Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Cruise Critic News & Feature Articles Up-to-the minute News & Feature Articles from Cruise Critic

Old October 19th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Sr. Manager, Community
Cruise Critic

Post Are Great Cruise Deals Just About...Over?

Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Are Great Cruise Deals Just About...Over?

Read the entire news article...

Ad Sponsored By
Old October 19th, 2010, 03:49 PM
20,000+ Club

What is a good deal for one might not be for another. I have two cruises booked for 2011. In one case the price of the cruise has almost doubled since I booked it. In the other the price when down the day after I booked. I (and my friend) were both able to take advantage of the new lower fare.

Old October 19th, 2010, 03:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraS View Post
Cruise Critic has just posted the following news:

Are Great Cruise Deals Just About...Over?

Read the entire news article...
I don't know what fantasy world the cruise executives are living in, but in my opinion, the majority of people still feel as though we are in a recession and economic conditions are not getting any better. For most people, a cruise is not a necessity, but a nicety. If you have less disposable income, a big-ticket item like a cruise gets put on the back burner. In addition, unless you live near a port that you can drive to, air fares and fees are outrageous. As much as I would like to take a European, South American, or Australian cruise, the air fares required to get there put them out of my price range. Maybe luxury cruise lines can be optimistic, but the lines that cater to working folk like me probably need to be cautious. If good cruise offers are not available, no cruise lines will be seeing any of my money.

Cheers! lj77346

Old October 19th, 2010, 06:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj77346 View Post
I don't know what fantasy world the cruise executives are living in, but in my opinion, the majority of people still feel as though we are in a recession and economic conditions are not getting any better. For most people, a cruise is not a necessity, but a nicety. If you have less disposable income, a big-ticket item like a cruise gets put on the back burner. In addition, unless you live near a port that you can drive to, air fares and fees are outrageous. As much as I would like to take a European, South American, or Australian cruise, the air fares required to get there put them out of my price range. Maybe luxury cruise lines can be optimistic, but the lines that cater to working folk like me probably need to be cautious. If good cruise offers are not available, no cruise lines will be seeing any of my money.

Cheers! lj77346
You took the words right out of my mouth! We took a European cruise recently, but probably wouldn't have booked it now - we booked it back in 2009 - when things were not so bleak as they are now and we felt fortunate to be able to go. We sure couldn't go on the same cruise with the rates Azamara is charging now!

Cruise customers in the USA face a lot of challenges to be able to cruise at all right now.....with the downturn in our economy and huge losses in savings and investments, foreclosures and short sales and high unemployment, I don't see how the cruise lines think they can fill the ships with higher fares!

Oceania Riviera 1/4/2015

Old October 19th, 2010, 08:47 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Since retirees still constitute the majority of passengers for cruise lines, the fact that the Baby Boomer generation is now coming of age (retirement age, that is), bodes well for the cruise lines.
All they have to do is educate them, the ones that haven't cruised yet, as to what they are missing.

Maybe it's time to reincarnate (now don't roll your eyes).......The Love Boat!
Or at least an updated version, perhaps shot on the Oasis?

Last edited by bob brown; October 19th, 2010 at 08:50 PM.

Old October 19th, 2010, 08:50 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by lj77346 View Post
I don't know what fantasy world the cruise executives are living in ...

Cheers! lj77346
Well, if you were earning in the upper half of six figures and could cruise for free, you would have a rosy view of the world also.

Old November 3rd, 2010, 03:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Bright or gloomy

I hereby declare that the U.S, cruise market overall will face some tough times. Many of the well-to-do seniors suddenly have to help children or grandchildren (or brothers or sisters) and have less discretionary income. As to baby boomers, many have nothing but debt and are trapped in houses they cannot sell. Also, they may be the last generation with decent pension benefits.
The growth of cruising will be in Asia where people, happily for lines, love to gamble. But the Asian product is unlikely to have much appeal among non-Asians, even though the language questions are resolved.

Old November 4th, 2010, 01:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Happy Days are Here Again!

Not! At least for most people I know, since some are still losing jobs. But for those fortunate enough to have disposable income, there is demand out there, assuming the itinerary and timing is right. Cruising in October, November and December is not as popular due to the weather and the fact that many cannot or don't want to be gone from home during the Christmas holidays. For those who are willing to travel then, there are some bargains.

I have seen a lot of cruises offereed to Asia recently, by the high end lines. Then I see subsequent brochures and communications with the prices slashed. One commenter's remarks about this were right on.
We are looking for another cruise for 2011, but there's no way we would ever be interested in cruising in southeast Asia, India or the Middle East. It's just not on our radar of places we want to visit.

We would be happy to return again and again to Europe. It seems a lot of the small to mid size ships cruising Europe keep going with the same routes that a lot of folks have already done, multiple times. Oceania opened up some new routes that explore Spain, Portugal and western France and they were massively overbooked. I'd personally love an "all Italy" cruise and more overnights in some ports like Venice. I'm looking into a Scandinavia cruise for 2011 and am trying to sort out between Seabourn, Silverseas and Regent Seven Seas.

Abercrombie & Kent -L'Abercrombie-Burgundy
AMA Waterways-Amadagio-Tulip Time Holland & Belgium
Cruise West-Spirit of Endeavor-California Wine Country
Holland America-Westerdam-Alaska Inside Passage
Oceania-Insignia-Barcelona to Amsterdam
Seabourn Sojourn-Scandinavia & St Petersburg
Windstar-Windstar-Athens to Rome
Windstar-Windstar-Rome to Barcelona
Windstar-Windspirit-St. Thomas to St. Thomas
'Lady Diana'-Door County , WI