Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Lines "A - O" > Carnival Cruise Lines

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Carnival Cruise Lines
- Read thousands of Carnival Cruise Reviews
- Compare the best Carnival Cruise Deals
- Write a Carnival Review
- Find Your CARNIVAL Roll Call
See posts about:
Carnival Breeze
Carnival Elation
Carnival Glory
Carnival Liberty
Carnival Paradise
Carnival Splendor

Carnival Conquest
Carnival Fantasy
Carnival Imagination
Carnival Magic
Carnival Pride
Carnival Sunshine

Carnival Dream
Carnival Fascination
Carnival Inspiration
Carnival Sensation
Carnival Triumph
Carnival Valor

Carnival Ecstasy
Carnival Freedom
Carnival Legend
Carnival Miracle
Carnival Spirit
Carnival Victory

Closed Thread

Old March 1st, 2012, 05:24 AM
Cool Cruiser

I am not sure about the $$ thing,but I say cancel his ass so if he changes his mind he can not get on the ship.

Plus if you paid for "everything" just think of all the $$ you just saved. A mooch is a mooch. Drink all the drinks you would have paid for for both of you.

Disney Wonder 9/2000
Monarch of the Seas 3/2007
Carnival Valor 1/2011
Carnival Inspiration 3/2014

Old March 1st, 2012, 06:05 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Lousy timing.. but it better to go solo than with someone who doesn't want to be there. He's a creep for doing it so close to the cruise but it is better before than after. I think that would have made me feel used if I had paid for everything.

I hope you have the time of your life.

Old March 1st, 2012, 07:02 AM
5,000+ Club

I am so sorry this happened but I like your attitude. Have a great cruise and I hope karma visits this guy.

Old March 1st, 2012, 07:19 AM
5,000+ Club

It may be hard to put a smile on your face at times, but think of losing probably 150 or more lbs of "weight" (your ex) and enjoy each and every moment of the cruise. You have a great attitude. Go right to the shore excursion desk when you board and tell them he is a no-show. (missed his flight- whatever) They may try and give you back only 25% of the excursion fee, as it wasn't cancelled within a certain window of time - I think it is 3 days before you cruise. Be persistant - you will then have a nice obc to spend on yourself! Enjoy your cruise!
NCL Gem 8/16/14 (10100) ; CCL Conquest 2/16/14 (7434); RCCL FOS Xmas 12/22/13 (GS1578);NCL Breakaway 8/18/13 (9728);CCL Breeze 3/24/13 (8232); CCL Breeze Xmas 12/22/12 (8244/8248); CCL Spirit 8/21/12 (7189); CCL Liberty Xmas 12/24/11 (7414/18); CLL Miracle 8/26/11 (4165); CCL Glory 2/20/11 (9242); CCL Dream Xmas/NYE 12/23/10 (8319/23) Platinum; CCL Glory 7/31/10 (8285); CCL Liberty 2/13/10 (7434); CCL Fantasy 7/25/09 (U97); CCL Miracle Xmas 12/23/08 (6232); CCL Freedom 4/19/08 (6229);CCL Freedom Xmas 12/22/07 (7414/7418); CCL Valor 8/19/07 (8212); CCL Destiny Xmas 12/24/06 (7250); CCL Liberty Xmas/NYE 12/24/05 (6220)Disney Magic Xmas '02; Disney Wonder 8/00; Disney Magic 8/98; Home Lines Homeric 6/86; Premier Big Red Boat Oceanic 6/85; Home Lines Atlantic 6/84

Old March 1st, 2012, 07:43 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezie68 View Post
Here I am, sitting in my hotel room in Miami. My boyfriend was supposed to be here too, but he dumped me at 4am this morning. So, I am going on a solo cruise on the Destiny tomorrow! I have a friend and her boyfriend also on this cruise, so is not totally solo, but she and I have differing views on how a great vacation should be, so I'm figuring I will only see her and her boyfriend at dinner. Here goes nothing! I will be back with a review. Nothing will keep me from cruising!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?vvdn0w
Wish you were on our Feb 16th Destiny cruise. We had our two single sons with us and a bunch of single friends from Chicago and New York. You would have had a great time. I'm sure you'll have a great time on the Destiny. Say hello to Imade, a server at the Lido Pool area. He was fantastic.

