Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "P - Z" > Royal Caribbean International

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Royal Caribbean International
NEW! Find Your ROYAL CARIBBEAN Roll Call

Old February 23rd, 2012, 05:21 PM
Cool Cruiser

I agree with you if it had been 1,000pax it would have made the press/tv news. I always carry hand gel with me, its not expensive, and makes more sense to use it rather than take unneeded risks.

Old February 24th, 2012, 04:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankee 1 View Post
I might sound a bit sad but i always take dettol wipes with me and just go around the door handles, light switches, and even the t.v.romote control when i get in my stateroom and always wash my hands. never had a problem and i dont want to give my shipmates any. could just be lucky but it make me feel better

That is such a good idea, we also bought a 3 packet of Hygenic-Gel Instant Hand Sanitiser from bodycare, my wife will carry one in her hand bag, i will have one in my pocket and we will keep the third bottle in the stateroom, I know this might sound like we have OCD but better safe than sorry I think

Old February 24th, 2012, 04:45 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt View Post
That is such a good idea, we also bought a 3 packet of Hygenic-Gel Instant Hand Sanitiser from bodycare, my wife will carry one in her hand bag, i will have one in my pocket and we will keep the third bottle in the stateroom, I know this might sound like we have OCD but better safe than sorry I think
I think when I walk round the ship people think I have OCD. I have hand sanitiser in bag everyday and I put it on my hands after I have washed my hands after the bathroom, after I have used the lifts, after I have touched the hand rails on the stairs, after I have selected my food at the Windjammer before I even put food to my mouth, after I have eaten in the Windjammer, after I have eaten at dinner, after I have had a drink, pretty much after I have touched anything. It does get a bit repetitive but better to over do it then not at all. I know there is a chance I could get it but at least I can help prevent it as much to my own ability.

CK x

Old February 24th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Cool Cruiser

Arrived home from the cruise today. nowhere near as bad as people are saying on here!

Midway through the cruise there was extra cleaning in place, guys with spray everywhere cleaning all the handrails etc, etc. They also stopped self service in the windjammer with staff on hand to serve you, so no one could use the tongs - this should be standard anyway as it is already on other cruise lines.

Apart from that we noticed nothing abnormal

Though we were told that 2 people had died on the cruise, but due to heart attacks

Old February 24th, 2012, 08:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthWalesCruiser View Post
Arrived home from the cruise today. nowhere near as bad as people are saying on here!

Midway through the cruise there was extra cleaning in place, guys with spray everywhere cleaning all the handrails etc, etc. They also stopped self service in the windjammer with staff on hand to serve you, so no one could use the tongs - this should be standard anyway as it is already on other cruise lines.

Apart from that we noticed nothing abnormal

Though we were told that 2 people had died on the cruise, but due to heart attacks
Oh my god no way! Thats so bad and my thoughts are with the families affected!

CK x

Old February 24th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

As South Wales Cruiser said, nowhere near as bad as the rumours. I heard 500+ being banded around amongst guests but the only figures I heard from staff was 62 on the first morning which had gone up to 160 that evening.

The venues and facilities were still busy so I doubt very much that there were 1000 in their cabins!

The cruise was fantastic in every way, and the staff were fab.

I feel for those that were affected by the virus and for the families of the 2 people that died.

Old February 25th, 2012, 02:58 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruise_Kitten View Post
I think when I walk round the ship people think I have OCD. I have hand sanitiser in bag everyday and I put it on my hands after I have washed my hands after the bathroom, after I have used the lifts, after I have touched the hand rails on the stairs, after I have selected my food at the Windjammer before I even put food to my mouth, after I have eaten in the Windjammer, after I have eaten at dinner, after I have had a drink, pretty much after I have touched anything. It does get a bit repetitive but better to over do it then not at all. I know there is a chance I could get it but at least I can help prevent it as much to my own ability.

CK x
To be honest, I have spent around £3500, and I am not bothered how sad I look!!!, I will be making sure none of my party get poorly!!!

Old February 25th, 2012, 05:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noopa View Post
As South Wales Cruiser said, nowhere near as bad as the rumours. I heard 500+ being banded around amongst guests but the only figures I heard from staff was 62 on the first morning which had gone up to 160 that evening.

