Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Azamara Club Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Azamara Club Cruises
Find Your Azamara Club Cruises Roll Call

Closed Thread

Old July 31st, 2011, 05:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

I need to chime in about Andy, in all my years with CC never have seen a host so involved on a board. I think that is great and like that he is so involved. I feel like someone has my back.

Our first experience with Choice air has been great so far especially that my TA took care of the whole thing all I needed was what day and time I wanted to leave and the same for the return and it was done that simple...
Radiance of the Seas 1/06, Jewel of the Seas, 11/06, Century 1/07, Majesty OTS 5/07,
Navigator OTS 12/07, Caribbean Princess 5/08
Freedom of the Seas 12/08, Century 1/09,
Navagator OTS 3/09, Imagination 7/09,
NCL Pearl 12/09, Century 1/10, Oasis, 11/10,
NOS 12/2010, Azamara Journey 11/11
Celebrity Solstice 3/12, Azamara Quest 4/13
Liberty of the Seas 12/13, Allure 12/14

Old August 18th, 2011, 02:24 PM
Cool Cruiser

Hi,

I am thinking of booking my first Azamara Cruise in March, departing from Shanghai, and was wondering if Choice Air could be used to fly in a couple days early to Beijing for a short land tour. Or are you locked into just flying into the departure port on the departure day?

Thanks!

Old August 18th, 2011, 03:25 PM
Cruise Critic Host & 10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfishner View Post
I need to chime in about Andy, in all my years with CC never have seen a host so involved on a board. I think that is great and like that he is so involved. I feel like someone has my back.

Our first experience with Choice air has been great so far especially that my TA took care of the whole thing all I needed was what day and time I wanted to leave and the same for the return and it was done that simple...
Hi Dale,

Thank You for your kind comments. My goal is to provide our Cruise Critic friends the latest information, and I'm passionate about helping our community.

I'd also like to mention the reason I'm able to provide the level of assistance, is that Bill Leiber & Azamara's Management team often makes themselves available for questions - that's a huge plus. I strongly feel Cruise lines should pay close attention to the interactive model Azamara has created, and Bill & I have evolved over the past 10 months. If other Cruise lines were to offer this level of communication, it would clealy be a win-win for everyone !

Please Follow me on Twitter

Last edited by Host Andy; August 18th, 2011 at 03:25 PM.

Old August 18th, 2011, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychickenX View Post
Hi,

I am thinking of booking my first Azamara Cruise in March, departing from Shanghai, and was wondering if Choice Air could be used to fly in a couple days early to Beijing for a short land tour. Or are you locked into just flying into the departure port on the departure day?

Thanks!
Hi FunkychickenX !

Here is Troy's response :

Yes. You can change the default dates to arrive early or return later.

Old August 18th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Sorry to be a bother, does that include changing arrival city? Thank you Host Andy!

Old August 20th, 2011, 11:17 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Choice Air; Standard Air??

I am booked on the 11/17/11 curise on Quest out of Venice. I purchased the cruise with air included. I realize that the air tickets will not be issued until approx. 45 days prior to sailing. In checking the Choice air site I noted that for the least expensive airfare (out of Atlanta) which I assume will be one of the flights I will be ticketed on, has a couple with 70 minutes to transfer flight in Paris and others at the same price have 2 hrs. I have been through the Paris airport and there is no way I would feel confortable in changing flights in 70 minutes (going though security, etc and the difficulty moving around the airport to gates). I would pefer the 2 hr wait between flights to be somewhat on the safe side (same price as the other flight).

On my reservations it lists air transportation as included and has a phone number to call for specific requests (I called just to ask questions) and the person I spoke with told me I did not have Choice Air, I had Standard Air (new to me, but OK). My concern is that she said she could not answer my question as to what is the acceptable standard for time to change transfer planes. She said that was up to Azamara and she had no information on that. Does anyone know who I can call to find out what Azamara's standard is on minimum times to transfer flights on "standard air"?

I appologize in advance if this question is in the wrong topic.

Bill

Old August 21st, 2011, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funkychickenX View Post
Sorry to be a bother, does that include changing arrival city? Thank you Host Andy!
Hi FunkychickenX !