7 Norwegian Star, October 2003 Hawaii
7 Carnival Glory, October, 2005 Eastern Caribbean
7 Carnival Triumph, May 2006 Western Caribbean
7 Carnival Miracle, Western Caribbean Valentines on the Miracle 2007
4 Carnival Imagination, Western Caribbean, February 2008
7 Carnival Freedom, Eastern Caribbean, April 2008 Freedom Floaters
4 Carnival Destiny, Key West & Cozumel. October 2008
4 Carnival Destiny, Key West & Cozumel, February 2009
7 Carnival Legend, Laurie's 50th Birthday Bash, Western Caribbean, May 17,2009
4 Monarch of the Seas, Nassau & Coco Cay, October 2009, our first RCL Cruise
8 Carnival Miracle Southern Caribbean, Jan 2010
7 Carnival Glory, Our Platinum Cruise, May 2010
7 Carnival Dream, Dreamin with the Crazies, November 2010
7 Caribbean Princess, Southern Caribbean Explorer, Jan 2011
7 Carnival Dream, Western Caribbean, Oct 2011
4 Carnival Destiny, Key West & Cozumel, February 2012

4 Monarch of the Seas, Nassau & Coco Cay, October 2012
4 Carnival Paradise, Cozumel, Mar 2013
7 Carnival Dream, 10th Anniversary, October 2013
3 Majesty of the Seas, Nassau & Coco Cay, January 2014
8 Carnival Miracle, Alaska , September 2014
Next: Still looking.
124 Days at Sea

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:05 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulMedik View Post
Single is NOT more expensive than two and port taxes may be refunded.

Bon Voyage!
Single rate is the equivalent of 2 fares. If she tells Carnival they will not refund the jerk's fare and might charge her the rest of the fare owed for a single fare at the current rate. If she did pay for both her and the jerk, the cruise could end up costing her the equivalent of 150% of the single rate. She should say nothing until they sail, then do to the Purser's Desk and say:

I have no idea why he didn't show up. Since I paid for our excursions ahead of time (show proof of payment) could I get a refund for his excursions on my Sign and Sail Card) - look pitiful and hope for the best.

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:05 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Here I am, sitting in my hotel room in Miami. My boyfriend was supposed to be here too, but he dumped me at 4am this morning. So, I am going on a solo cruise on the Destiny tomorrow! I have a friend and her boyfriend also on this cruise, so is not totally solo, but she and I have differing views on how a great vacation should be, so I'm figuring I will only see her and her boyfriend at dinner. Here goes nothing! I will be back with a review. Nothing will keep me from cruising!

---
Let's put a new spin on this situation. She's getting sympathy from posters, but not quite sure why. She paid for everything including excursions...why? Who paid plane fare? Hotel room? etc. The guy must have been a dud in the first place, not even a solid relationship. Was she buying a boyfriend just to have one? It was low of him to bail out, yet man enough to do it before the cruise. Of course it was no money for him, she footed the bill.

Let the flames begin!!

