Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Galveston boarding time???

We're booked on the Ecstasy out of Galveston. Our boarding pass says boarding is 12:30 to 2:30 pm. Does boarding actually start earlier?

Old October 23rd, 2010, 02:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Boarding has been known to begin as early as 11:30am. A lot depends on how fast they are able to get the previous guest off and started on turnaround.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 03:30 PM
10,000+ Club

I've been on the Ecstasy at 11:15.

Get there at about 10:30, no later, if you want to board early.

Old October 23rd, 2010, 05:23 PM
Cool Cruiser

We had a delayed boarding because the ship couldn't come in due to fog. It wasn't fun... There is NOT enough space in the terminal for all passengers. We stood in the terminal for about 4 hours. Some folks were still outside for that same period. So, be flexible if you go very early!
Carnival Triumph ..... January 2, 2012
Carnival Conquest ... February 27, 2011
Carnival Ecstasy ..... March 30, 2009

Old October 23rd, 2010, 06:31 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownmom View Post
We had a delayed boarding because the ship couldn't come in due to fog. It wasn't fun... There is NOT enough space in the terminal for all passengers. We stood in the terminal for about 4 hours. Some folks were still outside for that same period. So, be flexible if you go very early!

My understanding is with the changes being made for the Magic changes about boarding will also happen. If the ship is delayed in arriving you will be able to leave head out (maybe over to the strand area) and return at a given time even after you have checked in. It would be like a normal day port stop going through security and everything to "reboard" the ship. If they can make this happen this year it will be much nicer for those who do happen to hit a fog delay!

49 Cruises and counting....

39-Carnival (Diamond gotta love those perks!!)
Holiday x4, Elation x3, Ecstasy x6,Celebration, Imagination, Conquest x6, Destiny x3, Triumph x5, Magic x8, Sunshine, Dream
6-Princess (gone Platinum!)
2-RCI
1-Holland American
1-NCL

Old October 24th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

If you have computer access the morning of your departure, check the webcam at the port between 7:00 and 8:00 AM so you can see if the ship arrived in port on time. To find the webcam link, I just Google "Galveston cruise cam."

The webcam is down occasionally, but it generally works fine and updates every few seconds.

Old October 24th, 2010, 08:52 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRock59 View Post
My understanding is with the changes being made for the Magic changes about boarding will also happen. If the ship is delayed in arriving you will be able to leave head out (maybe over to the strand area) and return at a given time even after you have checked in. It would be like a normal day port stop going through security and everything to "reboard" the ship. If they can make this happen this year it will be much nicer for those who do happen to hit a fog delay!

If I recall correctly there's also a plan in place to send a text message to those who have elected to leave the terminal during a delay to inform them that boarding will or has commenced.

Pretty neat!

Old October 24th, 2010, 09:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default FOG IN GALVESTON/delayed boarding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtownmom View Post
We'be been on the Voyager out of Galveston twice when the channel was fogged in. The first time happened to also be Madri Gras weekend. The city hadn't removed all the closures from the night before. Nightmare. We couldn't get into the EZ Cruise Parking lot because the it was still full and once we got on the shuttle, we couldn't get to the ship because of the traffic jam and detours.
We were the lucky ones who did get into the cruise terminal before the closed it due to code restrictions of live bodies. We finally got on the ship around 5. We were smarter the next time having this vast experience of "no ship anywhere in sight." We got to EZ Cruise early and they found a spot for us. So we walked to the cruise terminal and checked in. Oh, that was SO smart. We then wandered over to the Strand, ate, shopped which made those long hours go a little faster. I can't remember if we pulled our luggage or if we got on the shuttle. Since we were already checked in, all we had to do was hand over our luggage to the porters. We got to skip those long, impossible lines and were the first ones on the ship. Let's hope there is no fog and no Hurricane Richard playing tricks on us October 31st!

Old October 24th, 2010, 09:49 AM
50,000+ Club

Iv managed to board even before 11 am .. its variable.