Not a bother at all. We welcome your questions. Here is Troy's response :

Yes, you may also change arrival cities. The system will warn you that it is the wrong city and that could cause you to miss your cruise. It will not stop you from booking, so make sure your dates and cities meet your needs. As a reminder, ChoiceAir will protect you from Booking within dates that overlap your sailing, but once you override the arrival city, it cannot track whether you have allowed enough time.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 06:29 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillK400 View Post
I am booked on the 11/17/11 curise on Quest out of Venice. I purchased the cruise with air included. I realize that the air tickets will not be issued until approx. 45 days prior to sailing. In checking the Choice air site I noted that for the least expensive airfare (out of Atlanta) which I assume will be one of the flights I will be ticketed on, has a couple with 70 minutes to transfer flight in Paris and others at the same price have 2 hrs. I have been through the Paris airport and there is no way I would feel confortable in changing flights in 70 minutes (going though security, etc and the difficulty moving around the airport to gates). I would pefer the 2 hr wait between flights to be somewhat on the safe side (same price as the other flight).

On my reservations it lists air transportation as included and has a phone number to call for specific requests (I called just to ask questions) and the person I spoke with told me I did not have Choice Air, I had Standard Air (new to me, but OK). My concern is that she said she could not answer my question as to what is the acceptable standard for time to change transfer planes. She said that was up to Azamara and she had no information on that. Does anyone know who I can call to find out what Azamara's standard is on minimum times to transfer flights on "standard air"?

Bill
Bill,

I am sure the Cruise Air (mystery flights) are whatever is a "legal/acceptable" connection time for the airline (usually about one hour).

The airport I would be concerned about would be Frankfurt. You need lots of time there because coming from the US in our experience one must leave the plane from the tarmac, walk over to the terminal, and than go through security again. So, if we fly Lufthansa we try to go through Munich.

Normally if you choose Cruise Air you can not pick your flights (unless you pay for a deviation- sometimes waived depending on your status with the cruise line). That is why Cruise Air is often the least expensive option, since you have no Choice.

Last edited by Jade13; August 22nd, 2011 at 06:31 AM.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:12 PM

Quote:

Bill
Hi Bill !

We only use "legal" connections, published by the airlines, and we try to avoid the tighter connection times when possible. Should you have concerns about your confirmed flights, please call our air department to discuss alternatives.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:55 PM
Cool Cruiser

Andy, Thanks for your help. I guess what Troy is indicating that I should wait until I have a confirmed (approx. 45 prior to the flight date) flight before calling if I have concerns about adequate time to transfer planes. Can changes be made once the flight is 'confirmed"?

Old August 28th, 2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Andy, Thanks for your help. I guess what Troy is indicating that I should wait until I have a confirmed (approx. 45 prior to the flight date) flight before calling if I have concerns about adequate time to transfer planes. Can changes be made once the flight is 'confirmed"?
Hi Bill !

Here is Troy's repsonse :

Hi Bill. Yes, please wait until your air is assigned. The policy on our traditional air package is that special requests are not permitted; however, it is possible - though not common- that either one of our systems or agents book something that really doesn't work. We are always happy to correct those situations. We do use the airlines published schedule and the legal connection times as guidelines. We also know that "risky" connections are not good for our guests, or us - so we avoid them whenever we can.

Old August 29th, 2011, 08:07 AM
Cool Cruiser

Troy, thanks for the follow up and Andy, thanks for your help.

Old August 31st, 2011, 11:06 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hi Andy: This site and the info Bill has been providing on another thread about air arrangements is very helpful and is greatly appreciated. It is so impressive to have this kind of support!

On the other current thread I posted what happened when I booked our cruise for Feb, 2012. I'm still not sure how this all happened, but it didn't go well. I'd like to understand more about what is available for future reference (while the Feb cruise will be our first on Azamara I suspect it won't be the last given the great reviews I've read about the onboard experience).

Here's what happened:

During our booking we asked our TA to look into flights. She told us that Azamara would not quote air from our city (we are not a major gateway but are a Provincial Capital City in Canada so there is a good amount of air travel here). Am I correct in understanding that Choice Air does let one book from any city in Canada?

She told us that unlike other airlines where the guest can select the airline (usually for a deviation fee) Azamara would not quote on the airline of our choice (Air Canada). From what you've posted here it sounds like Choice Air does give this kind of flexibility. Why was it not possible here?

