Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Peter Deilmann Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Peter Deilmann Cruises

Peter Deilmann Cruises Profile & Ship Reviews
Peter Deilmann Member Reviews
Peter Deilmann News
River & Canal Cruising Info from Cruise Critic
Peter Deilmann Cruises Website

Old August 8th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Travel & Leisure's latest survey

Top 10 Small-Ship Cruise Lines
Rank Name Score
1 - Silversea Cruises 88.00
2 - SeaDream Yacht Club 87.37
3 - The Yachts of Seabourn 86.17
4 - Grand Circle Small Ship Cruises 85.88
5 - Lindblad Expeditions 84.32
6 - Windstar Cruises 82.09
7 - Viking River Cruises 80.89
8 - Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection 80.77
9 - Peter Deilmann Cruises 77.38
10 - Star Clippers Cruises 74.54

Old August 9th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Very interesting to see where Deilmann, much tauted on this board, winds up!

Old August 10th, 2008, 05:12 AM
5,000+ Club

orchestrapal,

Thatīs what I wondered last year too. I can only assume that those lists depend on the number of passengers and their reviews. Thatīll explain why GCT and Viking are ranging higher than Deilmann. They both have a large fleet and a lot of customers in the US (GCT mainly US only). Deilmannīs main market is still Germany. Also customer reviews are always a personal opinion. Sure you can have a great cruise experience with all major river cruise lines on the US market. If you havenīt travelled on different lines you give them excellent marks as you donīt have anything to compare to. And definitely there is a big difference in quality and service between Deilmann and Viking or GCT. I also wonder why other major river cruise lines are missing like AMAWaterways, Avalon or Uniworld. They donīt provide a worse product than Viking or GCT.

steamboats

Old August 10th, 2008, 07:52 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

The numbers are definitely skewed! We were always told that statistics can be made to show anything you want them to. With small enough numbers in this poll the accuracy is really questionable.
Tauck which is probably better that all those listed did not even make the top ten!
There is also the element that "you get what you pay for" and at a low price expectations may also be low..
So much for polls.

Old August 10th, 2008, 02:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm not in the position to debate this survey, but just found it kind of interesting. Guess it's just what people think and their opinions. It certainly wasn't a scientific survey. Just found it curious that there were so many satified customers of the so-called "low priced" small ships. By the way by the time you add all the expenses, they aren't low priced at all.
Steamboats, Uniworld is on the list at #8.

Ad Sponsored By
Old August 10th, 2008, 05:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by orchestrapal View Post
The numbers are definitely skewed! We were always told that statistics can be made to show anything you want them to. With small enough numbers in this poll the accuracy is really questionable.
Tauck which is probably better that all those listed did not even make the top ten!
There is also the element that "you get what you pay for" and at a low price expectations may also be low..
So much for polls.
Not sure why you found this survey so upsetting? Just because something cost more does not always mean that it is better.Don't shoot the messenger please.I doubt very much if Travel and Leisure has an axe to grind. I don't see how anyone can compare something that they have no experience with! I am also surprised that Avalon and Amadeus are not on the list. At least this list gives us several companies to consider that others have been happy with.

Steamboats we do appreciate all your valuable input but do you think you are perhaps a little bias because Deilman is a German company and you have cruised with them but not the others?I have not cruised with Deilman and would not even begin to judge them at this point.I guess I could eliminate them just based on the fact that it is a cruise that requires people dress up a lot?

Carhut thanks for posting this,very interesting.

Old August 10th, 2008, 06:16 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Tauck, while a great company, is not a cruise line, so would not be mentioned in the survey - they charter different ships, but do not own any.

Old August 10th, 2008, 07:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

We cruised with Peter Deilmann in 2006. Service and cuisine were impeccible. Therefore, I find their ranking a bit perplexing.

Prior to cruising with Deilmann, we cruised exclusively with Regent. We had very high expectations and Deilmann surpassed those expectations in a big way. In fact, Deilmann's cuisine runs circles around Regent's, IMHO.

