Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Cruise Discussion Topics > Cruise Air

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Old March 9th, 2012, 01:31 PM
5,000+ Club

Default Changing analogies - Baseball and Airlines

Times change. I guess the same holds true for analogies. Or disconnected analogies.

I've often said here that buying an airline ticket is different than buying a concert ticket or a baseball ticket. That the dynamic pricing mechanisms for airline ticket prices rendered comparisons to other purchase processes (such as baseball tickets) as inaccurate.

I'm going to have to find a new analogy pair to use. From the Seattle Times:
Quote:
When the Mariners put single-game tickets on sale Saturday morning, fans may not notice a lot different from previous seasons. Pick a seat, get out your credit card and lock in your purchase.

In fact, a lot has changed. Fans may buy the same ticket a week later and pay more. Or less.

Welcome to "dynamic pricing," the next big thing in the sports industry.

That system, also known as demand-based pricing, has been used for years in the airline and hotel industries. Buy a plane ticket early and you might pay less, and if you're flexible on dates, you might save even more.

For the Mariners, the price of each game ticket throughout the season can fluctuate based on how attractive fans perceive it to be. Call it a new form of "Moneyball," in which the amount of money being paid to watch a game is determined partly by computer analysis.
And it is not just the Mariners. Maybe the airline's have had it right all along and other businesses are just catching up. Eh?

You can read the whole story HERE.

"Anybody who believes they can out-think the airlines' revenue/yield management computer algorithms is, in my view, delusional." -- Gardyloo

"It doesn't really make a blind bit of difference what other people are paying since they're traveling from different airports, on different days, at different times of the year." -- fbgd

"Daddy he hates airplanes, Baby loves to fly. The Lady wants to know the reason why." -- Michael Franks

My standard response to all the questions of "Can I make that early flight home?" or "Can I take a bag that is oversized without paying?":
"Well, you gotta ask yourself....do you feel lucky? Well do you?" -- Inspector Harry Callahan

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 9th, 2012, 02:09 PM
5,000+ Club

I know that for several years now, the Blue Jays have charged more for a Yankees or a Red Sox game than they would for say, the Royals or A's. However they haven't gone so far as to raise the price of an A's game if it was selling well. Yet anyway. I was talking to my dad last week, who's spending a couple months in the Tampa area, and asked if he was going to take in some games. He mentioned that the Yankees have different price ranges at spring training games based on who they are playing.

"I'd Rather Be On A Ship With A Drink On The Rocks, Than In The Drink With A Ship On The
Rocks."

Fond Memories Of

Navigator Of The Seas - Western Caribbean - Jan 2011
Carnival Pride - Grand Turk and Bahamas - Twins First Cruise - Aug 2009
Caribbean Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Jan 2008
Sapphire Princess - Mexican Riviera - Jan 2006
Carnival Victory - Canada/New England - Sept 2001
Carnival Tropicale - Panama Canal - Jan 2001
Grand Princess - Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1999
Westerdam - Honeymoon -Eastern Caribbean - Nov 1995

Old March 9th, 2012, 04:27 PM
5,000+ Club

And, the Dodgers are operating in bankruptcy and stadiums charge a lot if you want anything to eat or drink.
Carnival Paradise, Baja- January 2007
HAL Zaandam, Alaska- July 2008
HAL Oosterdam, Sea of Cortez- April 2010
X Summit, Southern Caribbean Part 1- November 2012
X Summit, Southern Caribbean Part 2- November 2013

Old March 9th, 2012, 06:13 PM
10,000+ Club

I HATE baseball and even though the Cactus League is big time in Az, we never go. But this is sure true of the Arizona Cardinals and the KC Chiefs in regards to pricing. Some games you pay more for a single seat due to who the competition is. Raiders/Chiefs-PREMIUM prices for the game (I think everyone wants to watch the fights in the stands rather than the game).

And if Peyton Manning comes to AZ, watch out. Some of the games will be out of reach of the average person.

Old March 9th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Cool Cruiser

Thinking about it I guess it is a matter of time that this would happen. The going rate for tickets on stub hub for some events is quite a bit over the face value. A friend of mine has a standing order for the Fesita Bowl and typically make money every year. I suppose the teams themselves want in on that action.

I know that the plan is to reduce the capacity of Sun Devil Stadium for the same reason that the airlines reduce capacity.

I can't stand baseball either but do like going to baseball games. Weird interest that I have of stadium/arena architecture.
5/08 Carnival Conquest-Western Caribbean
1/09 Zaandam- Hawaii
5/09 Mariner of the Seas- Pacific Coast FKA Mexican Riviera cruise
3/10 Radiance of the Seas-Mexican Rivera
3/11 Explorer Of the seas - eastern carribbean
3/12 Ryndam - Southern Carribbean

Last edited by Sparky on the seas; March 9th, 2012 at 09:12 PM.

Old March 10th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

So if the Mariners are adopting "dynamic pricing" for single-game tickets, given their recent performance, seats for a September night game v. the Royals or As ought to be priced in the minus tens of dollars. With a free pass to the lounge and a complimentary beer or two.

Old March 10th, 2012, 02:18 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gardyloo View Post
So if the Mariners are adopting "dynamic pricing" for single-game tickets, given their recent performance, seats for a September night game v. the Royals or As ought to be priced in the minus tens of dollars. With a free pass to the lounge and a complimentary beer or two.
If they tossed in some FF miles, we could have a CC CruiseAir forum party.

"Anybody who believes they can out-think the airlines' revenue/yield management computer algorithms is, in my view, delusional." -- Gardyloo

"It doesn't really make a blind bit of difference what other people are paying since they're traveling from different airports, on different days, at different times of the year." -- fbgd

"Daddy he hates airplanes, Baby loves to fly. The Lady wants to know the reason why." -- Michael Franks

My standard response to all the questions of "Can I make that early flight home?" or "Can I take a bag that is oversized without paying?":
"Well, you gotta ask yourself....do you feel lucky? Well do you?" -- Inspector Harry Callahan

Old March 10th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

So what's next, luggage fee's for the game too ?

Srpilo

~~ Silhouette ~~
Rome to Fort Lauderdale 15 Day Transatlantic November 1st 2014

~~ Caribbean Princess ~~
Southampton to New York 16 day Transatlantic September 5th 2015