Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines

Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews from real cruisers and compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals.

Write a Carnival Review

NEW! Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call

Old June 10th, 2010, 04:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

June 5th, 2010

MOBILE, Ala. -- Despite oil washing onto Alabama's shores, Carnival Cruise Line said Saturday that the Elation's itinerary was not changed because of the oil in the Gulf of Mexico.

A five-day cruise, departing Mobile today and headed to the Caribbean, was not expected to alter its route, according to Carnival spokesman Vance Gulliksen.

Oil has been spotted on Alabama beaches and oil sheen was seen in areas of Mobile Bay.

The cruise line has not reported any oil on the Elation since the Deepwater Horizon rig exploded April 20. The Elation first arrived in Mobile on May 15, replacing the Fantasy. Gulliksen said that none of Carnival's cruises departing from the Gulf Coast have been affected by the spill.

Old June 10th, 2010, 05:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

I think we know how poorly the experts do at accurately predicting the path of a hurricane more than a couple of days out, and they have lots of experience with those.

Old June 10th, 2010, 05:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

They were dead on predicting when and where the oil would hit the Florida Panhandle.
As far as predicting Hurricanes I think they do a jam up job, especially three days out
Not too long ago I remember when they didn't have a clue as to where or when it would hit
I’m waiting for the new estimate of the escaping oil, should be out today or tomorrow. BP has been lying all along.

Last edited by RVman; June 10th, 2010 at 05:30 PM.

Old June 10th, 2010, 06:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

They are doing better at predicting the paths of hurricanes, but at one or two weeks out the different models are extremely divergent.

The oil is not a single entity like a hurricane and I doubt winds are going to have much of an effect on subsurface oil. Even the oil on the surface is not one continuous pool, but lots of pools or varying sizes. As time goes on, the spill is going to disperse in lots of directions, which will hasten its demise.

I put no faith in the ability of any model to accurately predict where the oil will be in a week, much less months from now.

Old June 10th, 2010, 06:14 PM
Cool Cruiser

If you read my post it stated 8-14 days out, I guess we shall see just how accurate they are this time next week.
I agree long term prediction is a guessing game and I think this years Tropical Season will play a larger part than anything.
First tho, we need to get it shut down , I know we both agree on that

Old June 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVman View Post
Here they are reporting that in 8 - 14 days from now show a southeasterly wind regime, which would prevent any further progress of the oil eastwards along the Florida Panhandle, and would tend to bring significant amounts of oil back to the shores of eastern Louisiana the end of next week.
If that turns out to be the case then your good fortune would be most unwelcomed by the people in Louisiana. The only good (if you can call it that) direction for the bulk of the oil to take would be a southward drift away from all coastal states and out into the middle of the Gulf. We know it's not likely the area will experience strong northern winds at this time of the year since cold fronts don't make it down this far in the summer. I have found that since the spill started a more accurate indicator of the spill's movement has been the currents rather than the winds. What we need is a currents forecast for the next week or two showing the direction of the coastal and offshore currents in the Gulf of Mexico. I'm having trouble finding one that goes out more than a day or two so if anyone (calling Sarge ) can find a map showing the Gulf of Mexico currents forecast for the next week or so please post it here.

Old June 10th, 2010, 06:46 PM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sargent_Schultz View Post
They are doing better at predicting the paths of hurricanes, but at one or two weeks out the different models are extremely divergent.

The oil is not a single entity like a hurricane and I doubt winds are going to have much of an effect on subsurface oil. Even the oil on the surface is not one continuous pool, but lots of pools or varying sizes. As time goes on, the spill is going to disperse in lots of directions, which will hasten its demise.

I put no faith in the ability of any model to accurately predict where the oil will be in a week, much less months from now.
Iv watched on the news and when the wind blew more to the West, it took the oil away from florida it said ... so the winds have to have some effect, or the weathermen are all wrong.

As far as the models with dye ... that I agree with you ..they really dont know, its just wild guesses.

Last edited by firefly333; June 10th, 2010 at 06:47 PM.

Old June 10th, 2010, 07:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesRock View Post
If that turns out to be the case then your good fortune would be most unwelcomed by the people in Louisiana. The only good (if you can call it that) direction for the bulk of the oil to take would be a southward drift away from all coastal states and out into the middle of the Gulf. We know it's not likely the area will experience strong northern winds at this time of the year since cold fronts don't make it down this far in the summer. I have found that since the spill started a more accurate indicator of the spill's movement has been the currents rather than the winds. What we need is a currents forecast for the next week or two showing the direction of the coastal and offshore currents in the Gulf of Mexico. I'm having trouble finding one that goes out more than a day or two so if anyone (calling Sarge ) can find a map showing the Gulf of Mexico currents forecast for the next week or so please post it here.
I wish this on no one, we will all be dealing with this for a long long time. It’s like a bad dream and I can’t wake up. I get so upset that I have to turn the TV.

Old June 10th, 2010, 09:50 PM
10,000+ Club

BP

Busted Pipe

Barack's Problem

I am sure there are others out there.

