Go Back   Cruise Critic Message Board Forums > Special Interest Cruising > Gay & Lesbian Cruisers

Register here!
Forgot Your Password?

Notices

Gay & Lesbian Cruisers A Gathering Place for Discussing Your Favorite Cruises.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 01:44 AM
Cool Cruiser

Talking Now that's funny!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastSideGuy View Post
I'm surprised they don't do a new detective series with Angela Lansbury on Atlantis cruises - something seems to happen on every one. A suspected suicide on one in February, a drug dealer arrested last year, a 40-year old GLAAD board member died of a heart attack on 2009...

...Stay tuned for St. Petersburg this Summer. Miss Lansbury, get your Jessica Fletcher costume ready.
Angela is about 100 so not sure if she'll be game for the cast, how about Liza Minelli in the lead role with one of her ex gay husbands as the comic relief sidekick?

Last edited by johhnnyt; March 22nd, 2012 at 01:45 AM.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:38 AM
Cool Cruiser

Default Thank You

Hi Johnny -

Glad you like the idea. Actually, we could get Angela Lansbury to team up with Liza Minelli, and then throw Joan Collins into the mix - sort of a gay, geriatric Charlie's Angels, getting gay cruisers out of trouble on chartered liners.

I see you're in Dutchess County - if you go to the NYC thread here, we're talking about a LGBT cruise happy hour on April 20, probably near Grand Central.

I know this thread is about Domenica, so apologies for a side topic. To quote the late, great Sophia Petrillo, "But I digress".

Old March 22nd, 2012, 05:09 AM
Cool Cruiser

Thanks I'll take a look at that thread

Bottom line I guess on this topic to me isn't about Atlantis. If people are stupid enough to be naked and having sex in a public place in a foreign country, you need to be ready to deal with the consequences. It's simple respect for the people around you. If you want to have sex go to your room, not in a public place.
I've been to a lot of countries in the Asia and particularly the Mideast where I don't agree with ther rules and regulation, but I do RESPECT them and follow them while I'm there, they have the home court advantage.

Last edited by johhnnyt; March 22nd, 2012 at 05:09 AM.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:16 AM
10,000+ Club

According to the articles I read, these men were SEEN having sex from the shore. They may well have brought this on themselves if they were having sex on their balcony. Still, the reaction from Rich is sadly typical of his ethics and a bad reflection on Atlantis.
Past Cruises: RCL (Allure, Oasis, Freedom, Liberty (x2), Adventure, Navigator, Mariner, Brilliance, Enchantment (x2), Majesty (x2), Sovereign), Celebrity (Constellation, Century, Solstice(x2), Eclipse), HAL (Westerdam), NCL (Sky, Star), Princess (Sapphire Princess, Ocean Princess), Carnival (Dream)

Upcoming: Celebrity Reflection - November 2013 * Quantum of the Seas - January 2015

Last edited by Schplinky; March 22nd, 2012 at 08:16 AM.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 08:21 AM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boytjie View Post
As I told you before: PlanetOut never owned Atlantis.

And pray tell what your beef would be with RSVP? It was previously owned by PlanetOut and now by Atlantis and the only issue I recall seeing about them in the press is that they almost went under (you know, like not making enough profits).
Sorry. They(Planetout )did go under & was bought by Here network. I've nothing against RSVP except their prices. I still wouldn't do an all gay cruise. Just not our thing. If the events that occurred had been on a mainstream cruise, I'll bet none of this would have happened. The country knew this was a gay charter from the beginning & were looking for a reason to prosecute.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:18 AM
Cool Cruiser

Having been to the Caribbean many times, it stinks that you're in serious jeopardy if two men/women kiss while visiting (most) island countries.

Aside from the physical harm we hear of periodically, these government officials (unfortunately) have the right to board a ship.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:47 AM
10,000+ Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithm View Post
The country knew this was a gay charter from the beginning & were looking for a reason to prosecute.

