Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Air
 
Register here!
Forgot Your Password?


Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:41 PM
NHBob's Avatar
NHBob NHBob is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,011
Default Delta Sky Miles Awards

Have any Delta frequent fliers out there (I'm longer one since moving back up north, but have about 30,000 miles I need to use) heard if Delta has any plans to follow AA/OneWorld and UA/Star Alliance and issue 1-way award tickets for 1/2 round-trip miles?

And no, I haven't called Delta - my past experience has been that getting a straight answer from them about anything, phone or email, is a losing battle.

If I can't use my miles for flights guess I'll have to see what else they will buy.

Thanks in advance.
__________________
Bob Caswell
bobcaswell@metrocast.net
Laconia, NH
Cruises:
Cunard: Vistafjord/Caronia-3/85, 7/91, 6/00, 10/00, 8/01, 7/03, 8/04 QE2-7/99, 3/02, 6/03, 4/07;QM2-2/04
HAL: Old Noordam-6/92;Maasdam-3/98, 8/99, 12/05; Rotterdam-12/00; Amsterdam-8/02;
Prinsendam-11/04; Noordam-9/06; Zuiderdam-3/08
Celebrity: Zenith-2/03
Crystal: Symphony-4/05, 9/05, 2/06, 5/06, 2/07, 9/08 (B2B), 2/10-3/10 (B2B(, 9/10; 3/12 (B2B) 9/12; 4/13 (B2B), 9/13 , 9/14-10/14 B2B (booked)
Serenity, 11/07, 5/09 (B2B), 11/09 (B2B), 12/10, 4//11, 12/11, 11/12, 12/12 , 3/13, 11/13-12/13 (B2B), 1/14 (booked), 1/15 (booked)
Star Clipper, 5/05
Pearl Cruises: Pearl of Scandinavia (later Ocean Pearl)-5/87
Hurtigruten: Trollfjord-1/07
MSC: Lirica - 12/08
Reply With Quote

  #2  
Old October 12th, 2011, 08:56 PM
waterbug123's Avatar
waterbug123 waterbug123 is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 4,640
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHBob View Post
Have any Delta frequent fliers out there (I'm longer one since moving back up north, but have about 30,000 miles I need to use) heard if Delta has any plans to follow AA/OneWorld and UA/Star Alliance and issue 1-way award tickets for 1/2 round-trip miles?
I'm a DL FF and your hear speculation about things like that all the time, but I can't recall hearing anything credible to that effect. However, contrary to popular belief you CAN actually find low mileage (25,000) round trip award tickets, so you actually have enough for a RT domestic ticket. Granted, it takes some planning and flexibility but they are out there. I've seen them, I've booked them. They do exist, LOL.
Alternatively, if you happen to have a Delta Amex you can use the "pay with miles" option that allows you to pay for a ticket partly in miles and partly in cash. That option provides another way to use up quantities of miles that you might not ordinarily be able to.
__________________
Meg

Remembering 28 past cruises:
20 Royal Caribbean, 4 Celebrity, 2 Carnival, 1 Princess, 1 Oceania

Anticipating 3 future cruises:
Quantum of the Seas--3 night Sampler, 11/2014
Brilliance of the Seas--4 night Western, 3/2015
Celebrity Equinox--7 night Greece & Italy, 7/2015
Reply With Quote

  #3  
Old October 12th, 2011, 09:03 PM
ab0si ab0si is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Florida
Posts: 4,026
Default

Bob:

You are a wimp! Call Delta. Get an answer. If they say "yes" it is 50-50 it is the right answer. If they say "no" it is 50-50 it is the right answer. See how much information you gain for only 57 minutes on hold?

I haven't heard anything (rumor or otherwise) about this happening. It would be nice if it happened. But, then, many things would be nice if Delta changed.
Reply With Quote

  #4  
Old October 12th, 2011, 09:15 PM
NHBob's Avatar
NHBob NHBob is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ab0si View Post
Bob:

You are a wimp! Call Delta. Get an answer. If they say "yes" it is 50-50 it is the right answer. If they say "no" it is 50-50 it is the right answer. See how much information you gain for only 57 minutes on hold?

I haven't heard anything (rumor or otherwise) about this happening. It would be nice if it happened. But, then, many things would be nice if Delta changed.
Love this response!

And thanks for your info, waterbug. My problem is that I seldom fly anywhere round trip these days since I'm retired - I'm usually looking for a 1-way ticket to or from a port, and have had very good luck finding them on UA and AA - most recent success is recently booked business class BOS-ZRH-LHR on Swiss for 50,000 miles.

In the meantime, have looked at SkyMiles market place and see that they have a camcorder I've been considering for a while for 26,400 miles.

