Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Orient Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old October 24th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Marco Polo & Orient - The Best

We enjoyed all three of our MP cruises (Baltics, Med from UK to Athens and the best - Barcelona to Buenos Aires alas on the last voyage cycle of Orient. We have cruised again of course and enjoyed our trips with OAT's small ship along the Dalmatian coast and with RCL to the Caribbean but we have been spoiled by the MP experience. The unique older ship with the beautiful stern bar and lounge area were our favorites. We had coffee and breakfast there every morning and the days just drifted by as we looked at the horizon mezmerized. This size and age of ship set the standard for us. We are in our mid and early 60's and found the pace wonderful. The staff made these voyages as much as any destination or ship amenity. Would we go again and ask our friends and relatives who joined us in the past if a similar ship and crew were available? Absolutely! Long cruises to New Zealand and Australia, the Orient, or South America sounds great to us. Just make the ports unique and the old and new passengers as wonderful as in the past. Good luck with making it work.

Oldcruiser1

Last edited by oldcruiser1; October 24th, 2010 at 08:15 PM.

Old December 3rd, 2010, 08:28 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hi All Orient Lines Polo Club members and Fans

We at Orient Lines would Like to wish all A Holiday Season filled with Joy.

Also I wanted to let you know we will be aggressively looking for the right ship in 2011 and hopefully a return to cruise service by late 2012 or 2013. In the meantime we continue to monitor this board & the Facebook Orient Lines page for Destination suggestions or any other input to make Orient Lines the Best Destination based cruise lines in the World.

Smooth sailing to all.

Wayne Heller
President, Orient Lines
Queen Mary 2
Discovery
Maxim Gorkiy
Pacific
Marco Polo
Holiday
Celebration
Star Clipper
Delta Queen
Yankee Clipper
Regel Empress
Fairwind
Rotterdam
Majestic
Emerald Sea
Dolphin
SS Norway
Southward
Starward
Skyward
Sunward II
Sunward
Niew Amsterdam
SS Yarmouth Castle

Old December 4th, 2010, 09:26 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Interested

I haven't been to this board in months, but want to add my interest in Orient Lines being revived, either on the MP or a similar ship. One thing I really liked about the old Orient was that passengers were given time to enjoy the beginning and ending ports. Please continue that and keep the cruises at a reasonable cost.

Old December 5th, 2010, 09:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hoping for a revival of Orient Lines

Just received our Voyages of Discovery brochure for 2011 and 2012 cruises. They are going to India and that is my next destination. Looking for a small ship and it looks like this will be our answer. they have about 4 choices. the times of the year make it for me- March. Oceania goes there but in later spring and summer. Wish another ship would come along. Did take Discovery once to Antarctica. Enjoyed it but really enjoyed our 2 Marco Polo cruises. Especially want to have a land program from Mumbai to see the Taj Mahal. Discovery is affordable.

Old March 6th, 2011, 02:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Smile

Really miss the MP. Truly a great cruise destination intensive product. The 2010 SOLAS put one excellent company and product out of circulation. Would sign up for Australia/New Zealand immediately and the same for the South Pacific islands with Singapore. Please keep searching for an acceptable vessel and the same great Philipino, service beyond compare, stlyed cruise staff.

Old April 16th, 2011, 08:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'm still a Polo Club member, #136087 (different last name back then) and have fond memories of sailing from Athens to Cape Town for 5 weeks in '97, then reboarding after MC was in drydock for 10 days and sailing over to Buenos Aires and on to Antarctica. In '98 we boarded MC in Singapore and disembarked in Mumbai.
Every time I'd run into MC in a port somewhere my heart skipped a beat and I would stand there and look at it and smile. A very special ship indeed, with Capts. Eric and Roland. Steve Lewis was a great CD, as was the maitre'd, whose name escapes me at the moment.

