Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old February 20th, 2012, 11:20 AM
5,000+ Club

Default Galveston

I think you dotted the eyes and crossed the tees SSB, good post.
No the trolley is not running, but it's actually not a long walk down to the Strand.

I hosted a mixer for our roll call on the Magic Jan. 15th at Fisherman's Wharf. They were doing a reenactment of the Battle of Galveston that same day and the next, so the place was full of Civil War solders!!

You never know what you might see on the Island, most of em good.

JUST A LASSO FROM EL PASO

Contact email: gcurry21@verizon.net

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

-Mark Twain

Old February 20th, 2012, 12:19 PM
Cool Cruiser

@ssb

thanks so mcuh...very helpful info!! I hope I can ahem*talk* my way into it. *grins*

Old February 22nd, 2012, 10:57 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy4themouse View Post
I can't believe this is the last Sunday that Mariner will sail away without me... Can't WAIT for this cruise!!! Booked it a year ago, and have spent the past year with *the* most awesome people on our roll call. We're at an amazing 159 registered for our M&M, and we're all really looking forward to it.

And there she goes... bye Mariner, see you next week!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-gina-
There's probably not a day goes by that I don't remind Todd we could have been out on our Grand Suite balcony next Sunday...sniff sniff....ya'll have fun!

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:00 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCurry View Post
Just booked the Crown Princess for next Feb. out of Galveston. It will give you something to see on a Saturday. Four ports in seven days, with only two sea days, it will be pretty active. There are good ports however, Costa Maya (Majahual), Roitan Honduras, Belize, and of course Coz; it's a lot of exercise.
Gerry, I've been thinking about that also....never cruised Princess and the restaurants and stuff look great!

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:47 AM
5,000+ Club

Default The Crown out of Galveston

Quote:
Originally Posted by BecciBoo View Post
Gerry, I've been thinking about that also....never cruised Princess and the restaurants and stuff look great!
Gene BecciBoo, the name is Gene!! There are a couple of TAs that specialize in Princess, so we got a Mini Suite at a very good price.
I'm also applying for onboard credit as I'm X Military.
It's pretty port intensive with four ports in four days, but they are good ports.

This will be our fourth cruise with Princess as we find them to be a good fit for us. We've done a number on HAL and the other lines as well.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbour. Catch the tradewinds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

-Mark Twain

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:58 AM
5,000+ Club

Default Princess

There is nothing not to enjoy on Princess. We found the crew just a wee bit more "stand offish" than on RCI and the food was ok....But it really is a great cruise. Get familiar with the ship layout, it can get a bit confusing....but easy to overcome.

Liberty Nov 13, 2105

RCI Diamond Plus

CELEBRITY ELITE

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:06 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Gene BecciBoo, .
I'm also applying for onboard credit as I'm X Military.
So, do veterans get an OBC? I havn't heard this, but would love it!
JD

Old February 22nd, 2012, 12:39 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Military OBC on Princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdotexas View Post
So, do veterans get an OBC? I havn't heard this, but would love it! JD
You can thank BJK TX retired airforce for this link. I did have a form 214 from a Carnival discount some time ago.

http://www.princess.com/downloads/pd...Benefit_US.pdf

I agree TXMonk, Princess is a good ride and provides better dancing venues than most lines.

-Mark Twain

Old February 22nd, 2012, 02:05 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I've received the Princess military on board credit too. It was very easy to do and added on to our on board booking credit. I guess you could say we are old veterans with Princess having sailed with them enough to get a complimentary mini bar setup and free laundry. Its no hardship sailing them instead of RCI.

Cruising since 1968

Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:29 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle_lover View Post
@RancherDave

Can you recommend some things to do for a day in Galveston? We will be there for most of the day, before our cruise,but have no car. So anything within walking distance of Sunspree or a few miles (since we can take a cab). Iheard that they had a trolley, is it up and running again, or still down?

thanks

Think SSB got you covered. Sorry, I was tied up with work related stuff the last 48 hours and am just now getting back into here to catch up...

Galveston has enough to do for several days if you like seeing all the sights. Of course you can squeeze in the key spots in a day or two depending on your willingness to see them via drive by.

RCCL Diamond Plus / Celebrity Elite / Princess Elite / Disney

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:15 AM
5,000+ Club

Default Recap

I think we need a recap of all the activities available to folks that visit the island....Any local volunteers?

Liberty Nov 13, 2105

RCI Diamond Plus

CELEBRITY ELITE

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:24 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASMUNK View Post
I think we need a recap of all the activities available to folks that visit the island....Any local volunteers?
See Post 2180

Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:11 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Smack me silly

I go back one page, and there is that list!

Cannot wait for the next cheap shot artist to diss Galveston, you can bet I will cut and paste that great piece of info!!!!

Liberty Nov 13, 2105

RCI Diamond Plus

CELEBRITY ELITE

Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:18 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

That's okay. There is always something going on here.

Tonight, Ball High School is showing "Ike, The Documentary" at the 1894 Grand Opera House.
Incredibly put together by high school students in the aftermath of Ike and how it affected them. This will be our 5th time to see.