Bob

Last edited by NHBob; October 12th, 2011 at 09:18 PM.
Reply With Quote

  #5  
Old October 13th, 2011, 08:03 AM
Babr Babr is offline
Cool Cruiser
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 408
Default

I did a search last night on Delta just out of curiosity because I too have miles to use up. There is a one-way search option, but it takes 60,000 miles for 1 economy ticket. That is double what it takes to fly Continental/United.

I was trying to rescue some old abandoned miles and build enough with my American Express card to do a trip to Europe sometime down the road. Now I don't think it is worth the effort. Maybe I can find a domestic ticket for a quick getaway. In the meantime, I'll be using my Continental-linked card because those miles are much easier to use.
Reply With Quote

  #6  
Old October 13th, 2011, 10:18 AM
NHBob's Avatar
NHBob NHBob is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 3,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babr View Post
I did a search last night on Delta just out of curiosity because I too have miles to use up. There is a one-way search option, but it takes 60,000 miles for 1 economy ticket. That is double what it takes to fly Continental/United...
Yes, that's the same thing I found. What's really frustrating is that Delta's awards chart shows miles each way, but only if you buy a round trip!

In the past I charged as much as possible to my Chase/UAL Visa card (1 mile/dollar), but my best deal at the moment is Chase Sapphire Preferred, with two points per dollar charged for travel.

Unfortunately the points are only directly convertible to miles on CO and BA. Hope that this will continue to work for the merged UA/CO frequent flier programs next year. In the meantime, I'm making sure to convert points to OnePass miles ASAP, as OnePass and MileagePlus are now linked.
Reply With Quote

  #7  
Old October 13th, 2011, 10:56 AM
FlyerTalker's Avatar
FlyerTalker FlyerTalker is offline
5,000+ Club
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 6,708
Default

DL is sticking with the R/T awards. Execs have said that one-way travel is too profitable for them (higher yields), so they are keeping it this way.

The reason for the one-way chart is that you may have a trip with one tier of redemption in the outbound direction and a different tier in the return. Or coach one way and first the other. This provides the pricing for each direction in mix and match situations.

Also, by playing around with the system, you can figure out which segment is putting you in the higher category. Personally, I like that they do it this way - makes you do some math, but hey...addition came before Econ 101. Should be easy....right???
__________________
"You can't handle the truth!" -- Col. Nathan R. Jessup

"Anybody who believes they can out-think the airlines' revenue/yield management computer algorithms is, in my view, delusional." -- Gardyloo

"It doesn't really make a blind bit of difference what other people are paying since they're traveling from different airports, on different days, at different times of the year." -- fbgd

"Daddy he hates airplanes, Baby loves to fly. The Lady wants to know the reason why." -- Michael Franks

My standard response to all the questions of "Can I make that early flight home?" or "Can I take a bag that is oversized without paying?":
"Well, you gotta ask yourself....do you feel lucky? Well do you?" -- Inspector Harry Callahan
Reply With Quote

  #8  
Old October 30th, 2011, 11:26 AM
mek mek is offline
Blue Ribbon Cruiser
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: cincinnati, ohio,usa
Posts: 4,650
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterbug123 View Post
I'm a DL FF and your hear speculation about things like that all the time, but I can't recall hearing anything credible to that effect. However, contrary to popular belief you CAN actually find low mileage (25,000) round trip award tickets, so you actually have enough for a RT domestic ticket. Granted, it takes some planning and flexibility but they are out there. I've seen them, I've booked them. They do exist, LOL.
Alternatively, if you happen to have a Delta Amex you can use the "pay with miles" option that allows you to pay for a ticket partly in miles and partly in cash. That option provides another way to use up quantities of miles that you might not ordinarily be able to.
I get 25,000 point RT tickets all the time - they are out there.
__________________
Overview of the past few years
2011
January - Navigator OTS -7 nts, W Caribbean
March -Carnival Fantasy - 6 nts, Bahamas & Key West
May - Millennium, 10 nts, Pacific Coastal
November - Golden Princess, 14 nts, Hawaii

2012
April - Liberty OTS - 14 nts, Transatlantic
October - Carnival Fantasy - 7 nts E Caribbean

2013
March - Carnival Glory - 7 nts, W Caribbean
October - Oasis OTS - 7 nts, Eastern Caribbean

2014
February - Carnival Liberty - 7 nts, W Caribbean
August - Star Princess - 11 nts Alaska
December - Westerdam - 7 nts E Caribbean "Dancing with Stars" theme cruise
Reply With Quote

Reply

Bookmarks


Ad Sponsored By
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:37 AM.


© 1995 - 2014, The Independent Traveler, Inc. All rights reserved.
"A Community of People Who Love To Cruise"
All of the information contained within Cruise Critic is protected by copyright. You may, however, download a single copy only for your personal use.