Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Ports of Call > Caribbean > Cozumel

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old September 1st, 2011, 02:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Unable to give blood!

I was just deferred from giving blood because of travel last November to Cozumel. The new CDC guideline (as of this past Monday) is that you can't give blood within one year of travel to Cozumel or Cancun. We didn't even get off the ship, but just the fact that we ported there makes me ineligible.

Please, please make an appointment to give blood before you go on your cruise! There is a huge need after Hurricane Irene caused so many blood drives to be cancelled.

Old September 1st, 2011, 02:15 PM
5,000+ Club

also, belize....in my case, when i told them i was only there during day, it was ok. some places are stricter about it then others.

My Space travel blogs and short videos from trips
Webshot photo: NCL Spirit (ship, cabin, ports) Western Caribe, Alaska
West. Carib NCL Spirit review:
Alaska/NCL Star 2006 review

Old September 1st, 2011, 02:30 PM
Cool Cruiser

When i gave blood last month i noticed their more more places on the list that was included as iffy ...i said to the man asking the questions there won't be anyone left soon to give blood

Old September 1st, 2011, 03:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

I had a rather nasty case brand of malaria in my younger days, no giving blood for me. I would if I could.

XENOPHOBE : One unduly fearful of what is foreign and especially of people of foreign origin.

Old September 1st, 2011, 06:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

I cant donate either...I lived in Europe for years and it makes me ineligible. I guess they are still worried about the whole Mad Cow thing.

My Cruise Countdown | I'm sailing to the Bahamas on 04/12/2015 aboard the Carnival Magic! Visit Carnival.com to see all Bahamas cruises.

The Whale Tale Club's Unofficial Official Vodka Taster

Previous Cruises:

February 2003 - Carnival Fantasy - Freeport & Nassau, Bahama's
February 2009 - Carnival Ecstasy - Cozumel & Progresso, Mexico
September 2010 - Carnival Liberty - Half Moon Cay, Bahama's; St. Thomas, USVI; San Juan, PR ; & Grand Turk Island, Turks & Cacios.
February 2011 - Carnival Ecstasy - Was to have been to Cozumel & Progresso, Mexico...however due to Galveston fog turned to a 3 day to nowhere....
October 2011 Carnival Triumph -Progresso & Cozumel Mexico
April 2013 - Carnival Magic - Montego Bay, Jamaica; Grand Cayman Island & Cozumel, Mexico
April 2014 - Carnival Magic - Roatan, Honduras; Belize City, Belize & Cozumel, Mexico
August 2014 - Carnival Triumph - Progreso & Cozumel, Mexico

Ad Sponsored By
Old September 1st, 2011, 08:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

I can't donate, either. Had a blood transfusion a few years ago and that makes me ineligible, even though I have had no problems since.

Upcoming: Carnival (Valor ) Liberty 4/26/2015
Upcoming: Disney Wonder 12/3/14
Carnival Breeze 1/18/2014
Carnival Liberty 10/13/2012
Carnival Legend 11/27/11
Carnival Triumph 2/21/11

Old September 2nd, 2011, 09:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

I just want to say thank you NorthCarolinaBelle for giving blood.

I used to give blood, but no longer can due to complications I developed because of giving blood and an unknown at the time condition.

I still feel bad every time they call me to ask me to donate and I have to say no.

Here we come Suite Life!!

Old September 2nd, 2011, 10:06 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
I can't donate, either. Had a blood transfusion a few years ago and that makes me ineligible, even though I have had no problems since.
Just curious - why would a blood transfusion make you ineligible?

Old September 3rd, 2011, 09:34 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloedmom View Post
Just curious - why would a blood transfusion make you ineligible?
I was told that it is because of the possibility of diseases in the blood I received that don't show up when they initially test the blood, and the fact that they rely a lot on the honesty of the blood donor. For example, if the blood donor went to Mexico recently into an area where malaria is active, but did not report it on the questionaire, then there is a possiblity I could have gotten malaria via the blood transfusion but don't know it yet. Same thing with some of the hepititus strains. I also had an allergic reaction 24 hours after I first got the blood transfusion.... could not breathe. It was awful.

