Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Arrival Time at Cape Liberty Bayonne, NJ?

What is the optimal time to arrive at the port prior to the cruise? All the doumentation says 2:00 PM.

Sounds to me it could be zoo like! Any suggestions?

We are traveling with a small child and are trying to make this as easy as possible. The first day is always stressful and I'm trying to limit that as much as possible!

Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

We've always gotten there around 11AM

Monarch of the Seas - 6/1992
Majesty of the Seas - 8/1998
Celebrity Galaxy - 8/2002
NCL Dawn - 4/2004
RCCL - Voyager of the Seas 8/2005
RCCL - Explorer of the Seas 8/2006
RCCL - Explorer of the Seas 8/2007
RCCL - Explorer of the Seas 2/2008
RCCL - Freedom of the Seas 8/2008
Carnival Pride - 8/2009
RCCL - Oasis of the Seas 8/2010
NCL Jewel - 8/2011
Celebrity - Summit 8/2012
NCL Gem - 9/2013
Celebrity - Summit 8/2014 - Missed Bermuda

Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:46 AM
10,000+ Club

How small a child? We like to arrive around 10:30. My mother boards in a transport chair and I find it less stressful and confusing to be there early. By the time we park the car, get through security, and check in, it is almost time to board. The waiting area is large and they serve coffee, tea, water and cookies. Similar to an airport gate lounge, but much bigger. With a small child you could stand by the window and watch what is going on outside. Once you have your seapass cards, I think you could even go outside again - just ask how you would do that - to the left is the handicapped parking area and you would get a good view of the ship and the port activity from along that fence.

If you are among the first to board, you can get to the Windjammer before it becomes chaotic - perhaps a window table to see what's going on. By the time you are finished lunch your cabin may be ready. If not, you can explore the ship.

Carol

Old August 3rd, 2010, 10:54 AM
10,000+ Club

We got there around 10:45am and the lines to check in were short. They had a big sign that said boarding would start at 12:15pm. By the time we dropped off our luggage, parked and checked in it was about 11:15am. We sat in the waiting area where they had cookies and juice available. The first bus started boarding to take us to the ship at noon.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 11:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks! Our little guy is 8 Months. He's very much occupied by everything that is going on so I love your idea of getting up to windjammer early for a seat with a view.

This is our first RCCL cruise and we are very much looking foward to it.

Thanks you again. We will aim to get there before noon.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 3rd, 2010, 12:06 PM
10,000+ Club

Don't "aim to get there before noon" - just do it. There can be a huge difference in the traffic line and the check in congestion - before 11 am is generally OK but after 11 can be really bad.

Carol

Old August 3rd, 2010, 12:11 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The 9-day can get in late and then it is indeed a zoo! The traffic getting to the ship can be hellish! One way in and one way out. If you're going on the 9-day, meaning the one before is the 5-day, you don't have much to worry about because that one always gets in early in the morning. You'll only have to worry about getting off the ship and getting picked up or driving away.

Song of Norway-Nov 1991 * Majesty Of The Seas-Sept 1994 * Diamond Princess-April 2004 *
Mariner Of The Seas-April 2006 *
Carnival Valor-March 2007 * Explorer Of The Seas-April 2008
Explorer Of The Seas-July 2009 * Oasis of the Seas-July 2010 * Carnival Glory -July 2011 *
Enchantment Of The Seas-Oct 2011 * Enchantment Of The Seas-Oct 2011 * Allure of the Seas-April 2012 *
Brilliance of the Seas-Nov 2012 * Celebrity Equinox-July 2013 * Celebrity Summit-July 2014 *
Quantum of the Seas-Nov 2014 *
Quantum of the Seas-Dec 2014 * Liberty of the Seas-July 2015

Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:39 PM
Cool Cruiser

Talk about nuts! We sailed in May and were on the ship that was delayed by a crew member going overboard while they were heading back to Bayonne. When we got to the dock area the traffic was backed to the highway. But even with the situation they handled it with great efficency and professionalism. Once I got the car parked I met DW and DS in the terminal and headed to priority check-in to find the computer system crashed so the Set-Sail pass was basically useless. Oh well we got on the ship with very little hassle albeit 8 hours late. Muster drill was moved to Sunday and the time shift to noon Sunday, instead of 2am. As I have heard, RCI are experts at moving folks in an efficent and non-"hearding" manner. They are.

