Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise/Travel Insurance

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old January 12th, 2012, 10:48 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Trip insurance

Cruise care insurance or buy insurance on your own?? If you don't book your airfare through the cruise line it probably doesn't cover, correct??? i always buy on my own but was just wondering.

Old January 12th, 2012, 11:04 AM
Cool Cruiser

I've always purchased insurance on my own as I find better coverage elsewhere. Check out Insuremytrip dot com for options. If you need to cover your airfare, I would ask the cruise line to make sure.

Old January 12th, 2012, 11:30 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball fan View Post
I've always purchased insurance on my own as I find better coverage elsewhere. Check out Insuremytrip dot com for options. If you need to cover your airfare, I would ask the cruise line to make sure.
I agree, other covrage usually is a lot better than what the cruise line offers, and usually cheaper too.

Old January 12th, 2012, 11:43 AM
10,000+ Club

If you are elderly you may find that the cruise line insurance is cheapest (as it is the same price irrespective of one's age); if not then you should be able to find a better policy than the cruise line offers for less money. Insuremytrip.com is a great website for researching policies.

Completed Cruises:
Celebrity Xpedition - October 5, 2014 - Galapagos (Seals, Penguins and Boobies, Oh My)!
RCI Allure of the Seas - September 2, 2012 - Eastern Caribbean (Aft Boardwalk Balcony; 24 Restaurants in 7 Days)!
Celebrity Millennium - May 27, 2012 - Pacific Coastal Wine Cruise with Temecula, San Diego, and Vancouver Land Add On (Sky Suite GTY)
Celebrity Millennium - February 20, 2012 - Western Caribbean (Adult Spring Break: SoBe, Millie & The Penthouse)
Celebrity Silhouette - September 27, 2011 - Holy Land (Concierge Class)
Celebrity Equinox - October 31, 2010 - Mediterranean & Westbound Transatlantic with the Hobgoblins (First Suite)
Celebrity Equinox - December 4, 2009 - Southern Caribbean (Aqua Class "Hump" Stateroom)
RCI Jewel of the Seas - January 9, 2009 - Panama Canal Cruise with the Panamaniacs!
Celebrity Century - April 28, 2008 - Transatlantic: Miami to Amsterdam Honeymoon Cruise with the Centurions!
HAL Noordam - May 13, 2007 - Alaska Inside Passage
RCI Adventure of the Seas - November 26, 2006 - Eastern Caribbean
RCI Grandeur of the Seas - February 11, 2006 - Western Caribbean
RCI Enchantment of the Seas - January 8, 2005 - Western Caribbean

Old January 12th, 2012, 12:08 PM
Cool Cruiser

We always buy our own, so I can't say for sure, but I don't think the Cruiseline Insurance covers pre-existing conditions. That can be a pretty important feature.

plus
Lynn (& Jim)

Coming up: Solstice 4/15(H) Sailed: Solstice 9/14(A),Summit 4/14(B),Carnival Dream 1/14(W),Freedom 11/13(W),Fascination 8/13(B),Radiance 5/13(A),Oasis 2/13(W),Oasis 10/12(W),Radiance 05/12(A),Jewel 02/12(W),Monarch 12/11(B),Allure 10/11(E),Infinity 05/11(A),Navigator 02/11(W),Radiance 10/10(W),Serenade 04/10(S),Navigator B2B 02/10(W),Freedom 09/09(W),Enchantment 09/09(W),Monarch 07/09(B),Radiance 05/09(A),Navigator 02/09 (W),Mariner 09/08(E),Mariner 03/08(E),Mariner 12/07(E),Spirit 04/07(H),Miracle 10/06(W),Radiance 03/06(W),Caribbean Princess 09/05(E),Mariner 02/05(W),Constellation 03/04(E),Spirit 04/03(H),Spirit 02/02 (S),Explorer 10/01(E),Victory 01/01(W),Rhapsody 04/00(H)(wedding & honeymoon),Enchantment 05/99(W),Vision 12/98(PC),Legend 05/98(H),Fascination 01/98(S),Imagination 01/96(W),Sensation 01/94(W)43/246(28)/359(4)

Ad Sponsored By
Old January 12th, 2012, 12:24 PM
40,000+ Club

If you opt for cruiseline insurance, make sure you tell the cruise line (or travel agent as appropriate) that you wish to purchase it immediately. Otherwise, even though it might show up on your invoice, it's not technically in force until you make cruise final payment.

Past Cruises

Celebrity: Mercury
RCCL: Adventure, Allure, Enchantment, Explorer, Freedom, Independence, Legend, Liberty, Majesty, Mariner, Monarch, Navigator, Radiance, Rhapsody, Serenade, Sovereign, Voyager

Last edited by clarea; January 12th, 2012 at 12:27 PM.