We cruised on the MS Cezanne. I will say that I found our cabin decor a bit "tired." However, everything else more than made up for that. I would cruise with Deilmann again, in a heartbeat.

We are cruising with AMA next month. They had the exact intinerary we were looking for - Danube Discovery, beginning and/or ending in Budapest/Prague. We wanted our cruise to begin and end in these cities, so we could extend our visits. However, if Deilmann offered this identical itinerary, we would have gone with Deilmann.

Old August 10th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Cool Cruiser

We will be interested to see how you compare Deilmann to AMA.

Old October 28th, 2008, 12:42 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgo39 View Post
We will be interested to see how you compare Deilmann to AMA.
Us, too. We have booked a river cruise with AMA for October, 2009, but I am not very pleased with the food and tour reviews of late. I've already contacted our TA about these issues, presenting her with some of the posts from CC. I'll switch in a heartbeat if I find that Deilmann is that much superior, or we may just find another itinerary in Europe that interests us. Jury is still out...

Jennifer

Old November 2nd, 2008, 08:38 AM
5,000+ Club

Jennifer,

AMA is offering a very good product. I had a chance to visit the Amadagio back in December 2006 and had dinner on the ship. I did two river cruises with Deilmann (see reviews in my signature).

AMA ships are definitly newer and offer larger cabins and more amenities (like in room entertainment, WiFi) than Deilmann ships (maybe except for the MS Mozart, the cabins are larger there). The fact that the Deilmann ships are much older shouldnīt be any problem. You can be assured that everything is kept in a perfect condition. You wonīt find any worn out carpets or anything you can see that the ship is 20 or more years old. But of course due to the fact that ships were planned different back then the cabins are smaller. As for the amenities you wonīt find WiFi or an in room entertainment system on Deilmann ships but a lot of small details like an umbrella, a shoe horn, a shoe cloth, a sewing kit, a foldable bag, slippers, a robe and stuff you usually find in a 5 star hotel. Compared to that AMA might be 3+ - 4 stars.

As for the food: Same thing. Deilmann offers top notch cuisine (for example we had 10 cooks aboard the Mozart, including one baker and two pastry chefs). Every roll, every bread was freshly baked aboard. Dinners were up to 9 courses. Service was absolutely excellent. How about waiters who look at each other so they can place the plate simultaneously on the table. Thereīs also a sommelier available to help you with the wine selection.

Dress code for dinner is more formal on Deilmann (which DH and I donīt like). Most of the nights shirt and tie were suggested for men (plus jacket). Itīs easier for the women to go with a nice skirt/slacks and a more dressy top. AMA is more casual for dinner.

Other differences: Be aware that Deilmann is a German cruise company tending to the German market. Therefore shore excursions are not included (you might be able to buy a package or select on the first night). Of course shore excursions are available in English. I remember that on our Elbe river cruise a group of four Americans went on a shore tour to Berlin with a van organized by Deilmann (BTW this shore tour wasnīt available for the German passengers). Also depending on the fact that Deilmann is a German company the itineraries are totally different. Due to the size of the ship the Mozart is bound to the Danube river and makes Passau roundtrips only. The Casanova is travelling up and down the Rhine / Main / Danube rivers. The Heidelberg is on the Rhine only. The Dresden is going Dresden-Hamburg on the Elbe river. The Katharina von Bora and Frederick Chopin are doing more or less Berlin to Prague. AMA might offer the more interesting itineraries (from the sight of an US tourist - Iīm German).

Again, you will have a great experience with AMA and with Deilmann. It mainly depends on what you put your emphasis on. If you say I want a perfect dinner experience go for Deilmann. If you want the perfect itinerary AMA might be the better choice.

Itīs up to you.

steamboats

Old November 5th, 2008, 04:20 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

[
Again, you will have a great experience with AMA and with Deilmann. It mainly depends on what you put your emphasis on. If you say I want a perfect dinner experience go for Deilmann. If you want the perfect itinerary AMA might be the better choice.

Itīs up to you.

