Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old February 22nd, 2012, 06:47 PM
Cool Cruiser

I have friends who have worked on Inde for nearly
3 years. Captain Taeo advises the crew every week at the crew meetings in the theatre/ice rink, if you contract noro virus chances are you've been to the toilet not washed your hands and eaten your own or someone elses .... (waste product), wash your hands and use the gels as often as possible.

All 4 of my cruises out of Southampton on Inde have been delayed for noro cleaning. My last cruise boarding was delayed until 2:30 and we were taken to winchester for 5 hours, not much fun when you then try to get on board!

Old February 22nd, 2012, 07:24 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by robinp View Post
I have friends who have worked on Inde for nearly
3 years. Captain Taeo advises the crew every week at the crew meetings in the theatre/ice rink, if you contract noro virus chances are you've been to the toilet not washed your hands and eaten your own or someone elses .... (waste product), wash your hands and use the gels as often as possible.

All 4 of my cruises out of Southampton on Inde have been delayed for noro cleaning. My last cruise boarding was delayed until 2:30 and we were taken to winchester for 5 hours, not much fun when you then try to get on board!
That sounds like it's rife on Indy , I wonder why one ship would be so prone to it , Liberty and Freedom are the same size and Oasis and Allure have many more passengers and yet you don't hear of noro on them like you do Indy .

Old February 22nd, 2012, 11:56 PM
Cool Cruiser

make sure you get that bad boy cleaned up before the Trans Atlantic later in the year pls!!
Royal Caribbean Freedom of The Seas (2014)-Coco Cay, St.Thomas, St.Marteen

Cruise Ship - Ticker

Old February 23rd, 2012, 12:31 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphincrazy View Post
lol,

Good old fashioned hand washing with soap is the best, I will be doing both alot!!

I will also be keeping a close on my kids too!.

I certainly do not want to be ill after spending so much money!!, Fingers crossed!!

I really hope it has not affected too many passengers
We had Noro, about 200 passengers, on our Radiance cruise from Hawaii in Sept.
DH and I would wash Very well, with lots of soap for a LONG time. We did not get it and sure did our best to be clean and use towels to open the bathroom door etc. all those things.
I would be washing my hands as others swished with soap and left before I was done. They say sing the song- Happy Birthday to Me, twice- while washing.

The crew did a great job cleaning that ship over and over, even after people were better. They did not get off in port or anything, even the entertainment/maintenance people were also cleaning and serving us in the WJ. They really deserve the credit for keeping it at Bay and then ridding the ship of it for the rest of our B2Bs.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:27 AM
Cool Cruiser

It's such a shame that it has happened. People don't realise how bad it can get. It's just by not doing one simple act.

I am always overly cautious on the ship or for that matter when on holiday. I always carry my little bottle of hand sanitiser with me where ever I go. I wash my hands every time sometimes even twice, use the hand gels round the ship and then use my own as well. It smells like lemons and not just of alcohol like the one on the ship.

I think it was 2 years ago that we were delayed boarding because of the virus. They never told us that it was but they gave us a small letter with our daily cruise compass that you get when you check in saying there had been several cases, about 400 I think, and that boarding was going to be delayed by a few hours just so they could clean the ship. Throughout the rest of the cruise there were crew everywhere you went cleaning everything that people touched! Even in the lifts they were cleaning the rails, buttons, doors....but yet they all had a smile on their face and were willing to have a laugh with you. We heard a rumour that on that sailing 40 people had come down with it and were confined to either the ships medical facilities or their cabins. Mostly it was children (or so the rumour went) which wouldn't surprise me as I have seen countless times children going to the toilet and then leaving without washing their hands!

CK x

Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:25 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise_Kitten View Post
It's such a shame that it has happened. People don't realise how bad it can get. It's just by not doing one simple act.