I feel bad, because I am the "Universal Donor" blood type O negative and I used to donate blood all the time.

Upcoming: Carnival (Valor ) Liberty 4/26/2015
Upcoming: Disney Wonder 12/3/14
Carnival Breeze 1/18/2014
Carnival Liberty 10/13/2012
Carnival Legend 11/27/11
Carnival Triumph 2/21/11

Old September 4th, 2011, 05:33 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasalth View Post
I just want to say thank you NorthCarolinaBelle for giving blood.

I used to give blood, but no longer can due to complications I developed because of giving blood and an unknown at the time condition.

I still feel bad every time they call me to ask me to donate and I have to say no.

Jasalth, you're welcome! Two of my children received blood transfusions that saved their llives, so I know the importance of blood donations. I also felt bad when I couldn't donate this past week!

Old September 5th, 2011, 05:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

These new rules don't affect me since I was permanently banned when they added an exclusion to people who had lived in Europe. Used to live in the UK, several years ago they decided to permanently ban blood due to CJD or Mad Cows disease. Had been giving blood in the USA for over 10 years before this ban came into effect.
NCL Spirit from N.O - Nov 28th 2010
Carnival Elation from Mobile - May 2nd 2011
NCL Spirit from N.O - Oct 23rd 2011
NCL Star from N.O - Dec 16th 2012
NCL Star from N.O - April 14th 2013
NCL Jewel from N.O - Oct 22nd 2013

Old September 5th, 2011, 07:16 PM
Administrator

Hm, I wonder if this is subject to local authorities/guidelines, and if those vary? I gave blood on September 3, and Cozumel was not on the exclusion list (I know since I answered that I'd been to Coz in April, but they still wanted my double red cell donation (I'm another O neg)).

It's good to be aware of the possibilities of these restrictions, but I think ultimately it's so hard to predict what location may or may not be "okay" at any given time that I can't mold my travel to fit the requirements of the blood supply folks. I will give when I can if they'll take it, and I guess that will have to be good enough.

Upcoming Cruises:

Western Caribbean -- Carnival Sunshine, November 2014

Some Past Cruise Adventures:

Pride of Hawaii, NCL, 2007 (Hawaii) -- MS Volendam, HAL, 2008 (Alaska) -- Norwegian Dawn, 2009 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Carnival Triumph, 2009 (Canada) -- Emerald Princess, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Norwegian Epic, 2011 (Western Caribbean) -- Celebrity Summit, 2011 (Bermuda Cruise Critic Member Cruise) -- Ruby Princess, 2012 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Sapphire Princess, 2012 (Alaska) -- Norwegian Sky, 2013 (Bahamas) -- Carnival Dream, 2013 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Norwegian Epic, 2014 (Western Caribbean)

Old September 5th, 2011, 10:03 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Host Michell View Post
Hm, I wonder if this is subject to local authorities/guidelines, and if those vary? I gave blood on September 3, and Cozumel was not on the exclusion list (I know since I answered that I'd been to Coz in April, but they still wanted my double red cell donation (I'm another O neg)).

It's good to be aware of the possibilities of these restrictions, but I think ultimately it's so hard to predict what location may or may not be "okay" at any given time that I can't mold my travel to fit the requirements of the blood supply folks. I will give when I can if they'll take it, and I guess that will have to be good enough.
This was on last Thursday, Sept 1st, and they told me the CDC has just announced on Monday about the Malaria risk. Prior to that, I've always been asked where I went, and as long as I stayed in the city I was okay. Interesting that there are different guidelines, and a little disturbing!

I was just hoping that those people who regularly give blood would go ahead and give before they travel, just in case.

Last edited by NorthCarolinaBelle; September 5th, 2011 at 10:03 PM.

Old September 6th, 2011, 05:08 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaBelle View Post
This was on last Thursday, Sept 1st, and they told me the CDC has just announced on Monday about the Malaria risk. Prior to that, I've always been asked where I went, and as long as I stayed in the city I was okay. Interesting that there are different guidelines, and a little disturbing!