Steamboats, I don't quite understand why it's an "either/or" proposition...
I know that these river cruises can't be all things to all people, but who among us doesn't desire excellent accomodations, wonderful shore excursions, and delightful cuisine for their adventure?

Jennifer

Old November 6th, 2008, 10:06 AM
5,000+ Club

Jennifer,

Maybe the most luxurious ship is currently the new Premicon Queen. This ship might offer all. See www.premicon-queen.de

In total Iīd range AMA 3+-4 stars. Deilmann is definitely 5 stars (compared to hotels). Both companies are definitely "playing in different leagues". With AMA the itineraries are more adjusted to US passengers. Deilmann itineraries are more adjusted to German passengers. And Deilmann cabins (except for the Mozart) are definitely smaller than those on AMA ships.

Itīs up to you what you prefer most. I never spend much time in my cabin on a river cruise. So I donīt mind if itīs small. Iīm only there for sleeping and using the bathroom. My first interest is the itinerary and for a good itinerary I can accept "little downsides".

And of course Deilmann is a bit more pricey than AMA.

steamboats

Old November 6th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Cool Cruiser

Steamboats, you're right, of course, and you'll have to pardon my previous post, I was just venting a bit of frustration! I love the way the Premicon Queen looks, but am sure that I'd have to mortgage our home to pay for a cruise on it....LOL!

I really don't know what we'll do. Our TA is traveling with AMA this month and will report back on her trip. She is familiar with our travel style so perhaps she will provide the information we need to make our choice.

Either way, we're determined to do a river cruise in 2009, so perhaps I need a good dose of your advice every couple of days to keep it all in perspective! Thanks, as always, for your reply!

Jennifer

Old November 6th, 2008, 01:37 PM
5,000+ Club

Jennifer,

Youīre more than welcome!

steamboats

Old November 7th, 2008, 04:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benita View Post
Tauck, while a great company, is not a cruise line, so would not be mentioned in the survey - they charter different ships, but do not own any.
Tauck has 3 river cruise boats The Swiss Sapphire, Emerald and Jewel. They look very luxurious.Just got there brochure also very upscale, judging by the price.

Old November 7th, 2008, 08:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'd take those scores with a grain of salt. Even within the same line, different ships can offer different experiences. For example, Viking ranks higher in the survey than Deilmann does, but Deilmann's CASANOVA is more luxurious (in terms of cabin fittings, if nothing else) than VIKING BURGUNDY. (I can't vouch for other Deilmann or Viking ships, since those are the only two I've tried.)

Personal tastes are a factor, too. Some American cruisers enjoy the more cosmopolitan feel of Deilmann ships (which cater to both European and non-European travelers), while others prefer to travel with fellow Americans and Canadians.

Bottom line: Any line on a T&L or CNT Top 10 list is likely to be plenty good enough, so don't obsess about scores and rankings--instead, do your homework and find the cruise experience that best fits your tastes and preferences.

Old October 7th, 2009, 04:02 AM
Cool Cruiser

I know,Top 10 Small-Ship Cruise Lines
Rank Name Score
1 - Silversea Cruises 88.00
2 - SeaDream Yacht Club 87.37
3 - The Yachts of Seabourn 86.17
4 - Grand Circle Small Ship Cruises 85.88
5 - Lindblad Expeditions 84.32
6 - Windstar Cruises 82.09
7 - Viking River Cruises 80.89
8 - Uniworld Boutique River Cruise Collection 80.77
9 - Peter Deilmann Cruises 77.38
10 - Star Clippers Cruises 74.54

Old October 26th, 2011, 09:40 AM
Cool Cruiser

I'm not in the state to disputation this looking, but just plant it charitable of intriguing. Approximation it's fitting what fill judge and their opinions. It certainly wasn't a scientific summary. Righteous saved it funny that there were so umpteen satified customers of the so-called "low priced" weeny ships. By the way by the measure you add all the expenses, they aren't low priced at all.
Steamboats,

Old November 12th, 2011, 05:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default LittleRedJohn

I thought Deilmann had gone bankrupt. Is their cruise ship the Deutschland still sailing, or do they only do river cruises?