The venues and facilities were still busy so I doubt very much that there were 1000 in their cabins!

The cruise was fantastic in every way, and the staff were fab.

I feel for those that were affected by the virus and for the families of the 2 people that died.
Re Numbers who got the Norovirus ...There was a short mention of the Norovirus on the IOTS on my local T.V news last night and they said 400 passengers had been affected + a couple of crew members

Old March 2nd, 2012, 04:01 PM
Cool Cruiser

seems like the problem has not yet been sorted out just had a email off RC telling us boarding for 6th march is being delayed again for deep cleaning as there has been another out break on board getting a bit worried as we are sailing on this cruise

carolynne

Old March 3rd, 2012, 04:25 AM
Cool Cruiser

Hopefully its a small number this time and its reducing xxx

Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

My wife is a Nurse who is always telling me to wash my hands thoroughly.
There is a 7 Stage process, rather nicely presented here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ8tVgFyY84
I'll certainly be doing this on the cruise on the 6th

Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:31 AM
Cool Cruiser

My daughter is on the ship now. She has said that they are giving you hand wipes what appears to be every couple of mins. There was no canapés in either the Diamond lounge or the Concierge. You can't touch anything which makes for really long lines. The feeling is that it's not been a relaxed cruise amongst the passengers. I know they are only doing their job but people have paid a lot of money for the cruise and this has gone on too long. Makes you wonder where it is coming from different passengers each cruise but the same staff and the same problem keeps going on cruise after cruise!

First cruise 1988 and we survived hurricane Gilbert! 67 cruises to date. 601 nights at sea and many more to come.

Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:33 AM
Cool Cruiser

Damned if you do, Damned if you don't! Its all about your attitude and intent to make the best of your situation. If RCI didn't do all this stuff, there is no doubt it would be worse!

Old March 3rd, 2012, 07:46 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Hand gel

I used so much hand gel on the Queen Victoria last year I came home with dermatitis on my fingers. Will be using soap and water only this trip and no gel. One of the other passengers at our table was injured when he fell down the stairs because the bannister rails were wet from being cleaned but not dried.
This Novovirus is every where. I hope they clean this ship up and every one has a great cruise with out getting sick.
Sydgal

Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

My wife and I were two of the 90 passengers who had it on the Constellation on the 28th January sailing so we have firts hand knowledge of what can happen. Saw some passengers who did not follow the hygeine rules. Not saying they spread the outbreak, but it only takes a few seconds each time to sanitize your hands.
We are going on the Independence in June, so hopefully it will have been cleared by then. It has not put us off cruising.

Last edited by woldig120; March 3rd, 2012 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Added more comment

Old March 3rd, 2012, 08:40 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberley View Post
My daughter is on the ship now. She has said that they are giving you hand wipes what appears to be every couple of mins. There was no canapés in either the Diamond lounge or the Concierge. You can't touch anything which makes for really long lines. The feeling is that it's not been a relaxed cruise amongst the passengers. I know they are only doing their job but people have paid a lot of money for the cruise and this has gone on too long. Makes you wonder where it is coming from different passengers each cruise but the same staff and the same problem keeps going on cruise after cruise!
Hi Kimberley , sorry to hear that Kayleigh and Dan are still enduring problems on the ship. We were on for 23 nights in Jan without any issues other than a few people coughing with colds. As you know if the weather is not great and everyone is cooped up inside germs spread quickly.
We take all the precautions necessary when on board to keep well and having the DL and CL to escape the crowds helps , I can live without the nibbles

Old March 3rd, 2012, 11:15 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberley View Post
We were on the February 13th sailing under much the same conditions as your daughter describes. Yes, it's true that you weren't allowed to touch food--not even to get your own tea--but we didn't find it the least bit inconveniencing. There was extra staff on hand to serve you. They were doing a fantastic job! They were cheerful and helpful even though I am sure that the virus created a heap of extra work for them. As to the feeling of a relaxed cruise, maybe it's the fear of getting the virus that has your daughter and others a bit worried? Personally I think it's luck of the draw if you get the norovirus or not (given that you follow all precautions). That being the case, you may as well enjoy your vacation and not dwell on it. We didn't let the outbreak affect our enjoyment of what was a fabulous cruise!
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1966387
Azamara Journey Mediterranean cruise report here-
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2103294
Celebrity Solstice Mediterranean cruise report here-
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1676328

Old March 4th, 2012, 04:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sequim88 View Post
I have often wondered about crew transfers and if it would be effective for RCI (or any line) to have a sort of quarantine or "quiet time" between postings. Like a mandatory 3-4 days off and then screen (interview?) for symptom free condition before they board the new ship.