Holland-America -233 days (plus some freebie days)
Westerdam 1996
Zaandam 2000
Noordam 2003
Amsterdam 2004, 49 days around South America
Zuiderdam 2006, Alaska
Veendam 2007
Ryndam 2007, Sea of Cortez
Veendam 2008
Maasdam 2008, Montreal to FLL
Maasdam 2009, Fll to Montreal
Ryndam, Nov. 2009

Ryndam, Jan. 2013
Veendam, July 2013, Voyage of Vikings, 35 days

Ryndam, HAL, 14 days, Dec. 2013
Amsterdam, HAL, 34 days, April/May 2014, Panama Canal
& Alaska

Princess - 257 days
Sea 2005
Star 2006
Sun 2006
Caribbean 2007
Emerald 2007, Inaugeral TA
Emerald ... 2007
Sapphire 2008, Australia to LA
Grand Princess 2008, TA, 3 continents
Grand Princess 2009
Pacific Princess2009, Amazon
Coral Princess, 2010, Panama Canal
Crown Princess 2011
Ruby Princess 2011, TA
Grand Princess, 2011
Emerald Princess, 2012
Royal Princess, 7 days, Jan. 2014

NCL - 38 days
Southward 1979
Norway 1995
Norway 1996
Spirit 2005, Panama Canal

Royal Caribbean - 7 days
Song of Norway 1977

Premier - 21 days
Seawind 1995
Seabreeze1999

Orient - 76 days
Marco Polo 1997..Athens to Antarctica
Marco Polo 1998..Singapore to India

Celebrity - 26 days
Summit 2002, Hawaii
Millenium 2006, South America

Carnival - 4 days
Sensation 2002

Regency - 63 days
Regent Sea 1994, 49 days South America
Regent Rainbow 1995
Regent Rainbow 1995, Alaska

American-Hawaiian - 7 days
Independence 1997, Hawaii

Regal - 7 days
Empress ... 1998

Oceania - 12 days

Regatta April 2013, 12 days (Bermuda)

ETC. - 42 days
Norwegian Coastal Steamer 1999
Yangtze River Boat (China) 2000
Alaska Ferry System 2001
River Boat 2005 Danube
American-Canadian Cruises,Lake Michigan 2006
River Cruise...Holland & Belgium, 2012

FUTURE CRUISES
Ruby Princess, 49 days, South America, Jan 2015

Maasdam, HAL, 50 days, Oct-Dec. 2015

Old May 8th, 2011, 12:18 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I'd book Marco Polo again, in a heartbeat. Personally, I love the smaller ships.

Sadly for me, all of my favorite ships are now gone; Marco Polo, Vistafjord, and Sagafjord. I'm making do on the smallest large ships; but that doesn't mean that I'm loving the experiences. I hate being a number.

Two of my most cherished possessions are the maps of my Antarctic voyages, signed by all of the lecturers and officers. They cost me a mint to get them, but I love opening and looking at them. When I evacuate during hurricane season, they go with me.

I'll keep checking back for updates. Mr. Heller, I hope that 2012 is THE year....

Old June 10th, 2011, 01:32 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Miss the Marco Polo and Orient Lines

I would love to go back to the Med and Europe. Please bring back the Marco Polo or a similar ship and size is important. I loved the fact we had a ship where you didnt have to have 3,000 people running around.

Old July 4th, 2011, 04:32 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

When we sailed on Orient, we chose it for the itinerary (Baltic & Scandinavian), which we loved, so it was a good decision.

OTOH, the cruising experience was the worst we've ever had. The cabin was so tiny that, if one of us was up and about, the other had to sit on the bed. The ship's decor bordered on shabby.

The food was mediocre, and there were a number of times when we couldn't get something that was on the menu. For example, at lunch in the MDR, I ordered a BLT. I was told they were "out"! Of what? Bread? Tomatoes? Lettuce? Bacon? Things they use in mutliple items every day?

The MDR service was mediocre. The waiter seemed unhappy to be doing his job, never remembered anything we liked every night for 14 mights--complicated things like iced tea and coffee. Even when we asked, we often didn't get what we requested. And special requests? No way! Expensive things like a plate of onion rings for the table when several people ordered steaks that came with one onion ring.

The entertainment wasn't as good as most high school productions. There were times when it was hard not to laugh at the performers' ineptitude.

Are we glad we went? Absolutely! Could Orient put together an itinerary so perfectly suited to us that we'd sail them again? I doubt it.

Old July 8th, 2011, 01:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Well, I don't know what the passage of time has done. But one of our first cruise was on the old Crown Odyssey - one of the two ships that were flying the Orient flag at that time.

We loved the service and the ship so much that we took another voyage on the ship but at that time, it had reverted to the Norwegian Cruise people but still maintained some of the crew members.