Finally, Azamara would not quote on buisness class air or transfers (our cruise was still 8 months away but we thought transfer info would be available). Can business class air be booked on Choice Air? What about transfers - is this all included with Choice Air?

Given what I've read here I am confused as to why Azamara only provided a single economy class booking option on Alaska and United Airlines out of aother city. At no point during any of this did Choice Air come up so as it appeared we had no other option, we booked our flights on our own (and, from the sounds of it, may have paid more than Choice Air and don't have the extras Choice Air offers).

And one additional question (sorry there are so many): We are frequent flyers on Air Canada and usually have upgrade coupons. Is it possible to use these coupons with flights booked on Choice Air?

From what I've heard here, Choice Air sounds good! Thanks agan for all of your help with these kinds of questions!!

Last edited by Carnevale; August 31st, 2011 at 11:08 AM.

Old September 6th, 2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnevale View Post
Hi Andy: This site and the info Bill has been providing on another thread about air arrangements is very helpful and is greatly appreciated. It is so impressive to have this kind of support!

On the other current thread I posted what happened when I booked our cruise for Feb, 2012. I'm still not sure how this all happened, but it didn't go well. I'd like to understand more about what is available for future reference (while the Feb cruise will be our first on Azamara I suspect it won't be the last given the great reviews I've read about the onboard experience).

Here's what happened:

During our booking we asked our TA to look into flights. She told us that Azamara would not quote air from our city (we are not a major gateway but are a Provincial Capital City in Canada so there is a good amount of air travel here). Am I correct in understanding that Choice Air does let one book from any city in Canada?

She told us that unlike other airlines where the guest can select the airline (usually for a deviation fee) Azamara would not quote on the airline of our choice (Air Canada). From what you've posted here it sounds like Choice Air does give this kind of flexibility. Why was it not possible here?

Finally, Azamara would not quote on buisness class air or transfers (our cruise was still 8 months away but we thought transfer info would be available). Can business class air be booked on Choice Air? What about transfers - is this all included with Choice Air?

Given what I've read here I am confused as to why Azamara only provided a single economy class booking option on Alaska and United Airlines out of aother city. At no point during any of this did Choice Air come up so as it appeared we had no other option, we booked our flights on our own (and, from the sounds of it, may have paid more than Choice Air and don't have the extras Choice Air offers).

And one additional question (sorry there are so many): We are frequent flyers on Air Canada and usually have upgrade coupons. Is it possible to use these coupons with flights booked on Choice Air?

From what I've heard here, Choice Air sounds good! Thanks agan for all of your help with these kinds of questions!!
Hi Carnevale,

I understand that some of the information I am providing you is inconsistent with what you experienced over the phone. It sounds like ChoiceAir should have been a great fit for you, unless you purchased a promotional air package with the cruise, which is essentially a "bundled" price for cruise and air that does not provide the flexibility or choice that comes with ChoiceAir. Without understanding the specifics of your situation, I do not know why ChoiceAir was not offered. I am not sure if you also went to the ChoiceAir website to shop on your own. A cruise booking that has an air promotion, will be identified as "ineligible" for ChoiceAir when accessing the booking online.

We do offer service from essentially every city with commercial air service in Canada. I am aware of rare occasions where a city code has been inadvertently ommitted from our site, resulting in our agents taking the bookings over the phone, until the site was updated.

We have a great relationship with Air Canada (including some impressive Europe promotions right now). There is no reason we would not quote Air Canada, unless their flight schedules did not work with the specific sailing, or the desired fare was not available; however, if that happens, we can still look at coming in early and/or returning later to make it work on your prefered carrier.

ChoiceAir can be used for all cabin classes (i.e. Business, First, Economy, Premium Economy).

We offer a wide variety of published and contract fares, and most are eligible for various frequent traveler program benefits. As with fares on other sites, including the airline sites, some fares are not "upgradeable". We will count on you to know the eligibility requirements for your airline program, and our agents will be happy to help you find the best value in the right inventory code for that airline.

Old September 7th, 2011, 12:23 AM
Cool Cruiser

Andy, many thanks for the info from Troy. We didn't book a bundled cruise/air package and sadly, I didn't check out the website when we were booking relying instead on the info our TA was getting from Azamara by phone. We ended up booking our air on our own on Air Canada as there were flights that worked very well with our schedule. Guess the lesson for us is that next time we need to get more involved and check things online. It is very helpful to understand that Choice Air would have worked for exactly what we wanted.