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:06 AM
5,000+ Club

Default It all depends...

on just how she felt about him.... something similar happened to me. Only I was with him for over two years... believe it or not... believing he was divorced... he had children so it was easy for me to believe the nights he wasnt with me, he was with them... He was with me at least half of the week every week. We went away for weekends, even away for a cruise out of New Orleans... we had two more cruises booked.... one month before we were to embark on our 2nd cruise, the one where I thought he would propose... he got caught... and I found out he was still married... he walked away from me. Everyone told me , including my doctor, go on the cruise.. have a great time... it will help you. I was even told hes her problem now.. and your single now... you can do whatever you want on that cruise! Well... didnt work out for me... every where I went on the ship, I was reminded of him... spent most of my time in the cabin ordering room service... was absolutely miserable.. and still am... So my advice, contrary to everyone elses here,... I have been there... if you think you can go without dwelling on what you have lost (even though many say his loss) ... then go... and have a perfect time.... if you are feeling deeply hurt.... rethink it...
Sorry, dont want to be a debbie downer.... but sometimes you need to look deep inside before making your decision.... it was terrible knowing I was stuck on that ship feeling the way I did for a whole week...

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks everyone, your certainly cheering me up! I will wonder down to the pursers desk and see if I can get a refund. Hopefully I can get something back. My ex was supposed to pay me back for the trip when we returned home, as he was expecting a bonus from his work. The reason he broke up with me.... Because the cruise fell on his sons birthday, and he felt terrible for leaving his kid and mad at me for not understanding.( for what it's worth, he knew going in that this cruise fell on his kids birthday and said it would be no problem.... We booked last June).

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?epubgf

Cruised before on:

Carnival Ecstasy April 06
Royal Carribean Liberty of the Seas Oct 2008
Carnival Imagination Oct 12th 2009
Carnival Destiny March 1st 2012

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Thanks everyone, your certainly cheering me up! I will wonder down to the pursers desk and see if I can get a refund. Hopefully I can get something back. My ex was supposed to pay me back for the trip when we returned home, as he was expecting a bonus from his work. The reason he broke up with me.... Because the cruise fell on his sons birthday, and he felt terrible for leaving his kid and mad at me for not understanding.( for what it's worth, he knew going in that this cruise fell on his kids birthday and said it would be no problem.... We booked last June).
Hmm...well, I hope this thread doesn't turn into relationship counseling or a debate on who's right and who's wrong. I have a feeling people are going to be sympathetic to XBF now.

Bottom line is, go have fun. Make the best of your trip and kick up your heels!
Emerald Seas 1982 ~ Emerald Seas 1992 ~ Majesty of the Seas 1993 ~ Big Red Boat 1996 ~ Carnival Fascination 2006 ~ Carnival Inspiration 2006 ~ Carnival Valor 2008 ~ Disney Wonder 2009 ~ Carnival Destiny 2010 ~ Carnival Destiny 2010 ~ Carnival Freedom 2010 ~ Carnival Imagination 2011 ~ Carnival Sensation 2011 ~ Carnival Imagination 2012 ~ Carnival Paradise 2012 ~ Carnival Victory 2013 ~ Carnival Breeze 2014

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:32 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

---
You are luckier than you think. I'm surprised you even fell for it, but you might have been in love with love. For what you paid for the cruise, he had plenty of time to contribute his portion without waiting for a bonus 7 months after booking! There must be more to the story for you to yet find out.

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:43 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamirpr View Post
Hmm...well, I hope this thread doesn't turn into relationship counseling or a debate on who's right and who's wrong. I have a feeling people are going to be sympathetic to XBF now.

Bottom line is, go have fun. Make the best of your trip and kick up your heels!
They were both wrong. Him, for knowing the date of the cruise was on a birthday, suddenly it became important? and allowing her to foot the bill. Her, if she'd thought it out, should have raised a flag financially. There are relationship facts we don't know about, and potentially SHE didn't know about.
I hope the poster keeps her head on straight, sees what happened as a positive sign and that she needs to move on in her life.

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:54 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:

---
Hmmm. Sounds like a case for Judge Milan and the Peoples's Court.

