Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old April 11th, 2011, 12:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Locking luggage

Can anyone tell me if you can lock your luggage for boarding or is it like the airports where you have to leave your luggage unlocked? Thanks
Royal Carribbean Grandeur of the Seas, Radiance of the Seas, Sovereign of the Seas
Carnival Sensationx2, Inspiration x 4
Imperial Majesty
Carnival Destiny, Liberty. Legend. Freedom
Carnival Paradise

Old April 11th, 2011, 12:37 AM
Cool Cruiser

We use TSA approved locks for flying and leave them on when we board the ship. They do not have the ability to unlock the TSA lock. You would be contacted if they need to check anything in your luggage. Happy traveling!
I just read on another conversation that someone did have their TSA locks opened. Not a big deal to me either way.

Navigator of the Seas 5/2/13
Voyager of the Seas 3/6/11
Vision of the Seas 11/30/08
Liberty of the Seas 11/24/07
Monarch of the Seas 2/19/07
Enchantment of the Seas 12/11/04

Cruise Countdown TickersCruise Countdown Tickers

Last edited by DaNana; April 11th, 2011 at 12:52 AM.

Old April 11th, 2011, 06:58 AM
5,000+ Club

We never lock our luggage for a cruise. We use zip ties just to keep the zippers closed and bring more with us for the trip home.

There's nothing in our checked luggage except clothes and shoes so nothing worth stealing.

23 total

Royal Carribbean, Carnival, Princess and Holland America

PLUS!
Crown and Anchor Diamond Plus Member

Old April 11th, 2011, 08:24 AM
50,000+ Club

Always lock your bags, when they are not in your hands. Even at the airport! And, it doesn't HAVE to be a TSA approved lock at the airport.

NEVER leave unattended bags unlocked....even if there is nothing of 'value' in them. No one has a right to have access to your things. It's not so much about theft, as it is your right to privacy, and the fact that you don't want someone to easily PUT something into your luggage!!!!!

Last edited by cb at sea; April 11th, 2011 at 08:26 AM.

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:36 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChCo38 View Post
Can anyone tell me if you can lock your luggage for boarding or is it like the airports where you have to leave your luggage unlocked? Thanks
You are incorrect to think that you have to leave your luggage unlocked at the airport. The TSA locks are now avaliable almost anywhere(Walmart, Target, etc) and many travelers now use those. If the authorities need to open the locks at the airport they can easily do do and will leave a note inside saying that they inspected your luggage.

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

We always use the TSA locks. If the airport athorities want to get in they can.

1976 RCCL Song of Norway
1978 NCL ?
1981 Cunard Countess
1985 Galeleo
1992 Azzure Seas
1997 Seawind Crown
2001 Legend of the Sea
2002 RCCL Sovereign of the Seas
2004 Celebrity Zenith
2006 RCCL Adventure of the Seas
2009 RCCL Independence of the Seas
2010 RCCL Navigator of the Seas
2011 RCCL Freedom of the Seas
2012 RCCL Jewel of the Sea
2013 RCCL Freedom of the Seas
2014 Celebrity Eclipse

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:49 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

We ALWAYS have our luggage locked and we always use TSA approved locks. No, you don't HAVE to have a TSA approved lock at the airport, but if your suitcase is pulled for a search, your lock will be cut. Then you're stuck with unlocked luggage. Kind of defeats the purpose IMO. With the TSA locks, they unlock them for any search, and then relock your case.

TSA locks are no more expensive than other luggage locks and can be found at any local department store.

Celebration, 1998
Carnival Destiny, 1999
Carnival Destiny, 2000
RCCL Serenade of the Seas, 2004
Crown Princess, 2007
Carnival Fantasy, 2008
Ruby Princess, 2008
Carnival Sensation (Abbie), 2009
Carnival Fantasy, 2009
Caribbean Princess, 2009
Carnival Triumph, 2010
Emerald Princess, 2010
Golden Princess (Alaska), 2011
RCCL Voyager of the Seas, 2011
NCL Spirit, 2012
Emerald Princess, 2012
Carnival Freedom (Girls' Trip), 2013
NCL Sun, 2013
NCL Jewel, 2014
Celebrity Summit, 2014

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:53 AM
10,000+ Club

If your suitcase has a zipper, a lock is nothing more than a decoration. A zipper can be pried open in 1-2 seconds with items as simple as a pen, screwdriver, fork, etc. It is like locking an envelope - it raises a red flag that there is something of value inside, but does nothing to deter someone from entering your suitcase. It is prudent to never place valuable in a suitcase. Do not think that locking your suitcase makes the contents safe.