I am always overly cautious on the ship or for that matter when on holiday. I always carry my little bottle of hand sanitiser with me where ever I go. I wash my hands every time sometimes even twice, use the hand gels round the ship and then use my own as well. It smells like lemons and not just of alcohol like the one on the ship.

I think it was 2 years ago that we were delayed boarding because of the virus. They never told us that it was but they gave us a small letter with our daily cruise compass that you get when you check in saying there had been several cases, about 400 I think, and that boarding was going to be delayed by a few hours just so they could clean the ship. Throughout the rest of the cruise there were crew everywhere you went cleaning everything that people touched! Even in the lifts they were cleaning the rails, buttons, doors....but yet they all had a smile on their face and were willing to have a laugh with you. We heard a rumour that on that sailing 40 people had come down with it and were confined to either the ships medical facilities or their cabins. Mostly it was children (or so the rumour went) which wouldn't surprise me as I have seen countless times children going to the toilet and then leaving without washing their hands!

CK x
I have been reading back through the reviews and it does appear that it's this time of the year and also after a child heavy cruise, hoping that this won't affect our April cruise as the cruise before ours is around the Easter school holidays , fingers crossed that they all look after our ship and keep her nice and germ free .

Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottycruiser View Post
I have been reading back through the reviews and it does appear that it's this time of the year and also after a child heavy cruise, hoping that this won't affect our April cruise as the cruise before ours is around the Easter school holidays , fingers crossed that they all look after our ship and keep her nice and germ free .
There are two cruises on over the Easter period. The one before ours has a full week outside of the school holidays. I know for a fact that schools are now getting very strict on parents taking their kids out of school for a holiday and permission has to be given for this to be done. So hopefully there won't be that many children on the ship before us.

But all the blame can't go on the children, I have seen adults do exactly the same or just swish there hands under the water for a few seconds and then just walk off. It's also when people touch the food in the windjammer that gets me, there are grabbers there for people to use, not your fingers! Yuck!

CK x

Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:20 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise_Kitten View Post
There are two cruises on over the Easter period. The one before ours has a full week outside of the school holidays. I know for a fact that schools are now getting very strict on parents taking their kids out of school for a holiday and permission has to be given for this to be done. So hopefully there won't be that many children on the ship before us.

But all the blame can't go on the children, I have seen adults do exactly the same or just swish there hands under the water for a few seconds and then just walk off. It's also when people touch the food in the windjammer that gets me, there are grabbers there for people to use, not your fingers! Yuck!

CK x
I totally agree , I have witnessed many things in the buffet that adults have done that have left me gob smacked ,I had heard that there are constant announcements on loop in the restrooms telling people to now wash their hands , if that doesn't work then they need someone in there making sure people do , mind you that won't help as they wont be washing their hands after using their own bathrooms .it's just pure ignorance in that case and so hard for the crew to keep the ship safe .

Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:20 AM
Cool Cruiser

the problem is often the tongs/grabbers etc. they are touched by everybody! a perfect place to pick up a virus

Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:23 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zogriv View Post
the problem is often the tongs/grabbers etc. they are touched by everybody! a perfect place to pick up a virus
That's why I use my napkin when handling the tongs ,the germs then go on my napkin

Old February 23rd, 2012, 06:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lottycruiser View Post
I totally agree , I have witnessed many things in the buffet that adults have done that have left me gob smacked ,I had heard that there are constant announcements on loop in the restrooms telling people to now wash their hands , if that doesn't work then they need someone in there making sure people do , mind you that won't help as they wont be washing their hands after using their own bathrooms .it's just pure ignorance in that case and so hard for the crew to keep the ship safe .
Soon we shall all have to wear haz-mat suits around the ship to stop us all spreading illness

I just except the fact that it happens but I will do my utmost not to be part of the cause.