Holiday 08-94
Fascination 05-96
Inspiration 05-97
Fascination 05-99
Fantasy 12-00
Victory 01-02
Fantasy 01-03
Destiny 01-04
Valor 01-05
Fascination 03-05 (Platinum)
RCCL Grandeur of the Sea 05-06
Carnival Freedom 06-07 (Honeymoon Cruise to the Mediterranean)
Carnival Pride 09-09
Carnival Dream 09-10
Carnival Destiny 02-11
Carnival Freedom 01-12
Carnival Imagination 06-12
Carnival Glory 07-12
Carnival Imagination 1-13

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:57 AM
5,000+ Club

I think it all happened that way for a reason, Breezie. Be thankful you got rid of the dead weight and write off the cruise $$ to an expensive lesson learned. And I also think that whatever details as to what went down is your personal business, and nobody has any right to judge. It's none of our damn business what the reasons were, financially, family obligations, or otherwise. I was just going to comment on how cool it was everyone was being supportive and then the proverbial High Horse Rider crashed in.
2006 Vacation at the Jersey Shore with the kids
2007 Carnival Triumph-Western Caribbean
Photos:http://family.webshots.com/album/558943066QVrRjR
Review:http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=28447
2008 Vacation in the Rockies with the fam
2009 Carnival Glory- Western Caribbean
Photos:http://travel.webshots.com/album/575827622MeXRtX
Review:http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=60327
2011 Carnival Liberty- Eastern Caribbean
Photos:http://community.webshots.com/album/579557173JsjmiL
Review:http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=77429
2012 Carnival Freedom-8 Day Eastern
Review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...EntryID=111082
Photos: http://s1339.beta.photobucket.com/us...uise%2011-3-12

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:58 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdrseller View Post
Well, if he was dumb enough to miss a cruise...he is absolutely not worth your time. I say go girl and enjoy yourself. Mr. Right may be waiting on the ship for ya....but remember.... Cruising alone is better than cruising with someone that doesn't deserve you!!!

Enjoy your cruise!
Cruising alone is better than cruising with someone that doesn't deserve you!!

You got that right!

Breezie,,, Im sorry, but rdrseller is right. You go and have a blast! Somewhere and sometime you will meet the right one! Have a great cruise and try to forget about him.

Last edited by SMSACE6; March 1st, 2012 at 09:00 AM.

Old March 1st, 2012, 08:58 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbrod View Post
I was thinking Joe Brown!
Liberty 5/08
Inspiration 9/08
Glory 5/09
Sensation 7/09
Sensation 10/09
Fascination 5/10
Inspiration 6/10
Dream 5/11
Ecstasy 12/11
Spirit 6/12
Freedom 5/13
Sensation 7/13
Ecstasy 12/13
Sensation 5/14

Old March 1st, 2012, 09:05 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:

---
I can relate! I was dumped by my parents due to illness on my Inspiration cruise, but I made the best of it. No sharing cabin, met different people at dinner (I had ATD), and I just did whatever I wanted.

Enjoy yourself!

INSPIRATION 3-Day FUNTIMES
http://m809.photobucket.com/albums--...times/?sa=trueInspiration (1/16/12)FUNTIMES 4-Day
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/group.php?groupid=233 DOUBLE NICKLE CRUISERS
http://boards.cruisecritic.co/group.php?groupid=12
http://boards.cruisecritic.co/group.php?groupid=26
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1501472 PARADISE Review
Inspiration Carnival Live Styx 9-15-15 http://s809.photobucket.com/user/ccr...20IN%20CONCERT

CRUISING NEXT ON CARNIVAL? 1/29/15 Imagination

------------PAST CRUISES----
ROYAL CARIBBEAN GOLD (3) Mariner & Monarch
Celebrity Classic (1) Millenium
Carnival Platinum (16) Elation, Pride, Splendor, Paradise, Inspiration, Miracle, Imagination
Princess Gold (1) Emerald
Holland America 1Star (2) Oosterdam, Volendam

Old March 1st, 2012, 09:10 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default He is a fool

To dump you before the cruise and not dump you after the cruise makes him a real DumbA** and not worth your time.

