Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Clipper Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old January 30th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade13 View Post
one? Dd you book within a month of the sailing?
Sorry it's been so long for a reply. I'm in the midst of booking two trips and I lost track of this posting. Anyway, we booked in October for the December cruise to Antarctica, so that was pretty close to the sailing date. We are on the mailing list for ExpeditionTrips.com and we're very flexible with our travel most of the time. My husband is semi-retired and I'm fully retired. It came on my email and we booked. I guess they had some last minute availability. Still, if you go on their website, you can see many trips to Antarctica with very good discounts.

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 30th, 2007, 02:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade13 View Post
the payment and cancellation policy is scary!

No Credit Cards and payment by wire transfer. Within 90 days 100% of payment is due and if you cancel and haven't payed you still owe it.

Btw, there Galapagos cruise looks like half the price we paid for the Master Suite two years ago. I suppose they are good if you can travel last minute..like make a 3-4 week decision?

Why would someone pay a deposit before 90 days?

Cancellation Policy
2006-2007 Season
All requests for cancellations must be received in writing. Cancellations received 90 days prior to departure are fully refunded less an administrative fee of $500 per person. Please note that within the 90 day limit all deposits and tariffs are forfeited. If cancellation occurs within the 90 day period and full payment has not yet been received, the full penalty will still apply and unpaid monies are due immediately.

2007-2008 Season
If cancellation is received up to 150 days prior to departure, deposits are refundable, less a $500 administrative fee per person. If cancellation is received between 149 and 90 days prior to departure, deposits are non-refundable.

For the Sarpik Ittuk 01/14/08 & Orlova 01/15/08 trips to Antarctica, Falklands & South Georgia please note that if cancellation is received up to 180 days prior to departure, deposits are refundable less a $500 administrative fee per person. If cancellation is received between 179 and 90 days prior to departure, deposits are non refundable. If cancellation occurs within the 90 day period and full payment has not yet been received, the full penalty will still apply and unpaid monies are due immediately.
We booked last minute on both our trips and never had a problem because we didn't have to cancel, but we always take out cancellaltion insurance to cover the last minute cancellation policy. This company has been around for quite awhile. My niece just used them for her honeymoon and hers was not a last minute trip.

Old January 31st, 2007, 08:39 AM
10,000+ Club

Thank you for the reply. Can I ask who has cancellation insurance? Do you find one company better than another?

Thanks again.

Old January 31st, 2007, 11:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Espeditiontrips and Insurance

I have actually booked quite a few trips through Expeditiontrips and never had a problem. I have a favorite travel agent so she does all the booking for me. I think she gets some kind of percentage which I would not get by doing it myself.

Also, as to insurance - there is a great website www.insuremytrip.com where you can enter your trip information and it will give you a lot of selections. Personally, I have carried Access America and CSA. I don't think you can get cancellation by itself but will have to buy a "whole" policy.

Old January 31st, 2007, 12:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Jade and Louise,
That is the insurance website we always use for choosing our policy. I always look for the companies that are in the A range and then look for things like coverage if an agency goes out of business or for preexisting illnesses because of my 95 yr. old mother. Jackie

Old January 31st, 2007, 05:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leiter View Post
Can you tell me which expedition company you booked with? Our favorite trip so far was in the Galapagos on a ship with 85 persons, very expensive and we booked directly with the cruise campany. My husband didn't like the food but then he is a chef.

Anyway, which company? How much is the travel insurance as I know its mandatory?
Hi Leiter,

Travel insurance will be in the 4.5% to 10% range of the cost of your trip. You'll want to look for a plan that as relatively high emergency medical & transportation coverage. IMHO $50,000 emergency medical & $250,000 emergency medical transportation coverage is enough.

Watch out for the plans that don't have per person coverage. Some well known & less expensive plans have limits that are per policy & not per person.

You should shop around. You'll get better plans for a lot less money. Go to www.google.com and search for "trip insurance". You'll find some good comparison sites that offer reputable companies.

I hope this helps.

Old January 31st, 2007, 06:46 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Insurance

O.K. Steve, you seem like you are an expert in travel insurance - I would really like some information. In looking at differing policies, I am reading in some that if you have to be medically evacuated, no matter if the coverage is $1,000,000, you will only be transported to the closest hospital or medical facility capable of providing treatment. This is scary if you want to be home and will be hospitalized for an extended period and cannot sit in an ordinary airline seat to travel home. I have had Medjet Assist for several years now to cover me in the advent of any unforeseen circumstance. I tend to travel to some pretty out of the way places. Am I reading the policies correctly or have I gone overboard? Thanks for any advice.

