Blue Lagoon questions

What does it cost to take a ferry to the Blue Lagoon? Where do you get it? We will be on the Carnival Paradise next week.

Carnival Triumph 2/2000

Carnival Fascination 2/2001

Norwegian Sky 5/2002

Carnival Paradise 4/2004

Hi ...

You can't just catch a ferry to Blue Lagoon. It's excursion only, and boarding the boat is the equivalent of a gate-check.

I'd highly recommend booking it with your cruise line rather than direct for two reasons:

1) unless your cruise leaves Nassau really late, you could miss the boat and

2) the excursions booked with the cruise line actually depart from the wharf where you tie up. Otherwise the "public" Blue Lagoon ferries leave from Paradise Island ... a $4.00/person taxi ride away (or $3.00 by water taxi).

Hope that's helpful ...

Colyn R., Nassau Native

Thanks a lot Colyn for your advice. Now I realize why there aren't post on CC on how to get to Blue Lagoon on your own. It makes sense to take the excursion through a cruise line.

Carnival Triumph 2/2000

Carnival Fascination 2/2001

Norwegian Sky 5/2002

Carnival Paradise 4/2004

• 3 years later...

I am going to be going at the end of May and I wonder if they have opened Blue Lagoon back up as a sailing excursion. I don't want to go to the Dolphin encounter. I had just heard this was a beautiful island and you used to be able to take a sailing trip over there and spend the day on the beach. Anyone heard if this is opened back up for that yet?

• 3 weeks later...

If you are wanting to do the dolphin encounter or swim, definitely book it directly....you will save sooooo much money and you can't even get the 'swim' through the cruise lines. All you have to do is take a water taxi (buy tix, $3pp, right inside Festival Place) or regular taxi to Paradise Island and Dolphin Encounters will take you to Blue Lagoon Island and even bring you back to the cruise pier. Just make sure you have time so you can make it back to your ship. We were on RCCL Majesty so were docked from 8am till midnight. We did the 'swim' and it was AMAZING!!

• 2 years later...

I would book directly with Dolphin Encounters for any trip to Blue Lagoon. Yes you will have to get to the dock on Paradise Island, but it is a short and easy taxi ride. The Dolphin Encounter ferry WILL take you back to the cruise pier, even if you didn't book through the cruise line.

To my knowledge there is no sailing excursion offered through Dolphin Encounters, just the beach day, Dolphin Encounter, Dolphin Swim and Sea Lion Encounter. They do have a few water toys available for rent but otherwise it is all about the animal encounters.

Does anyone know if you can just show up at the dolphin encounter desk and buy a ticket over to Blue Lagoon to just have a beach day? I have done the dolphin swim but would love to just go over and hang out. Also, does anyone know if you can get off the ship and get someone to take you over to blackbeards cay? I do not want to book with the ship because i don't want to be on a time frame. Any info would be great.:)

Does anyone know if you can just show up at the dolphin encounter desk and buy a ticket over to Blue Lagoon to just have a beach day? I have done the dolphin swim but would love to just go over and hang out. Also, does anyone know if you can get off the ship and get someone to take you over to blackbeards cay? I do not want to book with the ship because i don't want to be on a time frame. Any info would be great.:)

You can book a Blue Lagoon beach day directly at the tour window at the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal. I do it all the time. The beach is closed Thursday and Sunday.

As for Blackbeards, only certain boats are allowed to dock. They have permits and pay a per head fee as well. You can't just get dropped off.

If there are several ferries that day, you may be able to take a different ferry back .. contact them and see what your options are.

http://www.stingrayadventure.com/

• 2 weeks later...
You can book a Blue Lagoon beach day directly at the tour window at the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal. I do it all the time. The beach is closed Thursday and Sunday.

How do you get to the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal from the ship?

Edited by beemergal

You can book a Blue Lagoon beach day directly at the tour window at the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal. I do it all the time. The beach is closed Thursday and Sunday

How do you get to the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal from the ship?

A quick $5pp cab ride will get you there. It's about 10 minutes away. Depending on traffic.

You need to show up 30 minutes before the ferry.

Scheduled ferries are at 10:30 and 1:30

Return Ferries are at 1, 2 and 4

A quick $5pp cab ride will get you there. It's about 10 minutes away. Depending on traffic.

You need to show up 30 minutes before the ferry.

Scheduled ferries are at 10:30 and 1:30

Return Ferries are at 1, 2 and 4

We did this last time and NO problem. For two of us, saved at least $50 over booking through the ship. We had a port time of 12-10 p.m.

