Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Celebrity Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Celebrity Cruises
- Read thousands of Celebrity Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Celebrity Cruise Deals
- Write a Celebrity Cruise Review
- Find Your Celebrity Roll Call
See posts about:
Celebrity Constellation
Celebrity Millennium
Celebrity Summit

Celebrity Eclipse
Celebrity Reflection
Celebrity Xpedition

Celebrity Equinox
Celebrity Silhouette

Celebrity Infinity
Celebrity Solstice

Old May 25th, 2010, 06:49 PM
Product Development

Default Virtual Slideshow: Constellation Refurb (Have you seen it?)

Cruise Critic Editor in Chief Carolyn Spencer Brown was invited to spend the final few days of Constellation's recent, massive refit at the shipyard and en route to Amsterdam for an exclusive look at the ship's final stages of transformation.

What do you think? Have they made Constellation too much like the Solstice class ships? Come along on the journey in this three-part virtual slideshow - and tell us what you think about the changes.

Last edited by melissa@cruisecritic; May 25th, 2010 at 07:01 PM.

Old May 25th, 2010, 08:03 PM
5,000+ Club

Very nice! Thanks, Melissa!

Old May 25th, 2010, 09:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow! Celebrity hit a home run with this upgrade. Every comparison is better now than before. I really love the Tuscan Grille and the Rendezvous Lounge. The improvements make the ship even more elegant than she was before. I am really looking forward to being aboard her again in August!

Last edited by boogs; May 25th, 2010 at 09:56 PM.

Old May 25th, 2010, 10:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

The Constellation is a beautiful ship, and I am so pleased that Celebrity has given her a facelift. When we were last on her, it was sad to see the obvious need for refurbishing. Now, we look forward to sailing on her once more as she is an old friend who has a new wardrobe and some interesting alternatives for dining. Wonderful photos. Many thanks!

Old May 26th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Haven't cruised on her before, but it seems like great changes!
Thank you so much for posting this, it was interesting to read and watch.

Ad Sponsored By
Old May 26th, 2010, 09:30 AM
10,000+ Club

Thanks for the article and pictures Melissa.... I have a question I've been trying to get answered. All the Celebrity ships except S class have the casual dining area in the buffet area, the one with the $2.00 pp service charge. Do they still have that on the Constellation now that it has received its S class makeover...

Old May 26th, 2010, 10:13 AM
Cool Cruiser

Seen it and like the changes. It's our first cruise ever, so I'm rather excited about seeing what other more seasoned cruisers think of the refurbishments.

Old May 26th, 2010, 10:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Great slide show, Melissa! Thanks! It makes me want to book Constellation right now!

Old May 26th, 2010, 10:50 AM
5,000+ Club

Personally I'm thrilled with the updates to what was already my favorite ship. She looks more elegant than ever! Thank you so much Melissa for all of the great info and pictures.
Nordic Prince (7 night Bermuda)-1990
Norwegian Sea (7 night Western Caribbean)-2004
Celebration (5 night Bahamas)-2005
Norwegian Majesty (7 night Western Caribbean)-2006
Mariner of The Seas (7 night Eastern Caribbean)- Sep. 2007
Norwegian Star (8 night Mexican Riviera)-April 2008
Carnival Glory (7 night Western Caribbean)-November 2008
Celebrity Constellation (11 night Eastern/Southern Caribbean)- April 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 night Alaska)- August 2009
Celebrity Mercury (11 night Eastern Caribbean)-March 2010
Celebrity Constellation (14 night Southern Caribbean)-March 2011
Celebrity Silhouette (12 night Eastern/Southern Caribbean)-March 2012
Freedom of The Seas (14 Night Back-To-Back Western/Eastern Caribbean)-April 2013

Carnival Fantasy (7 Night Eastern Caribbean)-August 2014
Celebrity Silhouette (7 Night Western Caribbean)-March 2015

Old May 26th, 2010, 10:57 AM
5,000+ Club

Default Constellation was our favorite...now?

Wow, what an excellent presentation of the changes. We made a TA on Constellation and loved Her and the crew - She became our favorte ship. Made an E Med and TA on the Solstice and also loved the new options. Was afraid Solstice would be 'too big', but as usual, Celebrity has designed the common areas to not seem as crowded.