Noro is everywhere. We had an outbreak at a nearby school that had 1/3 of the students (over 200) out and they closed the school for several days to sanitize it - and let any exposed kids get it if they were going to so they could know who had it or not. Recently my wife and I both got it after visiting a nursing home - another typical hot bed of the bug.
Having a serious norovirus outbreak on 2 consecutive cruises with a deep sanitisation occuring in between, the only common denominator surely must be the crew? That could explain why measures such as the crew serving your food is not being effective at controlling it. Appreciate people not washing their hands spreads the virus, however, it is a virus and doesn't spontaneously occur without a carrier(s). This is not to cast aspersions about all the crew who do a really great job on the ship and of whom we call friends.
Splendour Of The Seas- 03/01/2003 12 nights
Explorer Of The Seas - 25/10/2003 14 nights
Ocean Village- 08/06/2004 14 nights
Ocean Village- 11/05/2005 13 nights
Explorer Of The Seas- 06/11/2005 14 nights
Celebrity Constellation- 06/05/2006 14 nights
Navigator Of The Seas- 11/08/2007 14 nights
Independence Of The Seas- 02/05/2008 4 nights
Independence Of The Seas- 31/05/2008 14 nights
Independence Of The Seas- 15/10/2008 11 nights
Independence Of The Seas- 23/05/2009 4 nights
Jewel Of The Seas- 22/06/2009 12 nights
Freedom Of The Seas 13/09/2009 14 nights
Independence Of The Seas 29/05/2010 4 nights
Independence Of The Seas 02/06/2010 3 nights
Independence Of The Seas 03/07/2010 14 nights
Independence Of The Seas 18/11/2010 11 nights
Independence Of The Seas 13/02/2011 18 nights
Independence Of The Seas 27/04/2011 3 nights
Independence Of The Seas 30/04/2011 4 nights
Independence Of The Seas 20/08/2011 14 nights
Independence Of The Seas 17/03/2012 14 nights
Independence Of The Seas 02/05/2012 3 nights
Independence Of The Seas 05/05/2012 4 nights
Independence Of The Seas 25/08/2012 14 nights
Splendour Of The Seas 27/10/2012 7 nights
Independence Of The Seas 26/05/2013 6 nights
independence Of The Seas 01/06/2013 14 nights
Independence Of The Seas 07/09/2013 14 nights
QM2 11/12/2013 4 nights
independence Of The Seas 04/05/2014 13nights

Booked Cruises
Independence Of The Seas 23/08/2014 14 nights
Independence Of The Seas 25/10/2014 3 nights
Independence Of The Seas 28/10/2014 4 nights
P&O Arcadia 27/12/2014 10 nights
Anthem Of The Seas 22/04/2015 8 nights

Old March 5th, 2012, 05:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldig120 View Post
Not saying they spread the outbreak, but it only takes a few seconds each time to sanitize your hands..
please note that if you really want to stop carrying it then you must clean your hands properly. The 7 Stage Hand Washing Technique should be applied. A quick wash of hands stills leaves opportunity to carry and be infected. This could be a major factor in why the Virus hangs around longer!

Last edited by toprobroy; March 5th, 2012 at 05:10 AM.

Old March 6th, 2012, 04:51 AM
Cool Cruiser

Looks like Indy is having another deep clean in Southampton today as she will be late leaving again today. Estimate is now for a 1900hrs departure.

Cruises Done:

RCI Adventure of the Seas, Southern Caribbean 12th Oct 2008
RCI Jewel of the Seas, Baltics 10th June 2009
RCI Liberty of the Seas, Western Caribbean 28th February 2010
RCI Independence of the Seas, Ultimate Mediterranean 13th February 2011
RCI Independence of the Seas, Canaries 17th March 2012
RCI Explorer of the Seas, Eastern Caribbean 3rd December 2012
RCI Adventure of the Seas, Iceland and Norway 31st May 2013