Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Holiday Exchange 2013

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Holiday Exchange 2013
Celebrate the Holidays of Season with your Cruise Critic Friends -- Halloween - Thanksgiving - Hanukkah - Christmas - Kwanza - The New Year

Old December 2nd, 2010, 03:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thank you!

You all got me so excited - this is our very 1st cruise - leaving on FOS 12/19! So, ran to Target yesterday and bought green & red tinsel to put in the room and/or on the balcony - and some battery operated twinkly lights. Even got some to decorate my Mom's room for her! Can you wrap the tinsel or lights around something on the balcony?

My sister says I've gone off the deep end, buying stuff for this cruise - I say we are there for Christmas, I want decorations!!! Plus, I have decorations to put up on 12/25 - our sons 21st birthday! Thank you all!

Old December 3rd, 2010, 02:35 AM
Cool Cruiser

Actually, marshmallows strung might be cute...or take bigger ones and make snow men out of them, then hang....

Old December 4th, 2010, 12:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnf View Post
Where can you find the solar lights, have never seen them before.
Thanks
Walmart or Canadian tire in Canada. You can order online too!

2013 December Hawaii 15 day Cruise aboard Carnival Miracle.
2013 March break aboard Carnival Glory
2012 Christmas cruise on Freedom of the Seas
2012 Disney Fantasy
2012 carnival Freedom March break
2011 Disney Dream (December)
2011/12 Glory New Year's Cruise B2B
2011 Glory Christmas Cruise
2011 Destiny March Break
2011 Destiny Jan. 6th
2011 B2B Destiny Jan. 1st
2010 Miracle Dec 21st, Christmas cruise
2010 March break -Imagination
2009 Disney Wonder
2009 Carnival Valor
2008 Carnival Imagination

Old December 4th, 2010, 01:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

We got window clings for the balcony door and mirrors, a flag for our door and a package of stick on bows. We wont be on for Christmas but close enough to want some holiday spirit!

Old December 4th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

We did an Xmas cruise with Regent a few years ago. We strung some string across one side of the room where we hung decorations purchased in each port of call, as well as some we brought with us. Also put an ornament on our front door. Being Regent, we didn't have to worry about anyone stealing our door ornament -- people on this level of cruise simply don't do that sort of thing.

#1 Grk Isles Jupiter;#2 E.Carib Rotterdam;#3 St. Lawr. Rv Stephan Batory;#4 W.Carib Song of Norway;#5 E.Carib Paquet Rhapsody;#6 PanCanal Royal Princess;#7 E.Carib Norway;#8 E.Carib Homeric;#9 S.Carib Rotterdam;#10 Hawaii Independence;#11 S.Carib RV Star;#12 Bermuda Horizon;#13 S.Carib Song of Norway;#14 Bahamas WindSpirit;#15 E.Carib Regal Princess;#16 S.Carib Cunard Countess;#17 E.Carib Amer. Advent.;#18 NewEng. SB Pride;#19 Mex Riv. CCL Holiday;#20 S.Carib Silver Wind;#21 W.Carib Sun Princess;#22 E.Carib Westerdam;#23 Alaska Crystal Symphony;#24 Italy Star Clipper;#25 S.Carib Norw. Sea;#26 Burgundy Cnl Lafayette;#27 Polynesia SS Paul Gauguin;#28 W.Carib Enchant. Capri;#29 Grk Iles WindStar;#30 S.Carib Crown Dynasty;#31 Malaga - Soton Caronia;#32 FL - BA Crystal Harmony;#33 Lisbon - Rome SS Song of Flower;#34 Grenadines Star Clipper;#35 Venice - Barcelona SS Mariner;#36 S.Carib SS Navigator;#37 W.Carib SS Navigator;#38 Alaska Zaandam;#39 W.Carib SS Voyager;#40 E.Carib Carib. Princess;#41 Baltic SS Navigator;#42 NewEng QM2;#43 Marquesas SS Paul Gauguin;#44 Rome - Venice Pac. Princess;#45 Venice - Fla Emer. Princess;#46 Valpo - BA Radiance of Seas;#47 W. Carib Veendam;#48 Grk Isles/Turkey Solstice;#49 NewEng Constellation ;#50 Hawaii - LA Golden Princess;#51 PanCanal Crystal Symphony;#52 Soton - NY QM2;#53 Norway SB Sojourn;#54 BVI WindSpirit;#55 Soton - NY QM2;#56 Singapore - Sydney SS Voyager;#57 Sydney - Auckland SS Voyager;#58 Soton - NY QM2;#59 S.Carib WindSurf;#60 British Isles SB Pride; #61 Costa Rica SeaDream I;

Old December 6th, 2010, 07:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thumbs up Decorations and Lights

We had no problem with anyone taking any of our decorations. I guess it could always happen but I don't think its rampant. Anyway, I bought lots of dollar store goodies and used them in the cabin and on the door, I definitely didn't put anything out there that would upset me if it disappeared .