Besides he is a loser and I think Judge Judy should get involved.... you see this same thing on her show everyday. "Female supporting a bum" and him taking advatage of the female...will they never learn? My wife cannot believe hope gulluble girls are. It goes back the old saying "If you are getting free milk from the cow, why buy the cow". JMHO.

Last edited by jaxfl; March 1st, 2012 at 09:16 AM.

Old March 1st, 2012, 09:11 AM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepbrod View Post
I was thinking Judge Judy - she has little patience for fools, and this guy sure sounds like one!
NCL Gem 8/16/14 (10100) ; CCL Conquest 2/16/14 (7434); RCCL FOS Xmas 12/22/13 (GS1578);NCL Breakaway 8/18/13 (9728);CCL Breeze 3/24/13 (8232); CCL Breeze Xmas 12/22/12 (8244/8248); CCL Spirit 8/21/12 (7189); CCL Liberty Xmas 12/24/11 (7414/18); CLL Miracle 8/26/11 (4165); CCL Glory 2/20/11 (9242); CCL Dream Xmas/NYE 12/23/10 (8319/23) Platinum; CCL Glory 7/31/10 (8285); CCL Liberty 2/13/10 (7434); CCL Fantasy 7/25/09 (U97); CCL Miracle Xmas 12/23/08 (6232); CCL Freedom 4/19/08 (6229);CCL Freedom Xmas 12/22/07 (7414/7418); CCL Valor 8/19/07 (8212); CCL Destiny Xmas 12/24/06 (7250); CCL Liberty Xmas/NYE 12/24/05 (6220)Disney Magic Xmas '02; Disney Wonder 8/00; Disney Magic 8/98; Home Lines Homeric 6/86; Premier Big Red Boat Oceanic 6/85; Home Lines Atlantic 6/84

Old March 1st, 2012, 09:12 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamirpr View Post
I have a feeling people are going to be sympathetic to XBF now.
Not necessarily. He's old enough to know better. He was aware of the date when it was made and he stated to her that "it was not going to be a problem". Between then & now, either something happened to make him want to end the relationship, OR he wanted to leave all along - but never "manned - up". Now he feels that he needs to make it her fault and say its about his sons B-day and she's not being fair. IMHO, this clearly indicates a serious character flaw in him and even though it cost her some $$, its priceless - what she saved from a possible multi year/decades relationship and emotional commitment with a person that was never really "on board" with her anyways.

Just about every relationship that fails, does so because the offender lacks that strength or ability to be completely honest. Whether its a drug problem that they wont get help for, fallen out of love and find someone new on the side, sticky relationships with partners that have ties & obligations to children from past relationships or just simple immaturity.

Personally? I married my wife - knowing she had 2 young kids (3+5 at the time) from a guy that went to work one day......and NEVER came home. (WHO does that?!!) He "disappeared" for over 3 years, no calls, no notes, private investigator couldnt find him. She ended up having him declared legally dead. I was so impressed with her determination and work ethic, that I was determined to have her get married. (even if it took slipping her some Ketamine!...Kidding!!)

We are married 17 years this past Thursday. Guess who shows up on my doorstep about 8 years ago? Yep....her ex. I had no idea who he was until she walked past the door, seen who it was and pushed me aside as she jumped on him and started beating him senseless! Now my wife is so mild that she's been known to take animals that have been hit by cars and nurse them back to health, to see her beating the crap out of this guy, while he's trying to get away - was priceless!! Cops came, they said he didnt exist - had ID matched someone who was "dead"! Hoo-boy, he went off on a rant about how he has been fighting to prove he's alive, every time he got his license renewed, voted, got a credit card, background check for jobs....

Anyways, enough of my rant. You will do well to learn what you can from this relationship, good & bad - then move on. Is it easy? Not at all....and that indicates how committed YOU were to the relationship. Personally? I would have brought his son. 3rd passenger in a cabin is crazy-cheap. BUT....I really feel that he wanted out and just need you to be the bad guy and give him a reason.

Live. Learn. Move on..

Closed Thread