How exactly do you know this? Let's not play the victim here until the facts are fully known. These men may have been being lewd on their balconies which would be objectionable to most. I imagine straight people having sex on their balconies would be arrested too, albeit under different indecency laws.
Past Cruises: RCL (Allure, Oasis, Freedom, Liberty (x2), Adventure, Navigator, Mariner, Brilliance, Enchantment (x2), Majesty (x2), Sovereign), Celebrity (Constellation, Century, Solstice(x2), Eclipse), HAL (Westerdam), NCL (Sky, Star), Princess (Sapphire Princess, Ocean Princess), Carnival (Dream)

Upcoming: Celebrity Reflection - November 2013 * Quantum of the Seas - January 2015

Old March 22nd, 2012, 09:50 AM
Cool Cruiser

You can imagine the fun they are having with this on the CELEBRITY board.
Norway...1983, Sovereign Of The Seas...1993, Zenith...1994, Sovereign Of The Seas...1998, Explorer Of The Seas...2002, Norwegian Dawn...2003, Celebrity Infinity...2004, Celebrity Constellation...2005, Zuiderdam...2006, Celebrity Solstice...2008, Norwegian Star...2009, Sapphire Princess...Apr 2011, Grand Princess...Feb 2012, Norwegian Dawn...Oct 2012, Oasis Of The Seas...Feb 2014, Grand Princess...Aug 2014, Allure Of The Seas...Jan 2015

Old March 22nd, 2012, 11:32 AM
Cool Cruiser

Were they doing it on the balcony??
How else would they be seen?
MIAMI MARLINS
FLORIDA PANTHERS
CHICAGO BULLS
CHICAGO BEARS

2015--MSC Divina
2014--MSC Divina
2014--NCL Epic
2013--Carnival Breeze
2013--RCCL Liberty of the Seas
2012--NCL Sky
2012--NCL Sky
2011--NCL Sky
2011--NCL Epic
2010--RCCL Independence of the Seas
2010--Celebrity Century
2009--NCL Pearl
2009--NCL Sky
2009--Carnival Destiny
2009--RCCL Freedom of the Seas
2008--Celebrity Constellation
2007--HAL Westerdam
2007--RCCL Liberty of the Seas
2006--Caribbean Princess
2005--RCCL Brilliance of the Seas
2003--Carnival Imagination
2002--RCCL Monarch of the Seas
2001--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
2000--Carnival Imagination
1999--Carnival Fascination
1998--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
1996--RCCL Majesty of the Seas
1994--NCL Windward
1993--NCL Westward

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:13 PM
Cool Cruiser

It's over in Dominica. The men plead guilty on the charge of indecent exposure and the buggery charge was dropped according to article in Dominica News Online.

The fine is the USD equivalent of $900 each, which it appears they have paid.

My favorite bit is at the end when the judge is quoted: "Both men then apologized to the court for their actions but were labeled by Chief Magistrate Evalina Baptiste as “rouges and vagabonds.”

Oh, and one is retired police officer and the other is a "personal assistant real estate agent". They claim that yes, they were naked on their balcony but were not involved in any form of sexual activity.

I'd really like to hear their story after they leave Dominica.

Last edited by Ken_W; March 22nd, 2012 at 02:15 PM.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:31 PM
Cool Cruiser

And from the Atlantis Events Facebook page;

Please accept my apology for the late post, we have been at sea for the past 18 hours with limited internet access.

We appreciate the comments on this board regarding the incident in Dominica yesterday, but would sincerely ask that most of you get the facts correct before condemning Atlantis or Dominica for what happened. Here are the facts:

Yesterday morning around 9:30 am two of our guests were seen engaging in a sexual act outdoors on their balcony in full public view of the port and town. Not only did many of the residents witness the act, several of our guests saw this incident as well. The local authorities responded to a complaint by several residents. The two gentlemen were arrested on a misdemeanor charge of public indecency and detained overnight. They appeared in front of the local magistrate this morning, paid a small fine, and were released in full.

Please understand that the complaint and subsequent arrests had nothing to do with the guests’ sexual orientation, nor was any “anti-gay” law invoked. These guests were engaged in behavior that is inappropriate in any port of call, or major city for that matter.

The guests were never left on their own. We had both representatives from Atlantis and Celebrity cruises with them at all times during their ordeal and had our local representatives look after them last night. Furthermore, we worked closely with the US Embassy in Barbados to assure that their safety was always being monitored.

Atlantis had 2000 guests in port yesterday in Dominica and most of them had an outstanding time visiting the country. Celebrity Cruises has been extremely supportive, working with Atlantis to insure these guests’ safety and security despite their detention in Dominica. We commend them for their unwavering support through this incident.

