickness and sea sickness very easy;not only on the water but traveling in a vehicle. We also have a motor home that sways a lot and that motion will get to her frequently. Someone recommended the wrist bands to her as opposed to medication and they have worked very well for her. There is not any medication involved; it is a pressure point thing on the underside of your wrist. They can be purchased in a pharmacy such as Wal-mart or Walgreens. For her they work much better than any medication.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 11:00 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by carkosh View Post
I am one of those who still use the patch. However, I learned several cruises ago that cutting them in half & wearing just the half works just as well (& it saves me having to buy more for the next cruise lol). Now I don't get any of the side effects that I used to. Please note, this is my experience; I know that people have different reactions to all medicines; don't want to talk you into anything that might be harmful or uncomfortable, just explaining how I use them.

Carol
Cutting "the patch" in half is not recommended by the manufacturer. It totally destroys the dosing mechanism and allows all the medicine to leak out.

Good chance that you just do not get seasick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellyBell View Post
Just to give you a heads up the patch can dilate your eyes. I know several people that have had one eye dilate and they freak out thinking they are having a medical emergency.
Dilated pupils are not real good to have in the bright Caribbean sun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pedro View Post
Ginger capsules have always worked well for us with no side effects. They are available at most drug stores,

On a Myth Buster's episode last year ginger, bonine, dramamine and the patch all proved effective. The wrist bands didn't.

People who rountinely get motion sickness while riding in a car have an excellent opportunity to try the different remedies before getting on a ship.
Myth Busters is entertaining, but not a real good place to get medical information.

Old March 2nd, 2010, 02:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

For me the side effects are VERY dry mouth, and by day 3 I can't read magazines, or the menus. Very frusterating. I also brought along bonine and dramamine. Worked just fine. I won't be using the patch anymore unless there is extremely rough seas. Over the counter meds are fine for a little motion.
Independence of the Seas 3/7/09
Explorer of the Seas 8/08
Jewel of the Seas 3/2/08
Jewel of the Seas 3/10/07
Norwegian Dawn 10/06
Majesty of the Seas 2/06
Carnival Ecstasy 5/96

Old March 2nd, 2010, 06:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Cutting "the patch" in half is not recommended by the manufacturer. It totally destroys the dosing mechanism and allows all the medicine to leak out.

Good chance that you just do not get seasick._____________________________________

Yes, I did read that on the package yrs ago when I first started using them. I asked my pharmacist before I decided to try the 1/2 & he said that not much will leak out. He must be correct as I do get terribly seasick evidenced by the times I cruised when the patch was not being made (there was some equipment failure at the drug manufacturer & thus couldn't make the patches & took them off the market). Those several yrs I got seasick even when I was taking Bonine or ginger pills....almost gave up cruising or boating of any kind. Fortunately, they came back on the market. With the 1/2 I use I don't get the least bit ill. I will, tho, ask again when I pick up my next batch before my May Oasis cruise.

Carol

Old March 2nd, 2010, 08:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Sea Sick

I get sea sick watching the moon traverse the sky at night so I use Bonnie. The lower dose medication is the same used to help people whom are dizzy, (vertigo)??. Cost is about 5 bucks for 16 pills. I don't leave home without it.