Your help with all of this info is terrific Andy!

Old September 11th, 2011, 09:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Choice Air does offer some great fares. I just booked by one way flight from Rochester - Heathrow for $460 all taxes in for next August on Air Canada. This was the Flex Fare as well so it doesn't need to be paid until final payment but the price is locked in. My preference would have been Toronto - Heathrow but it was $300 per person more so search out several airports around you to find the best fare.

Angela
1994 - Carnival Celebration - Carribean, 1995 - Carnival Fantasy - Carribean, 1997 - Holland America Statendam - Alaska, 1999 - Carnival Sensation - Carribean, 2001 - Carnival Spirit - Panama, 2003 - Carnival Spirit - Carribean, 2006 -Crown Princess - Carribean, 2006 - RCCL -Serenade of the Seas-Hawaii-Vancouver, 2007 -Celebrity Galaxy - Trans Atlantic Puerto Rico - Rome, 2008 - Celebrity Millennium-Aust/New Zealand, 2009 - Celebrity Century - Trans Atlantic Miami - Amsterdam, 2009 - Celebrity Constellation - Carribean, 2010 - Carnival Spirit - Hawaii - Vancouver, 2010 - Celebrity Xpedition - Galapagos, 2011 - Celebrity Summit - Bermuda, 2011 - RCCL-Jewel of the Seas - Caribbean-14 night Boston-Tampa, 2012 - RCCL-Radiance of the Seas-Hawaii-Vancouver, 2012 - RCCL-Jewel of the Seas-London-Boston (Iceland), 2012 - Princess Ruby - Caribbean, 2013 - RCCL-Rhapsody of the Seas-Hawaii-Vancouver, 2014 -Celebrity Infinity - Antarctica, 2014 - Celebrity Summit - Bermuda, 2015 - Celebrity Millennium - Gems of Indonesia

Old September 12th, 2011, 06:41 AM
10,000+ Club

Are tickets purchased through Choice Air consolidator tickets, yes or no?

I thought the question was asked and we were told that Choice Air no longer uses consolidator tickets, but again, being told on the Cruise Air board that these are bundled (consolidator) tickets, so I wanted to confirm. The issue is that consolidator tickets are often not reusable (can not be re-routed) for any fee, or used on another airline.

Old September 12th, 2011, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade13 View Post
Are tickets purchased through Choice Air consolidator tickets, yes or no?
Hi Jade,

Here is Troy's response to your question :

No, We do not use Consolidator tickets.

Last edited by Host Andy; September 12th, 2011 at 06:20 PM.

Old September 28th, 2011, 01:01 PM

Hi Everyone,

As we've answered many outstanding questions from our Cruise Critic community over the past 2 months, it's time to close the ChoiceAir thread to new questions. Thank you for your questions, as they've helped us all learn a great deal about ChoiceAir. This thread will remain available for future reference.

I'd like to share a special Thank You to Troy Martin for meeting with me, and making himself available to answer our questions. Judging from the level of positive feedback and over 24,000 thread views - and counting... I trust you will agree the discussion was highly beneficial !

I firmly believe that direct from the source discussion brings a valuable connection to our community. I hope to visit with future Guests from the Royal Caribbean family. While I cannot make any promises, I will gladly reach out, should there be an interest. I welcome your feedback, and suggestions for future topics. Please contact me, by clicking on the link below.

In wrapping up this discussion, Troy asked to share his comments, below:

Thank you for the opportunity to share information about ChoiceAir. I really appreciate all of the input and thoughtful questions from the Cruise Critic community. I would like to extend special thanks to Host Andy for his professionalism and enthusiasm in facilitating his discussion. It's clear to me that he not only shares the passion and knowledge about cruising that brings this community together, but that he is also very committed personally to the members of the community. I appreciate the time he took to understand ChoiceAir, and to ensure that the answers we gave, met the needs of the members. We at Azamara Club Cruises, Celebrity Cruises, and Royal Caribbean International look forward to welcoming you aboard soon, and I hope that the information we have shared on this forum, will lead you to consider ChoiceAir as an option for purchasing airline tickets to your cruise. Should you have further questions, feel free to reach out to me or my team at choiceair@rccl.com or 800-533-7803.

Closed Thread