As to the Constellation upgrades? I think they've brought in the best of S-Class.

- My wife enjoyed the flower arrangng classes in the Conservatory, but it seemed a bit of a waste of space expecially with all the fake flowers- now as the Tuscan Grille, great an addition.

- The Cova Cafe was our favorite area to sit, use my minicomputer on a table and sip a bit of coffee, but the Cafe al Bacio is a definite upgrade. And we are So Glad they added Bistro at 5 - at first, many posters were not that big on it (most hadn't tried it!), but we loved it. Open so many hrs, minor 'tip' to use a great dining experience...and it was open on embarkation and we loved that. And I think (please correct me) its open in port - how fast our memories go!

- As to the Martini Bar, the Crush sounds neat, didn't really use it on Solstice because of the crowd around it most of the time - that should say something. Personally, I enjoyed the Martini Bar layout, but not that big of a deal with the change.

- And the cabins - love the new decor. but being me, I liked the original also. My wife likes the new decor much more so that makes me happy...
but of course, I loved Miami Vice and all that Florida blues and 'Fla Sunset' colors! Heck, I drove my wife nuts when we were looking new bedroom decor and she realized I was pointing out all the colors we had in the room now. Ouch.

So, not only a great presentation, but now you got me planning on a Constellation cruise for next year. Can't wait! Which leads to the next question (I know its been posted before), but what is the schedule for all the other M-Class ships???

Denny

Last edited by Denny01; May 26th, 2010 at 10:59 AM.

Old May 26th, 2010, 11:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Seems like the best of both worlds to me!

Thanks to Melissa and Carolyn for sharing the great photos and information. I have been wanting to try the Solstice-class ships, but love the smaller size of the M-class ships.

So, to me, the "Solsticizing" of the M-class ships provides the best of both worlds

Freedom of the Seas 8/14, Paul Gauguin 8/13, Jewel of the Seas 7/13, Silhouette 1/13, Pride of America 8/12, Eclipse 12/11, Serenade of the Seas 7/11, Solstice 3/11, Solstice 8/10, Century 4/10, Radiance of the Seas 10/09, , Summit 03/09, Navigator of the Seas 01/09, Summit 03/08, Diamond Princess 03/07, Serenade of the Seas 2/06, Star Princess 12/04, Radisson Seven Seas Navigator 7/04, Golden Princess 3/04, Constellation 12/03, Millennium 12/02, Constellation 11/02, Norwegian Sun 4/02, Grand Princess 12/01, Radiance of the Seas 4/01, Sea Princess 11/00, Disney Magic 11/99, Sea Princess 4/99, Dawn Princess 3/98, Leeward 4/97, Royal Majesty 1/96, Horizon 11/94, Viking Serenade 7/94, Westward 7/93, QE2 11/84, QE2 6/79

Old May 26th, 2010, 11:26 AM
5,000+ Club

Thanks for the pictures. Looking forward more than ever to the November TA.

Old May 26th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Looks great

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa@cruisecritic View Post
Cruise Critic Editor in Chief Carolyn Spencer Brown was invited to spend the final few days of Constellation's recent, massive refit at the shipyard and en route to Amsterdam for an exclusive look at the ship's final stages of transformation.

What do you think? Have they made Constellation too much like the Solstice class ships? Come along on the journey in this three-part virtual slideshow - and tell us what you think about the changes.
The ship looks great. Never like those original Caribbean color. The new decor and colors are much more classic and look like a fine Hotel.

When will they redo the other three ship? I think the Consteelation was the last of the class and yet is the first to be updated?

I have sailed on two of the four several times and the only thing I don't like about these ships is there is no 360 degree promenade deck.

Old May 26th, 2010, 02:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile Oooooooooooooooh!

Uber-nice! Looking forward to seeing it all in person next February!

Old May 26th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by usha View Post
Uber-nice! Looking forward to seeing it all in person next February!
We are also looking forward to seeing it all in person, and we are also on the 2/26/11 sailing. Everything looks great in the photos posted.