• 2 weeks later...

If I remember correctly it is about a 30 minute ferry ride. They try to keep the ferry available for people who have booked the next time slot for the dolphin/sea lion swims. However, if there is room on the boat they will let you go on an earlier trip.

• 8 months later...

Has anyone ever been to Atlantis just to walk inside and see it and then had enough time to hit Blue Lagoon for the beach in the evening? We will be in port 8-5pm and I am just wondering if we can it both of them with the time we have?

I've never been to Atlantis but I did find this info on the Blue Lagoon website yesterday that might help you make plans:

The boat departure dock/check-in area is located at the Paradise Island Ferry Terminal (One Marina Drive), which is the only building between the two bridges on Paradise Island. It is within 5-10 minutes walking distance of several major hotels on Paradise Island and is located across the street from Atlantis. We recommend that you check-in 30-minutes before your departure time.

Our boats depart for Blue Lagoon Island at 8:30 a.m., 10:30 a.m., 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m. Our boats depart from Blue Lagoon Island at: 1:00 p.m., 2:00 p.m. and 4:00 p.m.

I don't know if you've checked out their website yet but here's the link. It's got some great pics and history. http://www.bahamasbluelagoon.com/

Also, Blue Lagoon has showers in case you want to go to Atlantis after the beach.

Edited by Sara PCB

Hi Chelledun, We too have a port time of 12-10pm and have booked the 130 sea lion encounter. Will we have time to browse the straw market prior to catching the ferry to Blue Lagoon?

You need to be at the Ferry terminal on Paradise island at 1PM to check in for the 1:30PM ferry.

Plus a 10-15 minute cab ride after you get off the ship and walk up and through the Welcome Center, to out where the cabs are....

So, unless you literally sprint up and down the aisles of the Straw Market, I would say, you had better hit the shopping AFTER Blue Lagoon.

Bill

We are a group of 7 and thinking of going to Blue Lagoon. Our ship docks in December at 8am and leaves at 5pm. We had wanted to do the dolphin 'encounter' for myself and my 3 kids, and hubby and my parents would do either the 'observer' package or the beach day.

We had hoped to pretty much spend the day there, but with the times that our ship docks and leaves, it looks like we would be too late for the 8:30 ferry, so would have to take the 10:30, and then it sounds like it would be cutting it too close to take the 4pm ferry back, so would have to take the 2pm to go back. So.... if we arrived on Blue Lagoon at 11am and left at 2pm it is only 3 hours!! I am thinking it is too much $$ for us to spend (over $500...) to have the dolphin encounter and a couple of extra hours. We'd splurge for this if I knew we could spend at least 4 hours there aside from the dolphin encounter.... not sure what to do?

Any thoughts on this from someone who has gone?

I wish there were some way to get there at other times (eg. take a ferry at 9 am and leave blue lagoon at 3 pm) Am I correct in assuming there is no other (easy) way to get there?

We are a group of 7 and thinking of going to Blue Lagoon. Our ship docks in December at 8am and leaves at 5pm. We had wanted to do the dolphin 'encounter' for myself and my 3 kids, and hubby and my parents would do either the 'observer' package or the beach day.

We had hoped to pretty much spend the day there, but with the times that our ship docks and leaves, it looks like we would be too late for the 8:30 ferry, so would have to take the 10:30, and then it sounds like it would be cutting it too close to take the 4pm ferry back, so would have to take the 2pm to go back. So.... if we arrived on Blue Lagoon at 11am and left at 2pm it is only 3 hours!! I am thinking it is too much $$ for us to spend (over $500...) to have the dolphin encounter and a couple of extra hours. We'd splurge for this if I knew we could spend at least 4 hours there aside from the dolphin encounter.... not sure what to do?

Any thoughts on this from someone who has gone?

I wish there were some way to get there at other times (eg. take a ferry at 9 am and leave blue lagoon at 3 pm) Am I correct in assuming there is no other (easy) way to get there?

The times for the ferries are set and the only way to get there.

Just bad timing for your docking time, if you wanted to spend the whole day there.

Bill

Thanks Bill,

Yeah, to us it is bad timing to be in port for 9 hours yet only be able to be on that island for 3....I guess we will just have to sort out whether or not to go just for that amount of time....

:)

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

We will be in Nassau on May 31 from the Carnival Fascination. Would love any tips or suggestions on how to make a trip to the Blue Lagoon on our own. Prices and how to arrange a trip would be great!! We were looking for an alternative to booking with the ship. Thanks for any input!!!