Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Majestic America Line

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old April 30th, 2010, 06:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Good bye mississippi queen

It was reported by a very reliable source on www.Steamboats.org that the Str. MISSISSIPPI QUEEN has been sold for scrap. When completed in 1976, she was the biggest steamboat ever afloat. Her architech was James Gardner who also designed the QUEEN ELIZABETH 2. Trained eyes could see his signature throughout the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN. Because of incompetant management the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN has been deteriorating at the Perry Street Wharf in Algiers, Louisiana since 2007. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Old May 10th, 2010, 08:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calliope View Post
It was reported by a very reliable source on www.Steamboats.org that the Str. MISSISSIPPI QUEEN has been sold for scrap. When completed in 1976, she was the biggest steamboat ever afloat. Her architech was James Gardner who also designed the QUEEN ELIZABETH 2. Trained eyes could see his signature throughout the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN. Because of incompetant management the MISSISSIPPI QUEEN has been deteriorating at the Perry Street Wharf in Algiers, Louisiana since 2007. Sic transit gloria mundi.

Sorry to hear of her final fate. Economics and her condition after failed attempts to upgrade her left her useless and too expensive to finalize repairs and proposed upgrades.

By the way, the Perry Street Wharf is in Gretna, Louisiana. After being docked there for years she was later towed to the Todd Shipyard Dock in Algiers, Louisiana.

Algiers is on the west bank of the Mississippi River and is a part of the City of New Orleans. Because of the curving Mississippi River you have to travel true East to reach the West Bank side of the river to go from the east bank side of the City of New Orleans to Algiers on the west bank side of the City of New Orleans. Conversely if you are on the west bank side you have to travel true West to reach the east bank side of the river. Only in New Orleans is such things possible.

Old May 18th, 2010, 02:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

The MISSISSIPPI QUEEN was towed away to a scrapyard in the Harvey Canal last week after being reregistered under the Canadian flag. As this is being typed, she is being cut up.

Old May 28th, 2011, 11:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

They may have saved something of the Mississippi Queen as I thought I read in one of the stories about the American Queen to be refurbished that there would be some elements of the other queen used. Maybe the story was not correct,but I don't think it would have been unusual for someone to strip all of what they thought could be sold and reused from the boat before cutting her up.
RSSC Voyager-FLL-2007
HAL Oosterdam- Hawaii 2012
HAL Maasdam - Montreal/Boston 2013