Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Family Cruises

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Family Cruises Cruising with kids? Best Family Cruise Advice
Cruise Critic's Family Cruising Resources
Traveling with kids? Best Family Travel Advice
Family Vacation Critic's Family Travel Site

Old March 7th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Cool Cruiser

Unhappy Just found out were pregnant don't think we will have time to get form filled out?

We leave in a little more then a week for our cruise on carnival and we just found out were pregnant!
I have my first OB appointment tomorrow which was hard to book because she is full up.
I can not get to the form, It takes me to a website that asks for a username and password!
Can My dr write some kind of note stating I am safe to travel or does it have to be that specific form from them?
What happens if I don't get the form in time? This cruise is a huge deal for us. This is a once in a lifetime chance.
I'm only 8 weeks along max and my other pregnancies have been uncomplicated and healthy.
I almost want to just mums the word! I mean we are not even telling family yet!Is there any harm in just keeping this to ourselves?
I have read to many other stories where people were stressing getting this form before they cruise! Why is the form so hard to track down? I do not want to be dishonest with the cruise but, seriously this opportunity for us will never happen again
If we can't go on this cruise we are out over 8oo bucks plus the campsite and hotel we booked because we have to road trip for 2 days to get to port!

Old March 7th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

You are fine. They are more worried about you being past a time period - I think it's 26 or 22 weeks. They don't want you to deliver prematurely and not be able to offer on board neonatal care. Think of it as a "don't ask, don't tell" thing. No one but you needs to know. Stop stressing, it's not good for you or the baby
Ocean Princess - Western Mediterranean - 10/10 -- Ruby Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 3/10 -- Island Princess - Coastal 5/09 -- Sapphire Princess - New Zealand/Australia 3/08 -- Sapphire Princess - Coastal 5/07 -- Tahitian Princess - Tahiti/Hawaii 7/06 -- Island Princess - Coastal/Alaska 5/06 -- Golden Princess - Southern Caribbean 9/04 -- Sun Princess - Coastal - 4/04 -- Sun Princess - Panama Canal - 4/01 -- Carnival - Caribbean - 11/00 -- Royal Caribbean - Caribbean 7/99 -- Grand Princess - Caribbean - 11/98 -- Pacific Princess - Mediterranean - 11/97 -- Sun Princess - Western Caribbean - 12/95 -- Regal Princess - Western Caribbean - 11/94 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 5/93 -- Dawn Princess - Mexico 4/93 -- Fair Princess - Mexico - 12/92 -- Regal Princess - Alaska - 5/92 -- Regal Princess - Eastern Caribbean - 8/91 -- Fairsky - Western Caribbean - 4/87 -- Fairwind - Eastern Caribbean - 4/84

Last edited by notentirelynormal; March 7th, 2012 at 05:23 PM. Reason: .

Old March 7th, 2012, 05:49 PM
Cool Cruiser

I didn't even acknowlege my own pregnancies until about 12 weeks. I see no reason to tell them. Even if you were having some issues on land, there's nothing your OB could or would do anyway. Enjoy your cruise!

Old March 7th, 2012, 06:34 PM
5,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwondering0605 View Post
We leave in a little more then a week for our cruise on carnival and we just found out were pregnant!
I have my first OB appointment tomorrow which was hard to book because she is full up.
I can not get to the form, It takes me to a website that asks for a username and password!
Can My dr write some kind of note stating I am safe to travel or does it have to be that specific form from them?
What happens if I don't get the form in time? This cruise is a huge deal for us. This is a once in a lifetime chance.
I'm only 8 weeks along max and my other pregnancies have been uncomplicated and healthy.
I almost want to just mums the word! I mean we are not even telling family yet!Is there any harm in just keeping this to ourselves?
I have read to many other stories where people were stressing getting this form before they cruise! Why is the form so hard to track down? I do not want to be dishonest with the cruise but, seriously this opportunity for us will never happen again
If we can't go on this cruise we are out over 8oo bucks plus the campsite and hotel we booked because we have to road trip for 2 days to get to port!
This is directly from the Carnival website.