Old January 12th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shammy1 View Post
Cruise care insurance or buy insurance on your own?? If you don't book your airfare through the cruise line it probably doesn't cover, correct??? i always buy on my own but was just wondering.
RCI's CruiseCare insurance does indeed cover independently booked air. Here's some relevant portions of the plan document:

"The CruiseCare Travel Insurance Program provides coverage for independently booked
air,
accident and sickness medical benefits, evacuation, baggage protection and much
more. Underwritten by Stonebridge Casualty Insurance Company."

"PART A. TRAVEL ARRANGEMENT PROTECTION
Trip Cancellation for Independently Booked Air....................................Up To Total Original Airfare Cost
Trip Interruption for Independently Booked Air........................Up To 150% of Total Original Airfare Cost"

Getting back to the question of value. #1 as previously noted the CruiseCare cost is not based on the traveler's age so those in the upper age brackets pay what someone in their 30's would pay. #2 By being able to cover your air tickets at no additional cost there can be another savings compared to using a third-party insurer and insuring the cruise+air. The CruiseCare plan has a Cancel For Any Reason benefit at no additional cost (I don't believe the CAR benefit applies to independently booked air).

The "never buy the cruise line's insurance" meme was certainly a valid one years ago as the plans were pretty weak but they've come a long way toward being very competitive for some cruisers. Like any travel insurance policy they're not for everyone but when doing your homework you should at least take a look.

Last edited by cruiseco; January 12th, 2012 at 01:34 PM.

Old January 12th, 2012, 02:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

I need to know more about this- I thought you basically had to buy insurance within very short time of when you booked your cruise, (or air?) otherwise it was pointless. Well, I booked last February for the cruise, booked in Sept. or so for the air, and have yet to buy insurance. What if anything do I have as options at this point? I probably won't even be able to buy insurance until mid-late February. Final payment is March 13 or so.

??

My Only Cruise: Allure of the Seas- May 2012!
My Allure of the Seas Trip Report- There IS No Reader's Digest Version!!

The Crew:
Captain Mama D- 39 (at sailing)
First Mate- Daughter Shannon- 18
Second Mate- Daughter Jasmine- 18

and The Swab- Little Man Adam- 11

Old January 13th, 2012, 11:59 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaCruiserMom View Post
I need to know more about this- I thought you basically had to buy insurance within very short time of when you booked your cruise, (or air?) otherwise it was pointless. Well, I booked last February for the cruise, booked in Sept. or so for the air, and have yet to buy insurance. What if anything do I have as options at this point? I probably won't even be able to buy insurance until mid-late February. Final payment is March 13 or so.

??
For most third-party insurers you can actually buy your policy up until the day prior to your departure.

The insurers realize that the closer you get to your departure date the less likely you are to buy a policy. So they throw out several inducements to buy your policy early -- often within 14 to 21 days of making your first payment on the trip. These can include coverages such as:

1) Coverage for pre-existing medical conditions
2) Cancel For Any Reason coverage
3) Financial default coverage

Yes, if you wait those benefits won't be availiable to you but everything else will be.

Old January 20th, 2012, 06:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thank you! I have looked over different policies several times since I booked the cruise back in February, but honestly, I can't really tell much about which policy would be most appropriate for me to buy, which company to use, etc. I am fairly young, don't have any pre-existing conditions, etc. My kids are all in good health, but my daughter did have jaw surgery this week, which I can't imagine could possibly have any impact on the trip, since it's four months away. Can anybody tell me what I should look for or which company might be a good match? I don't want to spend a bundle but I don't want to lose an even bigger bundle because of some freakish unforeseen event that we never even contemplated the possibility of!

My Only Cruise: Allure of the Seas- May 2012!
My Allure of the Seas Trip Report- There IS No Reader's Digest Version!!

The Crew:
Captain Mama D- 39 (at sailing)
First Mate- Daughter Shannon- 18
Second Mate- Daughter Jasmine- 18

and The Swab- Little Man Adam- 11

Old January 21st, 2012, 04:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklaCruiserMom View Post
Thank you! I have looked over different policies several times since I booked the cruise back in February, but honestly, I can't really tell much about which policy would be most appropriate for me to buy, which company to use, etc. I am fairly young, don't have any pre-existing conditions, etc. My kids are all in good health, but my daughter did have jaw surgery this week, which I can't imagine could possibly have any impact on the trip, since it's four months away. Can anybody tell me what I should look for or which company might be a good match? I don't want to spend a bundle but I don't want to lose an even bigger bundle because of some freakish unforeseen event that we never even contemplated the possibility of!

I feel like you. The policies are overwhelming and have so much info to read over before purchase. I am looking at insuremytrip dot com and there is a lot to look at!

Old January 21st, 2012, 09:53 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by disneyyahoo View Post
I feel like you. The policies are overwhelming and have so much info to read over before purchase. I am looking at insuremytrip dot com and there is a lot to look at!
I'd start br calling insurenytrip (or any of the other comparison site) and with just a couple of questions I'm sure they can narrow your best choices down to just two or three. At that point read the fine print for those choices and get answers to any questions you might have then purchase your policy.

There's no need to slog through the fine print of 20+ plans if someone can easily toss out 80% pf them in just a couple of minutes.