Old February 1st, 2007, 01:47 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise22 View Post
O.K. Steve, you seem like you are an expert in travel insurance - I would really like some information. In looking at differing policies, I am reading in some that if you have to be medically evacuated, no matter if the coverage is $1,000,000, you will only be transported to the closest hospital or medical facility capable of providing treatment. This is scary if you want to be home and will be hospitalized for an extended period and cannot sit in an ordinary airline seat to travel home. I have had Medjet Assist for several years now to cover me in the advent of any unforeseen circumstance. I tend to travel to some pretty out of the way places. Am I reading the policies correctly or have I gone overboard? Thanks for any advice.
Hi Louise22,

I like Medjet Assist - I've worked with them for a few years. The only drawback to them & other similar ones is that they only pay the cost of the transport, not any of the costs associated with medical treatment. This is fair because they truthfully only offer emergency transport services, although many people I've spoke with assume emergency transport service companies also pay the other costs.

You are correct that some (imho many) plans only medically evacuate the insured person to the closest hospital or medical facility capable of providing treatment. This is different from going to a medical facility with standards equal to US standards. Insurance policies are carefully worded so you can't assume every policy will cover you the same way.

Along these lines, you may have to be first transported to a medical facility with standards not quite equal to US standards because the insurance company doesn't want you to die or get worse through its negligence. However, some policies will then move you to a better medical facility when you can be moved again.

The saying "you get what you pay for" most definitely applies to travel insurance. One of the most surprising things I find are the number of people who want the lowest possible cost for their travel insurance, but they don't realize what they are giving up.

I don't mean that we encourage people to get the most expensive plans, because some choices are clearly overpriced. However, when planning a trip that's on the more expensive side, you could ruin your vacation trying to cut corners on the travel insurance.

Something else travel insurance can cover is when you "cannot sit in an ordinary airline seat to travel home". Many plans will pay the cost for extra seats if you have to lie down.

I hope this helps.

Old February 1st, 2007, 10:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Insurance

Steve - thank you so much for your response. Trip insurance companies have been very fair to me - I have collected on four different occasions in the past 10 years. Once when my husband's Mother died and another when he had to have open heart surgery. One was a trip to Egypt and the other Africa. Also, we had to be transported off an island in the South Pacific by helicopter when a hurricane was coming and we needed to make our flight home and another when we were the victims of theft of all our documents in Turkey.

I always try and advise my friends and most of the time it doesn't do any good. I am happy you verified that I was reading the policies correctly so I am not giving out misinformation. I am insured for two trips this year but will check your website out in the future.

Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:30 AM
10,000+ Club

Here is the information that I received from InsureMyTrip.com. I was asking about cancellation insurance. (What if a close relative has a heart
attach a few day before I am to travel and I need to cancel? My other concern is if someone who is supposed to care for our pets suddenly backs out?) So, I guess the question is whether M.H. Ross and TravelSafe offer emergency evacuation to an American standard hospital?

I am traveling on Holland America for our next trip, purchased their platinum plan because I can get 90% back on my credit card (minus the insurance cost of course) if I decide not to go 24 hours in advance. They say they have the best policy, so it must be true. 90% is a lot better than 75%, but perhaps that is the best you can do in Antartica and other remote places?

I am also not clear how the purchase within 15 days works for those reserving cruises with the $100 deposits (large cruise like Princess and now HAL)

Response:

"Thank you for using InsureMyTrip.com.
We do offer "cancel for any reason" policies with two package policies.
M.H.Ross and TravelSafe. Please read below the qualifications for this coverage. **Must purchase one of these policies within 15-days of your first trip payment or deposit.**
Optional Cancel For Any Reason Benefit:
If you cancel your Trip for any reason not otherwise covered by this policy, we will reimburse you for 75% of the prepaid, forfeited, non-refundable Payments or Deposits you paid for your Trip provided:
1. your enrollment form and premium payment is received (or, if mailed, is
post-marked) within 15 days of the date your initial deposit/payment for your Trip is received; and
2. you insure all prepaid Trip costs that are subject to cancellation penalties or restrictions and also insure within 15 days of the payment for those arrangements the cost of any subsequent arrangements (or any other arrangements not made through your travel agent) added to your Trip; and
3. you cancel your Trip two (2) days or more before your Scheduled Trip Departure Date.
The package policies are designed for travelers going on a single trip.
They can
be used for Cruises, Tours, Flights, House Rentals and a world of other trip types.
All offer Trip Cancellation, Baggage, Medical, Dental, Emergency Evacuation, 24 Hour Traveler Assistance, Baggage Delay, Travel Delay, and Accidental Death Coverages. Some policies also have options for Collision/Damage coverage for rented cars, Flight Insurance (a form of Accidental Death Coverage while flying
only) and added Emergency Evacuation insurance. Some package policies include coverage for children at no extra charge.
Please use the link below to obtain a quote and purchase right online.
http://www.insuremytrip.com/myquote-package-1000-0-10015-43.html
Please let us know if you have any further questions or need additional information.

Sincerely,
Debra
InsureMyTrip.com Customer Service
service@insuremytrip.com
(Mon-Fri 9:00-9:00 ET)
(Sat,Sun 9:00-5:00 ET)
(800) 487-4722
(401) 773-9300
(401) 921-4530 fax"

Old February 3rd, 2007, 09:43 AM
10,000+ Club

Also, we are still working so I think that my PPO would cover the medical portion (it may only be 70& out of Network). I would need to check if the travel insurance covers the difference.

Old September 26th, 2010, 09:53 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Has anyone cruised Clipper Adventurer

Has anyone ever been on an Australian cruise? What cruise line did you use? How long was the Cruise? Where did your ship depart from? What were your ports of Call?

Old December 30th, 2011, 01:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

The Clipper Adventurer was chartered by Ice Axe Expeditions in Truckee, California for a ski mountaineering cruise November 9-20, 2011. My daily reports and pictures here, along with references to some professional photography. http://www.firsttracksonline.com/boa...wforum.php?f=6

This was an amazing trip. If you see a big cruise company like Princess or Royal Caribbean with an Antarctic itinerary, they are scenic cruising only. You are not allowed to land more than 100 people in Antarctica at one time. Therefore any trip with landings is a small expedition ship for a minimum of 10 days. There were a very few inside cabins for $6,900 but I was in a porthole cabin for $7,600 per person. This price is very much in line with what I've seen for other Antarctic small ship cruises that do not involve skiing. Sometimes those cruises may package in airfare from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia and maybe a couple of hotel nights. When you consider that Ice Axe leader Doug Stoup must get approvals from the Antarctic Treaty Organization for potential ski sites and bring 25 mountaineering guides on the ship, I was frankly relieved that the trip did not cost more.

For the Ice Axe cruise you will also have to pay your own airfare to Buenos Aires (~$1,000), probably at least one night there and then Argentine airfare down to Ushuaia (~$400). We had 2 nights in Ushuaia and the Ice Axe package included one of them plus a dinner. If you do not own alpine touring gear you must buy all of that plus harness, crampons, ice axe and a few other mountaineering incidentals. If you're starting from scratch you're probably looking at ~$1,500 minimum in equipment.

For dedicated skiers I recommend this trip highly. This time there were only 6 non-skiers among the ~100 passengers. Doug Stoup consulted every day with the ship Captain and with Quark Expedition leaders to find the best weather for landings and best ski sites. Plans were changed on the fly frequently. This is a customized level of service rarely seen on cruise ships.

The first Ice Axe cruise was in 2009. It will be repeated in November 2013 and most likely every second year after that given the strong word of mouth. http://www.iceaxe.tv/expedition/anta...a-cruise-2011/

Celebrity Mercury - 8/01 - Alaska
Celebrity Galaxy - 6/04 - Mediterranean Transit of Venus
RCI Mariner of the Seas - 11/05 - Western Caribbean
Sonesta Sun Goddess - 3/06 - Nile River
RCI Adventure of the Seas - 11/06 - Southern Caribbean
Costa Classica - 7/09 - Far East Solar Eclipse
Paul Gauguin - 7/10 - Tahiti Solar Eclipse
Clipper Adventurer - 11/11 Antarctica Ski Mountaineering
Mermaid I - 8/12 - Bali-Komodo Scuba Diving
Mike Ball Spoilsport - 11/12 Cairns-Coral Sea Scuba Diving
Emerald Princess - 11/13 - Southern Caribbean

Last edited by Tony8489; December 30th, 2011 at 01:35 AM.