CK x

Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:12 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

I have just had a reply from our friends on board who have been on Indie since 2nd Feb for a B2B and leave tomorrow.
They said the Windjammer has been open as normal with extra staff on a couple of days serving the food as opposed to help yourself.
The only food they noticed stopped was the nibbles in the Concierge and Diamond lounges.
Everything is back to normal and the ship very clean. They say they have had a fantastic time but are ready to go home now.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 08:42 AM
Cool Cruiser

Its such a shame so many people have had their holiday spoiled we are going on the iots on 6th march just hope everthing will be back to narmal by then

carolynne

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:11 AM
Cool Cruiser

It is all down to personal hygiene, the crew do their bit but the guests on board let the side down and "forget" to wash their hands. Every single bacteria will double its self every 20 mins under the right conditions, and anyone who touches the surface will pick up and transport that bacteria untill they wash or sanitise their own hands, please lets all do our bit and wash our hands at every oppertuinty and also use as much hand jel as we are offered that way we will all be a little bit safer.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 09:41 AM
Cool Cruiser

I might sound a bit sad but i always take dettol wipes with me and just go around the door handles, light switches, and even the t.v.romote control when i get in my stateroom and always wash my hands. never had a problem and i dont want to give my shipmates any. could just be lucky but it make me feel better

Old February 23rd, 2012, 10:26 AM
Cool Cruiser

Simply, ban dirty people from cruising! If everyone could be trusted to wash their hands then the 'santisation police' would not be needed! Glad I carry my own gel , shame everyone else doesnt. It only takes the minority to spoil it for the majority!

Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:12 PM
Cool Cruiser

Southampton's port web site has the Indy down for a 1900 departure time now

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live...ned_Movements/

so I might just take a chance and get to the docks around 4.30 to try and beat the initial madness.
Legend of the Seas 05/2006
Navigator of the Seas 05/2007
Norwegian Jade 05/2008
Norwegian Jade 05/2009
Independence of the Seas 05/2010
Grand Princess 08/2010
Independence of the Seas 05/2011
P&O Arcadia 12/2011
Independence of the Seas 02/2012
Independence of the Seas 05/2013
Booked...Independence of the Seas 10/2013

Old February 23rd, 2012, 02:38 PM
5,000+ Club

We had our nibbles in the CL but they were served by the Concierge, we did not touch anything on that table, not even napkins. This did occur on our 2nd B2B, after many children arrived to sail from Hawaii to Sydney, AU. It was the 3rd day in the Captain was alerting all to Wash their hands. It just got worse though.

We did see amazing things on the ship. One lady was seen scooping up her lettuce from the bowl with her hands I saw a lady butt in behind the Crew server, during the Noro period in the WJ, to serve herself!! Alerted him and he removed the tongs she had touched!!
People on our 3rd now Clean B2B were seen picking up food with their hands, so it is an ongoing problem no matter how many are told to use tongs or such.

Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:10 PM
Cool Cruiser

I don't think that there will be 1000 guests with norovirus!

Sorry to hear about the issue with the sailing and wish all of you going the best of luck. I am sure they will be doing all they can to get it clean, so it will take some time. I think it best to have patience, get rid of your luggage and then pop over to West Quay. Very nice shopping centre, plenty of food spots and cafes, coffee shops! Always pop over the road to TK Maxx and get some nice bargains, lol!

No point rushing to the ship as if the terminal building is closed there is absolutely nothing there to see or do!

Old February 23rd, 2012, 04:39 PM
20,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzk90 View Post
I don't think that there will be 1000 guests with norovirus!
I think the figure is more likely to be 200/300...I don't believe it is anywhere near 1000...I think the press would have been all over it if that amount of people were affected.

Liz
Imma Critter # 1
Elizanessie@aol.com

Quantum Launchers International Critters & Pink Boa Society ~ Making the world a smaller place.

International Critters Gear QN 11/2 Maiden -http://www.cafepress.com/internation...rsmaidenvoyage
(double click link)
International Critters Gear QN 11/23 Inaugural -http://www.cafepress.com/internationalcritters
(double click link)