Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
- Read thousands of Royal Caribbean Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Royal Caribbean Cruise Deals
- Write a Royal Caribbean Cruise Review
- Find Your Royal Caribbean Roll Call
See posts about:
Adventure of the Seas
Enchantment of the Seas
Independence of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
Quantum of the Seas
Splendour of the Seas

Allure of the Seas
Explorer of the Seas
Jewel of the Seas
Mariner of the Seas
Radiance of the Seas
Vision of the Seas

Anthem of the Seas
Freedom of the Seas
Legend of the Seas
Navigator of the Seas
Rhapsody of the Seas
Voyager of the Seas

Brilliance of the Seas
Grandeur of the Seas
Liberty of the Seas
Oasis of the Seas
Serenade of the Seas

Old August 13th, 2010, 01:44 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pedro View Post
In March 2010 RCL amended their prohibited items list and now scissors or knives with a blade lengths of under 4 inches are allowed. Up until that time scissors were being confiscated albeit on a rather hit or miss basis.

This list is available on RCL's website.
Make sure you tell that to the Rent-A-Cop.
PRINCESS ELITE
HAL ***
Click for Cruise list
Jim

Old August 13th, 2010, 02:13 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtutak View Post
Make sure you tell that to the Rent-A-Cop.

I agree! I thought for a few mins. last year my friend was not going to make it onboard..security was determinded her scissors were NOT allowed!

Karen

Old August 13th, 2010, 02:36 PM
20,000+ Club

We were on the check in line for the Liberty of the Seas last year. My husband had a lot of needs and one of them was that his feet needed to be bandaged every day. Both my SIL and my husband had packed scissors in their carry on bandaged and were stopped by security. The scissors were confiscated. I explained that they were needed on a daily basis for bandaging my husbands feet and for removing the old bandages...one pair of confiscated scissors were medical scissors. Security told me the scissors would be given back to me on board.
The next day I called for my scissors and was told that I would not get them back for the duration of the trip. I explained my situation, and told them that I was not going to take my husband down to the hospital area to have this procedure preformed. They still refused. I then asked to speak with someone higher up. I never lost my temper, raised my voice or even laughed (as I thought the whole thing was a little ridiculous) and I received a solution that we could all agree upon. They would send someone to my cabin with scissors and they would cut the bandages off and then wait until we bandaged my husbands feet.
Since we were in the royal suite they sent the concierge, who at this time was not the regular concierge. The poor person arrived, hair wet from having to jump into the shower, and preformed the required duty. I explained our dilemma and then informed this person that we did not change my husband's bandage at the same time each day. About fifteen minutes after the concierge left our room our door bell rang, and low and behold or scissors were given back to us.
I thought this was a long, but amusing story.

Old August 13th, 2010, 06:16 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

As a bit of history, we were scheduled to sail on the Liberty back on March 21, 2010. In January or February there was a cruise critic thread about scisssors being confiscated. We checked the list of prohibited items and sure enough scissors were not allowed.

Lola loves to crochet and of course needed scissors but the RCCL restrictions were more stringent than even the airlines and they were a no-no. I sent an e mail to Adam G's office detailing the need to have scissors for grooming, hobbies, medical needs, etc. and requested that they review the policy.

Within a few days I received a phone call and was advised that they agreed and that the scissor policy would be on the agenda of the next management meeting. After which I received another phone call advising that scissors with blades less than four inches were now accceptable.

We were elated that RCCL responded so quickly to rectify a policy that was excessively restrictive. Sometimes making a positive suggestion via the right channels triumphs over gripping.

We were very impressed with RCCL's executive office's can do attitude. At any rate the new policy went into effect in March 2010 and is reflected in RCCL's list of prohibited items. You shouldn't have any problem in the future.
ROYAL CARRIBEAN CRUISES: GRANDEUR May 2003 ~ SPLENDOR Nov 2003 ~ GRANDEUR Apr 2004 ~NAVIGATOR Dec 2004 ~ RHAPSODY Feb 2005 ~ RHAPSODY Aug 2005 ~ NAVIGATOR BTB NAVIGATOR Nov 2005 ~ BRILLIANCE Feb 2006 ~ RHAPSODY Apr 2006 ~ NAVIGATOR Jun 2006 ~ VISION Sep 2006 ~ FREEDOM Nov 2006 ~ BRILLIANCE Feb 2007 Panama Canal ~ EXPLORER Apr 2007 W Caribbean ~ RADIANCE Sep 28,2007, 15 Day Hawaii ~ RADIANCE B2B RADIANCE Jan 13 & Jan 19, 2008 E & W Caribbean ~ VOYAGER Mar 2 2008 W Caribbean ~ LIBERTY Sept 13 2008 E Caribbean ~ JEWEL Dec 8 2008 Panama Canal ~ VOYAGER Jan 18 2009 W Caribbean~ LIBERTY Oct 24, 2009 E Caribbean ~ OASIS Sept1, 2012 W Carribean ~ NAVIGATOR Nov 24, 2012 from New Orleans ~ ALLURE Apr 7,2013 from Ft Lauderdale ~ JEWEL ~ Aug 31, 2013 from San Juan ~ BRILLIANCE ~ Sep 22, 2013 from Boston ~SERENADE, Dec 12, 2013 from New Orleans ~ ALLURE, Feb 9, 2014, from Ft Lauderdale ** MAJESTY, Feb 16, 2014 from Miami ** SERENADE, Mar 29, 2014, from New Orleans ** VISION, Jun 9, 2014 from Ft Lauderdale ** NAVIGATOR B2B, Sep 7, Sep 14, 2014 from Galveston
ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES BOOKED: ** NAVIGATOR B2B, Oct 19, Oct 26, 2014 from Galveston ** SERENADE B2B2B, Nov 29, Dec 6, Dec 13, 2014 from New Orleans ** LEGEND, Mar 20, 2015 from Ft Lauderdale ** ADVENTURE B2B, Feb 1, Feb 8, 2015 from San Juan ** INDEPENDENCE B2B Sep 6, Sep 13, 2015 from Ft Lauderdale