For the light on the balcony, it has depended on the ship. Last year on the Costa Atlantica we hung them over the overhead lights, in the past (I know for sure on the Radiance of the Seas) we wound them around the railing. I also always bring some duct tape. It can get very windy on the balcony so make sure your lights are secure.

I hope everyone has a great Christmas on their cruise (and I wish I was going too!).

3 Carnival - Early 80's, Song of America 8/85, Song of Norway 10/86, Sitmar Fairwind 87, Sovereign of the Seas 6/88, Song of America 12/88, Costa Riviera 90, Celebrity Zenith 5/92, Costa Allegra 4/94, Costa Victoria 11/96, Celebrity Horizon 4/99, Splendor of the Seas 12/99, Norwegian Star 11/02, Caribbean Princess 9/04, Radiance of the Seas 12/04, Caribbean Princess 10/05, Voyager of the Seas 1/07, Costa Fortuna 12/07, Independence of the Seas 11/08, Costa Atlantica 12/09, Celebrity Mercury 3/10, Celebrity Mercury 11/10, MSC Poesia 12/11, Celebrity Summit 5/12, Grand Princess 11/12, Freedom of the Seas 4/13, Brilliance of the Seas 11/13, Celebrity Constellation 1/14, Celebrity Summit 6/14

Old December 11th, 2010, 04:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

We Holiday cruise every year, so my wife who is artsy craftsy, always puts something on our door, holiday ornaments and wrapping paper, etc, we always get cheery comments from staff and cruisers. We are thrilled to spread the Christmas joy! Happy Holidays everyone.

Old November 23rd, 2012, 09:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Cruise4Fun View Post
We are taking a small tree and lights for our cabin. We plan to either buy or make something to hang on our door. We were wondering if there was something on the ship we could use for ornaments (popcorn, cereal, etc.). I was thinking of taking marshmallows to go in our hot chocolate.

We have never been on a Christmas cruise before and wondered if Carnival did anything special.

Merry Christmas and Happy Cruising!
Did a Christmas cruise on the Miracle last year. Absolutely fantastic. Had a Christmas eve carol singing in the atrium followed by a service held in the theatre. We are booked on our second Christmas cruise this year.Highly recommend doing this. The inboard staff were fantastic!

Old November 23rd, 2012, 04:22 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Dollar Store Decorations

I've bought a couple of red glittery bells and a cluster of gold glittery bow with greenery to attach to our door. If someone else can't live without it, then I've only lost $3.00!

Dollar Tree actually had quite a few really cute things, but I only wanted something for the door. They will be attached with that removable sticky tape stuff--sorry I can't remember what it's really called.

I was thinking of going back and buying a couple of those simple red cords with a jingle bell on them to use to put our sail and sign cards on.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays everyone!
CCL Fascination, Sept. 2012, Jacksonville, Half Moon Cay, Nassau
CCL Breeze, Dec. 2-8, 2012, Miami, Grand Turk, Falmouth, Nassau
CCL Victory, Sept 16-21, 2013, Miami, Grand Turk, Half Moon Cay, Nassau
CCL Valor, Nov. 9-16, 2014, San Juan, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Maarten

Old November 24th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

There are three (staterooms) of us going on Norwegian in 2 weeks who will be decorating our rooms and doors with Christmas decor. I can NOT wait! I'm crafty and I love Christmas!
Norwegian Cruise Line Norwegian Dawn - 12/09/2012

I would rather be at sea!

Old November 24th, 2012, 11:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

We are going on the Enchantment on Dec15th and even though we will be home for the actual holiday, we still bring decorations for the cabin. We have them up at home for the month of Dec so why not bring some for the ship too? Last year we saw a lot of doors decorated with all kinds of fun holiday things. We love the Dec cruises. The shhips are so lovely and the crew is extra wonderful. We like to bring little gifts for special crew members. It is so much fun to give them something, we pass the gifts out our last evening.

Old November 25th, 2012, 07:38 PM
Cool Cruiser

I always buy window clings on clearance and save them until the following year. We put them up and I leave them.