Completed Cruises:
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:58 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo70 View Post
If your suitcase has a zipper, a lock is nothing more than a decoration. A zipper can be pried open in 1-2 seconds with items as simple as a pen, screwdriver, fork, etc. It is like locking an envelope - it raises a red flag that there is something of value inside, but does nothing to deter someone from entering your suitcase. It is prudent to never place valuable in a suitcase. Do not think that locking your suitcase makes the contents safe.

Thank you. That's my feeling exactly!

23 total

Royal Carribbean, Carnival, Princess and Holland America

PLUS!
Crown and Anchor Diamond Plus Member

Old April 11th, 2011, 11:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

We always use the TSA locks for flying as well as going on a cruise. I don't like the idea of an unlocked bag being even more easily accesible than on with a lock. I especially like leaving the bags out on the last night with the TSA locks on them. I realize that if someone wants to get into my luggage, they will find a way, but I feel the locks deter them a little more. We also never put anything of value, such as cameras, electronics or jewelry in our checked luggage.

Carnival Carnivale - May 1980 (Bermuda), Celebrity Galaxy - August 2003 (E. Caribbean), Voyager of the Seas - July 2004 (W. Caribbean), Grandeur of the Seas - August 2006 (W. Caribbean), Explorer of the Seas - August 2007(Bermuda & E. Caribbean), Freedom of the Seas - August 2009 (W. Caribbean), Grandeur of the Seas - October 2009 (Bermuda), Radiance of the Seas - September 2010 (14 night Ultimate Alaska), Adventure of the Seas - January 2011 (Southern Caribbean), Serenade of the Seas - October 2011 (B2B - Southern Caribbean), Serenade of the Seas - May 2012 (12 night Mediteranean & Greek Isles), Enchantment of the Seas - September 2012 (Bermuda), Grandeur of the Seas - August & September 2013 (B2B -Bermuda and Canada & New England)

Old April 11th, 2011, 11:15 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixieva View Post
Thank you. That's my feeling exactly!
Mine, too, but it gives some people a warm, fuzzy feeling to have a lock on their bag. So, if it makes you feel more secure, go for it.

Old April 11th, 2011, 11:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for ALL the great input. I will have 2 large luggage and 2 small carry-on bags.
I am going to
*lock one with a TSA lock,
*Lock one with a NON-TSA lock,
*Not lock one at all,
*tie-wrap one.

That should cover all my bases(LOL)

http://joycechrisphotos.shutterfly.com/
1 - RCCL - Alaska on the Radiance of the Seas - June 24th, 2011
2 - RCCL - Western Caribbean on the Navigator of the Seas - December. 18th, 2011
3 - RCCL - Bermuda on the Enchantment of the Seas - July 12th, 2012
4 - NCL - Western Caribbean on the Pearl - November 4th, 2012
5 - X - Eastern Caribbean on the Silhouette - March 31st, 2013 (Easter Sunday)
6. RCCL - Eastern Caribbean on the Allure of the Seas - October 27th, 2013
7.RCCL - Caribbean Cruise on the Freedom of the Seas October 26th, 2014

Old April 11th, 2011, 11:59 AM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
Always lock your bags, when they are not in your hands. Even at the airport! And, it doesn't HAVE to be a TSA approved lock at the airport.

NEVER leave unattended bags unlocked....even if there is nothing of 'value' in them. No one has a right to have access to your things. It's not so much about theft, as it is your right to privacy, and the fact that you don't want someone to easily PUT something into your luggage!!!!!
You are, of course, exempting TSA and other airport security officials from your blanket statement. Once you hand over your luggage at the airport you pretty much lose any expectation of privacy and, if security officials determine that they need to examine the contents of your luggage, they will do so, whether the bags are locked or unlocked. The only hard and fast rule I would suggest is to never put medicines or valuables in your checked luggage. Otherwise expect that someone can access those bags while they are out of your possession.