Dave
CCL Breeze 01/31/15

Past Cruises: (228 days at sea) (32-CCL; 8-NCL; 1-US Navy)
CCL Conquest 09/02/07
CCL Triumph 09/05/11; 02/13/10
CCL Fantasy 11/11/09; 02/07/09; 11/01/08; 04/10/08; 10/11/07; 09/17/07; 01/18/07; 11/27/06; 10/30/06
CCL Holiday 11/02/09; 09/22/08; 8/30/08; 01/29/07; 12/04/06; 10/23/06; 09/30/06; 09/11/06; 09/03/05
CCL Ecstasy 02/05/11
CCL Elation 09/15/14; 09/01/14; 01/20/14; 10/07/13; 09/07/13; 10/09/10; 01/23/06
CCL Magic 3/4/12 (Milestone)
CCL Breeze 1/19/13
CCL Sunshine 2/23/14
NCL Star 11/18/12
NCL Spirit 11/22/09; 11/03/07
NCL Sun 02/09/08; 01/23/07; 10/23/05
NCL Jewel 10/13/13
NCL Dream 10/31/04
USS Frederick LST-1184 12/14/81 (USMC)

I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy.

Old June 10th, 2010, 10:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly333 View Post
Iv watched on the news and when the wind blew more to the West, it took the oil away from florida it said ... so the winds have to have some effect, or the weathermen are all wrong.

As far as the models with dye ... that I agree with you ..they really dont know, its just wild guesses.
Much of the oil isn't on the surface. Of what you can see on the surface, yes, winds can push it around.

Old June 11th, 2010, 12:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Before the Erato terminal was constructed, only a lucky few were able to park at the port as the lot was small (on the site of what is now the Erato). Fulton Garage held a large portion of the parking. I don't know how much more parking will be needed, but I do wonder if they will use the Fulton Garage for Voyager's parking. The Julia terminals do not have any parking to my knowledge. I haven't cruised anything other than Carnival so I don't know where the Spirit passengers park or what terminal they use. I guess I'm just trying to say that I believe N.O. can handle more/bigger/newer ships. I am excited to hear of all this news. I was telling my DH on the last cruise that it was sad to see the Julia terminal in such disrepair. I remember hearing that when they built the Conquest that they did it with New Orleans in mind. I personally loved that ship. It does sound like "Magic" is very much a New Orleans style name. But, I have to agree that Conquest gets top dollar in Galveston and wouldn't be shocked if they put it there.
Holiday 9/18/04 N.O. (Hurricane Ivan 2-day to nowhere)
Elation 2/25/06 Galveston
Carnival Victory 7/1/06 NYC (Thanks to Free Cruise Bingo)
Carnival Fantasy 2/18/08 & 6/13/09 NOLA
Carnival Triumph 12/31/09 & 12/16/10 NOLA
Carnival Conquest 5/5/13 NOLA Eastern

Old June 11th, 2010, 05:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

Angry

are they ever gonna get a cap on that well!!!!!

Old June 13th, 2010, 09:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglesRock View Post
So have you guys started making room for the Carnival Magic yet?

Just back from the Triumph. Found out that the Magic is definitely going to Galveston. No word yet on the changes in NO.
Also, all arrival and departures went as scheduled. As always, had a great cruise.

Old June 13th, 2010, 09:35 PM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by exempt View Post
Just back from the Triumph. Found out that the Magic is definitely going to Galveston. No word yet on the changes in NO.
Also, all arrival and departures went as scheduled. As always, had a great cruise.
Thats what the FCC agent on Triumph told us too ... but until its announced by Carnival ...its not set in stone. Wish they would tell us already. ..and not just from employees, for real so we can see the schedule and pricing.

Old June 13th, 2010, 10:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefly333 View Post
Thats what the FCC agent on Triumph told us too ... but until its announced by Carnival ...its not set in stone. Wish they would tell us already. ..and not just from employees, for real so we can see the schedule and pricing.

Agree!

I'm not sure which ship I'm hoping for in NO. I love the Conquest class but have been on her several times now.
For me personally the Dream class is not appealing. I really like having the promenade used for the 'inside' part of my cruise and can't really see how well it will work with people constantly moving from inside to outside on this deck.
Also, I prefer my Empress deck balcony to any other cabins and don't know how I would like looking out over a deck rather than my beautiful sea view.
But of course I could be pleasantly surprised should I ever cruise this class ship.

Old June 18th, 2010, 12:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Just thought I'd update for anyone who might be interested in the original question. We did watch the Triumph sail away in New Orleans. It sailed at 5pm, one hour late. They were still loading things until around 4:30pm. We did have some thunderstorms come through around the scheduled departure time and they may have been waiting on those to quit so the passengers could actually enjoy the sailaway. Thankfully, the sun did come out and we were able to watch them from the Riverwalk.

p.s. My little girl cried because she wanted to go on the "big boat" to the ocean! She loves cruising as much as I do, I think!
Holiday 9/18/04 N.O. (Hurricane Ivan 2-day to nowhere)
Elation 2/25/06 Galveston
Carnival Victory 7/1/06 NYC (Thanks to Free Cruise Bingo)
Carnival Fantasy 2/18/08 & 6/13/09 NOLA
Carnival Triumph 12/31/09 & 12/16/10 NOLA
Carnival Conquest 5/5/13 NOLA Eastern

Old June 18th, 2010, 12:17 AM
50,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruzzza View Post
Just thought I'd update for anyone who might be interested in the original question. We did watch the Triumph sail away in New Orleans. It sailed at 5pm, one hour late. They were still loading things until around 4:30pm. We did have some thunderstorms come through around the scheduled departure time and they may have been waiting on those to quit so the passengers could actually enjoy the sailaway. Thankfully, the sun did come out and we were able to watch them from the Riverwalk.

p.s. My little girl cried because she wanted to go on the "big boat" to the ocean! She loves cruising as much as I do, I think!
Thats cute about your little girl. Iv sailed 1 hour late last Dec on Triumph, no excuses needed ...sometimes its just late.