Last edited by Don Pedro; August 13th, 2010 at 06:17 PM.

Old August 13th, 2010, 06:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

You cut your kids food with scissors? If he has braces he must be in at least middle school. Both of my boys have had or currently have braces. They would be mordified if I pulled out scissors to cut their food. Or even tried to cut their food for them. What do they do with their school lunch. Sorry, just curious.
RCI Explorer 2008 & 2010 (Autism on the Seas)
Carnival Pride 2009, 2012, 2014
Carnival Splendor 2013 (Make-A-Wish)

Old August 13th, 2010, 09:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

We haven't had problems with manicure scissors in our checked luggage.
Ask for a steak knife in the MDR & they will happily bring you one. In fact, once they realize why you need them your waiter or head waiter will even come & cut his food for him so you can eat your dinner while it is warm. My DD fractured a finger on each hand before one of our cruises which made it hard for her to hold the silverware right. Our waiter cut her meat for her each night. I was surprised they didn't come & try to feed her too!

Old August 14th, 2010, 01:08 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Does anyone know what the reasoning is behind not being allowed to bring on scissors? All the other lines allow them. I've never heard of scissors causing any problems unless someone was running with them and fell down or used them to vandalize.

If you want to do evil, just go to the dining room and get a steak knife or break a wine bottle for a weapon.

Just doesn't make sense to me.

Tucker in Texas

Old August 14th, 2010, 01:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

I always bring a scissors. Already on 4 cruises this year and have never had to give them up. But I guess in the future, I'll pack at least two pairs separately to be sure that I have at least one when I get on board.

Old August 14th, 2010, 01:28 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker in Texas View Post
Does anyone know what the reasoning is behind not being allowed to bring on scissors? All the other lines allow them. I've never heard of scissors causing any problems unless someone was running with them and fell down or used them to vandalize.

If you want to do evil, just go to the dining room and get a steak knife or break a wine bottle for a weapon.

Just doesn't make sense to me.

Tucker in Texas
There is NO reason here...just general rules, some that make no sense at all...when it comes to bureaucracies, there is very little rhyme or reason.

Old August 14th, 2010, 01:49 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Pedro View Post
Within a few days I received a phone call and was advised that they agreed and that the scissor policy would be on the agenda of the next management meeting. After which I received another phone call advising that scissors with blades less than four inches were now accceptable.

So apparently they ARE ALLOWED NOW, due to this poster's suggestion

INSPIRATION 3-Day FUNTIMES
http://m809.photobucket.com/albums--...times/?sa=trueInspiration (1/16/12)FUNTIMES 4-Day
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/group.php?groupid=233 DOUBLE NICKLE CRUISERS
http://boards.cruisecritic.co/group.php?groupid=12
http://boards.cruisecritic.co/group.php?groupid=26
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1501472 PARADISE Review
Inspiration Carnival Live Styx 9-15-15 http://s809.photobucket.com/user/ccr...20IN%20CONCERT

CRUISING NEXT ON CARNIVAL? 1/29/15 Imagination

------------PAST CRUISES----
ROYAL CARIBBEAN GOLD (3) Mariner 2x) & Monarch (1)
Celebrity Classic (1) Millenium (1)
Carnival Platinum (16) Elation (1), Pride (1), Splendor (1), Paradise (3), Inspiration (6) Miracle (1), Imagination (3/4)
Princess Gold (1) Emerald
Holland America 1Star (2) Oosterdam, Volendam

Old August 14th, 2010, 02:22 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmith View Post
There is NO reason here...just general rules, some that make no sense at all...when it comes to bureaucracies, there is very little rhyme or reason.
You are right! According to RCL corporate when someone created the list of banded items it evidently seemed appropriate, to that person, to include sharp objects like pocket knives and scissors.