I was just hoping that those people who regularly give blood would go ahead and give before they travel, just in case.
It was a good reminder, and thanks for giving it. It's hard to know ahead of time what will or won't be okay these days, since it keeps changing -- it's good to have the info. As you say, the inconsistency is a bit disturbing!

Upcoming Cruises:

Western Caribbean -- Carnival Sunshine, November 2014

Some Past Cruise Adventures:

Pride of Hawaii, NCL, 2007 (Hawaii) -- MS Volendam, HAL, 2008 (Alaska) -- Norwegian Dawn, 2009 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Carnival Triumph, 2009 (Canada) -- Emerald Princess, 2010 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Norwegian Epic, 2011 (Western Caribbean) -- Celebrity Summit, 2011 (Bermuda Cruise Critic Member Cruise) -- Ruby Princess, 2012 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Sapphire Princess, 2012 (Alaska) -- Norwegian Sky, 2013 (Bahamas) -- Carnival Dream, 2013 (Eastern Caribbean) -- Norwegian Epic, 2014 (Western Caribbean)

Old September 9th, 2011, 03:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks for the heads-up so I can donate before I cruise next month. The Red Cross has been hounding me and just left me a voicemail this morning asking me to donate pint number 69. I'm going to have a tight 11-day window to give, because I was in Cozumel on Oct. 6 last year, and my cruise departs Oct. 17 this year.
Carnival Fascination - 10/4/2008, Bahamas
Carnival Inspiration - 10/9/2006, Western Caribbean
NCL Majesty - 6/11/2006, Boston to Bermuda
Carnival Destiny - 10/9/2005, Southern Caribbean
Celebrity Galaxy - 12/2000, Southern Caribbean
Enchantment of the Seas - 5/1999, Western Caribbean
Carnival Fascination - 6/1995, Southern Caribbean

Old September 12th, 2011, 09:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by blondietink View Post
Unless you got it outside of the US you were only ineligible for 1 year.

You cannot donate for 1 year if you've visited a country that has Malaira (ie Haitti and Cozumel)

HAL Veendam / Canada & New England /June 7, 2014
RCL Oasis of the Seas / Western Caribbean / February 4, 2012
Carnival Victory / Southern Caribbean / February 6, 2011
Carnival Destiny / Southern Caribbean / December 12, 2004

Last edited by sherilyn70; September 12th, 2011 at 09:28 PM.

Old September 13th, 2011, 10:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

WOW!
My mom and I went to the blood bank on monday to donate.
I was unable to because of my low iron. My mom was able to though. We were both in cozumel last September though. We told them we had gone on a cruise, and gave the ports we visited.
Thanks for the heads up tho..
Carnival Liberty-Western-9/25/10

Carnival Liberty-Western-9/24/11
Ports:
Ochio Rios, Jamica x2
Costa Maya, Mexico
Cozumel, Mexico x2
Grand Cayman

Old September 14th, 2011, 08:55 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katty891 View Post
WOW!
My mom and I went to the blood bank on monday to donate.
I was unable to because of my low iron. My mom was able to though. We were both in cozumel last September though. We told them we had gone on a cruise, and gave the ports we visited.
Thanks for the heads up tho..
Just FYI...... I showed low iron once. The person doing the testing/screening did not ask if I wanted to be re-tested. When I asked, they were happy I did, and my iron showed fine on the second test. They told me they're not allowed to suggest a re-test themselves.
Carnival Liberty 7/2011 Cozumel/Grand Cayman/Jamaica
NCL Pearl 6/2010 Juneau/Skagway/Ketchikan/Victoria
Carnival Imagination 11/2009 Bahamas/Nassau
REVIEW: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=59869
NCL SKY 4/2009 Freeport/Nassau/Great Stirrup Cay
REVIEW: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=54228

Old September 18th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

I read on the Belize forum that that is another site that is banned. My DH is still trying to process this since he is a very regular donor and won't even get a tattoo because of it. I guess he may as well go ahead and do that too - but prob not in the Caribbean!!

Old September 20th, 2011, 07:50 PM
Cool Cruiser

I was deferred in July when I went to give blood. They said Cozumel, Belize, & Honduras had been added to the Malaria risk list in June. I had been on the dock in Cozumel last Dec.