Thank you.

Sincerely,
Rich Campbell
President, Atlantis Events, Inc.

Rich Campbell is saying he believes that a heterosexual couple would have encountered the same reaction from the Dominica authorities. I assume that would include being called "rogues and vagabonds" by the judge.

Last edited by Ken_W; March 22nd, 2012 at 02:34 PM.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:54 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default Maybe $900 is small for Rich Campbell

but it might be a lot for those 2 passengers. Stupidity should not require a fine or jail. He should cover their fine as he could lose a lot of future cruisers. And who will sail with them to Dominica?And then Celebrity could charge them $250 each if they had a cigarette after their tryst on the balcony.

Last edited by m steve; March 22nd, 2012 at 02:55 PM.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:56 PM
10,000+ Club

Why would he pay their fines? They did something that would be considered lewd and illegal in Miami, New York or Toronto. Why would they presume it was okay to stage their own sex performance in Dominica?

Old March 22nd, 2012, 02:59 PM
Cool Cruiser

Default They probably would get a warning in

New York or Miami. And become married in Canada.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:02 PM
10,000+ Club

Lol but they broke the law; they pay the price.

Last edited by Schplinky; March 22nd, 2012 at 03:12 PM.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 03:22 PM
10,000+ Club

Rich Cambpell:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken_W View Post
The two gentlemen were arrested on a misdemeanor charge of public indecency and detained overnight. They appeared in front of the local magistrate this morning, paid a small fine, and were released in full.
Well, they were arrested also for buggery - which was later dropped - so I am sure at the time they were arrested for much more than a misdemeanor at the time.

Rich may think $900 is a "small fine", most of his clients may disagree.

Future Cruise:
RSVP Regal Princess Feb 8 2015 Western Caribbean
Past Cruises:
RSVP Caribbean Fantasy - Caribbean Princess Feb 2007
RSVP Alaska Gold Rush - Amsterdam Sep 2007
RSVP Exotic Caribbean - Zuiderdam Feb 2008
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2009
Lewis R. French Schooner in Maine - July2009
Labor Day Getaway (Pied Piper) - QM2 Sep 2009
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2010
RSVP Hawaii - Pride of America Oct 2010
RSVP Eastern Caribbean - Nieuw Amsterdam Feb 2012
RSVP Southern Caribbean - Eurodam Feb 2013
RSVP Divina Caribbean - MSC Divina Feb 2014

Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:16 PM
10,000+ Club

March 21 Summit
Celebrity Cruises Associated Press reports two California men on a gay cruise of the Caribbean were arrested Wednesday in Dominica, where sex between two men is illegal. Police Constable John George said the men were seen having sex on the cruise ship by someone on the dock. The two were later charged with indecent exposure and are scheduled to appear before a magistrate Thursday morning. If found guilty, they could be fined $370 each and face up to six months in jail. The ship carrying about 2,000 passengers departed Puerto Rico on Saturday and arrived in Dominica on Wednesday. It departed for St. Barts without the men, who are being held in a cell at police headquarters in the capital of Roseau. The cruise was organized by Atlantis Events, a Southern California company that specializes in gay travel. President Rich Campbell, who is aboard the cruise, said in a phone interview earlier that he thought the two men would be released. He said he expects the two men to be released on Thursday and that they only face misdemeanor charges. "The guests actions were unfortunate but minor in this case and have no bearing on our overall guest experience," he said via email.
from
http://www.cruisejunkie.com/events.html

Next
Quantum of the Sea Dec 12, 2014

Emerald Princes's Cruise Critics
http://youtu.be/C8eHPfpeVYg

Golden Princess M&G &Slot pull
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31Tch02Q3MI

[color="Red"]Carnival Pride Cruise w/Meet & Greet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ADIa0Mm5XgA

Silhouette Meet and greet
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DL_qKxwziCY

Cruising Bermuda Triangle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BDCn0L7TwM