This year I am going to find those battery operated lights for our cabin. My niece asked if we were decorating so I got some garland to hang also as a surprise.
Carnival - Destiny - Caribbean 12/02
Carnival - Destiny - Caribbean 12/03
RCCL- Adventure of the Seas - Caribbean 12/04
RCCL- Splendor of the Seas - Mediterranean 5/05
RCCL -Adventure of the Seas - Caribbean 12/05
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Caribbean 12/06
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Caribbean 12/07
Carnival - Destiny - Caribbean 3/08
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Caribbean 12/08
RCCL - Serenade of the Seas - Caribbean 12/09
RCCL - Adventure of the Seas - Caribbean 12/10
RCCL - Adventure of the Seas - Caribbean 12/11
Celebrity - Summit - Caribbean 12/12
RCCL - Splendour of the Seas - Greek Isles 5/13
Celebrity - Summit - Caribbean 12/13
RCCL - Adventure of the Seas Caribbean 12/14

Old November 25th, 2012, 09:34 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Decorations

We have twice been on Carnival Conquest for Christmas and decorated doors; the decorations stayed there all week. I also put a small (about 12") tree in each room with tiny decorations and lights.

On the last cruise I took a 22" suitcase filled with decorations for the rooms (2) and balconies, but this year I am taking less so I don't have to take the extra suitcase. Besides, the balcony decorations all blew away!

We are looking forward to Christmas on the Princess Crown this year!

Happy Reader

Old November 26th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Decorations

I am taking Candy canes and making 'trees' on our doors. I picked up little gifts on Black Friday to give out to staff. Also found a embroidery design of a Santa Pirate and all 11 of us in the group will be wearing matching shirts when we board.

Can't wait!
Judy

Old November 27th, 2012, 07:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Christmas decorations

Years ago, I bought oversized Christmas magnets for cars, refrigerators, etc. at Walgreens. They are easy to pack and kids love them. You can google
Christmas oversized Magnets for Refrigerator. Depending on how much room we have in our luggage, I might pack lightweight wreaths, too. For the interior of our staterooms, I gave the grandkids a ton of gel clings that I bought last year after Christmas at Bed, Bath, Beyond and Target. As we left the ship, we noticed stains on several of the exterior metal doors so I'd suggest using the gel clings only on glass, mirrors, etc. Because of limited space, we did not pack small trees but did bring Christmas stockings. If you are traveling with young children, take them out on the balcony on Christmas Eve when it's gotten dark. More than likely, you'll be able to see another cruise ship following in the distance. Our quick thinking son-in-law said "OH, MY, LOOK!!! IT'S SANTA AND HIS SLEIGH!!! QUICK, QUICK GO TO BED!" They nosedived and did not make another peep. This Christmas they are in 1st and 3rd grade. If our 3rd grader no longer believes in Santa, she is doing a very good job of humoring us. She's reminded us several times that
they SAW Santa Claus. Wonderful memories ...

Old November 29th, 2012, 10:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default command strips from GM

I have also purchased different size strips to use hang stuff up in our rooms. And yesterday I found little Christmas trees that use the USB ports for power and purchased those.

Old November 30th, 2012, 09:57 AM
Cool Cruiser

Is there anyway to find out what the ship has planned on Christmas Eve/Christmas day? We are sailing on the carnival pride out of Baltimore on dec 23. Last year we left on Christmas Day and I didn't see that they really did anything especially Christmassy...

Old December 6th, 2012, 11:35 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Decorations

I take battery operated lights for inside my cabin and solar lights for the balcony railing. They don't like you plugging in things so that's why I use battery lights. I take dollar store decorations and throw them away leaving room for souvenirs! Window clings are fab for windows and mirrors. Our gift giving rule is nothing that won't fit in our stockings.
Carnival Freedom 12-19-2009
Norwegian Sun 12-17-2011
Vision of the Seas 12-24-2012
Jewel of the Seas 3-21-2013

Old December 7th, 2012, 11:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Decorations

DH and I are on the celebrity last Christmas! We put decorations on the door, inside we hung Christmas lights and our stockings and also had up a little plug-in Christmas tree in the room. It was awesome. We never had the stuff stolen off the door. I bought it at the dollar store so if they really wanted it it was a gift from me to them ha ha

Christmas morning we put a stocking on the bed for cabin Stewart... Cash and some candy

Old December 13th, 2012, 05:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

A couple of years ago we did a B2B during the first half of December but still wanted Christmas decorations. Everything I carried, fit into a small rolling duffle bag and it was a drive to port so not a big deal.

We had an aft O/V cabin with one of the larger deep set windows which made for lots of room on the window seal. I carried a small tree with battery operated lights for the window, surrounded it with a collection of carribean style santas, and a few other decorations. I used gel type Christmas decor on the mirrors and windows and put up some paper Christmas decorations on our door. I also strung garland all around the top of the cabin.

We carried our nice red Christmas hats to wear on formal night and got some great pics on the ship. In port we wore Christmas tee shirts and I wore a pink Christmas hat and DH wore a green one. I took a small bag of Christmas items into port with us and set up our decor around a palm tree. We found someone to take a couple of pics of us with the ship in the background. I addressed our Christmas cards before leaving home and as soon as we got home on the 13th, I printed off the pics and popped them in our Christmas cards and had them in the mail by the 14th.