The Crown Odyssey/NCL Crown still sails - (refurbished and lengthen, to be sure under the Fred Olsen flag) - but we remember the ship and crew with great fondness.

We look forward to seeing if Orient will sail again and what cruisers will think of the "new" Orient. Who knows, maybe our Polo membership will still be recognized!

Old August 15th, 2011, 12:01 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default millennium cruise

only sailed on marco polo once: end of the year, end of the century, end of the earth to antarctica. was without a doubt the best of many many cruises and cruise lines we've been on. the ship and hotel staff could not have been better. after returning to ship from a zodiac landing, the crew would scrape the penguin poop off your boots, offer you a hot toddy, sit you down, and help remove your wellies. then you'd go to your staterooom, shower, change into your formal wear, head to the lounge outside the dining room, and enjoy a martini or glass of champagne before entering for a great dinner. great service, great crew, great cruise line. we miss them, and would sail again with them in a heartbeat.

Last edited by the simpsons; August 15th, 2011 at 12:04 AM.

Old August 17th, 2011, 06:28 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellybutton530 View Post
I'd book Marco Polo again, in a heartbeat. Personally, I love the smaller ships.

Sadly for me, all of my favorite ships are now gone; Marco Polo, Vistafjord, and Sagafjord. I'm making do on the smallest large ships; but that doesn't mean that I'm loving the experiences. I hate being a number.

Two of my most cherished possessions are the maps of my Antarctic voyages, signed by all of the lecturers and officers. They cost me a mint to get them, but I love opening and looking at them. When I evacuate during hurricane season, they go with me.

I'll keep checking back for updates. Mr. Heller, I hope that 2012 is THE year....
BellyBUtton, why don't you try Voyages of Discovery, or Voyages to Antiquity. Also, the Marco Polo continues to servie with Cruise & Maratime Voyages, perhaps you should have a look at their website.
Norwegian Jewel Norwegian Cruise Line, 12 Night Northern Europe (Baltic Capitals) July 16, 2008
Marco Polo Transocean Tours, 11 Nights, Antarctica Soft Expedition December 16, 2008
Discovery (The Love Boat), Voyages of Discovery, 14 Nights Norway, Russia, Lofoten Islands, North Cape (Arctic) July 22, 2009
Seabourn Odyssey Seabourn Cruise Line, 7 Nights Agean Odyssey, July 10, 2010
Veendam Holland America Line, 7 Nights Bermuda, July 24, 2011
Norwegian Sky Norwegian Cruise Line, 3 Night Bahamian Getaway, August 5, 2011
Oceana P&O Cruises, 9 Nights Atlantic Shores, June 24, 2012
Crystal Serenity Crystal Cruises, 12 Nights Spanish Serenade, July 13, 2012
MSC Splendida MSC Cruises, 7 Nights Western Mediterranean, December 17, 2012

111 perfect days at sea so far!

UPCOMING

VISITED (Ship visits while they are in port)

Dolous, AIDAdiva, Costa Classica, Costa Victoria

Old August 18th, 2011, 04:55 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hi all Orient Lines Polo Club members and Fans

I just wanted to give you an update on Orient Lines recent activities. With worldwide financal troubles continuing and recent unrest in some parts of the world it's not possiable to return with international itinaries in 2012.

We have looked something that I think makes alot of sense. Americans as well as internaltional travelers have shown a great deal of interest in cruising America, but to smaller little visited ports most Traveler don't get to explore.

Orient Lines America made an offer to buy the Alaska (& columbia River) Luxury Riverboat "Empress of the North" which is currently setting in U.S. government hands costing $700,000 a year of tax payer money to maintain. We were the highest cash bidder a few months ago, but for some unknown reason the Federal Government doen't want the cash or to put hundreds of Americans to work. If we can convince them to sell it to us we can begin Orient Lines America cruises in 2012. This would be a major departure from the normal Orient lines Ocean liner, but we think it's better to bring back the brand and reunite our Past Polo Club members with some close to home adventures.

I just wanted you all to know that Orient Lines has not been forgotten about, and this is a short term solution to restarting full worldwide cruise operations with other ships that can provide the experiance and crew you all have come to expect.