Obviously they didn't give fully consider the ramifications. When I brought the issue to corporates attention they quickly amended the policy. They were in full agreement that the police was flawed. No one attempted to defend the policy they simply changed it. Can't ask for much more than that.
ROYAL CARRIBEAN CRUISES: GRANDEUR May 2003 ~ SPLENDOR Nov 2003 ~ GRANDEUR Apr 2004 ~NAVIGATOR Dec 2004 ~ RHAPSODY Feb 2005 ~ RHAPSODY Aug 2005 ~ NAVIGATOR BTB NAVIGATOR Nov 2005 ~ BRILLIANCE Feb 2006 ~ RHAPSODY Apr 2006 ~ NAVIGATOR Jun 2006 ~ VISION Sep 2006 ~ FREEDOM Nov 2006 ~ BRILLIANCE Feb 2007 Panama Canal ~ EXPLORER Apr 2007 W Caribbean ~ RADIANCE Sep 28,2007, 15 Day Hawaii ~ RADIANCE B2B RADIANCE Jan 13 & Jan 19, 2008 E & W Caribbean ~ VOYAGER Mar 2 2008 W Caribbean ~ LIBERTY Sept 13 2008 E Caribbean ~ JEWEL Dec 8 2008 Panama Canal ~ VOYAGER Jan 18 2009 W Caribbean~ LIBERTY Oct 24, 2009 E Caribbean ~ OASIS Sept1, 2012 W Carribean ~ NAVIGATOR Nov 24, 2012 from New Orleans ~ ALLURE Apr 7,2013 from Ft Lauderdale ~ JEWEL ~ Aug 31, 2013 from San Juan ~ BRILLIANCE ~ Sep 22, 2013 from Boston ~SERENADE, Dec 12, 2013 from New Orleans ~ ALLURE, Feb 9, 2014, from Ft Lauderdale ** MAJESTY, Feb 16, 2014 from Miami ** SERENADE, Mar 29, 2014, from New Orleans ** VISION, Jun 9, 2014 from Ft Lauderdale ** NAVIGATOR B2B, Sep 7, Sep 14, 2014 from Galveston
ROYAL CARIBBEAN CRUISES BOOKED: ** NAVIGATOR B2B, Oct 19, Oct 26, 2014 from Galveston ** SERENADE B2B2B, Nov 29, Dec 6, Dec 13, 2014 from New Orleans ** LEGEND, Mar 20, 2015 from Ft Lauderdale ** ADVENTURE B2B, Feb 1, Feb 8, 2015 from San Juan ** INDEPENDENCE B2B Sep 6, Sep 13, 2015 from Ft Lauderdale

Last edited by Don Pedro; August 14th, 2010 at 02:24 PM.

Old August 14th, 2010, 02:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

Well, I guess we could ask that they rigorously inform the rent-a-cops at the piers. You know their actions will not be changed any time soon.

Old August 14th, 2010, 03:05 PM
5,000+ Club

Make a print-out & show them that your are less than (bring a tape measure too to prove it!)

Prohibited items:
Firearms & Ammunition, including realistic replicas.
***Sharp Objects, including all knives and scissors with blade length 4 inches or more.
(Note: Personal grooming items such as safety razors are allowed.)
Illegal Drugs & Substances
Candles & Incense
Coffee Makers, Clothes Irons, & Hot Plates
Baseball Bats, Hockey Sticks, Cricket Bats, Bows & Arrows
Illegal Drugs
Skateboards & Surfboards
Martial Arts Gear
Self-Defense Gear, including handcuffs, pepper spray, night sticks.
Flammable Liquids and Explosives, including lighter fluid and fireworks.
HAM Radios
Dangerous Chemicals, including bleach and paint.
Alcoholic Beverages (Note: Alcoholic beverages that are purchased in ports-of-call or from shops onboard will be stored by the ship and delivered to you on the last day of the sailing. Alcoholic beverages seized on embarkation day will not be returned.)

INSPIRATION 3-Day FUNTIMES
http://m809.photobucket.com/albums--...times/?sa=trueInspiration (1/16/12)FUNTIMES 4-Day
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/group.php?groupid=233 DOUBLE NICKLE CRUISERS
http://boards.cruisecritic.co/group.php?groupid=12
http://boards.cruisecritic.co/group.php?groupid=26
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1501472 PARADISE Review
Inspiration Carnival Live Styx 9-15-15 http://s809.photobucket.com/user/ccr...20IN%20CONCERT

CRUISING NEXT ON CARNIVAL? 1/29/15 Imagination

------------PAST CRUISES----
ROYAL CARIBBEAN GOLD (3) Mariner 2x) & Monarch (1)
Celebrity Classic (1) Millenium (1)
Carnival Platinum (16) Elation (1), Pride (1), Splendor (1), Paradise (3), Inspiration (6) Miracle (1), Imagination (3/4)
Princess Gold (1) Emerald
Holland America 1Star (2) Oosterdam, Volendam

Old August 14th, 2010, 03:40 PM
10,000+ Club

I always bring scissors in my checked luggage. I just measured them and the blades are 4 in, & with the handle, 6 in. I have never had a problem.