So get there about 11 and enjoy the view of the city and the Lady. Don't forget to pause a second when you see the Teardrop" 911 memorial. It is a gift from Russia to commerate the great loss suffered on 9/11/01

"Illitgetimi Non Carborundum" [kmt]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.”
Mark Twain.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:44 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by 138east View Post
Don't "aim to get there before noon" - just do it. There can be a huge difference in the traffic line and the check in congestion - before 11 am is generally OK but after 11 can be really bad.
I agree. I also want to add that it did not get less congested as it got later: we looked outside about 2pm and there was a huge line crawling into the dropoff area.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 01:46 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicKen View Post
So get there about 11 and enjoy the view of the city and the Lady. Don't forget to pause a second when you see the Teardrop" 911 memorial. It is a gift from Russia to commerate the great loss suffered on 9/11/01

Pic of the teardrop from the pool deck from our 2009 cruise.

Song of Norway-Nov 1991 * Majesty Of The Seas-Sept 1994 * Diamond Princess-April 2004 *
Mariner Of The Seas-April 2006 *
Carnival Valor-March 2007 * Explorer Of The Seas-April 2008
Explorer Of The Seas-July 2009 * Oasis of the Seas-July 2010 * Carnival Glory -July 2011 *
Enchantment Of The Seas-Oct 2011 * Enchantment Of The Seas-Oct 2011 * Allure of the Seas-April 2012 *
Brilliance of the Seas-Nov 2012 * Celebrity Equinox-July 2013 * Celebrity Summit-July 2014 *
Quantum of the Seas-Nov 2014 *
Quantum of the Seas-Dec 2014 * Liberty of the Seas-July 2015

Old August 3rd, 2010, 02:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
The first bus started boarding to take us to the ship at noon.
OK I need some help now. This bus thing, how does that work when you return? What I mean is my son is dropping us off and picking us up. Will that occur at the same location? Thanks in advance.

Freedom of the Seas 11/14
Allure of the Seas 12/11
Exploer of the Seas 11/10
Freedom of the Seas 1/10
Enchantment of the Seas 11/05
Rhapsody of the Seas 1/05
Mariner of the Seas 11/04
Navigator of the Seas 11/03
Monarch of the Seas 11/02
Explorer of the Seas 12/01
Legend of the Seas 2/01
Splendour of the Seas 8/99
Rhapsody of the Seas 3/98

Old August 3rd, 2010, 03:44 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by KENLORJUS View Post
OK I need some help now. This bus thing, how does that work when you return? What I mean is my son is dropping us off and picking us up. Will that occur at the same location? Thanks in advance.
Yes. The bus brings you from and to the parking/dropoff area to the ship's waiting area. He picks you up at the parking/dropoff area. It's a very short trip.

On the way home, you get off the ship, pick up your luggage, go through customs, and then board a bus which brings you back to the area you were in when you arrived.

Last edited by marci22; August 3rd, 2010 at 03:46 PM.

Old August 3rd, 2010, 05:07 PM
Cool Cruiser

Wow. I'm glad I came here to ask.

Typically what time does the ship get in after the 9 day if its running late? When can I expect to get off the ship?

Old August 3rd, 2010, 05:37 PM
10,000+ Club

Just a note to everyone about the ship arriving late. Plan to monitor CC the day before you sail. I don't know about the ship arriving a little late, but if something happens that will significantly delay the Explorer's arrival (i.e. medical emergency, man overboard, etc), it is likely that that info will be available on these forums.

The bus is just a quick ride across the "tarmac". If you've ever flown in Europe and ridden a bus out to the plane, this is what it is like. Not a big deal, but an extra step in the boarding process.

Carol

Old August 3rd, 2010, 06:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcapp View Post

Typically what time does the ship get in after the 9 day if its running late? ?
That all depends on how late it is running.

Old August 4th, 2010, 02:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are traveling to Bayonne from Long Island, can anyone suggest the best route ? I see several ways to go ?
Celebrity Summit August 2011
Carnival Paradise June 2012
Explorer of the Seas July 2013
Carnival Conquest August 2013

Old August 4th, 2010, 02:24 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbtnewcruiser View Post
We are traveling to Bayonne from Long Island, can anyone suggest the best route ? I see several ways to go ?
From Queens, we take the Queensboro Bridge into Manhattan, the Lincoln Tunnel to NJ and the Turnpike South.

Coming back, the Verrazano is free, so you might want to consider Staten Island to the Verrazano to the BQE to the LIE or GCP.

In any case, it's not an easy ride.