Thank You all,

Wayne Heller
President
Orient Lines
Queen Mary 2
Discovery
Maxim Gorkiy
Pacific
Marco Polo
Holiday
Celebration
Star Clipper
Delta Queen
Yankee Clipper
Regel Empress
Fairwind
Rotterdam
Majestic
Emerald Sea
Dolphin
SS Norway
Southward
Starward
Skyward
Sunward II
Sunward
Niew Amsterdam
SS Yarmouth Castle

Old August 24th, 2011, 04:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Marco Polo

Hi Mr. Heller. My husband and I haven't been on many cruises but we did take
the Marco Polo on a 7 night Baltic cruise a few years ago and loved it! The crew was fantastic and the food was wonderful. Many of the passengers had sailed before with Orient, it was a family atmosphere. We feel fortunate that we had the opportunity to experience this awesome cruise and hope you can bring back this great ship and crew again. Thanks, Theresa and Mike

Old November 11th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

My mother & I did 4 cruises on the MP and 1 on the Crown Odyssey, starting in 2000 cruising the Barbary Coast - Fantastic!! We have cruised other ships, bigger & newer but adored the MP - the crew, the service and the overall "feel" of it. We would definitely support OL coming back, and look forward to seeing it happen

Old December 4th, 2011, 01:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

The best cruise experience my wife and I ever had was on the Marco Polo from Venice.

Old February 8th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by frediver View Post
The best cruise experience my wife and I ever had was on the Marco Polo from Venice.
me too!

Old July 29th, 2012, 02:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default We'd come back!

Although we never cruised on the Marco Polo, we enjoyed a fabulous 30-day South Pacific cruise on the Crown Odyssey in 2001.
If Orient Lines made a comeback, with the same ambience, the same fabulous all-Filipino crew, the same DIFFERENT ports of call.... I'm sure we'd be back.
1990: Noordam, 7 day Eastern Caribbean
1991: Rotterdam, 23 day Circle Caribbean
1992: Regal Princess, 7 day Eastern caribbean
1993: Noordam, 10 day Southern Caribbean
1993: Noordam, 10 day Eastern Caribbean
1995: Nieuw Amsterdam, 7 day Western Caribbean
1996: Maasdam, 12 day Mediterranean
1996: Maasdam, 13 day Rome - Copenhagen
1997: Song of America, 7 day Bermuda
1998: Nieuw Amsterdam, 23 day Panama Canal
2001: Crown Odyssey, 30 day South Pacific
2002: Noordam, 12 day Mediterranean
2006: Ryndam, 14 day caribbean
2007: Celebrity Constellation, 12 day Canada/New England
2008: Zaandam, 17 day Vancouver - Hawaii - San Diego
2008: Oceania Regatta, 14 day Transatlantic
2009: Prinsendam, 24 day Mediterranean & Transatlantic
2010: Regatta, 24 day Amazon
2011: Prinsendam, 24 day Transatlantic and European Atlantic Coast
2012: Statendam, 19 day Alaska/Yukon cruise-tour
2012: Marina, 18 day Rome - Rio de Janeiro (and continued on...)
2012-13: Marina, 37-day Rio de Janeiro - Valparaiso - Tahiti

Old August 2nd, 2012, 09:27 PM
Cool Cruiser

I'd go back also.

Three of my favorite cruises EVER were on Marco Polo:

1996: Flew to Nairobi; 6-night photo safari; cruised from Tanzania to Singapore. We crossed all timezones on that cruise!!!!

1999: Flew to South Africa; spent 4 nights there; then cruised from South Africa to South America, then down the east coast to the Falkland Islands; the on to Antarctica for 6 landings. It was dubbed the Grand Millennium; 28 days....

Loved Antarctica so much that I went back the following year to celebrate the REAL millennium....

I love smaller ships. Marco Polo, Vistafjord, Sagafjord, previous Westerdam were just right....

cef530@gmail.com

Continents visited: All 7 of 'em
Countries visited: 72 so far
Cruises completed: 67 so far
Oceans crossed: Atlantic, Pacific, and Indian

BUT my Bucket List is still LONG!!!

Old August 9th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Cool Cruiser

Mr Heller;
My wife and I have spent over 50 days sailing with Orient, and we would greatly appreciate the opportunity to spend 50 more before we become too old to do so. THANKS

BUDD & DAWN LYNSTER