Pacific Princess Oct 21 2001 Bermuda; Golden Princess Dec 7 2002 Caribbean
Coral Princess Dec 9 2003 Panama; Carnival Miracle 17 Oct 2004 Bahamas
Carnival Paradise 4 April 2005 Baja; Carnival Triumph 30 July 2005 Canada
Norwegian Dawn 11 Dec 2005 Caribbean; Carnival Destiny 18 June 2006 Caribbean
NCL Spirit 10 Dec 2006 Caribbean; Carnival Miracle 10 Oct 2007 Caribbean
Diamond Princess 17 May 2008 Alaska; Explorer of the Sea 12 Dec 2008 Caribbean
NCL Jewel Oct 10, 2009 Canada,Celebrity Mercury 29 Oct 2010 "USA"
Celebrity Silhouette 6 Nov 2011 "Caribbean" "Carnival Pride" May 13, 2013, RCCL "Mariner" Oct 20, 2012
Golden Princess April 10, 2013 Hawaii
Emerald Princess Oct 26 2013 Canada to Florida

fsbsde@yahoo.com

Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:40 PM
Blue Ribbon Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schplinky View Post
They did something that would be considered lewd and illegal in Miami, New York or Toronto. Why would they presume it was okay to stage their own sex performance in Dominica?
While I'm sure most of the Atlantis cruises are on the up and up, I have heard them considered party circuit cruises, bath houses at sea, etc. The freedom of a vacation at sea with 2000 gay men is what is marketed. It would seem that if that's the atmosphere Atlantis is promoting, they should take some responsibility in how their clientele behave. Now I'm not discounting the fact that these guys should have used some common sense before screwing on the balcony - but perhaps Atlantis should err to caution and consider the fact that not everyone is well versed in the applicable laws of ships at sea or in port and maybe provide some warnings about what is appropriate while 12 miles out vs. alongside.

Our would that ruin their marketing strategy?
Ruby Princess 10/2014; Grand Princess 06/2014; Grand Princess 09/2013; Grand Princess 05/2013; Star Princess 10/2012; Emerald Princess 10/2011; Sapphire Princess 04/2011; Sea Princess 09/2010; Golden Princes 05/2010; Star Princess 04/2009; Dawn Princess 09/2008; Golden Princess 05/2008; Dawn Princess 11/2007; Island Princess, 04/2007; Regal Princess, 09/2006; Regal Princess, 05/2006; Dawn Princess, 12/2005; Island Princess, 04/2005; Regal Princess, 08/2004; Sun Princess, 03/2004; Pacific Princess 2, 07/2003; Star Princess, 05/2003; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Grand Princess, 10/2002; Sun Princess, 05/2001; Sun Princess, 04/2001; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Sun Princess, 09/2000; Regal Princess, 10/1999; Sun Princess, 08/1998; Holiday, 05/1998; Westerdam, 09/1997; Regal Princess, 11/1996; Royal Odyssey, 09/1995; Starward, 11/1993 - Member FBPCQ

Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:42 PM
10,000+ Club

[quote=bdjam;33009624]While I'm sure most of the Atlantis cruises are on the up and up, I have heard them considered party circuit cruises, bath houses at sea, etc. The freedom of a vacation at sea with 2000 gay men is what is marketed. It would seem that if that's the atmosphere Atlantis is promoting, they should take some responsibility in how their clientele behave. Now I'm not discounting the fact that these guys should have used some common sense before screwing on the balcony - but perhaps Atlantis should err to caution and consider the fact that not everyone is well versed in the applicable laws of ships at sea or in port and maybe provide some warnings about what is appropriate while 12 miles out vs. alongside.

Our would that ruin their marketing strategy? [/quote]

It likely would. Still, it is a slippery slope, for them. Do they start to pay the public drunkeness fines their pax might have, or pay if their clients are arrested on drug charges? Rich's method seems to be to encourage this type of behavior through the environment he creates and then disavow the behavior when it results in consequences.

Old March 22nd, 2012, 04:48 PM
Cool Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by johhnnyt View Post
Thanks I'll take a look at that thread

Bottom line I guess on this topic to me isn't about Atlantis. If people are stupid enough to be naked and having sex in a public place in a foreign country, you need to be ready to deal with the consequences. It's simple respect for the people around you. If you want to have sex go to your room, not in a public place.
I've been to a lot of countries in the Asia and particularly the Mideast where I don't agree with ther rules and regulation, but I do RESPECT them and follow them while I'm there, they have the home court advantage.
When in Rome... Right?!?!

-KD