This weekend is the Sacred Places Tour put on by the Galveston Historical Foundation.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 07:22 PM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASMUNK View Post
There is nothing not to enjoy on Princess. We found the crew just a wee bit more "stand offish" than on RCI and the food was ok....But it really is a great cruise. Get familiar with the ship layout, it can get a bit confusing....but easy to overcome.
Many of the Princess crew are Eastern Europeans, and they are much more reserved than the crew on Royal Caribbean.

I agree about the ship layout...I see a lot of similarities (just layout, not decor!) between Princess ships and Carnival ships. The ones I have been on were all built at Fincantieri, and I can definitely see a likeness in the way the ships are laid out. Princess ships are beautiful and subdued, but they're quite a bit choppier than Royal Caribbean ships.

I gave serious thought to going back to Princess next year, but there's a $750/pp price difference between a GS on the Mariner and the least expensive suite on the Crown, so it's back to Mariner for me!

If suite perks aren't important to you, we enjoyed our cruises in Princess mini-suites, but you have to book early if you want a covered balcony. The mini-suites on Dolphin Deck have completely uncovered balconies. There are 12 mini-suites towards the aft on Emerald Deck that are the only minis on the ship that have any shade on the balcony.

Waiting Impatiently For:
Oasis of the Seas 11/15/2014 * Serenade of the Seas 3/7/2015 * Liberty of the Seas 12/6/2015 * Celebrity Infinity Panama Canal 3/27/2016

148 Great Cruise Days & Counting:
Celebrity Constellation Scandinavia & Russia 5/21/2014 * Navigator of the Seas 4/6/2014 * HAL Westerdam Alaska 9/14/2013 -- Millie Wine Cruise Refugees Cruised to Alaska! * Mariner of the Seas 4/14/2013 * HAL Noordam Southern Caribbean & 25th Anniversary 11/26/2012 * Mariner of the Seas 3/11/2012 * Carnival Dream 6/25/2011 * Carnival Conquest 3/13/2011 * Carnival Ecstasy 12/20/2010 * Carnival Conquest 3/14/2010 * Carnival Splendor 7/12/2009 * Voyager of the Seas 3/15/09 * Voyager of the Seas 3/16/2008 * Mariner of the Seas 6/24/2007 * Grand Princess 3/10/2007 * Explorer of the Seas 6/25/2006 * Grand Princess 3/11/2006 * Grand Princess 3/5/2005 * Rhapsody of the Seas 11/24/2002 * Sea Princess Alaska 6/17/2000 * Scotia Prince 6/1999 -- Test to see if we would get seasick...Obviously we didn't!

Last edited by Cindy; February 23rd, 2012 at 07:23 PM.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:10 PM
5,000+ Club

Anyone on Galveston see the tank fire over by AM? Looking on cruise cam is it on G isle or on P isle? Big bright spot on G isle down by bridge.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Cool Cruiser

Its on Pelican Island

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:37 PM
5,000+ Club

Default "Wasn't that a Mighty Storm" Tom Rush

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston Cruiser View Post
Tonight, Ball High School is showing "Ike, The Documentary" at the 1894 Grand Opera House.
Incredibly put together by high school students in the aftermath of Ike and how it affected them. This will be our 5th time to see.
No offense, but isn't that like picking a scab?? We suffered losses from Ike as well; but are doing our best to move on.

In all fairness, when I went on a Sister City trip to Stavanger Norway, in 90, I took a Galveston Ball video project of the 1900 Storm and what was done to make the island stronger and showed it a couple of times there.

I take a great deal of pride in the island and having been part of a unique community and truth be told, I still am.

-Mark Twain

Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:34 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
No offense, but isn't that like picking a scab?? We suffered losses from Ike as well; but are doing our best to move on.

In all fairness, when I went on a Sister City trip to Stavanger Norway, in 90, I took a Galveston Ball video project of the 1900 Storm and what was done to make the island stronger and showed it a couple of times there.

I take a great deal of pride in the island and having been part of a unique community and truth be told, I still am.
No offense taken, but it shows how the students have moved on and made choices in their lives they would not have normally taken. We had guests from Canada that were impressed with how far the City has come and the resilience of its residents. It is still an impressive piece of work that has been edited over the last 3 years.

BTW, DH's family were in the 1900 storm, lost 27+ family.

Took a detour to see the flames from the fire on Harborside near 51st. Fortunately the wind is blowing the smoke away from the island.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 11:05 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galveston Cruiser View Post
No offense taken, but it shows how the students have moved on and made choices in their lives they would not have normally taken. We had guests from Canada that were impressed with how far the City has come and the resilience of its residents. It is still an impressive piece of work that has been edited over the last 3 years.

BTW, DH's family were in the 1900 storm, lost 27+ family.

Took a detour to see the flames from the fire on Harborside near 51st. Fortunately the wind is blowing the smoke away from the island.

The fire is pretty visibile on the cruise web camera. Glad it's not happening while cruise ships are in port. That would create a much bigger mess.