Quote:
PREGNANCY POLICY
Pregnant women are only allowed to sail if pregnant for 24 completed weeks or less at time of cruise disembarkation. All pregnant women are required to produce a physician’s letter stating that mother and baby are in good health, fit to travel and the pregnancy is not high-risk. The letter must also include the estimated date of delivery (EDD).
http://www.carnival.com/CMS/Static_T...cy_policy.aspx

Old March 7th, 2012, 06:40 PM
50,000+ Club

If you don't look pregnant, no one will question you at all.

Ad Sponsored By
Old March 7th, 2012, 07:25 PM
Cool Cruiser

I wouldn't tell them. They won't be able to tell from looking at you if you are only 8 weeks along. Have a great cruise.

Zaandam July 11 2014 Alaska - Tracy Arm 7 day
Emerald Princess Mar. 29 2014 10 day E. Caribbean
Maasdam Dec 6 2013 - 14 day Southern Caribbean
Maasdam Apr 1 2013 Eastern Caribbean 11 day
Grand Princess - November 2012 14 day
Emerald Princess - April 2012 10 day
Westerdam -South. Caribbean, Nov. 2011, 7 day
Eurodam - East. Caribbean, October 2010 7 day

Old March 8th, 2012, 09:15 AM
5,000+ Club

I would just go at 8 weeks of pregnancy and not tell.

Old March 8th, 2012, 06:43 PM
Cool Cruiser

Just wanted to say have a great trip, and Congrats!!!!!

Old March 8th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Cool Cruiser

I personally wouldn't tell at 8 weeks as it is just generally accepted that one doesn't until 12. But if it is not too hard to get a note from the doctor while there, I'd do that and just have it on hand. When I cruised at 20 weeks (and looked massive!) I had a letter from my doctor, no special form, and that was fine.
*RCCL Nordic Empress - Bermuda - 2002
*RCCL Radiance - Alaska - 2003
*RCCL Splendour - Mediterranean - 2005
*Celebrity Century - Mexico - 2007
*NCL Gem - FL/Bahamas - 2008
*Caribbean Princess - Canada - June 2011
--> Celebrity Summit -Caribbean - March 2012

Old March 8th, 2012, 10:09 PM
Cool Cruiser

I wouldn't tell them either but have the dr note just in case. Its nothing to be nervous about. They don't go around asking every woman if they are pregnant.

Old March 9th, 2012, 04:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

I cruised at both 6 weeks and at 20 weeks. I think it is important (for safety reasons) to notify the cruise line. I would call and let them know you just found out you were pregnant. I would also see about getting a note from your OB just to be safe. Most OB's are more than willing to do this, even with short notice. That way you are covered.

Norwegian Breakaway-FL and Bahamas, December 2013
Norwegian Epic-Eastern Caribbean, January 2013
Liberty of the Seas-Caribbean, December 2011
Disney Dream-Bahamas, May 2011
Norwegian Jewel-FL and Bahamas, August 2010
Disney Wonder-Bahamas, December 2008
Celebrity Constellation-Transatlantic, Sept 2007
Carnival Elation-Bahamas, December 2006
Carnival Paradise-Eastern Caribbean, December 2002
Norwegian Seaward-Western Caribbean, December 1993

Old March 9th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Cool Cruiser

I cruised when i was 16 weeks pregnant with my son and they never even asked. They didnt ask, i didnt tell. My sister cruised when she was 20 weeks and didnt say anything either.
Norwegian Jewel- 10/2010 *dd first cruise*
Carnival Pride- 9/2012 *ds first cruise*
Carnival Pride- 5/2013
Norwegian Breakaway- 4/2014

Old March 9th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

I would not tell the cruiseline (or even many relatives) about being 8 weeks but have a note from my OB if it is easy to get to have just in case and to make you less stressed about it.

Like others have said the main thing is that they are wanting to avoid premature labor since they do not have the necessary medical care for a delivery. At that early in the pregnancy it wouldn't be a concern.

PICS:
Allure as a family '12 pics
Miracle w/ my parents '09 pics
February on the Freedom '09 pics
Halloween on the Holiday '08 pics
Anniversary on Liberty of Seas '08 pics
check out all my vacation pics here
UPCOMING CRUISES
Allure of the Seas- September 7, 2014
My Past Cruises
Aug .13 Freedom of the Seas ~ Oct. 12 Allure of the Seas ~ Jan 10 Carnival Glory ~ Oct 09 Carnival Fantasy ~ April 09 Carnival Miracle ~ Feb09 Carnival Freedom - My first VIP Cruise ~ Oct08 HALLOWEEN on the Holiday to Cozumel ~ May08 Liberty of the Seas to Western Caribbean
~May07 Carnival Valor to Eastern Caribbean (Married on board!!!) ~ July06 Carnival Victory to Canada~May03 Carnival Destiny to Southern Caribbean~ May02 Carnival Victory to Western Caribbean~ June01 Carnival Triumph to Eastern Caribbean~June98 Carnival Fantasy to Bahamas~ July94 Carnival Ecstasy to Mexico~

Old March 10th, 2012, 10:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

The only reason I would tell the cruise line is that miscarriage/ectopic pregnancies can occur in the 1st trimester. I know it is a morbid thought (and I HATE to be the one to bring it up) but in case there is bleeding and a doctor needs to be seen, at least the cruise line will have knowledge of the pregnancy ahead of time. In addition, morning sickness is also common at this point in pregnancy. Between the motion of the boat and morning sickness, again, a doctor may need to be consulted. I just wouldn't take the chance and not tell them. Again, these may be extremes but they do occur. Make sure to have good travel insurance as well. Most likely everything will be fine and you will have a great time. I would just cover all of my bases.

Old March 10th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default All of you guys rock!

Thank you for all the helpful information, advice, & well wishes!

Old March 12th, 2012, 02:08 AM
Cool Cruiser

Congrats with your pregnancy I cruised when I was 22 weeks and I didnt notify them in advance and forgot to give them the note from my Dr. at the pier so you are fine just have a great cruise
Carnival Destiny May 2009
Celebrity Infinity Sept 2009
NCL Pearl Jan 2010
RCCL Mariner of the Seas May 2010
NCL Epic Sept 2010
HAL Veendam Sept 2011
NCL Dawn Dec 2011
NCL Star Sept 2012
HAL Rotterdam 2014

Old March 12th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymollysue View Post
The only reason I would tell the cruise line is that miscarriage/ectopic pregnancies can occur in the 1st trimester. I know it is a morbid thought (and I HATE to be the one to bring it up) but in case there is bleeding and a doctor needs to be seen, at least the cruise line will have knowledge of the pregnancy ahead of time. In addition, morning sickness is also common at this point in pregnancy. Between the motion of the boat and morning sickness, again, a doctor may need to be consulted. I just wouldn't take the chance and not tell them. Again, these may be extremes but they do occur. Make sure to have good travel insurance as well. Most likely everything will be fine and you will have a great time. I would just cover all of my bases.
If any of this did occur, the ship's doctor could be informed of the pregnancy then. Them knowing in advance is not going to do anything to help if something goes wrong.

Old March 12th, 2012, 10:29 PM
Cool Cruiser

You will probably be OK if you have the note and do not disclose the pregnancy to them. I wouldn't take the risk of traveling without the note though. If something does happen, and they find out you are pregnant, and do not have a note from your doctor saying you are healthy to travel, they could ask you to leave the ship at the next port.

They do NOT want the liability of a high risk pregnancy at any gestational age and can't take any chances. That is why the have this policy in place.

Old March 13th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb at sea View Post
If you don't look pregnant, no one will question you at all.
This is what I was going to say. I was 20 weeks and no one at check in could tell (high counter + loose top). I had all my paperwork in order but didn't volunteer the information....no one asked!

RCI Adventure ~ 03/13
RCI Jewel ~ 01/12
RCI Navigator ~ 01/11
NCL Dawn ~ 03/08

Old March 14th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by mymollysue View Post
You will probably be OK if you have the note and do not disclose the pregnancy to them. I wouldn't take the risk of traveling without the note though. If something does happen, and they find out you are pregnant, and do not have a note from your doctor saying you are healthy to travel, they could ask you to leave the ship at the next port.

They do NOT want the liability of a high risk pregnancy at any gestational age and can't take any chances. That is why the have this policy in place.
Many people don't even know they're pregnant at 8 weeks - I can't imagine them kicking you off the ship because you didn't tell them you are 8 weeks pregnant! Since the risk of m/c in the first trimester is 1 in 4 (most very early), I don't think any first trimester pregnancy is considered high risk - there is nothing one can do or not do to cause or prevent a m/c.